RBN - Suggested Etiquette for Contacting Bands

Hey gang,

So by now I'm sure most of you have heard about Rock Band Network. For those of you that haven't I would suggested checking out this thread. Now I'll give you a moment to let that sink in.

Pretty amazing, right? RBN brings a whole new level of empowerment to bands and fans a like, and grants them a greater level of control over what you will see available as DLC in the coming months. The response to RBN has been overwhelmingly positive and we're thrilled to see so many of you on the forums taking an active roll in this initiative, even those of you that aren't in bands.

Many of you have already started contacting bands that you know and love, spreading the word of RBN to those groups that you hope to see in RB at some point. That is awesome. But there's been a bit of confusion between bands and fans and we wanted to provide a few suggestions to help make the process as smooth as possible for all involved.

If contacting band be sure to be honest and clear. Let them know that you are a fan of Rock Band and a fan of their music and let them know that you'd love to see them in Rock Band.

The best thing you can do is point them to any of the links below, as that will provide all of the information that bands should need to get involved with RBN.

RBN Press Release - http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152225
RBN Creators Club - http://creators.rockband.com/
RB Support Email - [email]feedback@harmonixmusic.com[/email]

Don't spam bands that you'd like to see in RBN. Nobody likes getting their inbox flooded, and I can't imagine that getting 100 emails from the same person will make any band want to rush over to check out RBN. Email them once, be polite, and encourage your friends to do the same.

I've included a short little template below that you can feel free to cut and paste if contacting bands about RBN.

“Hey [Band / Label Name Here], have you heard of the Rock Band Network yet? It’s an initiative that gives bands and labels the ability to bring their own music to the video game Rock Band. I’m a huge fan of Rock Band and I’d love to see some of your songs in the game. You can head over to http://creators.rockband.com/ for more info. I hope to see you in Rock Band soon!”

Ferocious Q posted a similar template which would also be a good starting point for contacting people who may not be familiar with RBN or even with RB.

Again, we think it's awesome that there's already been so much activity surrounding the announcement of RBN, but we've still got a lot to do before everything is up and running. We want to help make sure that everyone is on the same page as we move into the Beta stage, and we hope to provide bands and fans with clear and concise info whenever possible.

If you have any questions about RBN or contacting bands please do not hesitate to send a PM to one of the HMX people you see on the forums and we'll be happy to help you out in any way that we can.

Thanks so much for being a part of the Rock Band Network! Whether you know it or not, you're already involved.

-HMXHenry

Comments

• kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited July 2009
    Thanks. I'll send this on to a few bands, I'd mostly been sticking to bands I thought I could message on more of a friend level.
  • rocker820rocker820 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    all the bands that I want to email don't have email links on their websites, lol
  • Nickalos NNickalos N Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Cool thanks Henry now I know what to send to the bands I want to email
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited July 2009
    HMXHenry;2764554 said:
    Don't spam bands that you'd like to see in RBN. Nobody likes getting their inbox flooded, and I can't imagine that getting 100 emails from the same person will make any band want to rush over to check out RBN.
    I swear to god, if I get one more email from Starfleet_Rambo... :D
    rocker820;2764728 said:
    all the bands that I want to email don't have email links on their websites, lol
    So message them on Myspace. Even if the band themselves don't run their Myspace page, the person who does run it probably has a way to get in touch with them. :)
  • nk40699nk40699 Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    I don't want to be harsh or anything but i dont think that the template is very good. I think that it needs to be a little more personable and should include something that has to do with the band, because otherwise there is a chance that they will think that its spam. Bands probably get lots of spam.

