PS3 Guitar Compatibility - UPDATE 12/12/2007

edited January 2008 in Announcements
Hi Everyone,

As we have said in the past, Harmonix and MTV Games believe in an open standard philosophy of hardware and game compatibility. We think that there should be interoperability between music instrument controllers across all music games. This is clearly in the best interest of consumers, game developers and console manufacturers and will only help to grow the music game genre as well as inspire innovation and creativity.

Two weeks ago, Harmonix created a software patch for the Sony PLAYSTATION 3 version of Rock Band that allowed for guitar compatibility and support for third party peripherals, including enabling use of Activision's Guitar Hero III controller with Rock Band. The compatibility patch was submitted, approved and had been scheduled for release by Sony on Tuesday, December 4. Unfortunately, Activision objected to the compatibility patch's release. The patch remains with Sony, but we have been told that it will unfortunately not be released due to Activision's continued objection.

As is the case with the Microsoft Xbox360, we believe that Sony PLAYSTATION 3 users should be able to use the peripheral of their choice with Rock Band. We sincerely hope that Activision will reverse its decision and allow release of the compatibility patch and further, that Activision will allow Guitar Hero III to support Rock Band guitar controllers as well. We welcome all third party developers who wish to support our controllers and will provide any required support in order for them to do so.

We believe that when consumers have choice, everyone wins. Harmonix and MTV Games hope that Activision and others will also adopt this philosophy.

Sincerely,
The Harmonix Team

Comments

• SoulScremeSoulScreme Rising Star
    edited December 2007
    sweett310;190309 said:
    Untrue. As stated in a previous post, Harmonix has stated that their game is "open", meaning any "open" guitar will work. The problem came about because Activision's GHIII guitar is NOT "open". If you buy any third party guitar, it should still work.
    Yeah, which one should we buy?
  • psDragonpsDragon Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Thanks for the link.

I just posted how displeased I was and that I would no longer be purchasing Activision products in the future.

If they get a few thousands of those I'm sure they will re think their decision.
  • sweett310sweett310 Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Aldous;190311 said:
    What third party guitars? Am i missing something
    I'm not talking of any one in particular. But when GH and GHII exploded on the scene a few years back, there were plenty of non Red-Octane guitars on the market. I don't know if there are any out there right now, but give it time, once the holiday season comes to a close I'm sure there will be some.

And yes, I know, that doesn't help anyone now. Believe me, as I am one who is waiting on my replacement guitar to arrive like many of you are, I am sorely missing playing guitar on RB.
  • NotorietyHNotorietyH Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    Well I sent off a big ranty, strongly worded comment to Activision. It takes a lot to get me to go to those lengths as I've held off on making any sort of complaint, rant, etc. etc. until it was confirmed exactly what was going on with the guitar compatibility issue. There is no way in any shape of form that this makes a lick of business or any other type of sense. they're just being pricks out of spite or bitterness. I'm really tempted to smash GHIII and the controller to pieces and mail it to them and I'm going to warn every one of my friends not to buy GHIII. Seems like Call of Duty 4 is the last Activision game I'll ever have bought.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Use the support link and E-mail their tech support team, I just did.

PLEASE lets not completely flame them, sound professional and be clear and concice. But do let them know that NO ONE will be buying Activision products from this fiasco...
  • AldousAldous Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    sweett310;190324 said:
    I'm not talking of any one in particular. But when GH and GHII exploded on the scene a few years back, there were plenty of non Red-Octane guitars on the market. I don't know if there are any out there right now, but give it time, once the holiday season comes to a close I'm sure there will be some.

And yes, I know, that doesn't help anyone now. Believe me, as I am one who is waiting on my replacement guitar to arrive like many of you are, I am sorely missing playing guitar on RB.
    Look at the cover of the PS3 game it says compatible with "most music game controllers" It did not say future music game controllers.
  • dlk10000dlk10000 Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Just sent them my displeasure as well. I have a copy of GHIII sitting here unopened that will be going back to the store tomorrow. Everyone here is right though, we need to let Activision know this is ridiculous.
  • TuRDMaNTuRDMaN Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Finally HMX let us know what is really going on. THANK YOU! Now we can direct all our hate towards the appropriate people :D
  • zippocagezippocage Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    I just send Activision an email asking them to please approve the patch using their contact us form on the web page.

If you own Rockband PS3, please do the same!
  • edited December 2007
    I have voiced my displeasure to Activision via email. I would encourage every member of these forums to do the same, PS3 or not, this is a fundamental matter of putting spite for another dev/publisher in front of servicing customers.

