PS3 Guitar Compatibility - UPDATE 12/12/2007

Comments

• unwinunwin Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    and the truth comes out.

question is ... what to do?
  • xlr8shun xlr8shun Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    there was another post on this forum a few days ago, it listed a website that has listings of 'high up' people at major corporations.

http://community.rockband.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=13322

that post lists www.planetfeedback.com and to send your letter through them, who can in turn help make sure it get into the right person.

maybe it could be an alternative way (or aditional way) to contact activision with your complaint.

i, myself, will send a letter by both means shortly.

basically you just fill out a couple of questions to give them an idea of where exactly this response should go, whether it be a compliment, complaint, suggestion or something else. then a place to voice your concern, submit it and they review it and submit it for you.

its free, and easy, maybe its worth a shot? but please people, keep it respectable. there are ways to get your point across without insults and curse words. the more respectful your language is, the better the chance it actually passes planetfeedback's review process.

>edit: grammar
  • dfjdejuliodfjdejulio Rising Star
    edited December 2007
    MistressMissy;190558 said:
    I'm a little bit surprised that IGN hasn't broken the story yet.

Theory: the rapidity with which a site posts this story will be inversely proportional to the percentage of their advertising revenue that is due to Activision. The next couple of days could get pretty ugly in the world of gaming journalism.
  • BornToBeWildBornToBeWild Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    I've sent my emails as well.

But what about a patch for the guitar hero I & II guitars ??????

Are they not Harmonix products ??
  • KeeblerKeebler Road Warrior
    edited December 2007
    START THE BOYCOTT OF GUITAR HERO 3 NOW!

Seriously. Are these chimps at Activision full-fledged r3tards? If they allowed cross-compatibility, they would sell more hardware. Apparently, they have their heads too far up their asses to realize this would help their bottom line.

And also, why should Activision get to dictate whether this patch comes out or not? Last I checked, they don't have any say - Sony does. Way to take it in the rear, Sony.
  • RidiculustRidiculust Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    My email.... Let me know what you think.

Hello,

My name is William Stephens. And I purchased Guitar Hero 3 the day it was released. While it is not a bad game, I have to sell it, and both controllers I purchased for it. This is one less game and two less controllers that you will sell. One of the main reasons that I purchased this game was so that I could play BOTH rockband and guitar hero. This gets to my reason for this email. The announcement that you have blocked the patch allowing your guitar to function in rockband has me more than a little upset. This also upsets several friends of mine that were going to purchase your game so they could play BOTH games. I do not understand why you would not allow this, as it would only help the sales of your guitar and possibly game. I am a fan of the music genre, and I feel that I have been cheated by your unfair business decision. I have purchased all available downloadable content for GH3, but sadly, this will be no more. I realize that it probably will not hurt your company, but I must speak with my wallet. On that note, I will not be purcasing anymore games from this company, as I can only see them as makers of both foolish business choices, and ill advised polices. I will be contacting you regularly to voice my displeasure with the childish stance you have taken with this issue. I will also encourage anyone with even a mild interest in videogames about the behavior of your company. I would appreciate a response, however, if you are going to send me a nonpersonal, canned pr message, don't bother. I hate to take my dollars elsewhere, but that is exactly what your company has forced me to do.
    Regards,
    William Stephens

edit: I sent it to corporate communication
  • mrdonutmrdonut Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    unfreaking-believable. I can't believe they would sink this low. I am so happy I didn't open my copy of Guitar Hero 3. I'm going to send it directly back to Red Octane. They don't deserve my money.
  • RidiculustRidiculust Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    By the way.

Harmonix, I was wrong to boycott your dlc, thinking that you wouldn't do everything possible to rectify the situation. I have been with your company from the beginning (frequency), and now I am reminded why. Thank you for doing your part. Hopefully we can do ours now.
  • ChampDoglasChampDoglas Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    While you guys are at it, you should tell them to patch GH3 so we can us the Strat on it!!! UNIVERSAL GUITAR COMPATIBILITY FOR ALL!!!!
  • WarMajikWarMajik Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    saunderse4;190578 said:
    I have sent an email also to Activision but I also think we should express our disappointment to Sony as well. Maybe if we complain to Sony it will help try to get a resolution to this issue. I know Sony is not to blame here but they sure could help things.
    - Agreed.. why isnt Sony insisting, no wait, DEMANDING that Activision make the guitars compatible. If suXBOX users can choose their guitars why cant PS3 owners !? Once again Ps3 owners are not being considered.
  • KellbobKellbob Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Here is my letter- Let's keep it intelligent folks (like hmxsean said). I'm all for a GH 1 or 2 patch.. my SG is just collecting dust. I just really don't get why they don't want to sell more copies of their game while keeping their customers happy... Go ahead piss off your customers and sell less product.... Glad I don't own stock in their company!!

