PS3 Guitar Compatibility - UPDATE 12/12/2007

Comments

• No_SkillNo_Skill Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    Lareden;190802 said:
    I don't know what brand my adapter is, but it works with GH2 guitars... in fact it has a little switch on it specifically for GH2, appropriately labeled GH2. Maybe you didn't notice the switch?
    Yes, you have the Pelican.

It does not work with hammer ons and pull offs on GH2. Also, when you hold down a fret it does not light up on the screen.
  • BobsRevengeBobsRevenge Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Lareden;190819 said:
    Speaking of which... Hey HMXSean, why didn't you guys use Bluetooth for the guitar instead of that darn dongle? Bluetooth is a standard... and the preferred controller connection method for both PS3 and Wii. Was it because of the imminent PS2 version?
    It was because they couldn't get the connection to be stable enough so they had to use the dongle as an alternative.
  • dfjdejuliodfjdejulio Rising Star
    edited December 2007
    lhv32;190796 said:
    2) I'm not saying that anybody at Harmonix should do this, but if it just so happened that somebody in the office managed to alter the update script a bit, sneak it out of the office, and make it available via torrent or something, who knows?
    And it's good that you're not saying they should do that. I'll go so far as to say they should not do that.

Here's what they should do.

Make a patch for RB for the PS3 that lets you use a generic controller to play. Don't even specify exactly how. Make it so that the player can configure which controller inputs map to which guitar features.

Then, if players happen to plug in a Les Paul, and it's recognized as a generic non-guitar controller, and players happen to configure it so the red fret on the Les Paul matches what the game expects a red fret to be, well...

I mean, seriously, there's a lot of heat directed towards Activision right now, but deserved or not we know that some is going to spill back onto Harmonix. I can see a few ways out for 'em. One is some kind of generic controller patch. Another is the whole "money where your mouth is" thing, and helping facilitate Nyko or someone like that getting a 3rd party controller rushed to market very quickly.

Let me add that if there was a trade-in program, where I could send in my Les Paul for credit towards a Strat, I'd participate.
  • LaredenLareden Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    BobsRevenge;190825 said:
    It was because they couldn't get the connection to be stable enough so they had to use the dongle as an alternative.
    Odd. Maybe they should've asked for help on that one. I mean the Bluetooth controllers work great... so it's possible. But maybe in in interest of deadlines they had to ditch it.
    edited December 2007
    No_Skill;190828 said:
    Yes, you have the Pelican.

It does not work with hammer ons and pull offs on GH2. Also, when you hold down a fret it does not light up on the screen.
    Ah OK, I didn't really notice that, not being a seasoned GH player. I always strum HO/PO's cause I never really noticed the difference on GH.
    edited December 2007
    Lareden;190851 said:
    Ah OK, I didn't really notice that, not being a seasoned GH player. I always strum HO/PO's cause I never really noticed the difference on GH.
    Yep that's what I figured...back to the lynching.
  • Super_ChickenSuper_Chicken Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    dfjdejulio;190837 said:
    Then, if players happen to plug in a Les Paul, and it's recognized as a generic non-guitar controller, and players happen to configure it so the red fret on the Les Paul matches what the game expects a red fret to be, well...

Let me add that if there was a trade-in program, where I could send in my Les Paul for credit towards a Strat, I'd participate.
    That's a decent idea, allow 6-axis support.

They should have a deal, trade in a LP guitar and receive half price of a strato + $30 DLC I'd do it.
    edited December 2007
    I was planning on buying GH3 when I first heard of the patch. Of course I'm not now. But I'm kinda glad because I like the Strat much better.

The only problem is that now I'm tempted to keep my broken one and fix it, because (as far as I know) there's no official word on when supported controllers will be sold. Without knowing how long I'd have to wait for a compatible guitar, it's hard to say whether the $125 they'll charge me will be worth it...

Either way, I've got to make a decision soon because I've had the replacement for a week and a half.
    edited December 2007
    Super_Chicken;190871 said:
    That's a decent idea, allow 6-axis support.

They should have a deal, trade in a LP guitar and receive half price of a strato + $30 DLC I'd do it.
    Then they could have a public burning of the Les Paul's! A huge bonfire effigy representing Activision! Take that enviro.... er, maybe they could have a public recycling!
  • lhv32lhv32 Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Heres my email to Activision:

Subject: Activision blocking the ps3 Rock Band compatibility patch

I will make this email short and to the point, as I am sure that you have already received at the least hundreds of similar emails and phone calls on this subject.

