Questions About RBN

JPSChampagneJPSChampagne Rising Star
edited September 2009 in The Rock Band Network
(Sorry if there's a thread in which these questions would be more appropriately asked - please lock and remove if this is not the place to post this.)

I haven't come across these particular questions yet about this great new innovation for Rock Band. I'm posting this in hopes that someone from HMX will answer, or that someone from the community will know.

Will the songs be playable in practice mode? If so, will they be required to be broken up into sections, and will you be able to decrease their speed like current releases?

Is there going to be any type of quality control with the character animations? I can see that getting lost in the shuffle of charting critique. Also - will the songs be required to be functional with the stage kit? Will there be any kind of quality control with that?

Will the songs be measured on the leaderboards? Will each of the thousands and thousands of songs likely to be released on RBN each have their own scoring page like current, Harmonix releases do?

Will album art (and information) and song previews be included with these songs? Will they be displayed in the song menu with the normal DLC icon, or will they have a different one?

Basically - are these songs going to be required to have the exact same functionality and quality as current DLC releases? I can see it being a black eye to the entire operation if, while the songs are charted correctly and play correctly, the character animations, lighting effects, and in-game functionality are ruined.

Comments

• MeatmuppetMeatmuppet Opening Act
    edited July 2009
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited July 2009
    They've said that the songs are supposed to be equivalent in every way to the ones released by HMX. As for whether there will be leaderboards for every new song, that's a good question...
  • edited July 2009
    They have specifically said that artists can include their own album art and song details. (such as year, genre, etc)
  • dlowelldlowell MAJOR Noob
    edited July 2009
    Very good questions, I would especially like to know if the stage kit is going to work. woohoo lights, fog & seizures!
  • DavidRSDavidRS Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    JPSChampagne;2762304 said:
    (Sorry if there's a thread in which these questions would be more appropriately asked - please lock and remove if this is not the place to post this.)
    There is a discussion thread in the Community's Greatest Hits section.
    I haven't come across these particular questions yet about this great new innovation for Rock Band. I'm posting this in hopes that someone from HMX will answer, or that someone from the community will know.

Will the songs be playable in practice mode? If so, will they be required to be broken up into sections, and will you be able to decrease their speed like current releases?
    I have no idea on it, but I would think they have to be charted to a similar, if not the same, standard as HMX charts.
    Is there going to be any type of quality control with the character animations? I can see that getting lost in the shuffle of charting critique. Also - will the songs be required to be functional with the stage kit? Will there be any kind of quality control with that?
    Again, no idea on this, but the theory above still holds.
    Will the songs be measured on the leaderboards? Will each of the thousands and thousands of songs likely to be released on RBN each have their own scoring page like current, Harmonix releases do?
    That is a question I cannot answer, but I would think it would be possible. It would just need a really beefy database server to provide it.
    Will album art (and information) and song previews be included with these songs? Will they be displayed in the song menu with the normal DLC icon, or will they have a different one?
    Album art will appear on the store, so I expect it will in the game. Song previews would be similar. As for the icon, I'm hoping for a different one, but not expecting it.
    Basically - are these songs going to be required to have the exact same functionality and quality as current DLC releases? I can see it being a black eye to the entire operation if, while the songs are charted correctly and play correctly, the character animations, lighting effects, and in-game functionality are ruined.
    As I said above, I am under the impression that all songs released on RBN must be authored to the HMX standards, and it is up to the XNA community to ensure those standards are upheld.

Disclaimer: I do not work for HMX, and living in Australia, will have no access to RBN when it goes live. These are all guesses, and if an HMXer comes in and tells you that I'm full of bull****, then that's the case.

Hope that answers your questions.
  • JPSChampagneJPSChampagne Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for all the replies, everybody. Good community here. Just hoping that my stage kit isn't gonna go to waste. haha. Hopefully there will be some kind of word about the leaderboards, as that's a huge undertaking.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited July 2009
    To this point specifically: Yes, there will be album art, it's part of what Magma packages up into the DLC file that you submit to XNA.

As for previews, you get MORE than current DLC. There will be not only the normal 30-second preview (and yes, the author of the track gets to pick which 30 seconds of the song are the preview), but there will also be a FREE 1-minute (or 35%, whichever comes first) downloadable demo of every song in the RBN Store. This one is the first minute (or 35%) of the song, not changeable.
    edited July 2009
    Wow, I hadn't heard the 35% thing. That's really cool. It's really looking like HMX is dead serious about quality content being delivered through this. Very reassuring.
  • edited July 2009
    JPSChampagne;2762352 said:
    Just hoping that my stage kit isn't gonna go to waste. haha. Hopefully there will be some kind of word about the leaderboards, as that's a huge undertaking.
    As I understand it, the stage kit goes off of the lighting cues scripted in each song.

