Bleach before (rest of) Nevermind?

Ramirez16Ramirez16 Road Warrior
edited September 2009 in The Rock Band Network

Nirvana’s “Bleach” on “Rock Band”? Sub Pop Looks to Code Catalogs Into Playable Tracks

7/22/09, 1:04 pm EST

Music video games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero have become the new stars of American culture. But fans of cult or indie music like, say, the Melvins, can’t exactly inhabit their inner Buzz because rhythm game music catalogs offer a tiny fraction of recorded music. This week however, the newly announced Rock Band Network introduced the option for anyone with a tune to try to get their songs added to the Rock Band shop. Legendary Seattle indie label Sub Pop has already said they’re interested and many labels are sure to follow.

Sub Pop A&R executive Tony Kiewel is an avid Rock Band aficionado and said the storied label is investing in equipment this week to turn songs into playable tracks. Sub Pop albums like Nirvana’s Bleach or the new record from the Shins could be part of Rock Band by Fall should the game accept the tracks for sale. “This conceivably could be the opening of the floodgates,” Kiewel said. “We always had the feeling that the people at Harmonix, they’re all in bands, they’re music people and I think it actually broke their hearts that we couldn’t work it out to get our stuff into the queue faster.”

Kiewer said Sub Pop is looking at converting its entire catalog, which includes early Nirvana, the Postal Service and the Shins, into Rock Band-ready tracks for sale in the new Rock Band Network store. “You’d be crazy not to make your stuff available and sell it if you can,” he says. “My fears are we haven’t actually used the software yet and audio multi-tracking software in general is pretty complex.”

With 8 million units and more than 50 million downloads sold, Rock Band appears poised to become a full-on music platform, and the new Beatles game — due September 9th — is sure to bring in an entirely new demographic. The game is creating new production costs heretofore unknown for Sub Pop, says Kiewel.

“It’s all up in the air,” he says.”This’ll be a ‘release’ as far as I’m concerned. This’ll be another format alongside vinyl and CD.”

David Downs
Yeah it was said before that Sub Pop was already saying that they were going to put their music in the game with RBN but what about the fact that that would (almost 100%) mean Bleach in less than 5 months from now and maybe before the rest of Nevermind? I think that's interesting. Maybe it would add more interest in Bleach?

Comments

• TransbrakTransbrak Headliner
    edited July 2009
    More importantly, Sub Pop has The Reverend Horton Heat and Flight of the Concords.

Actually I would love Bleach, or any Nirvana other than Smells Like Teen Spirit.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    Fuelie79;2758750 said:
    That's pretty cool that labels are already interested, but I'm hoping if a bigger band submits stuff that Harmonix will take over and put it in the Music Store. Bleach definitely belongs in the album section of the Music Store reather than in RBN.
    I disagree.

If a band/label chooses to DIY it and get it out faster on RBN, then go for it. There's no real difference between the RBN Store and the RB Store other than the fact that the former is user-generated submissions while HMX handles the latter. There might be the usual round of chartgeeks b*itching if Sub-Pop "mischarts" songs, but hell, they'd b*itch about the charts even if HMX handled them professionally.

Bring on some Bleach! :)
  • pong0814pong0814 Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    It may be hype at this stage, or a small label getting ahead of themselves, but IF Sub Pop manages to get Bleach on RBN, that will be a day one purchase for me. (And my head would literally explode if Sub Pop also manages to get Mudhoney, early Soundgarden, the Supersuckers, and Flight of the Conchords on RBN)
  • woodwindpizzawoodwindpizza Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    This news is amazing!
    :D
  • oogaboohaoogabooha Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Yay, Bleach>Nevermind
  • jasonrosenbaumjasonrosenbaum Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    FOTC and the Shins FTW!
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    Bleach has some tracks that would be absolutely spectacular to play with the entire band.
  • cmg4894cmg4894 Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    As probably the biggest Nirvana fan on these boards I would be all for this. 'Bleach' isn't better or worse than any Nirvana album..It's just different.

PS: It would be great to get the Sub Pop 7" single version of 'In Bloom'.
  • CloudWolfCloudWolf Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Bleach means Love Buzz and that means I fully support this :D
  • iagomonkiagomonk Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Flight of the Mutha'uckin' Conchords? Hell yes
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    Hopefully yes. Bleach is my favorite Nirvana album, though not by much.
  • sandswipesandswipe Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I've got a cupboard with cans of food, filtered water,
    And pictures of you and I'm not coming out
    Until this is all over
    And I'm looking through the glass where the light bends
    At the cracks
    And I'm screaming at the top of my lungs pretending
    The echoes belong to someone
    Someone I used to know

And we become silhouettes when our bodies finally go

I want to walk through the empty streets
    With something constant under my feet,
    But all the news reports recommend that
    I stay indoors
    Because the air outside will make our cells
    Divide at an alarming rate until our shells
    Simply cannot hold all our insides in,
    And (that's when), (That's when) That's when we'll explode
    (and it won't be a pretty sight)

And we'll become silhouettes when our bodies finally go

POSTAL SERVICE FULL ALBUM. YEAH SUB POP!
  • BStu78BStu78 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    cherokeesam;2758849 said:
    ^This exactly.

