quickest ways to ruin a song or album?

afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
edited July 2009 in History of Rock
everyone has pet peeves with music, but some can run so deep that they can oftentimes ruin an otherwise decent song or album... let's share...

few things scream "filler" faster than having to sit and listen in on a scripted telephone call or answering machine message... additional negative marks for having to hear an actual phone ring...

and seriously, why would something that i 100% associate with tedious waiting and obsolete technology be thrown into so many equally dull bedroom projects' music?
begone lame sample of the "dial-up internet sound"! begone forever!

gimmicks aside, i'm perfectly ready to be buried without ever having to hear another black metal record with faked "raw" production (aka: we plug directly into line-in on our PC) and instrumentation that breaks off into one or more pseudo-epic midi orchestra tracks.
i mean, it's one thing to pay tribute to classical music but downloading midi files and running them through a sampler just doesn't deserve my attention.

Comments

• XacharyCrossXacharyCross Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Depending on how I'm playing it, but Suites (if they're all meant to go as one song) or Partial Narratives/Intros/Outros that're broken up, instead of being the single track.

There's usually a gap between the tracks that messes up the flow-together, and it makes for irritation on shuffle play.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    i think i have done everything listed in everyone's posts in my own music, with the exception of the things listed in my own post of course. :)
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Sync errors.

That is all.
  • SquaretrianglesSquaretriangles Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I love how DT put two parts of a two part suite on opposite ends of Systematic Chaos. Not.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    Squaretriangles;2774607 said:
    I love how DT put two parts of a two part suite on opposite ends of Systematic Chaos. Not.
    Yeah, I wish they put the entire In The Presence Of Enemies track into 1 track. That would be some 25 minute epic if they did.

Shooting down my own comment here, but I think it was better that they separated them because Part 2 is a lot better than Part 1. Part 1 is more of an intro to the rest of the album
  • Teh_JakesterTeh_Jakester Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Re-recording tracks from previous albums. I've already heard the song; I don't care if you're a Progressive Post-Punkcore band now.
    I'll use Whitesnake as an example. To my knowledge, they did this thrice; Here I Go Again (82/87), Crying in the Rain (82/87), Fool for Your Loving (80/89). Two out of three of these were actually worse than the originals (Crying in the Rain and Fool for Your Loving). And the one that was better (Here I Go Again) featured worse lyrics than the original ("like a drifter I was born to walk alone" instead of "like a hobo I was born to walk alone").
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    Mega-Tallica;2774578 said:
    I always hated 'intro' tracks that have a boring acoustic guitar or piano before the album erupts on the second track. For me, I just want to hear the music, no need to add intro's to the beginning of albums, just get right to it.
    intro tracks just make the song that comes after it more EPIC! :D
    edited July 2009
    neckermanncj;2774698 said:
    intro tracks just make the song that comes after it more EPIC! :D
    Yeah, I guess it's a sort of build-up. Sometimes it fits really well, but most of the time it doesn't seem needed.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Teh_Jakester;2774648 said:
    Re-recording tracks from previous albums. I've already heard the song; I don't care if you're a Progressive Post-Punkcore band now.
    I'll use Whitesnake as an example. To my knowledge, they did this thrice; Here I Go Again (82/87), Crying in the Rain (82/87), Fool for Your Loving (80/89). Two out of three of these were actually worse than the originals (Crying in the Rain and Fool for Your Loving). And the one that was better (Here I Go Again) featured worse lyrics than the original ("like a drifter I was born to walk alone" instead of "like a hobo I was born to walk alone").
    Why is drifter worse than hobo?
  • Teh_JakesterTeh_Jakester Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;2774718 said:
    Why is drifter worse than hobo?
    Why is it better?
    Hobo makes more sense. Boxcars and such. Drifter was put in to Americanise it, I think.
    edited July 2009
    'Hobo' is kind of an ugly word, don't you think?
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Teh_Jakester;2774734 said:
    Why is it better?
    Hobo makes more sense. Boxcars and such. Drifter was put in to Americanise it, I think.
    Well, drifter sounds better to me, but I guess that's just my LOLOPNION.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited July 2009
    XacharyCross;2774581 said:
    Depending on how I'm playing it, but Suites (if they're all meant to go as one song) or Partial Narratives/Intros/Outros that're broken up, instead of being the single track.

