SDHC support for Wii in TBRB?

aricron094aricron094 Opening Act
edited July 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
One of the biggest problems I have with the Wii version of Rock Band 2 is the storage problems. Wii Menu 4.0 came out earlier this year, and I know that RB2 can't be patched or updated in any way to allow for SDHC support, but is it possible that the Wii version of The Beatles: Rock Band might carry support for SDHC cards?

Comments

• DerTommissarDerTommissar Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    goheat;2769747 said:
    Really, I can't think of a good reason why this wouldn't/shouldn't have SDHC support...
    Because development was started before Nintendo mentioned SDHC support, and having to recode it would delay the Wii release enough to not met the 9/9/09 date.

I can't imagine why it would take that long to rewrite that part, but I'm not a console game developer.
  • Moony_LupinMoony_Lupin Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Well, I'm going to keep an eye on them and pick one up when they go on sale. I have a good feeling they'll make SDHC compatible with TBRB. Like I said before, with all of the dlc (and custom dreamscapes) coming for this game, they have to help us Wii owners out.
  • seinmanseinman Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Maybe they'll patch it in... oh wait, Nintendo doesn't give a **** about patches. My bad.

I got tired of all the crap Nintendo pulls. Lack of universal mass storage support, not allowing game patches, stupid rules for the digital store... I sold my Wii. I won't support a company that cares so little about what its hardcore customers want.
  • chrth_rbchrth_rb Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    seinman;2772694 said:
    I won't support a company that cares so little about what its hardcore customers want.

Newsflash: Nintendo doesn't give a crap about hardcore customers. And since they're so much more profitable than X360 and PS3, maybe they have the right idea.
  • Lily_MuLily_Mu RB Wii Super Fan
    edited July 2009
    I hope we get it. I'm gonna buy a 32gb if it is.

If it's not, then forget it. I won't even buy TB:RB DLC. I don't know enough Beatles to buy their DLC anyway.
  • seinmanseinman Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    chrth_rb;2772712 said:
    Newsflash: Nintendo doesn't give a crap about hardcore customers. And since they're so much more profitable than X360 and PS3, maybe they have the right idea.
    Newsflash: Nintendo HAS to care about hardcore customers. They sell the consoles at a loss and make up the money selling games. The average casual Wii owner has very, very few games. I've yet to meet someone besides myself who owned more than Wii Sports, Mario Galaxy, and maybe one of the plethora of party-mini-game type games. Hell, I know more than just a handful of people who ONLY own Wii Sports. If they don't keep the people who buy 10+ games happy, they can't keep their profits up for the long term.
    edited July 2009
    seinman;2772784 said:
    Newsflash: Nintendo HAS to care about hardcore customers. They sell the consoles at a loss and make up the money selling games.
    Nintendo has NEVER sold their console at a loss. They're not Microsoft or Sony. Go check the financials.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited July 2009
    There's no reason not do (it's a minor development issue really), but I don't think it will be needed. I doubt there will be that much DLC specificly for TB:RB.

And Nintendo was making money on the Wii day 1. It's why they're healthier than any other system maker. They had to, as they had no other revenue stream (outside of gaming).
    edited July 2009
    Bront20;2773200 said:
    There's no reason not do (it's a minor development issue really), but I don't think it will be needed. I doubt there will be that much DLC specificly for TB:RB.
    They've been quoted as saying 300+ tracks possible. 45 are on the Disc, and the 2GB SD card only holds what, 80-90 songs? That's before the fact that the DLC might have programmed dreamscapes included. No SDHC would suck.
  • vcalzonevcalzone Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Get a 4GB SD card. It works, you just have to eject/reinject between when the game boots and when it checks for the SD card.
    edited July 2009
    vcalzone;2773238 said:
    Get a 4GB SD card. It works, you just have to eject/reinject between when the game boots and when it checks for the SD card.
    Still won't hold all the potential DLC songs, and you're adding the fact that there's roughly a 1 in 100 chance of wiping out the SD card every time you do this. No thank you.
    edited July 2009
    vcalzone;2773238 said:
    chrth_rb;2773254 said:
    Still won't hold all the potential DLC songs, and you're adding the fact that there's roughly a 1 in 100 chance of wiping out the SD card every time you do this. No thank you.
    You're also forgetting the fact that if you have no Credit Card like me, YOU JUST CAN'T BUY IT.

So in my case, I can only buy retail. SDHC plz.
    edited July 2009
    I would say to use an SD reader and a backup as far as failure goes.

As for no credit card, there's easy ways around that. I haven't been in that particular situation for a few years now, but check this website:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Shop-Online-Without-a-Credit-Card

Essentially, you can either use a Coinstar to get an Amazon gift certificate or buy a prepaid Visa giftcard in a store. Totally worth the hassle, since you can get these things miles cheaper online.