This isn't a fanboy rumor or blogger speculation; this is SUB POP themselves saying "We're going to put Bleach and The Shins and OUR ENTIRE DISCOGRAPHY in RBN."

Maybe *Sub Pop* are getting ahead of themselves, but we'll see. I'm sure there's now a 99% chance of Bleach and other pre-Nevermind Nirvana (and the core of the Seattle Revolution....!:eek: ) heading for RBN.
    This is completely untrue. I don't whether Sub Pop is thinking about releasing Bleach or not. Because Sub Pop THEMSELVES never mentioned the album. Or The Shins, which I'd love to see released. Read the article. Sub Pop mentions NO ARTIST. This is speculation based on speculation. You actually ARE turning it into a fanboy rumor by elevating it this way as something substantial when you're really just taking Rolling Stone's speculation as proof.

Sub Pop being on board with RBN is huge. I'm very psyched to see what they do. Heck, I hope they find a way around the "no covers" rule to give us The Shin's version "We Become Silhouettes". Their participation certainly sparks the imagination, but lets not willfully forget that its still just imagination. Sub Pop has hinted at nothing. They have confirmed nothing. They have speculated about nothing specific.

As an additional caution, while Sub Pop controls some rights to Bleach, they may not control ALL rights to it. They likely have rights to the recordings, but the publishing rights are often separately controlled. Whoever has the publishing rights to Bleach needs to also be on board.
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    great news, i see a bright future for HMX and the rockband platform
  • ThuDogFoodThuDogFood Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    BStu78;2759270 said:
    Read the article. Sub Pop mentions NO ARTIST.
    True, but the article does mention this
    Kiewer said Sub Pop is looking at converting its entire catalog, which includes early Nirvana, the Postal Service and the Shins, into Rock Band-ready tracks for sale in the new Rock Band Network store
    Who knows if they will follow through on this, but if they do, this has the potential to be very awesome in itself
  • crivitcrivit Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    cherokeesam;2758870 said:
    I disagree.

If a band/label chooses to DIY it and get it out faster on RBN, then go for it. There's no real difference between the RBN Store and the RB Store other than the fact that the former is user-generated submissions while HMX handles the latter. There might be the usual round of chartgeeks b*itching if Sub-Pop "mischarts" songs, but hell, they'd b*itch about the charts even if HMX handled them professionally.

Bring on some Bleach! :)
    Actually there's a huge difference. Access to songs in the RBN is limited based on console, and where you live. I would assume if Bleach did appear on RBN HMX would end up porting it to the music store eventually, but untill they could only Xbox 360 owners in North America and Europe could buy it.
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited July 2009
    crivit;2759368 said:
    Actually there's a huge difference. Access to songs in the RBN is limited based on console, and where you live. I would assume if Bleach did appear on RBN HMX would end up porting it to the music store eventually, but untill they could only Xbox 360 owners in North America and Europe could buy it.
    Agreed...imagine the contraversy if we started getting some really big artists through RBN that many could not get access too or god forbid didnt make the screening process to be selected for PS3 or Wii. Nah, i love the idea of indie band exposure for everyone and leaving the bigger hitters for HMX charting and distribution, its the fairest was for the gamers
  • jr174200jr174200 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Damien Jurado, Iron & Wine, No Age, Fleet Foxes, Ugly Casanova etc? Sign me up.

Band Of Horse's "Cease to Begin"?!?! Holy lord that would be amazing. One of my favorite albums of the last two years.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    ThuDogFood;2759342 said:
    True, but the article does mention this...
    I wonder if they mention those bands because they're bands we've heard of and thus would be able to identify why this label is significant.
  • jr174200jr174200 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    For those interested, you can see the Sub Pop discography here:

http://www.subpop.com/catalog/discography
    edited July 2009
    crivit;2759368 said:
    So that leaves....what, Wii and PS3 owners in Asia, Australia, Central America and Subsaharan Africa in the lurch....??? Somehow I don't think that constitutes a very large number of RB players. :cool:

Hell, by the time RBN rolls out, Sony will be fully on board this project and will have the tools necessary to make the software work. And then PS3 owners can take time to gloat over the 500 gig library they have to download all these new RBN songs, as opposed to MS' meager 120. *Then* who'll be crying? That's right, me and all the other 360 owners.

As for Wii....sorry, I really am. But until Tendo is willing to make a next-gen console that has the same kind of hardware as the PS3 and 360, they're pretty much permanently relegated to black sheep status.
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited July 2009
    cherokeesam;2759432 said:
    So that leaves....what, Wii and PS3 owners in Asia, Australia, Central America and Subsaharan Africa in the lurch....??? Somehow I don't think that constitutes a very large number of RB players. :cool:

Hell, by the time RBN rolls out, Sony will be fully on board this project and will have the tools necessary to make the software work. And then PS3 owners can take time to gloat over the 500 gig library they have to download all these new RBN songs, as opposed to MS' meager 120. *Then* who'll be crying? That's right, me and all the other 360 owners.