So in theory it should work, because the RBN kit will allow you to customize lighting, animations, etc.

Note: This is purely conjecture on my part based on observation.
  • edited July 2009

1 - Will the songs be playable in practice mode? If so, will they be required to be broken up into sections, and will you be able to decrease their speed like current releases?
    2 - Is there going to be any type of quality control with the character animations? I can see that getting lost in the shuffle of charting critique. Also - will the songs be required to be functional with the stage kit? Will there be any kind of quality control with that?
    3 - Will album art (and information) and song previews be included with these songs?
    4 - Will they be displayed in the song menu with the normal DLC icon, or will they have a different one?
    I can answer a few of these questions:

1 - yes

2 - don't worry about this. peer review will catch any animation issues. actually the animation part of charting is really really simple and easy to use.

3 - yes

4 - RBN dlc has a different icon / category. RBN dlc and regular dlc are separate entities.

also for the curious, authoring cameras / lighting is completely optional. If you don't author the camera and lighting it will be auto-generated for you. I personally love doing the camera and lighting chart. gives the songs that personal touch.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited July 2009
    HMXEnosity;2762501 said:
    also for the curious, authoring cameras / lighting is completely optional. If you don't author the camera and lighting it will be auto-generated for you. I personally love doing the camera and lighting chart. gives the songs that personal touch.
    I had one question about that - is the animation going to remain good if it's auto-generated? Meaning, are there going to be any situations where the singer jumps into the crowd and appears on stage instantly after, like in Here It Goes Again (I think? It may have been a different RB1 song)?
  • thirdmortalthirdmortal Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    Apples;2762449 said:
    As I understand it, the stage kit goes off of the lighting cues scripted in each song.

So in theory it should work, because the RBN kit will allow you to customize lighting, animations, etc.

Note: This is purely conjecture on my part based on observation.
    I thought I read somewhere that the stage kit gets its info from the rumble data. So I would assume you would need to chart information into an additional track for the stage kit to work.
  • edited July 2009
    HeyRiles;2762510 said:
    I had one question about that - is the animation going to remain good if it's auto-generated? Meaning, are there going to be any situations where the singer jumps into the crowd and appears on stage instantly after, like in Here It Goes Again (I think? It may have been a different RB1 song)?
    The animation will be in sync if you don't bother with it but cool stuff like stage dives need to be authored in.
    thirdmortal;2762564 said:
    I thought I read somewhere that the stage kit gets its info from the rumble data. So I would assume you would need to chart information into an additional track for the stage kit to work.
    Nope. The stage kits mainly looks at the authored lighting information from the song.
    edited July 2009
    HMXEnosity;2762501 said:
    I can answer a few of these questions:

1 - yes

2 - don't worry about this. peer review will catch any animation issues. actually the animation part of charting is really really simple and easy to use.

3 - yes

4 - RBN dlc has a different icon / category. RBN dlc and regular dlc are separate entities.

Hey, thanks so much for the reply. Just curious... Are the animations all preset or can we make our own? The guitarists often mimic the actual notes being played - how will that work? It looks like it would be pretty difficult.

Also, very cool that RBN DLC will have its own icon, but... Say that Sub Pop puts up all the Shins stuff from the same album "New Slang" came from. Will that show up as a full album, or "New Slang" on its own and the rest of the album separately?

And I'm sure this has been answered somewhere and I just haven't seen it, but will the RBN store be included in Rock Band 1 somehow? Or will you have to own Rock Band 2 to access it?

I assume as a default that all of the RBN songs will work with Rock Band 1.

Thanks again everybody, for all the answers. I may just join up with the creator community to make sure someone's there just to review lighting tracks. I hope some people really go all-out with that and do some cool stuff.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited July 2009
    JPSChampagne;2762630 said:
    And I'm sure this has been answered somewhere and I just haven't seen it, but will the RBN store be included in Rock Band 1 somehow? Or will you have to own Rock Band 2 to access it?

I assume as a default that all of the RBN songs will work with Rock Band 1.
    It's RB2 only. RBN songs won't play in RB1 and there won't be a store for it. It was mentioned by a dev the other day. :)
    edited July 2009
    Oh, well, that's kind of a bummer, but I guess you have to make the move up to the new software eventually anyway. I just have a couple friends who still prefer the first game over the second.
  • edited July 2009
    JPSChampagne;2762630 said:
    1 - Are the animations all preset or can we make our own? The guitarists often mimic the actual notes being played - how will that work? It looks like it would be pretty difficult.

