Playstation RBN coming soon? Can we help?

Chris KleylaChris Kleyla Unsigned
edited September 2009 in The Rock Band Network
hmxsean;2729976 said:
We are working closely with the other consoles to get it work. We do hope that we can make this viable for all systems at some point.

Hey I was just wondering since HMX isn't opposed to RBN coming to other consoles, if there was anything we as Playstation and Wii owners can do to help Sony and Nintendo see the RBN light? i.e. petitions, angry letters, ect....

Also, thank HMXSean for the BBQ sacrifice to get the RBN news to us as soon as he did :)

Comments

• Alvarado6411Alvarado6411 Dethbringer
    edited July 2009
    You misled me with that title ;_;
  • Chris KleylaChris Kleyla Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    Alvarado6411;2754490 said:
    You misled me with that title ;_;
    Sry to get ur hopes up it's more of a goal :rolleyes:
  • monkeybreathmonkeybreath Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    i say wait. the RBN is bein set up on the xbox first as a way of testin to see if the network will be popular. if it is i doubt that their will be anything to stop em implementing it to both the ps3 and wii
  • MichuraMichura Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Chris Kleyla;2754474 said:
    Hey I was just wondering since HMX isn't opposed to RBN coming to other consoles, if there was anything we as Playstation and Wii owners can do to help Sony and Nintendo see the RBN light? i.e. petitions, angry letters, ect....

Also, thank HMXSean for the BBQ sacrifice to get the RBN news to us as soon as he did :)
    Too bad Sony gouges third party developers for content they put up on PSN for non-exclusive titles. On top of that, XBL already has the structure in place (XNA) to make this happen. I think it may take some time before this comes to PS3 users.
  • JackBNimbleJackBNimble Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Chris Kleyla;2754474 said:

I think sony has seen the light.I could be way off but I don't think sony is about to let something this big slip through their hands.And I do know Sony is working on things but they're tight lipped and no one really knows what it is.

But I have a warm and fuzzy feeling about things to come in the future.
    edited July 2009
    Michura;2754521 said:
    Too bad Sony gouges third party developers for content they put up on PSN for non-exclusive titles.
    Explain?
    edited July 2009
    JackBNimble;2754541 said:
    I think sony has seen the light.I could be way off but I don't think sony is about to let something this big slip through their hands.And I do know Sony is working on things but they're tight lipped and no one really knows what it is.

But I have a warm and fuzzy feeling about things to come in the future.
    Yeah I get that feeling too then crap like this happens and it makes me wonder how the Playstation brand fell so far :mad:
    edited July 2009
    Chris Kleyla;2754584 said:
    Yeah I get that feeling too then crap like this happens and it makes me wonder how the Playstation brand fell so far :mad:
    Fell from what?

Ye of little faith...
    edited July 2009
    JackBNimble;2754611 said:
    Fell from what?

Ye of little faith...
    The ps2 days when I was totally unaware of any exclusives that xbox had minus halo and kotor. Back when HMX was exclusive to playstation, Back when it your friends didn't marvel at the fact you had a playstation because it was the 1st one they'd seen outside of a store.
    edited July 2009
    Chris Kleyla;2754653 said:
    The ps2 days when I was totally unaware of any exclusives that xbox had minus halo and kotor. Back when HMX was exclusive to playstation, Back when it your friends didn't marvel at the fact you had a playstation because it was the 1st one they'd seen outside of a store.
    This is what you consider fallen? WOW...
  • SoratarSoratar Scapegoat
    edited July 2009
    I hope that the full Network comes out for the PS3 soon.
    edited July 2009
    ^^^^So do I , although I will not be submiting music, but it would be nice to have the full access to RBN.^^^^
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    If you haven't noticed, PS3 and Wii always get the 2nd hand from HMX. The precious XBox always gets first dibs on everything.
  • SoratarSoratar Scapegoat
    edited July 2009
    JackBNimble;2754854 said:
    ^^^^So do I , although I will not be submiting music, but it would be nice to have the full access to RBN.^^^^
    Yeah. I don't want to miss out songs being put out by my favorite band just because of them only being on the 360.
    edited July 2009
    Soratar;2754868 said:
    Yeah. I don't want to miss out songs being put out by my favorite band just because of them only being on the 360.
    Yeah I don't really trust 360 fans tastes in music, what with all the screaming 13 year olds I heard on halo, there might be some pretty bad stuff come down the pipes.
  • edited July 2009
    Chris Kleyla;2757609 said:
    Yeah I don't really trust 360 fans tastes in music, what with all the screaming 13 year olds I heard on halo, there might be some pretty bad stuff come down the pipes.
    loltrust me, not all 13 year olds are like that (atleast not yet, 9/04/ is coming...)
  • aggiesrul8aggiesrul8 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    irockprettyhard;2757674 said:
    loltrust me, not all 13 year olds are like that (atleast not yet, 9/04/ is coming...)
    Explanations are no longer required... ;)
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited July 2009