Here's my template:

Hi, this is just a big fan of your band that would love to see your inclusion into the Rock Band Series. Recently Rock Band has created a new part to the game, called Rock Band Network, where any band with masters of their songs can create and sell their music for download in the Rock Band Music Store. What this means is that your band's song could make it onto Rock Band without having to go through all of the liscensing issues. This is a very new thing and I would love to see (Insert Band Here) make their debut in the series. I think that your songs, would be some of the more fun songs to play on the game, especially because of how (something positive about their band) they are. Also, for every download that you get in the store, you get a cut of the money that the buyer pays. Anyways, I would appreciate it if you could get back to me and send me your response. I don't need anything much just a "nope," a "maybe," or a "yes."Thanks for your time. Here are the links to the information below. I would love it if you could give them a glance.

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showt...54#post2730754
    http://creators.rockband.com/

i think that because its a longer message that says something positive about their band, they are less likely to think that its spam. I've gotten quite a few responses too. ;)
  • Ferocious QFerocious Q Headliner
    edited July 2009
    it's great finally getting some recognition :)
  • Rise 2 FallRise 2 Fall Opening Act
    edited July 2009
  • edited July 2009
    kingtonyx;2764605 said:
    Thanks. I'll send this on to a few bands, I'd mostly been sticking to bands I thought I could message on more of a friend level.
    And please continue contacting those bands that you're on a "friend level" with. My post wasn't so much a suggestion that everyone should go out and email every band they've ever heard of as much as it was an acknowledgment that there is already a very vigorous email writing campaign going on, and I just want to make sure that the flow of information is as clear and professional as possible.
    nk40699;2764896 said:
    I don't want to be harsh or anything but i dont think that the template is very good. I think that it needs to be a little more personable and should include something that has to do with the band, because otherwise there is a chance that they will think that its spam. Bands probably get lots of spam.
    The above template was by no means a hard and fast rule. I can't control what you guys write in emails, I can only give you a starting point. If you love a band tell them! If you saw them play recently and they were amazing tell them! You're right, you shouldn't stifle your love for a band just to adhere to some rigid form letter. I just want to make sure the template was provided so that people knew what the key points are.

But as far as over sharing goes...
    nk40699;2764896 said:
    What this means is that your band's song could make it onto Rock Band without having to go through all of the liscensing issues.
    nk40699;2764896 said:
    Also, for every download that you get in the store, you get a cut of the money that the buyer pays.
    ...I would avoid comments like those listed above. Bands will be able to find out for themselves what the licensing / ownership process entails and how much money they will be making. Mentioning details like these in an email may give them impression that you're more familiar with the issues at hand, and when a band replies with "What kind of licensing issues?" or "How much money will we make?" then things will really get tricky.

My advice is to keep things concise. Those specifics will be touched on in the Creators Club or further down the road in Beta and can be addressed by an HMX person if need be.

As long as people are 1) mentioning that they are writing as a fan 2) pointing to the RBN press release of the Creators Club info and 3) polite then that's what really matters.
  • sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    This is my email format:

"Greetings. First off, I would like to thank you for giving the master recordings of tracks such as (Song) and (Song) to Harmonix for their video game, Rock Band (If they haven't, then I remove this section). Recently, Harmonix has announced the Rock Band Network, an expansion of their growing music store. Read more about it here:

1. http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2730754#post2730754
    2. http://creators.rockband.com/

Perhaps it could serve as a new way to promote your music/music by the bands on your roster.

Thanks for reading this."

Perhaps it's too serious.
  • KnucklesdudeKnucklesdude Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I like Henry's template because it's short, straight to the point, and it has everything you really need.

And sonicnerd, I don't think it's too serious but maybe change/add to the last part emphasizing how you would like to see them in Rock Band.
    edited July 2009
    Knucklesdude;2765443 said:
    I like Henry's template because it's short, straight to the point, and it has everything you really need.