As your company knows, Harmonix/MTV Games/EA submitted a patch to Sony two weeks ago which would allow your Guitar Hero 3 controller to work with their game, both of which are available for the Playstation 3. Activision has protested and subsequently blocked said patch, and as a result ps3 owners cannot use a ps3 controller to play ps3 game. Does this seem odd to you?

I am one of the many people who have been forced into a situation where I now have a les paul that does not work with Rock Band, and I would like to inform you that like many, MANY Guitar Hero 3 owners, we bought the game so that we would have an extra guitar for Rock Band. I do not understand why your company is blocking this patch because this is quickly becoming a PR nightmare, and from the start you were still making sales off of this interaction.

For the record, I will not be purchasing another Activision game until this patch is made available (and as I understand it many other CUSTOMERS are going to do the same). Even being a hardcore gamer, this will not equal too much over the next five to ten years, but consider the multiplier as hundreds to thousands of consumers are now actively boycotting your company due to your petty rivalry Harmonix and EA.

I strongly urge you to reconsider your objection to this patch, as it can and WILL result in noticible losses in revenue. I hope that your actions can be reversed, as I would hate to see this possibly reach the point where a class action lawsuit is brought against your company, it's subsidiaries, and possibly Sony as well.

Thank you for your time; I hope that this issue can be resolved quickly.

Sincerely,
    A Former Customer
  • LuvenoLuveno Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    But I still can't help but feel that hardball is being played on both sides.

The one thing that has been really suspicious about this from day 1 is that you can't use the Sixaxis to play the game. That strongly indicates that it is Harmonix doing something odd with the input and not Neversoft. Despite Harmonix's claim of the "open standard", it means nothing if they are the one's who invented it and are the only ones who are using it. From what I can see, the Les Paul looks like a standard USB controller to the PS3, whereas the Strat is clearly doing something else.

That said, Activision is clearly acting against consumers with this move, if the situation is as described in the OP.

Regardless, I'm upset with both companies right now, as there is fault on both ends. This should be something that is resolvable. Instead, we have theatrics resembling those of kindergarteners.
  • HPLabonteHPLabonte Road Warrior
    edited December 2007
    in sympathy, I will write an e-mail and boycott activision games for you guys, this is really, really ****ty customer relations.
  • BobsRevengeBobsRevenge Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    HPLabonte;190906 said:
    in sympathy, I will write an e-mail and boycott activision games for you guys, this is really, really ****ty customer relations.
    Thanks man. Any help from 360 users is awesome.
  • EtherDragonEtherDragon Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    My letter to activision:

"Dear Activision Customer Support,

I’m sending you this letter in the hope that you can forward it to the appropriate parties. Recently I purchased Guitar Hero III (GH3) for the PS3 and was excited about the music line-up and new guitar controller. My intention was to purchase various accessories and a second GH3 controller, as time and money allowed.

I had hoped that I could use the GH3 controller with the upcoming title, Rock Band (RB) by Harmonix. I have just been informed in a statement by Harmonix that Atari is blocking the release of a patch to their software to allow your controller to be compatible. (http://community.rockband.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=15440)

I would like an explanation, as a purchaser of your products, why you have chosen to block a patch for a game written by another company. Until I can obtain the RB patch, I will not be purchasing any Activision accessories since it does not make fiscal sense for me to purchase two versions of the same kind of item for two different games.

I can’t imagine how the decision to block the patch can possibly positively impact your company’s customer perception or sales. And I’m writing you for an explanation so I can make informed purchase decisions for my household. Not only do I purchase titles for myself, but I purchase titles for my son who lives out of state. But your decision to block the RB patch forces me to choose between two products on his behalf and I can’t, in good faith, buy something for him that won’t be useable for future games.

Please reconsider your decision,
    Sincerely,
    ***NAME REMOVED FOR PRIVACY REASONS***
    Atari Customer for 25 years"
  • ParodygmParodygm Road Warrior
    edited December 2007
    Luveno;190902 said:
    The one thing that has been really suspicious about this from day 1 is that you can't use the Sixaxis to play the game. That strongly indicates that it is Harmonix doing something odd with the input and not Neversoft.
    My Sixaxis seems to work just fine controlling the menus when doing vocals. Maybe it's a design decision they made?
    edited December 2007
    Luveno;190902 said:
    But I still can't help but feel that hardball is being played on both sides.