You do know that screaming 13 year olds are not in the bands that are submitting their music to RBN right?

Plus if you're worried about the screaming 13 year olds deciding what music goes onto the service, then I'd suggest to you that I don't know a lot of screaming 13 year olds who can spring a $100 to pay for the service.

On top of the fact that HMX said we are only judging on technical aspects and gameplay.

Music taste is not up for debate on the tracks.

So I'm not sure what your argument was any more.
  • edited July 2009
    Mega-Tallica;2754867 said:
    If you haven't noticed, PS3 and Wii always get the 2nd hand from HMX. The precious XBox always gets first dibs on everything.
    And again for those who haven't been paying attention in the back - we have been in touch with all the consoles for a long time. This project is over 16 months old on our end. Right now the 360 was the only console that had the infrastructure in place to support something like this. It isn't as easy as just patching our game. There has to be full support and infrastructure from the consoles as well.

And again - we are still in contact with all the first party consoles and would love nothing more than to be universal. at the moment, though, it just isn't possible.
  • psivennpsivenn Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    Speaking of patching the game, how's that coming along? :)

I'm really looking forward to RBN, even if I do have to wait until next year for it...
  • defenestraterdefenestrater Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Im pretty confident it'll show up on the ps3 and wii sooner or later. It sucks that one console gets it before the rest, but its also understandable given the specific circumstances.

EDIT: Also, this thread is cruelly titled. Talk about getting someone's hopes up! :(
    edited July 2009
    noble;2757733 said:
    You do know that screaming 13 year olds are not in the bands that are submitting their music to RBN right?

Plus if you're worried about the screaming 13 year olds deciding what music goes onto the service, then I'd suggest to you that I don't know a lot of screaming 13 year olds who can spring a $100 to pay for the service.

On top of the fact that HMX said we are only judging on technical aspects and gameplay.

Music taste is not up for debate on the tracks.

So I'm not sure what your argument was any more.
    You clearly had no Idea as to what I was talking about because from the looks of it you haven't been doing alot of reading so I'll put it in short for you. Since RBN will only be on the xbox for the time being only the most popular songs from RBN will be taken to the ps3 and wii along with the weekly does of dlc thus xbox users in a way will be deciding what dlc from RBN makes it to the other consoles. (I would put the supporting quotations in but I'm far too lazy)
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited July 2009
    psivenn;2757754 said:
    Speaking of patching the game, how's that coming along? :)

I'm really looking forward to RBN, even if I do have to wait until next year for it...

When RBN gets rolled out, sometime after the Beta is done... say September or October I am sure we will see the patch...
    edited July 2009
    Chris Kleyla;2758427 said:
    You clearly had no Idea as to what I was talking about because from the looks of it you haven't been doing alot of reading so I'll put it in short for you. Since RBN will only be on the xbox for the time being only the most popular songs from RBN will be taken to the ps3 and wii along with the weekly does of dlc thus xbox users in a way will be deciding what dlc from RBN makes it to the other consoles. (I would put the supporting quotations in but I'm far too lazy)

No they said select songs will be coming to RBN for the other systems.

