Does Harmonix have any plans to open the RBN to other consoles?

RoganSarineRoganSarine Unsigned
edited August 2009 in The Rock Band Network
I understand that they will port over select songs after a 30 day exclusive, but that really makes me not feel like contacting my bands because the chances of the songs being ported over are probably very slim AND I won't even get the whole album of the indie bands I like.

I was wondering if there was any program thinking of being released for the playstation 3, or even the wii. With the playstation's open ended online platform, I can't really see how programming a program for it would be overly hard or time consuming because Sony would easily give it the thumbs up. I'm going to assume this is another microsoft exclusive thing unfortunately... but still.

I would join the XNA Creators Club again if there was a more sure way that I could play the songs I made on the Playstation. While I do own the 360 version, none of my modded instruments work on it nor the DLC I plopped over $500 into.

It can seem like another whiner, but there is no point putting a bunch of work and money into making my own songs if I will never be able to play them so I was wondering if it'll ever come to the Playstation or how frequently/many harmonix will port over?

Will it be select songs? Or could it be all the RBN songs of that band?

Comments

• RedBaron45RedBaron45 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Eventually they plan to, but for the time being, no.
    edited July 2009
    RoganSarine;2776948 said:

I was wondering if there was any program thinking of being released for the playstation 3, or even the wii. With the playstation's open ended online platform, I can't really see how programming a program for it would be overly hard or time consuming because Sony would easily give it the thumbs up. I'm going to assume this is another microsoft exclusive thing unfortunately... but still.

It's not an issue of Microsoft paying HMX to keep it off the other consoles, it's an issue of Microsoft being the only one with the ability to do something like this. HMX said that it took a significant amount of backend work (meaning work on MIcrosoft's end that only Microsoft can do) and Sony is either unable or unwilling to do the same work at this time. That's not to say that HMX isn't trying to get them to do it, but it hasn't happened yet.
  • SoratarSoratar Scapegoat
    edited July 2009
    Check out these quotes:
    hmxsean;2729976 said:
    We are working closely with the other consoles to get it work. We do hope that we can make this viable for all systems at some point.
    hmxsean;2730794 said:
    All I can say is we are working on it . . . Again, we are talking to, and have been talking to for some time, the other consoles so we can make this universal.
  • iruhlmaniruhlman Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    It's not an issue of Microsoft paying HMX to keep it off the other consoles, it's an issue of Microsoft being the only one with the ability to do something like this. HMX said that it took a significant amount of backend work (meaning work on MIcrosoft's end that only Microsoft can do) and Sony is either unable or unwilling to do the same work at this time. That's not to say that HMX isn't trying to get them to do it, but it hasn't happened yet.
    this will sound mean but having bought the 599.99 machine i feel i have a right to say it.

many devs have complained about how painfull the PS3 is to work with, what makes you think of gamers would do any better?

IMO - they need to focus on Home, not this
  • ArmsAreLoudArmsAreLoud Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    I don't see the ability to test the songs and stuff coming to Wii; frankly, all I want is access to all the songs, not just a fraction of them.
    edited August 2009
    ArmsAreLoud;2818542 said:
    I don't see the ability to test the songs and stuff coming to Wii; frankly, all I want is access to all the songs, not just a fraction of them.
    i guess we'll have to see exactly how much comes out of RBN. If indeed 10 songs comes out daily, HMX will have their hands full trying to get tracks over to the other 2 systems, I surely feel for them.

At least they don't have to do this x 2 more consoles. That could = 30 tracks per day per system. Highly doubt HMX would even want to do that. but I could be wrong.
  • johnahlbergjohnahlberg Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    Hell I could care less if we PS3 users could just get a user created pack a week of 15-20. 10 even. It's all fine with me as long as I can eventually play my own song on my own blasted console.

But hell, I just hope RBN makes it's way to the PS3 sooner than later. It would be good for the community but I understand the pain it must create to have to work with such a tricky system. Sure the payout is good, but damn, the work that is needed to be put in can be excruciating.
  • AKALinkAKALink Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    I would put it as HMX wants the RBN to be on the other systems, but they are having trouble and contacting the other systems' companies to brainstorm how this can work.
  • edited August 2009
  • Gundam-FighterGundam-Fighter Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    Just feel like putting this in.

Many devs HAVE said it's harder to make stuff on the PS3 but I believe that that's just been said because it's the newest console and it's system isn't like a port of something else (I'm pretty sure 360's OS was built from a more basic build of Windows) which just makes it harder as it's new nand will obviously take time to get used to.