And sonicnerd, I don't think it's too serious but maybe change/add to the last part emphasizing how you would like to see them in Rock Band.
    You know, I feel it does sound too business...y and that would make it seem more like it's being sent from a fan.
  • ham736ham736 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    ya know, i was just thinking that we need to have a template, and then BAM! there is one. HMX, how do you read my mind. To the OP, it needs to sound serious because this is serious buisness. (Enter the "Why So Serious?" jokes)
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited July 2009
    This is a good read and I hope more people follow it when contacting bands. The last thing I want to see is artists getting annoyed with emails pertaining to RBN and then writing it off on that account.
  • RedJaguarRedJaguar Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    I just remembered that I personally know the owner of a small indie label :) going to mention RBN to them tomorrow :)

Although, unfortunately since I'm a PS3 player, I won't have access to it :(

This is the only reason I'm even contemplating buying RB2 for the 360 :( pity my $1K+ investment in DLC won't transfer over, so I wouldn't be getting the HMX DLC on it ...
  • OddbrotherOddbrother Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    About time you posted this!!! I was very impatient and hesitant on contacting bands...

This is exactly what I was worried about.
  • edited July 2009
    I think regardless of the template you use, the basic themes are:

*Be respectful and polite

*Don't come off too salesman-ish

*Use the links and resources posted to explain what it is

*Don't spam
  • KineticArtistKineticArtist Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    If we are a 3rd party website may we block quote summarize or reproduce the content on the press release (giving a back link to the original article of course) on our site directing interested parties to read further at the press release link?
  • howieduenhowieduen Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Here's an e-mail I sent to indie label ATO (According to Our) Records. They are the label home of Ben Kweller, Mike Doughty, Brendan Benson, My Morning Jacket, Gomez and recently Radiohead. I used Henry's template but added some "flavor" to it to make it seem real and personable.

Dear ATO Records,

First off, I just want to say that you have the best label name in the music business. You are also home to three of my all-time favorite artists - Ben Kweller, Gomez and Mike Doughty. AND, I'm super pscyhed that you're the new home of another of my all-time favorite artists, power pop mastermind Brendan Benson.

Now that the obligatory brown-nosing has been served thick and heavy, I have a question for you. Have you heard of the Rock Band Network (RBN) yet? It’s an initiative that gives individual bands and/or labels the ability to bring their own music to the video game Rock Band. I’m a huge fan of the Rock Band platform and I’d love to see some songs from the ATO catalog appear in the game. Rock Band isn't just a video game - it's a new platform for music. It brings the music we all love to the video game medium much like MTV and music videos brought music to the TV medium. It's a new way for people to experience and share the music that the ATO artists work so hard to create.

If you haven't heard about this initiative, you can read more about it in the following official press release:
    http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152225

You can also head over to http://creators.rockband.com for more info, including a preview video.

Thanks for your time, and thanks for continuing to bring me the music that I love. And, of course, I hope to see ATO artists in Rock Band soon!
  • Thom1234Thom1234 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Well, I've just messaged Grizzly Bear on their Myspace Page. I posted;

Hey,

Recently video game developer Harmonix announced the Rock Band Network, an initiative which allows bands and labels to include their music in the Rock Band video game series. The best sources of further information about it are The Press Release (http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152225) and the Rock Band Network Creator's Club Website (http://creators.rockband.com/)

As a huge fan of both the Rock Band games and Grizzly Bear, I'd love to see some of your songs in the game, and I'm sure many of your other fans would as well.

I used the template, but expanded on it to make it seem more personal.

Also, would e-mail addresses for "Press Inquiries" be appropriate to send messages to, or should I stick to Myspace messages?

I'm hoping I get some kind of response, as Southern Point, Two Weeks, While You Wait for the Others et al. would be amazing in Rock Band.
  • OddbrotherOddbrother Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Well, before this etiquette page showed up, I already started off on the wrong foot since none of the labels and bands I've contacted replied.

I'm screwed...
  • KoolkittiesKoolkitties Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    I think I might have to mail Jello Biafra just for the lulz.
  • OrdealByFireOrdealByFire Banned
    edited July 2009
    Hey HMX.

Lies Unknown

Good band. Get them. Lol.
  • KnucklesdudeKnucklesdude Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    David I think brought up a good point in the prospective songs topic.

