PS3 Guitar Compatibility - UPDATE 12/12/2007

edited January 2008 in Announcements
Hi Everyone,

As we have said in the past, Harmonix and MTV Games believe in an open standard philosophy of hardware and game compatibility. We think that there should be interoperability between music instrument controllers across all music games. This is clearly in the best interest of consumers, game developers and console manufacturers and will only help to grow the music game genre as well as inspire innovation and creativity.

Two weeks ago, Harmonix created a software patch for the Sony PLAYSTATION 3 version of Rock Band that allowed for guitar compatibility and support for third party peripherals, including enabling use of Activision's Guitar Hero III controller with Rock Band. The compatibility patch was submitted, approved and had been scheduled for release by Sony on Tuesday, December 4. Unfortunately, Activision objected to the compatibility patch's release. The patch remains with Sony, but we have been told that it will unfortunately not be released due to Activision's continued objection.

As is the case with the Microsoft Xbox360, we believe that Sony PLAYSTATION 3 users should be able to use the peripheral of their choice with Rock Band. We sincerely hope that Activision will reverse its decision and allow release of the compatibility patch and further, that Activision will allow Guitar Hero III to support Rock Band guitar controllers as well. We welcome all third party developers who wish to support our controllers and will provide any required support in order for them to do so.

We believe that when consumers have choice, everyone wins. Harmonix and MTV Games hope that Activision and others will also adopt this philosophy.

Sincerely,
The Harmonix Team

Comments

• ms3boyms3boy Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    I just went to activision.com and went to the support section and submitted my question asking why they are blocking the patch. I suggest others do the same.

Hopefully we can put the pressure on Activision to back down. I don't see Sony standing up to Activision now that they command a much larger empire (due to the merger).
  • onemadbeastieonemadbeastie Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    i'm boycotting activision :mad:

why the animosity all of a sudden from Activision/RO? don't they see it would be a win-win for all?

when contacting try to:

Be polite
    Keep the information concise and to the point
    Include a brief history of the issue, if applicable
    Do not accept being passed back to "Customer Services" or elsewhere within the organisation
    Insist on a reply from the CEO

some point of contacts:

Activision, Inc.
    DBA Vicarious Visions

[email]mlataif@activision.com[/email] (valid) Maryanne Lataif - VP - Corporate Communications
    [email]ir@activision.com[/email] investor relations (valid)
    [email]hr@activision.com[/email] human resourses (valid)
    [email]support@activision.com[/email](no longer works) [email]cs7@activision.com[/email](got back an automated response to use the support form on their website) customer support

Address: 3100 Ocean Park Blvd.
    Santa Monica, CA 90405 Other Addresses:

Primary Phone: (310) 255-2000
    Other Phone Numbers: (310) 255-2050
    Connie Fox or Lauren Barry (310) 255-2509

Primary Fax: (310) 255-2152
    Other Fax Numbers: (310) 255-2151

Contacts:

Robert Kotick [email]bkotick@activision.com[/email] (valid)
    CEO

Assistants to Robert Kotick
    Connie Fox [email]cfox@activision.com[/email] (valid)
    Lauren Barry [email]lbarry@activision.com[/email](valid)

Phil Terzian
    Sr. Director of Government Affairs

Rich Robinson
    VP Quality Assurance/Customer Support

Dyer Ashley
    Sr. Manager Corporate Communications

Gary Bolduc
    Customer Service Manager

George Rose
    Senior VP/Bus Affair, Gen Cnsl

Mike Hill
    Customer Support Manager

*if you have trouble getting through you can also try to call after office hours and get through to the employees directory or dial the first few letters of the persons last name to be transferred to their direct line, voice mail, or assistant in charge of thier calls.
  • EvsterEvster Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    WTF, doesn't Activision want to sell more guitars? I feel with this patch they would sell more GH3 bundles. I DID IT! I had gh3 for ps2, but got it for ps3 because I heard of this patch. But now it isn't happening. Doesn't make sense to me.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Wow, now it is official!