The one thing that has been really suspicious about this from day 1 is that you can't use the Sixaxis to play the game. That strongly indicates that it is Harmonix doing something odd with the input and not Neversoft. Despite Harmonix's claim of the "open standard", it means nothing if they are the one's who invented it and are the only ones who are using it. From what I can see, the Les Paul looks like a standard USB controller to the PS3, whereas the Strat is clearly doing something else.
    Since it's a USB device, it's likely they are simply using an additional device descriptor which would be ignored by everything else, but when specifically looked for by their code it tells them "hey, I'm a strat!" That's not a question of breaking standards, nor should it prevent any other game from using it.
  • SkullWolfSkullWolf Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    My letter:

I am a long time gamer and fan of content from Activision. Since the original PitFall for the Atari 2600, I've been buying Activision products and have been generally satisfied with their quality. My most recent purchase from your company 's lineup was Call of Duty 4 - a series in which I own every iteration.

Another recent Activision purchase for me was Guitar Hero 3. A big fan of the Guitar Hero games, I looked forward to this title despite a new developer taking the helm, as my confidence in Activision's commitment to gamer satisfaction was very high. My loyalty to original Guitar Hero developer Harmonix is also strong, and in November I purchased rhythm game Rock Band to compliment my Guitar Hero purchase.

Despite advertised claims of "compatability with most guitar controllers", the Guitar Hero 3 controller did not work with Rock Band for PlayStation 3 at release, an issue that is understandable and in no way Activision's fault. Harmonix admitted the problem was on their end, and a patch was soon released to Sony for distribution to Rock Band players to remedy the situation.

Us faithful Activision customers waited patiently for this patch - a patch which creates the impression of added value to the Guitar Hero 3 bundle, as it would become the only means of buying another controller for Rock Band - but it was never released.

Instead, a statement from Harmonix detailed Activision's active blocking of the patch's release.

Within hours, gaming blogs and the Rock Band community page were set ablaze with comments from angry posters, frustrated with Activision's seeming disregard for customer satisfaction (it is, after all, only those who purchased an Activsion product that are hurt by the blocking of the patch).

The decision to block this patch has tarnished my opinion of Activision Inc. and seriously lowered my chances of buying another product from you in the near future. Such anti-consumer decisions only show a disinterest in customer satisfaction and perhaps indicate a new modus operandi for Activision.

Please, prove me wrong by dropping opposition to Sony's release of the patch and show your customers the respect they deserve for trusting you.

You may view Harmonix's statement here:
    http://community.rockband.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=15440

(Please take note of the reactions of Activision customers such as myself posting in response to this message, you will find their opinions are very similar).

Thank you for your consideration of this issue and I hope that a compromise is reached.

Sincerely,
    ******@***.edu
  • pntbllrspdrpntbllrspdr Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    I'm already never buying another GH again, unless they change their minds
  • AdamBomb629AdamBomb629 Road Warrior
    edited December 2007
    EtherDragon;190917 said:
    My letter to activision:

"Dear Activision Customer Support,

I’m sending you this letter in the hope that you can forward it to the appropriate parties. Recently I purchased Guitar Hero III (GH3) for the PS3 and was excited about the music line-up and new guitar controller. My intention was to purchase various accessories and a second GH3 controller, as time and money allowed.

I had hoped that I could use the GH3 controller with the upcoming title, Rock Band (RB) by Harmonix. I have just been informed in a statement by Harmonix that Atari is blocking the release of a patch to their software to allow your controller to be compatible. (http://community.rockband.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=15440)

I would like an explanation, as a purchaser of your products, why you have chosen to block a patch for a game written by another company. Until I can obtain the RB patch, I will not be purchasing any Activision accessories since it does not make fiscal sense for me to purchase two versions of the same kind of item for two different games.

I can’t imagine how the decision to block the patch can possibly positively impact your company’s customer perception or sales. And I’m writing you for an explanation so I can make informed purchase decisions for my household. Not only do I purchase titles for myself, but I purchase titles for my son who lives out of state. But your decision to block the RB patch forces me to choose between two products on his behalf and I can’t, in good faith, buy something for him that won’t be useable for future games.

Please reconsider your decision,
    Sincerely,
    ***NAME REMOVED FOR PRIVACY REASONS***
    Atari Customer for 25 years"
    Don't you mean Activision instead of Atari?
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited December 2007
    Luveno;190902 said:
    Rock Band recognizes the Strat and the Sixaxis differently because the vocalist uses the Sixaxis to navigate the menus. When you go to Solo Tour on the guitar, you are given the guitar career. The same holds for drums -> drum career and Sixaxis -> vocal career. It is purely a game design decision.
    edited December 2007
    Luveno;190902 said:
    The one thing that has been really suspicious about this from day 1 is that you can't use the Sixaxis to play the game. That strongly indicates that it is Harmonix doing something odd with the input and not Neversoft.
    I don't agree.