As for Wii....sorry, I really am. But until Tendo is willing to make a next-gen console that has the same kind of hardware as the PS3 and 360, they're pretty much permanently relegated to black sheep status.
    Post translation = it doesnt effect me so i dont care haha
    edited July 2009
    BStu78;2759270 said:
    This is completely untrue. I don't whether Sub Pop is thinking about releasing Bleach or not. Because Sub Pop THEMSELVES never mentioned the album. Or The Shins, which I'd love to see released. Read the article. Sub Pop mentions NO ARTIST.
    Au contraire:
    Kiewer said Sub Pop is looking at converting its entire catalog, which includes early Nirvana, the Postal Service and the Shins, into Rock Band-ready tracks for sale in the new Rock Band Network store. “You’d be crazy not to make your stuff available and sell it if you can,” he says. “My fears are we haven’t actually used the software yet and audio multi-tracking software in general is pretty complex.”
    The game is creating new production costs heretofore unknown for Sub Pop, says Kiewel.

“It’s all up in the air,” he says.”This’ll be a ‘release’ as far as I’m concerned. This’ll be another format alongside vinyl and CD.”
    Kiewer says *specifically* that he wants to convert the ENTIRE catalog, including Nirvana and The Shins and The Postal Service into the game. Doesn't get much clearer than that.
    As an additional caution, while Sub Pop controls some rights to Bleach, they may not control ALL rights to it. They likely have rights to the recordings, but the publishing rights are often separately controlled. Whoever has the publishing rights to Bleach needs to also be on board.
    Well, that's a duh no-brainer....of course SubPop can't license songs they don't have the rights to. NOBODY can. Kiever wouldn't have even mentioned it if he didn't control the rights.
    edited July 2009
    Skode;2759448 said:
    Post translation = it doesnt effect me so i dont care haha
    Short version, yep. :)

But I'm srs about the PS3....Sony will be working their little asses off to get RBN to work on their system. Remember, Sony is one of the Big Four record labels; of course they want to be part of this. RBN will be compatible with PSN within a matter of months, if not weeks.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited July 2009
    cherokeesam;2759458 said:
    Kiewer says *specifically* that he wants to convert the ENTIRE catalog, including Nirvana and The Shins and The Postal Service into the game. Doesn't get much clearer than that.
    Read it again. Kiewer said that he wants to convert Sub Pop's entire catalog. Period. The Rolling Stone journalist filled in the 2nd half of that sentence, the "including Nirvana etc." part.

Had Kiewer actually said that, it would be a direct quote. But he didn't, so it wasn't.
  • Alvarado6411Alvarado6411 Dethbringer
    edited July 2009
    So I heard Dave Grohl owns some of the Nirvana tracks from Nevermind and Courtney owns some, who owns the ones from Bleach?
    edited July 2009
    davidshek;2759477 said:
    Read it again. Kiewer said that he wants to convert Sub Pop's entire catalog. Period. The Rolling Stone journalist filled in the 2nd half of that sentence, the "including Nirvana etc." part.

Had Kiewer actually said that, it would be a direct quote. But he didn't, so it wasn't.
    Um...."Sub Pop's entire catalog" does include Nirvana. And The Shins. And Postal Service. And The Conchords. And Soundgarden. MudhoneyGreenRiverTad etc etc etc. To wit: when Kiewer says "Sub Pop's ENTIRE CATALOG, that infers the, uh, ENTIRE CATALOG, including all those bands, famous and in-, that he didn't *have* to mention by name.

Shouldn't that be pretty clear to all English-speaking peoples of the world...? :cool: Why are we having an argument about reading comprehension here?
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited July 2009
    cherokeesam;2759525 said:
    Um...."Sub Pop's entire catalog" does include Nirvana.

Shouldn't that be pretty clear to all English-speaking peoples of the world...? :cool: Why are we having an argument about reading comprehension here?
    Because you're inferring things that may be incorrect, just like the author of that article did. Sub Pop's entire catalog did include Bleach at one point in time. It may not now. It's a very common practice for masters and publishing rights to exchange hands between labels, especially when a band moves from a smaller/indie label like Sub Pop to a larger/major label like DGC/Geffen (part of UMG)...like Nirvana did in between the releases of Bleach and Nevermind.
  • Ramirez16Ramirez16 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Can't wait to get songs from Cat Butt, Fruit Bats, and Pedro the Lion!
    edited July 2009
    davidshek;2759536 said:
    Because you're inferring things that may be incorrect, just like the author of that article did. Sub Pop's entire catalog did include Bleach at one point in time. It may not now. It's a very common practice for masters and publishing rights to exchange hands between labels, especially when a band moves from a smaller/indie label like Sub Pop to a larger/major label like DGC/Geffen (part of UMG).
    Phish-phan helpfully provided a link to SubPop's entire discography

here

Down there on SP034, you've got
    http://www.subpop.com/releases/nirvana/full_lengths/bleach

I strongly doubt SubPop could sell the album on their website if they didn't still have the rights to it.