>>
    I like many other customers am a fan of the Guitar Hero Franchicse as well as Rock Band. When I heard both were being released and that the Guitar Hero III Controller could be used in Rock Band on the PS3, I pre-ordered it because it seemed perfect to get a game and guitar that could be used for both games. This turned out not to be the case.

Now I sit, having not touched my Guitar Hero game since Rock Band was released and with the announcement today on Harmonix's website stating that the patch that has been ready to allow the guitars to work with Rock Band has been ready since December 4th, and that Activision is blocking it's release is infuriating to no end to me.

I am writing to inform you that at this time I am officially boycotting all Activision and related company products. I spend quite a bit on videogames and will refuse to spend any more if Activision has anything to do with the game.

This is just simply bad business practice on your parts. Tens of thousands of people I'm sure spent $100 on Guitar Hero 3 just like I did mainly to get a guitar for Rock Band and now as a Corporation you are sticking it to those customers that gave you such record numbers after the release of Guitar Hero 3. I would like to see the PS3 release numbers if the information that the guitar wouldn't work on the PS3 was out before everyone got Rock Band. I know I wouldn't have purchased Guitar Hero.

I'm sure you're receiving many of these emails and you rightfully should. Hopefully you'll decide to do right by your customers and those that spent their hard earned money on Guitar Hero 3 and allow a patch to come through.

You have nothing to lose by doing so and everything to gain... The patch is irrelevant unless you already have purchased Guitar Hero 3 so if it's released I see more copies of Guitar Hero 3 being sold as opposed to people just saving up for Rock Band.

Thank you for your time, I appreciate your response to this matter in simply letting the patch go through and all will be happy and I will no longer boycott your products.

Sincerely,
  • chance2002iuchance2002iu Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    I was going to post this on digg to help get exposure but some people already did that. Here's the digg link that goes to HMX's announcement (this thread).

http://digg.com/playstation/Activision_blocks_release_of_Rock_Band_compatibility_patch

digg it to help get the word out.
  • jeff1920jeff1920 Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    Now this is bad business ethics and they are responsible this has to create a ton of back lash and them to lose alot of money to realize that this makes people mad.

I sold all my activision games eccept cod 4.
  • AldousAldous Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Harmonix (HmxSean especially) I also want to apologize for ranting about you in some of the forums. I also believed that you were not doing everything in your power to get the les paul issue resolved. I now know this is not the case, thank you for posting this information and your willingness to set the record straight.
    But please for gods sake take "compatible with most music controllers" off the cover of the PS3.
  • baduelabaduela Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Somebody needs to digg this thread!!
  • LaredenLareden Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    WarMajik;190621 said:
    - Agreed.. why isnt Sony insisting, no wait, DEMANDING that Activision make the guitars compatible. If suXBOX users can choose their guitars why cant PS3 owners !? Once again Ps3 owners are not being considered.
    Because unlike neo-nazi-Microsoft, Sony lets developers do whatever the hell they want. I like freedom 'cause it sorts out the pricks (Activision) from the good decent human beings (Harmonix).
  • jeff1920jeff1920 Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    jeff1920;190642 said:
    Now this is bad business ethics and they are responsible this has to create a ton of back lash and them to lose alot of money to realize that this makes people mad.

I sold all my activision games eccept cod 4.
    Oops btw who is taking business in high school and thinks this is very bad business ethics.
  • QuastorQuastor Rising Star
    edited December 2007
    As much as want to encourage people to email Activision and call tech support, as Sean said, these really aren't the decision makers. They can't do anything about it but send it up to their manager, who might pass it along to their manager, repeated about 6-7 maybe 10 times.

Want to really get to the right people? Target their Board of Directors and shareholders. These are the people that can influence Activision to change, as they've already shown they could give two ****s about their consumers.

What I would love to see is a Harmonix-backed fund to raise money to take out a full page ad in the New York Times and Wall Street Journal with an open letter to Activision's Board of Directors explaining the situation and asking for a reversal of this decision. I know, I know, no one wants to drop even more money in this mess, but I certainly think it would be a most effective way of getting the point across. And I say Harmonix backed, as I'm not so sure many people would trust a random Joe to collect the money and follow through with the ad (Just to give you an idea, a full page black and white ad in the NYT runs about $165k).

Just a thought, but I certainly see this as being a large statement to Activision.
  • derrikirredderrikirred Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    baduela;190640 said:
    Somebody needs to digg this thread!!
    It has already been mentioned 3 times.

DIGG IT
  • AldousAldous Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    I can't believe activision, such rOCKBLOCKERS
  • onemadbeastieonemadbeastie Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Quastor;190654 said:
    As much as want to encourage people to email Activision and call tech support, as Sean said, these really aren't the decision makers. They can't do anything about it but send it up to their manager, who might pass it along to their manager, repeated about 6-7 maybe 10 times.