Activision is getting NOTHING but hate mail from me and we need to prove a point by BOYCOTTING all of their products from now on!!!!

Harmonix Team, THANK YOU for the update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sweett310sweett310 Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    http://www.activision.com/index.html
    --> Contact Us (bottom right of screen)

Send comments!!!! BOYCOTT!!
  • AldousAldous Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    jq715861;190245 said:

GH3 = Godfather 3
    LOL

i just sent an email to activision and i plan on boycotting all games made by the company. This is total BS.

Thanks for the info on this harmonix. I guess you have to change your ps3 packaging to reflect the fact that no other guitars will work with RB.
  • jasoncourtjasoncourt Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    I think alot of this is in our hands now. We've got to put the consumer pressure on Activision. So come on all you PS3 owners and everyone else who believes in what's right...let's get em! (cheesy yes, but also serious)

This seems like a good place to start: http://activision.custhelp.com
    If anyone has a better link please post it.
  • abrickoabricko Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Activision doesn't realize that a lot of people bought GH3 knowing they were going to use the guitar for RB as a bass... they made a lot of money due to this and were able to post good results... this helped them out a ton... what they also don't realize is by them playing hardball and not releasing online content... they will not be able to continue to compete with RB in the coming years.

This whole situation has left a sour taste in my mouth, sure i'm upset they work on XBOX and not PS3 and that there are no standalone guitars out yet. It's ok, Activision can keep playing hard ball when the standalone guitars come out we'll all buy them and the market will be flooded with GH3 games and guitars. What's the point of keeping GH3 anymore if they don't release new downloadable content and if they are playing dirty to stay ahead.

Goodbye Activision!

Maybe someone will leak it to us.
  • PaleSaintPaleSaint Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    I agree, this in no way favors Activision, why would they do it.

I was planning to buy GH3 since I wanted an extra guitar for RB and also because I want to play the songs that are in GH3 but not on RB.

But, because of this they just lost a sale. C'mon people let's flood their customer support lines:

http://www.activision.com/index.html#
    edited December 2007
    Aldous;190288 said:

Thanks for the info on this harmonix. I guess you have to change your ps3 packaging to reflect the fact that no other guitars will work with RB.
    Untrue. As stated in a previous post, Harmonix has stated that their game is "open", meaning any "open" guitar will work. The problem came about because Activision's GHIII guitar is NOT "open". If you buy any third party guitar, it should still work.
  • AldousAldous Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    sweett310;190309 said:
    Untrue. As stated in a previous post, Harmonix has stated that their game is "open", meaning any "open" guitar will work. The problem came about because Activision's GHIII guitar is NOT "open". If you buy any third party guitar, it should still work.
    What third party guitars? Am i missing something
  • SoulScremeSoulScreme Rising Star
    edited December 2007
    sweett310;190309 said:
    Yeah, which one should we buy?
  • psDragonpsDragon Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Thanks for the link.

I just posted how displeased I was and that I would no longer be purchasing Activision products in the future.

If they get a few thousands of those I'm sure they will re think their decision.
    edited December 2007
    Aldous;190311 said:
    What third party guitars? Am i missing something
    I'm not talking of any one in particular. But when GH and GHII exploded on the scene a few years back, there were plenty of non Red-Octane guitars on the market. I don't know if there are any out there right now, but give it time, once the holiday season comes to a close I'm sure there will be some.

And yes, I know, that doesn't help anyone now. Believe me, as I am one who is waiting on my replacement guitar to arrive like many of you are, I am sorely missing playing guitar on RB.
  • NotorietyHNotorietyH Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    Well I sent off a big ranty, strongly worded comment to Activision. It takes a lot to get me to go to those lengths as I've held off on making any sort of complaint, rant, etc. etc. until it was confirmed exactly what was going on with the guitar compatibility issue. There is no way in any shape of form that this makes a lick of business or any other type of sense. they're just being pricks out of spite or bitterness. I'm really tempted to smash GHIII and the controller to pieces and mail it to them and I'm going to warn every one of my friends not to buy GHIII. Seems like Call of Duty 4 is the last Activision game I'll ever have bought.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Use the support link and E-mail their tech support team, I just did.