There's usually a gap between the tracks that messes up the flow-together, and it makes for irritation on shuffle play.
    Same here. I would probably listen to "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" much more if it was one solid track, not something broken up into pieces.
    edited July 2009
    WhiffleBallTony;2774803 said:
    Same here. I would probably listen to "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" much more if it was one solid track, not something broken up into pieces.
    I wouldn't have the attention span to listen to one solid 42 minute song. I like it breaked up because I don't like every part of the song. Throw out Goodnight Kiss and I may be able to listen to the whole thing as one song.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Mega-Tallica;2774810 said:
    I wouldn't have the attention span to listen to one solid 42 minute song. I like it breaked up because I don't like every part of the song. Throw out Goodnight Kiss and I may be able to listen to the whole thing as one song.
    I'm the opposite. It's always hard for me to jump into the middle of, say, The Wall.
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    I have no qualms about long tracks that are broken up into sections. More because I like the extra scrobbles on last.fm than anything. :D
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited July 2009
    Teh_Jakester;2774648 said:
    Yeah, personally, I think the second one sounds a lot worse. There are a few words that I love using personally, but I don't think they sound very good in music. Hobo is one of them. Drifter is the much more "musical" of the two, if you catch my drift. haha, I made a pun
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    Covers, sometimes broken up epics, and bad growls
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited July 2009
    Oh, to actually contribute to the topic: I can't stand bad MIDI. If there's one thing that ruins an album for me, it's if any part of the sound is made from really bad MIDI files.

(Millionaires, I'm looking at you)
    edited July 2009
    Fizzeler;2774856 said:
    Covers, sometimes broken up epics, and bad growls
    Portnoy. 'Nuff said.
    edited July 2009
    Squaretriangles;2774969 said:
    Portnoy. 'Nuff said.
    he is pretty bad, but he was good on back-up vocals for Transatlantic
    edited July 2009
    Fizzeler;2774973 said:
    he is pretty bad, but he was good on back-up vocals for Transatlantic
    Was he singing or growling? I have yet to give Transatlantic a listen. :o
    edited July 2009
    Squaretriangles;2774985 said:
    Was he singing or growling? I have yet to give Transatlantic a listen. :o
    singing
    edited July 2009
    Fizzeler;2775010 said:
    singing
    Yeah, his singing his pretty good. His growling, though, is....ugh, just ugh.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited July 2009
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited July 2009
    ^How dare you say skits, The Cheerful Insanity of Giles and Fripp wouldn't be the same without them. :p

I would say something that definitely ruins a song for me is poor musicianship. Note, I'm not referring to the skill level, but rather what they do with that skill. A song that is so simple and bare that doesn't have a strong melody and build up to make it work usually sticks out as being bad quite quickly. A song that is perfectly fine, but has a boring wank section or tasteless fill is bad as well. I mean come on, if you know how to play well, why don't you use your ability to come up with something more tasteful or simply don't do it.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited July 2009
    JukeBoxHero;2775343 said:
    ^How dare you say skits, The Cheerful Insanity of Giles and Fripp wouldn't be the same without them. :p

I would say something that definitely ruins a song for me is poor musicianship. Note, I'm not referring to the skill level, but rather what they do with that skill. A song that is so simple and bare that doesn't have a strong melody and build up to make it work usually sticks out as being bad quite quickly. A song that is perfectly fine, but has a boring wank section or tasteless fill is bad as well. I mean come on, if you know how to play well, why don't you use your ability to come up with something more tasteful or simply don't do it.
    I meant skits on hip-hop albums. ;)
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Runesmith;2775381 said:
    Better meant it. :D
  • supernova1324supernova1324 Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Runesmith;2775381 said:
    That's just code for saying, "I didn't like College Dropout by Kanye West" amirite?
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited July 2009
    quickest way? if the album is released by a band i hate with a passion, it's already ruined before i would ever glance at the thing