BOYCOTT is the only language these people understand. Vote with your wallets, folks!
  • edited December 2007
    More direct way to get to their "Contact Us" buried in their Flash pages?

http://www.activision.com/index.html?module=contact
  • derrikirredderrikirred Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Already sent an email. This is ridiculous.
  • ktm450excktm450exc Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    So I guess writing a patch to use the PS3 controller, or a PS3 arcade controller, and including a "button mapping" feature isn't feasible?

Don't call it a "guitar compatibility" patch, call it a "SIXAXIS controller with button mapping" patch. Then have an EULA that says "You are prohibited from using an Activision GH3 controller with this game." It wouldn't be your fault someone plugs in a GH3 controller, fingers some buttons, flip-flops a strummer, and whammies a whammy bar.
  • QuyreanQuyrean Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    I think it is Sony that needs to step up and declare that all third party controlers should be compatable. I think that is why 360 works.

If Sony learns that people will be buying xbox instead of playstation because of compatability reasons, perhaps they will fix this problem.

If I wanted incompatible stuff, I would by a PC. This is totally irresponsible of SONY to allow this stuff to go on on their console. All regular controlers are compatible, why not guitars?
  • ZelandiaZelandia Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    I'll be voicing my displeasure very very soon. I just don't understand why they are trying to stop the patch from being released. The 360 controller works... why not let the PS3?
  • edited December 2007
    I have just submitted this to Eurogamer as news. I urge as many of you to bombard games sites with this, get them to run a story and rightfully shame Activision.
  • sweett310sweett310 Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Aldous;190331 said:
    Look at the cover of the PS3 game it says compatible with "most music game controllers" It did not say future music game controllers.
    Touchet. I got nothing then.
  • bramblerbrambler Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Only reason I bought their game was to get another guitar for Rock Band. I hope they realize they are losing sales by doing this BS!

I don't see how it would be illegal for this patch to be released. Sony should tell Activision to eat a fat one and just release the damn thing!

Is Activision just jealous that Harmonix made a better game or what?
  • SuburbanHellSuburbanHell Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    carlnorum;190226 said:
    How do I contact Activision to express my displeasure?
    Likewise. I'll be boycotting Activision for this nonsense.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited December 2007
    Thank you for clarifying this, Harmonix. When Activision decided to block this patch, they probably weren't expecting it to get out in the open like this and backfire much, but I'm glad you guys are letting everyone know the truth. If they continue to block the release of this patch, I guarantee that I will never be buying another Guitar Hero franchise item in my life.

Here's hoping this situation turns around quickly. I'm off to send my e-mail to Activision now to let them know that they're in the process of losing a customer.

It's completely ridiculous that they would take sure a pro-active stance on prohibiting people from enjoying Guitar Hero III's hardware even more with another game.
  • ManOwaRManOwaR Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    Ok, so Activision is the enemy now. It's good to at least know who's what. Thank you for this update.

I'll reread for places that I can call and email and send complaint letters to, to activision.

regards.
  • gr8whtd0pegr8whtd0pe Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    I don't know this still doesn't sit right with me, why would Activision do this?

But why is there no patch to stop the 360's from working then? This all just screams PR bs to keep us quiet for awhile
  • toad3000toad3000 Road Warrior
    edited December 2007
    I already e-mailed Activision, not only to encourage them to release the patch, but also to let them know that this would influence my decision to buy their products in the future. Between the Guitar Hero franchise and the fact that they're merging with Blizzard, that could stand to hurt...but dammit, they deserve it.
  • srkishysrkishy Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    I also just sent a very strongly worded email to activision, and I do urge everyone on these forums to do the same. This isn't just about the ps3 compatibility, but about corporate responsibility to the consumer. This type of business is just rediculous, boycott, they'll have to listen.
  • LaredenLareden Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    So is there going to be a reduced compatibility patch for 360?

Dumb move by Activision, I was all set to go out and buy GH3. Glad I waited.
  • edited December 2007
    Yes, of course, because HMX would say something that leaves them open to an almighty legal whipping!

COME ON MAN! THINK!
  • ManOwaRManOwaR Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    First step people. http://www.activision.com/index.html click contact us. Email smartly and reference the above announcement post. If you just swear and act like a moron it won't help.

Again, click http://www.activision.com/index.html

then click contact us.
  • carlnorumcarlnorum Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    I just sent activision a letter as well. Hopefully they'll do an about-face on this ridiculous idea.

If not, anybody else in the bay area who wants to smash some guitars over at RedOctane?
  • JodicusJodicus Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    I posted them as well telling them I was going to buy GH3 so I could use both the guitars from GH3 and RB, but I then went to tell them I would not be buying any of thier products including GH3 unless I patch was delivered. I find it outrageous that 360 owners don't get restricted (nothing against them) but it is unfair.
This discussion has been closed.