Help! (for young beatles fan)

gamegyro56gamegyro56 Road Warrior
edited July 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
I basically just experienced all of 1900's rock music just this year, and that included The Beatles. I'm only 15, so I haven't been exposed to beatles for that long. But, if I get all their studio UK albums (Please Please Me-Let it Be or Abbey Road), would I be missing out on something? Is there something that the UK studio albums don't have? Thanks.

Comments

• GloiGloiGloiGloi Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    gamegyro56;2772464 said:
    I basically just experienced all of 1900's rock music just this year, and that included The Beatles. I'm only 15, so I haven't been exposed to beatles for that long. But, if I get all their studio UK albums (Please Please Me-Let it Be or Abbey Road), would I be missing out on something? Is there something that the UK studio albums don't have? Thanks.
    If you get the Past Masters albums as well you have just about everything that was originally released. Then You need Beatles At The Beeb and the three Anthology albums and you have most of what's currently available. Don't be buying Beatles CDs for the studio albums though until the remasters come out on 9/9/9 (unless you aren't too bothered and there are bargains going)
  • Chew13accaChew13acca Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    Well I'd reccomend waiting a month after the remasters to see how they're reviewed. I'm doubtful they'd be anything less than superb (especially considering the mixing on LOVE, which I'm actually reasonably pleased with) but if they are, you'll know.
  • sandswipesandswipe Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    The studio albums are missing a lot of the most well known singles, including Hey Jude, Revolution (which is different from Revolution 1, 9, or 20), Inner Light, Lady Madonna, Rain, and Free as a Bird. The Anthology albums are mostly alternate takes, but there are a number of unique songs on there to make it really worthwhile.

Wait for the remasters. The difference on several of the songs I've previewed on Amazon is just astounding.
  • chrth_rbchrth_rb Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    The following plan is based on being cost-conscious:

Step 1: Go to Local Library, and rent any Beatles CDs they have (there are 12 studio albums and 2 Past Masters (i.e. singles collections) CDs) -- most libraries keep them in stock.

Step 1a. If the library doesn't have it, buy 1. The songs you like most from 1, find the CD they're on and buy those ... if you like them all, well, buy them all (but wait for 9/9/9).

Step 2: Listen to the CDs.

Step 3: If you're hungry for more, consider the Anthologies. But two things of note: they're expensive, and their replay value isn't very high except for some of the tracks. You might want to consider Live at the BBC, but that's all older songs, so if you like Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road more than Please Please Me, you might not care.
    edited July 2009
    Correction: Step 1a should say "If the library doesn't have any" (this PC won't let me edit)
  • vcalzonevcalzone Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Like someone said above, the albums don't have a lot of the singles, you have to get some of the collections to find those.

That being said, you were originally asking if there were songs on the US releases that aren't on the UK releases. And yes, there are. I've Just Seen A Face is one very notable example.

And I'm not going to tell you to do anything illegal to preview tracks. But I don't have to! Nearly every song on every album can be found on YouTube if you are curious. I would start out with Rubber Soul or Revolver, then move on to Abbey Road or White Album. But it's up to you!
    edited July 2009
    Like has been said The Two Past Masters volumes have just about everything that was released and not on a studio album.
  • Jordan10laJordan10la Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    vcalzone;2773270 said:

That being said, you were originally asking if there were songs on the US releases that aren't on the UK releases. And yes, there are. I've Just Seen A Face is one very notable example.
    I'm kinda in the same position as OP in wondering if how I can get all the songs but isn't I've Just Seen A Face on Help!

EDIT: Also I've never heard of The Beeb, where can I go about finding that? The only info Google finds is 24 rapid**** links.

EDIT: Wikipedia says "The current, "most-complete" version is an eleven-disc set available for free on the internet." Where could that be found?
    edited July 2009
    The Beeb=BBC, the CD set is called Live at the BBC
  • Jordan10laJordan10la Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    chrth_rb;2774755 said:
    The Beeb=BBC, the CD set is called Live at the BBC
    Yeah but I hear there is 11-12 disc sets of it.
  • gamegyro56gamegyro56 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    chrth_rb;2773223 said:
    The following plan is based on being cost-conscious:

Step 1: Go to Local Library, and rent any Beatles CDs they have (there are 12 studio albums and 2 Past Masters (i.e. singles collections) CDs) -- most libraries keep them in stock.