Also as another note on PS HOME there's a bit in the event square or whatever it's called that has an interview with the creators of Fat Princess and one of them says that the things you can do with even PSN games is amazing or something like that. I don't think that it's an amazing reach to have the PSN equivalent of XNA I just don't think that until interest is more heightened that Sony just won't bother BUT it's nothing to say that Harmonix couldn't make something just for Rock Band.
  • JohnnyLobesJohnnyLobes Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    I would like some clarification if Microsoft "WON'T" let this work on other systems or HMX "CAN'T" get this to work on other systems. Seeing how HMX is all about vrining music to the players. We should know so we know where to spend our dollars to make our voice heard.
  • dragonflyrdragonflyr Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    JohnnyLobes;2851539 said:
    I would like some clarification if Microsoft "WON'T" let this work on other systems or HMX "CAN'T" get this to work on other systems. Seeing how HMX is all about vrining music to the players. We should know so we know where to spend our dollars to make our voice heard.
    it has nothing to do with "microsoft not letting this work" on other systems. (microsoft has no control over other systems.)

microsoft has the backend system in place to do this kind of thing. sony does not. it is ultimately up to sony to get something like this going.
    as soon as sony (or nintendo) could get their network house in order, i'm sure hmx would be on it asap.
    edited August 2009
    irockprettyhard;2839981 said:
    short answer:maybe
    probably the real answer (at least for this version of RBN)

this is only going to work on Xbox and it's XNA service mainly because its been in place for years already. I highly doubt Sony and Nintendo would create something to make this happen, especially when HMX are going to bring some of the tracks over to them anyways. I'm sure they're just fine with that.

I take back my original post though, Sony should scrap Home and work on this ASAP! =)
  • SFentonSFenton Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    Dear RB Community,
    I can't imagine that any of you haven't given thought to the Wii version of the game. As full-featured as it is, and how much each and every one of us love it, I imagine it being a near-impossible feat to accomplish technologically.

Why? It's a bit of an odd problem that stems from issues arising from the development of the homebrew community.

To get "our own" content into the game, options must be considered by both HMX, Nintendo, and other related third parties, options that would be less harmful to the console and more beneficial to the user, so long, so forth.

Being originally involved in a homebrew program that allows you to put your own songs in the game (as there's not a specific area to discuss it, those who know what it is know what it is, those who don't, please don't ask), I feel that I know enough about the situation to safely discuss it.

The first option would be to reopen a fakesignable IOS (for the newbies: firmware, sort of) in order for HMX to release, say, a channel that would search for specifically created .bin files within files on the SD Card (those who use CaitSith2's DLC Manager on the PC side know what I'm talking about), and "sign" said DLC so that it's
    A) Tied to the console
    B) Recognizable by the game.

But how would one create the DLC? Magma and the audio editor, of course. Once completed, let's say HMX releases a Wii-specific PC tool that exports to .bin and a new file within the DLC folders of the SD Card.

Here's where things get kind of tricky though. By reopening that fakesignable IOS, we have the ability to put our music in and "test" it. Of course, Wii will never be allowed to have an Audition mode (save for Rock Band 3 and beyond), but it would work. Two problems arise though:

1) Without patching the savegame (like the homebrew does), the music would have to go into an existing DLC folder. That's all fine and dandy until you want to buy a DLC song that uses the same number as the music you created. So you could either:
    A) Overwrite your hard work, or
    B) Not download the DLC you want.

2) By patching the savegame, we effectively reduce Nintendo's ability to stop piracy by reopening that IOS that Nintendo has painstakingly (not really) removed from newer Wiis. That means that everything they've attempted to do to stop homebrewers (more likely pirates, in general) is negated, only for a cause that very few people (on Wii at least) will find useful.

What's my ideal solution? Have a WiiWare Rock Band Audition mode, and nothing more, that reads unsigned files created by a HMX-developed tool. No modifications of IOS, no savegame patchers. And if you like it, well, click a little submit button that lets you upload the file to either an NUS Server (doubt it, highly), or an HMX server (more likely). Wait for approval.

One more small problem is monetary issues- I don't know how it works on Wii.

As a Wii owner who loves to chart and drums in real life, I realize firmly that there is no solution in near sight that safely guards the Wii while allowing us to play our legally-created "custom songs". However, by opening my mind, offering my suggestions, and giving out a little knowledge to the community, I hope that one day, Wii owners like myself will be able to play our own, created music in a beta state and upload them to the Network for the world to see.