Point is, you can DO it. For me, it's worth the hassle of potentially having to recopy my DLC onto the new/same card than to buy a new XBOX AND new instruments. Ignoring the cost of replacing a ton of downloaded songs. I hate Nintendo, but until it's worth it to me to do that, I'm stuck.
    edited July 2009
    I'm sure the "Easy way" requires at least 18 years of age, which I do not have.
    edited July 2009
    vcalzone;2773819 said:
    I would say to use an SD reader and a backup as far as failure goes.
    So ... it makes more sense to you that Wii users should buy 4 (at least 2 required for all the DLC, plus 2 backups) 4GB SD cards rather than include SDHC support?
    edited July 2009
    chrth_rb;2773926 said:
    So ... it makes more sense to you that Wii users should buy 4 (at least 2 required for all the DLC, plus 2 backups) 4GB SD cards rather than include SDHC support?
    Not at all. I really would like to have SDHC support. It would be really, really great. But the longer we go without any confirmation, the more I suspect we might not get it. I don't blame Harmonix for this.

But if not, you don't have to get 2GB cards. And when I say backup, I mean make a backup folder on your hard drive with an SD reader, not buy a second one.
  • goheatgoheat Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    vcalzone;2774030 said:
    Not at all. I really would like to have SDHC support. It would be really, really great. But the longer we go without any confirmation, the more I suspect we might not get it. I don't blame Harmonix for this.
    Sorry, with the ~5 1/2 months Harmonix will have had between the SDHC release and the release date of this game, the only good reason to not blame Harmonix is if Nintendo refused to ever give them the info necessary to incorporate SDHC support, and that's kind of hard to believe...
    edited July 2009
    Well, I'm operating from the assumption that they care about what they do and would try to get it in there if at all possible. If you don't trust them, then you might be more inclined to blame them.

Honestly, I'm surprised we haven't heard ANYTHING one way or the other. It isn't like this is a big secret special thing, just a simple question about platform support. If anyone from HMX is reading this, what gives? Are you still at a point where it's too soon to say whether support will be there?
  • DaytrippedDaytripped Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Wow, guys. Wii sucks. Why? Look at this freakin' thread. Everybody's trying to find a solution to a problem Nintendo made without thinking.
    edited July 2009
    Wii has the most amazing and revolutionary user interface imagined. It forced all the gaming systems to rethink the way they do things.

It also needs to implement hard drive support like nobody's business.
    edited July 2009
    In all seriousness, though, this is an important piece of information to let out. If it is implemented, I'm good. If it isn't implemented, I have to buy another 4GB SD card and would like to know so I can have time to find a good deal.
  • jwebb1970jwebb1970 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    vcalzone;2787922 said:

It can support ext HDD. But to make to happen requires talk of things not allowed on the Wii threads here.
    edited July 2009
    Daytripped;2787209 said:
    Wow, guys. Wii sucks. Why? Look at this freakin' thread. Everybody's trying to find a solution to a problem Nintendo made without thinking.
    Nintendo solved the problem with SDHC support. It's now up to HMX et al. to use that solution. Hopefully they did so with TB:RB.
    vcalzone;2787922 said:

Nintendo stated in the news release announcing SDHC support that SDHC was its solution for the storage issue. Barring a change of heart on Nintendo's part, there will never be official hard drive support for the Wii.
  • JoeylinkmasterJoeylinkmaster Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    vcalzone;2773238 said:
    yeah but it has to be a non HC card, which I can't get (can't order one online and can't find it in any store)
    edited July 2009
    chrth_rb;2788653 said:
    Nintendo solved the problem with SDHC support. It's now up to HMX et al. to use that solution. Hopefully they did so with TB:RB.

Nintendo stated in the news release announcing SDHC support that SDHC was its solution for the storage issue. Barring a change of heart on Nintendo's part, there will never be official hard drive support for the Wii.
    I suppose so. I mean, there's no blu-ray disc capability, so I guess a 32GB SDHC card can hold as many Wii games as a 60GB PS3 could for its games. It IS irritating that there is no mechanism by which a game can update itself, though. I'd think that would be especially irritating for HMX because of where the RB revenue stream flows from. But who knows?
  • UnpluggedCrazyUnpluggedCrazy Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    I don't have much stored on my Wii, and would be willing to delete certain things in order to allow more room for TB:RB DLC, so I'm hoping I wouldn't have to pick up an SDHC card.
    edited July 2009
    UnpluggedCrazy;2791512 said:
    I don't have much stored on my Wii, and would be willing to delete certain things in order to allow more room for TB:RB DLC, so I'm hoping I wouldn't have to pick up an SDHC card.
    The Wii itself has very little internal memory relative to what you can put on even a 2GB SD card.

If there isn't SDHC support, at least the SD cards have gotten really cheap. Like $5-7 a pop cheap. It'd still suck that you can't have every song on the same card, but at least you won't go bankrupt dealing with it.