Nothing about popular ;)
    edited July 2009
    noble;2758446 said:

Nothing about popular ;)
    so when they say "select" what do you think they mean. Do you think they're going to get Apples drunk and play pin the tail on the dlc although that is a pretty sweet idea. :cool:
  • IronPanda106IronPanda106 Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    Uh.. riiiiight... As a frequent player on the 360, I can honestly say that the youngest person I've met playing Rock Band is 17. I mostly run into people in their mid-to-late 20's and early 30's.
    Halo and Call of Duty are where the "screaming 13 year olds" hang out, which I find kind of ironic considering that both games are rated M and Rock Band is only T. I blame their parents!
    Haha, jk. I'm all about teenagers going around being loud and obnoxious pretending they're real tough stuff by shooting other people with a controller. :cool:
    edited July 2009
    Chris Kleyla;2758481 said:
    so when they say "select" what do you think they mean. Do you think they're going to get Apples drunk and play pin the tail on the dlc although that is a pretty sweet idea. :cool:

I heard it was Magnet.
  • CycoMiko138CycoMiko138 Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I think they mean that Harmonix will pick the songs, like they do already with no complaints from me.:D

(360 and 34 yrs. old, btw)
  • aggiesrul8aggiesrul8 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Wait, I thought that was how DLC was chosen in the HMX offices? Drunken Dart tosses at the mystical DLC dartboard???
  • silentknellsilentknell Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    noble;2758446 said:

Nothing about popular ;)
    In the official Rock Band Network thread, starting on page 74, I wrote the following.
    silentknell;2736207 said:
    1. Has it been answered in this thread yet about the requirements that need to be met for these songs to be transferred over to the non-XBOX360 consoles? As in, what will constitute "Stand Out Tracks"?

a) If it is based on the number of individual purchase, exactly how many purchases will there need to be?

b) If it is based on the amount of dollars that a song makes, then what is the exact amount of dollars that a song needs to pass in order to be transferred?

c) Or is it based on some other factor/s? If so, what are they?

2. Will there be any other way besides being hand picked by HMX for the bands to get particular tracks over to non-XBOX360 console when they fail to meet the above guideline?

Again, it would be really disappointing for other console owners to not get their favorite indie band's songs just because XBOX360 owners failed to buy them to the given standard. And before I go around telling different bands about Rock Band Network, I'd like to inform them about this situation as much as possible too, and for that I need some clear guidelines. I personally don't want to give them the wrong idea that they are going to be catering to everyone who owns Rock Band 2, but just a portion of them unless they are able to meet such-and-such guidelines.
    Later added that:
    silentknell;2746834 said:
    Since the time I wrote that, I also realized that HMX's "Stand Out Tracks" could also be determined by popularity. As in, bands competing for the top sales, and HMX choosing from the ones that made the most sales. But if this is the case, then would it be based on the top sales of each individual week or overall cumulative sales? I just really prefer to give all of that bands I like as much of a head's up as possible, giving them a realistic expectations on whether they can get the exposure they'd like from the whole Rock Band base, or just half of them. Any information that you guys can relay on this matter is appreciated.
    The official answer given by HMX on page 85 was:
    HMXEnosity;2747012 said:
    1) Yes and No. There will be many factors such as RBN popularity, Band popularity, HMX picks, fan favorites, etc..

2) Possibly in the future. Depends if we can get RBN working on the other consoles. That's our goal (to have RBN running on all consoles).
    I think, for now, HMX feels it's necessary to be as vague as possible, despite how unsigned bands may feel about it. Which, when you consider the extra work HMX employees would have to do, is probably understandable. In this tough economy, they probably don't want to back themselves into a corner with their own words. But either way, popularity seems to be one of their factors.