On the XBox 360, the GH2 guitar works, the GH3 wireless Les Paul works... and standard XBox game controllers cannot be used to play the guitar and drum portions of the game.

And they're all the same kind of controller. The Les Paul and the XBox wireless game pad connect to the console precisely the same way (MSFT's wireless networking implementation). The GH2 guitars and the XBox wired game controller connect to the consoel precisely the same way (USB).

They just didn't want people doing the guitar part without some guitar, or the drum part without some drum.

I personally think they ought to reverse that decision for the PS3, since there are a lot of people who have fewer working guitars than they expected to...

So, anyhow, you might be correct, but based on how things work on the XBox 360, I do not think that you are.
    edited December 2007
  • Fuze54Fuze54 Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Total BS, I was gonna get GH3 till this news came through. Lost another sale.
  • Angel-JinAngel-Jin Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    what does activision care what we have to say? i say again fellow gamers, THEY ARE WORTH MORE THAN EA!!!!!

they're all going for swims in their Scrooge McDuck money pools and wiping there arses with $20 or $50 bills. why should they let this patch through? if anything, they probably think they're doing EA/HMX a favor and forcing us to buy another controller per each game, thus allowing their revenue to skyrocket even further beyound quarterly expectations.

i've seen a lot of skeezy deals go down in this "console war." from game delays which still result in broken games that get patched WAY down the road, HORRIBLY DEVELOPED GAMES (sup EA Sports?) and even controller incompatibility, but this is by far, the biggest slap in the face for me as a consumer.

screw all these game developers on my side of the pond, i'm going back to play BEMANI games. At least those never let me down...no offense HMX, you're about the only company worth its salt these days.
  • UlverUlver Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    I also wrote Activision an email. I am truly dissapointed in this. I have both 360 and PS3, and I decided to get the PS3 version. I jumped the gun a little too soon and got the PS3 GH3 once I heard of a patch coming out. Now, it looks like there is little hope. Therefore, I'm getting rid of GH3 and Rock Band..and converting to the 360. I will be placing my amazon.com Rock Band order soon. I'm just so sick of PS3 users getting the shaft. This has been said a million times over, but it makes no sense how the 360 GH3 guitar can work but not PS3. I hate you activision.
  • HanoverHanover Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    Dear Activision,

Imagine a world where every game company came out with their own game pad that was only compatible with their games. Sounds preposterous doesnt it? Then why are you setting the precedent?

Sincerely,
  • AldousAldous Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    I just received an email back from activision here is what they said

Response (Dov Carson) - 12/12/2007 05:12 PM
    Hello, thank you for contacting Activision Customer support. We do not have any information in regards to this matter here at Activision Customer Support. We can only comment on our own product and as far as title updates for our games are concerned, we cannot comment on any unreleased patches or updates nor do we have this information. Keep checking our website and various game message boards for information on any game patches or updates.

We definitely do not have any authorization or information in regards to other company's patches or updates. You would have to check with the company in question in regards to any issues with their updates or patches available on the Sony network. We cannot "BLOCK" anything on the SONY network as we do not have this authority or power to do so.
  • GamerSWGamerSW Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    What if it's just some dirty dealing assholes at Microsoft paying Activision under the table to fight against PS3 compatibility, just to keep the 360 in a better light? What if they've been doing that for all these games that aren't on the PS3 but are on the 360? And maybe that's the reason why the PS3 version is the crappiest version of the Half-Life 2 Orange Box, even though it took the longest to come out? Microsoft tried to monopolize the computer industry, and now they're doing it again with the video-game industry.

Goddamn you Microsoft and Activision. You guys used to be cool, what happened to that?
  • krawhithamkrawhitham Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    ManOwaR;190378 said:
    Ok, so Activision is the enemy now. It's good to at least know who's what. Thank you for this update.

I'll reread for places that I can call and email and send complaint letters to, to activision.

regards.
    Does the RB guitar work with GH?

They claim want an open format but release a guitar they know would not work with the other guitar game on the market?

Sound more like they want to use others hardware but not allow their own hardware to work on other's games
    edited December 2007
    Aldous;190989 said:
    We definitely do not have any authorization or information in regards to other company's patches or updates. You would have to check with the company in question in regards to any issues with their updates or patches available on the Sony network. We cannot "BLOCK" anything on the SONY network as we do not have this authority or power to do so.
    Well! If this becomes Activision's official public stance, then the ball is in Sony's court.
This discussion has been closed.