Step 1a. If the library doesn't have it, buy 1. The songs you like most from 1, find the CD they're on and buy those ... if you like them all, well, buy them all (but wait for 9/9/9).

Step 2: Listen to the CDs.

Step 3: If you're hungry for more, consider the Anthologies. But two things of note: they're expensive, and their replay value isn't very high except for some of the tracks. You might want to consider Live at the BBC, but that's all older songs, so if you like Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road more than Please Please Me, you might not care.
    Thanks. I just got White Album, Revolver, Yellow Submarine, and my parents just found Sgt Pepper's and Abbey Road. They're good. Also, what are the best live albums, and what are the tracks that makes Anthology worthwhile?
  • TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
    edited July 2009
    First, I would get the '1' album. It has all of their biggest hits, and is overall great.
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited July 2009
    gamegyro56;2774940 said:
    Thanks. I just got White Album, Revolver, Yellow Submarine, and my parents just found Sgt Pepper's and Abbey Road. They're good. Also, what are the best live albums, and what are the tracks that makes Anthology worthwhile?
    There are two live albums. The first one (Live at the Hollywood Bowl) is very rare and is only available on vinyl. The other (BBC Sessions) can only be found online.

Anthology 1 and 3 are the best. Anthology 1 has several interesting early recordings from the fifties and early sixties when Pete Best and Stuart Sutcliffe were still in the band. Anthology 1 also has "Free as a Bird," a song Paul, George and Ringo recorded around one of John's old demo tapes after he died. Anthology 3 is justifiable because of its version of "Something" alone.
  • gamegyro56gamegyro56 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Julio_Strikes_Back;2775194 said:
    There are two live albums. The first one (Live at the Hollywood Bowl) is very rare and is only available on vinyl. The other (BBC Sessions) can only be found online.
    Do they sell the videos of places like rooftop concert, and things like the youtube video for hello goodbye? Where do people get those videos?
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited July 2009
    gamegyro56;2775339 said:
    Do they sell the videos of places like rooftop concert, and things like the youtube video for hello goodbye? Where do people get those videos?
    The rooftop concert is from the movie "Let it Be." It's a documentary about the Beatles when they are recording Let it Be and Abbey Road. At the end of the movie, The Beatles play a concert on the top of 3 Seville Row in London. There is no DVD for this movie, only VHS and Laserdisc, which are both rare and out of production. You can easily find the whole movie for download on the internet. Actually, it's all on Youtube split into parts last time I checked.

The rest are either tapes of promotional videos released in the sixties or from the Anthology DVDs. All are hard to find, but you could probably purchase the Anthology DVDs from Amazon.
  • Backbeat60-62Backbeat60-62 Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    gamegyro56;2775339 said:
    This stuff has never been released, only shown on TV a long time ago. A lot of it never even shown anywhere. Basically all this video came from other fans/collectors and used to get traded around in collector trading circles. That used to be the only way to see any of this stuff, you had to know somebody.
    edited July 2009
    'The Beatles at Shea Stadium' can be found on Youtube and is worth watching.
  • Moony_LupinMoony_Lupin Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I would also spend a day watching the Beatles Anthology on YouTube. It will blow your mind if you're not a big Beatles fan and be highly informative even if you are.

Also, I wouldn't recommend purchasing a bunch of albums at once. It's easy to get overwhelmed and you won't likely listen to them all. The "1" album is a good starting point as someone suggested, but "Abbey Road" and "Help!" are also good. Also watch their movies, A Hard Day's Night and Help!. Help! is funnier.
    edited July 2009
    gamegyro56;2774940 said:
    The tracks that make the Anthology worthwhile differ from person to person. I, for example, love the version of Helter Skelter that's on Anthology, but other people might consider it a crime before God and Vishnu.

I do want to reiterate that Anthology is expensive, and unless you feel yourself completely blown away by the CDs, it's probably not a worthwhile investment. You may be better off watching the Anthology documentary. That said, Free As A Bird and Real Love should be available on YouTube (those are the new singles on the Anthology CDs)

Live at the BBC is live but it's live in a studio, not played live. But like others said, YouTube has a lot of it now, so just dig through it.