If you're planning to author the song(s) yourself, make sure it is okay with the band/label that you may replicate the masters for use on Rock Band.

Don't wanna interrupt the fun with legal trouble. ;)
  • Caesar24Caesar24 Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    Mine is this:
    "In case you haven't heard, rockband has created a rockband network where you can add master tracks to their game and make more money than you did when you originally put the song out, so do it!"

LOL..no just kidding, I do already have four bands awaiting the network, wow, this is such a great idea. I hope your servers can handle all of this traffic, as this is gonna be WAY bigger than you think it is gonna be!

Greatest idea ever (since the invention of rockband/gh)
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited July 2009
    I think a link to the FAQ page of the Rhythm Authors website would be useful as well, as there are questions and answers that pertain to the RBN in general, and not just the services RA provides. Particularly this one. Also, some smaller bands may not have the resources to do all of the charting, and pointing them to someone who can might prevent them from passing on the idea because it's something they think they can't do.

One thing I plan to do is mention how much Rock Band has introduced me to new bands, and how a lot of the people that play Rock Band are huge music fans who are always looking for new music and a way to enjoy that music in the game.

The more you can demonstrate how it benefits them, the better. And that's obviously through increased exposure and another way to distribute their music to fans.
  • margitmargit Unsigned
    edited July 2009
    I sent an e-mail to a small indie band called A Million Years - they have some really good stuff. I sent the original suggestion from the first page plus linked Then to Rhythm Authors site suggested by topperharley.
    Hope they take the initiative!
    edited July 2009
    I sent this email to Decaydance Records. How's it sound?

Hello there Decaydance! I'm a huge fan of your roster. All amazing bands really! I'm also a big fan of Rock Band and LOVE the songs from FOB, Panic, The Cab, and Paramore that have appeared in the game already. It appears I'm not alone as "Crushcrushcrush" and "This Ain't A Scene..." are among the most downloaded songs in their library.

Call me greedy but I want MORE. More tracks and more bands. Hey Monday, The Academy Is, Cobra Starship, Four Year Strong, heck ALL of your artists would be amazing to have in the game honestly. Any song. EVERY song.

Now Harmonix has made this so much easier with the Rock Band Network. Have you guys heard about it? If not: http://creators.rockband.com

Pretty awesome, right? There are even professional services out there that are willing to do the tech work for you. The best of the bunch is probably Rhythm Authors (http://www.RhythmAuthors.com).

I think this is a such a great thing for the music industry. What do you guys think? I'd love to hear back and maybe even see some of your amazing bands show up on the RBN soon!

Thanks!

Stay rad forever,
    KT
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited July 2009
    kingtonyx;2787345 said:
    Stay rad forever,
    KT
    "Stay rad forever"? XD
    edited July 2009
    davidshek;2790588 said:
    "Stay rad forever"? XD
    yes, lol
    edited July 2009
    Here's my email to Yes's Oliver Wakeman.

Dear Oliver,

Last night, I went to the Yes concert at the Tower Theater. This was actually my first live concert (I'm thirteen years old and love Yes music!), and let me tell you, I was amazed at what I saw/heard. Benoit sounded great, Steve and Chris played very well, Alan was a beast on the drums, and your fingers flew fast and were very precise and every note that came out sounded fantastic, much like your father.

But anyways, have you heard of the video game Rock Band? Well, recently, Harmonix, its creator, has announced Rock Band Network, an add on to their ever-growing online music store. You can learn more about this in these links:

1. http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i4d0b1b4303c83997ea8bf1f3ea673d95
    2. http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2730754#post2730754

And if you are unsure of how charting Rock Band songs works, you can always give your master recordings to these guys. They're taught by the charting team of Harmonix.

I, along with many other people, would love to see Yes in Rock Band. If you want to tell your Yes bandmates about it, go ahead. If you want to submit songs of your own, that would be fine too.

Thank you for reading this.

Sincerely,
    [my name].