2 - Also, very cool that RBN DLC will have its own icon, but... Say that Sub Pop puts up all the Shins stuff from the same album "New Slang" came from. Will that show up as a full album, or "New Slang" on its own and the rest of the album separately?

3 - And I'm sure this has been answered somewhere and I just haven't seen it, but will the RBN store be included in Rock Band 1 somehow? Or will you have to own Rock Band 2 to access it?

4 - I assume as a default that all of the RBN songs will work with Rock Band 1.
    1 - More information on Animations is coming soon.

2 - RBN songs will be sortable by album.

3 - No RBN store in RB1.

4 - RBN songs do not work in RB1.
    edited July 2009
    Sad about RB1. Any technical aspect that kept that from happening? Not that I really expect an answer on that, I'm just curious.

Also, really good line of thought on making RBN DLC its own thing. It's already awkward to scroll through a huge DLC list looking for the half-dozen that somebody else online has. It would be terrible to scroll through hundreds more when RBN goes online. After a bit of thought, that's a genius move on HMX's part.

And good to hear it'll still sort by album and all that. The whole thing seems more and more seamless. I'm more excited the more I learn.

I'm eager to hear details about animations, as well. I think the characters in Rock Band are an underutilized part of the game and being able to get my hands on that one day is a pretty tantalizing concept.
  • edited July 2009
    yeah, can't say why.
  • rocker820rocker820 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I have two major questions also:

1. Let's say that two different people can get the rights to one song and chart it. Does that mean we will can have two different charts for the exact same song.

2. Let's say you only know how to chart a guitar/ bass chart, will all songs have to include charts for all four instruments if applicable (instrumentals won't have vocals) or can you release a song that can only be played on guitar or something
  • edited July 2009
    rocker820;2763777 said:
    1. Let's say that two different people can get the rights to one song and chart it. Does that mean we will can have two different charts for the exact same song.
    2. Let's say you only know how to chart a guitar/ bass chart, will all songs have to include charts for all four instruments if applicable (instrumentals won't have vocals) or can you release a song that can only be played on guitar or something
    1 - No.

2 - If your song has Vocals, you author vocals.
  • HeadcaseHeadcase Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    HMXEnosity;2762706 said:
    4 - RBN songs do work work in RB1.
    I make mistakes like this often so I must ask:

Do work or do not work? :)
  • edited July 2009
    Headcase;2763888 said:
    I make mistakes like this often so I must ask:

Do work or do not work? :)

DO NOT WORK. thanks for the catch :)
    edited my previous post.
  • sandswipesandswipe Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    PUBLIC DOMAIN SONGS: Think House of the Rising Sun or Gallows Pole. Are these going to be allowed, or ONLY original compositions? I've already seen one band talking about putting House of the Rising Sun in there.
  • voodoo618voodoo618 Headliner
    edited September 2009
    sandswipe;2764387 said:
    PUBLIC DOMAIN SONGS: Think House of the Rising Sun or Gallows Pole. Are these going to be allowed, or ONLY original compositions? I've already seen one band talking about putting House of the Rising Sun in there.
    HMX has said no to public domain songs, I believe.

EDIT: What the hell just happened?

How did I open this thread from the 1st page of the RBN forum?

Ugh, sorry for the necro-post.
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I'm not complaining. I learned a few things, so I'm happy.

Actually, I have a question: we know where/how to place the MIDI notes for the different difficulties, but what about lights, cameras, and animations? Are those all separate tracks, or will the char animations be made within the lower, unused slots for each instrument's MIDI chart?
  • voodoo618voodoo618 Headliner
    edited September 2009
    DavyinaToga;3058536 said:
    I'm not complaining. I learned a few things, so I'm happy.

Actually, I have a question: we know where/how to place the MIDI notes for the different difficulties, but what about lights, cameras, and animations? Are those all separate tracks, or will the char animations be made within the lower, unused slots for each instrument's MIDI chart?
    Reaper will take care of camera/lights. I'm not sure how animations will work.
    edited September 2009
    DavyinaToga;3058536 said:
    The documentation will answer all of these questions. All of the animation and stage cues (lights, camera...ACTION!) are controlled by MIDI.
    voodoo618;3058658 said:
    Reaper will take care of camera/lights. I'm not sure how animations will work.
    Correction, it CAN take care of those things if you don't do it yourself. But you have the option of doing it manually too.
  • socrstoprsocrstopr Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    davidshek;3058959 said:
    Correction, it CAN take care of those things if you don't do it yourself. But you have the option of doing it manually too.
    Correction MAGMA can do that, not Reaper :p
    edited September 2009
    socrstopr;3061784 said:
    Correction MAGMA can do that, not Reaper :p
    I don't recall the word "Reaper" appearing anywhere in my post, except in what I quoted, and that wasn't me talking ;)