PLEASE lets not completely flame them, sound professional and be clear and concice. But do let them know that NO ONE will be buying Activision products from this fiasco...
  • AldousAldous Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    sweett310;190324 said:
    I'm not talking of any one in particular. But when GH and GHII exploded on the scene a few years back, there were plenty of non Red-Octane guitars on the market. I don't know if there are any out there right now, but give it time, once the holiday season comes to a close I'm sure there will be some.

And yes, I know, that doesn't help anyone now. Believe me, as I am one who is waiting on my replacement guitar to arrive like many of you are, I am sorely missing playing guitar on RB.
    Look at the cover of the PS3 game it says compatible with "most music game controllers" It did not say future music game controllers.
  • dlk10000dlk10000 Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Just sent them my displeasure as well. I have a copy of GHIII sitting here unopened that will be going back to the store tomorrow. Everyone here is right though, we need to let Activision know this is ridiculous.
  • TuRDMaNTuRDMaN Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Finally HMX let us know what is really going on. THANK YOU! Now we can direct all our hate towards the appropriate people :D
  • zippocagezippocage Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    I just send Activision an email asking them to please approve the patch using their contact us form on the web page.

If you own Rockband PS3, please do the same!
  • edited December 2007
    I have voiced my displeasure to Activision via email. I would encourage every member of these forums to do the same, PS3 or not, this is a fundamental matter of putting spite for another dev/publisher in front of servicing customers.

BOYCOTT is the only language these people understand. Vote with your wallets, folks!
  • edited December 2007
    More direct way to get to their "Contact Us" buried in their Flash pages?

http://www.activision.com/index.html?module=contact
  • derrikirredderrikirred Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Already sent an email. This is ridiculous.
  • ktm450excktm450exc Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    So I guess writing a patch to use the PS3 controller, or a PS3 arcade controller, and including a "button mapping" feature isn't feasible?

Don't call it a "guitar compatibility" patch, call it a "SIXAXIS controller with button mapping" patch. Then have an EULA that says "You are prohibited from using an Activision GH3 controller with this game." It wouldn't be your fault someone plugs in a GH3 controller, fingers some buttons, flip-flops a strummer, and whammies a whammy bar.
  • QuyreanQuyrean Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    I think it is Sony that needs to step up and declare that all third party controlers should be compatable. I think that is why 360 works.

If Sony learns that people will be buying xbox instead of playstation because of compatability reasons, perhaps they will fix this problem.

If I wanted incompatible stuff, I would by a PC. This is totally irresponsible of SONY to allow this stuff to go on on their console. All regular controlers are compatible, why not guitars?
  • ZelandiaZelandia Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    I'll be voicing my displeasure very very soon. I just don't understand why they are trying to stop the patch from being released. The 360 controller works... why not let the PS3?
  • edited December 2007
    I have just submitted this to Eurogamer as news. I urge as many of you to bombard games sites with this, get them to run a story and rightfully shame Activision.
    edited December 2007
    Aldous;190331 said:
    Look at the cover of the PS3 game it says compatible with "most music game controllers" It did not say future music game controllers.
    Touchet. I got nothing then.
  • bramblerbrambler Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Only reason I bought their game was to get another guitar for Rock Band. I hope they realize they are losing sales by doing this BS!

I don't see how it would be illegal for this patch to be released. Sony should tell Activision to eat a fat one and just release the damn thing!

Is Activision just jealous that Harmonix made a better game or what?
  • SuburbanHellSuburbanHell Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    carlnorum;190226 said:
    How do I contact Activision to express my displeasure?
    Likewise. I'll be boycotting Activision for this nonsense.
This discussion has been closed.