Want to really get to the right people? Target their Board of Directors and shareholders. These are the people that can influence Activision to change, as they've already shown they could give two ****s about their consumers.

What I would love to see is a Harmonix-backed fund to raise money to take out a full page ad in the New York Times and Wall Street Journal with an open letter to Activision's Board of Directors explaining the situation and asking for a reversal of this decision. I know, I know, no one wants to drop even more money in this mess, but I certainly think it would be a most effective way of getting the point across. And I say Harmonix backed, as I'm not so sure many people would trust a random Joe to collect the money and follow through with the ad (Just to give you an idea, a full page black and white ad in the NYT runs about $165k).

Just a thought, but I certainly see this as being a large statement to Activision.
    I've updated my post on page 2 of this thread with some contacts who may have a say in the matter. We can at least try to get in contact with them.

http://community.rockband.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=15440&page=2

lol @ rOCKBLOCKERS - indeed they are
  • hellshound38hellshound38 Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    while i would like to fully beleive activision is behind this

i just dont know if we should

i mean first off, if you guys are saying you promote open standards to strongly, why dosnt my strat work with guitar hero 1?
    wasnt that the first "standard?"

so basicly you just made up a new standard and complain.
    make a patch that makes guitar hero 1 and 2 work with your guitar
    and maybe then i will beleive you
  • LaredenLareden Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    hellshound38;190687 said:

i mean first off, if you guys are saying you promote open standards to strongly, why dosnt my strat work with guitar hero 1?

The GH1&2 controllers are detected as standard controllers. It seems like they could patch it to allow a basic controller to be used as an instrument but it would destroy the current intelligence the game has by knowing you are using an instument-controller of a certain type and not just a gamepad.
  • XquietusXXquietusX Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    just sent my complaint to activision also, if u have not, please go to their website and state how obviously stupid this move is on their part
  • WozamilWozamil Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    Can someone please post their Email. I'm at work currently and their internet prevents me from accessing their site.
  • KellbobKellbob Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Lareden;190646 said:
    Because unlike neo-nazi-Microsoft, Sony lets developers do whatever the hell they want. I like freedom 'cause it sorts out the pricks (Activision) from the good decent human beings (Harmonix).
    Ditto!

I don't even want to use my Les Paul now. Harmonix- the ball is in your court! Get the stand-alone Strats out sooner and I'll buy the first one I get my hands on.... Oh..make a bass snap-on head for them! Sticker that says "F@#$ Activision" optional :) ...but I'd want one!
  • edited December 2007
    hellshound38;190687 said:

How would that work? The GH I & II on PS2? Rock Band for PS2 isn't even out yet. I am confused what your issue is regarding this.
  • Eman311Eman311 Road Warrior
    edited December 2007
    hmxsean;190723 said:
    How would that work? The GH I & II on PS2? Rock Band for PS2 isn't even out yet. I am confused what your issue is regarding this.
    Seriously. Make GH1 and 2 controllers from the PS2 work for another system?

that doesn't make much sense.
  • hellshound38hellshound38 Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    well anyway works for me
    either using the guitar hero 1 + 2 controllers on the ps3 for rockband, using any of the existing ps3-ps2 controller adapters, (seems if i can play guitar hero 1 on my ps3 using the adapter why cant i play rockband?)

OR, a patch so you can play guitar hero 1 and 2, on your ps3, using the strat (i know this is more complicated cause its emulation/ps2 hardware... but im sure its possible

edit. i was just pointing out... with the adapter i can play guitar hero 1 on my ps3.... with my guitar hero 1 guitar..
    so if your using "a standard" why wouldnt the strat work for it also?.... or my guitar hero 1 guitar?

just pointing out your not using any such standard
  • cg5686cg5686 Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Here's the letter I sent:

Dear Activision,

It has recently been made known that you have made legal manuevers to block the release of a Rock Band patch which would enable the use of your Guitar in that game. This is a terrible decision, and a huge slap to the face to owners of the Playstation 3 Entertainment System. You have - in the eyes of a large portion of the music video game genre - tarnished your image when you could have otherwise not only boosted it but used it to your financial advantage. Please know that, from this point forward, I will be boycotting your products, but specifically Guitar Hero downloadable content and any future iterations of the Guitar Hero franchise, at least until this situation is rectified.

Sincerely,

I couldn't resist but I also added a "please go f#$% yourselves" bit at the end too. Sorry - I could only be so professional about this. Keep on Digging this by the way.

Also, to Harmonix - thank you, guys. A lot of us figured that, after the initial fiasco, you guys would do everything you could to fix it. It turns out we were right. I'm so glad that you were able to release the news and set things straight - I had a gut feeling you weren't able to for legal reasons. Anyway, totally behind you guys on this one. Keep on rocking.
This discussion has been closed.