PS3 Guitar Compatibility - UPDATE 12/12/2007

Comments

• gamingeekgamingeek Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    So what the hell are PS3 owners who bought a standalone copy of the game supposed to do now? You have sold us an unplayable game. I really do not care what Activision is doing to block the patch. I want to know what your company is going to do for those of us who have been unable to play the game you sold us!
  • bmslynchbmslynch Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Can someone please explain to me why Activision can pick a random company and decide to make decisions on how they make or do not make updates to their games? Does Harmonix need to run all decisions through them in the future if they decide to add or delete other features in their own game? This makes no sense to me at all.
  • oddrootoddroot Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    My letter:

You guys are in the wrong blocking this patch. While you watch the numbers you had in GH3 slip and the online community disappear onto to RB, you should know that even RB will run it's course. And at the end, DLC, will be a continuing revenue stream for you.

By not being cooperative in making your guitar operative in RB (and honestly from a user perspective, allowing for the RB guitar to work on GH3), you are removing all of my want/need/desire to ever play your game again. I will take my DLC dollars elsewhere.

Glad to hear Activision does not want my money, you've taken the last 100$ you will see from me,

"Long term, you can't go against what the consumer wants," said Huang.

Thanks and a Merry Christmas to you too,

odd

edit: Huang == Red Octane co-founder and VP Charles Huang
  • blazinutblazinut Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    I emailed them also....this is such a shame....
  • fury66fury66 Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    hey guys i just sent an email to activision and i will be doing so all day for many days to come. others on this thread have done the same, i suggest we all do until activision responds.
  • LaredenLareden Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    gamingeek;190404 said:
    So what the hell are PS3 owners who bought a standalone copy of the game supposed to do now? You have sold us an unplayable game. I really do not care what Activision is doing to block the patch. I want to know what your company is going to do for those of us who have been unable to play the game you sold us!
    I guess you don't realize there is a singing portion of the game?
  • Maggot_BrainMaggot_Brain Road Warrior
    edited December 2007
    Wow, Activision sure is a bunch of rhymes-with-grass holes.

And I don't even own a PS3.
  • AldousAldous Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    bmslynch;190411 said:
    Can someone please explain to me why Activision can pick a random company and decide to make decisions on how they make or do not make updates to their games? Does Harmonix need to run all decisions through them in the future if they decide to add or delete other features in their own game? This makes no sense to me at all.
    There is probably something special about the guitar, in activisions horrible eula it says that the les paul is forbidden to be used with other games.
    It's a very petty move on the part of activision. Reminds of playing basketball as a kid. When the kid who brought the ball to the playground gets upset because he is losing, and decides to leave taking his ball.
    I hope Activision stops acting like spoiled brats who don't want to share their toys.
  • TitannicaTitannica Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Gatorguy91;190397 said:
    (1-310-255-2050)

Haha... YES!! LIVE ACTIVISION SUPPORT!!!
    Has anyone gotten through to a rep yet? I am currently on hold.
  • ParahParah Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    I could use every single expletive in the english language all at once right now.
    *sigh*
    GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Activision, SCREW YOU! I too will now boycott all of your products, and encourage all of my friends to do the same - UNTIL you allow this patch to go through.

And Sony, stop being a big wuss. Stand up and fight the Man - You're bigger than He is, anyway. Do what's right instead of worrying about losing business. Sometimes it just has to be done.
  • eVan_DieseleVan_Diesel Rising Star
    edited December 2007
    I shot off an e-mail. Who knows if it'll do any good....
  • bmslynchbmslynch Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Why is it that when it came out for Xbox 360 Activision gave it the "oh well" treatment, but for ps3 owners they get their legal team involved? I rarely play any games at all, but the one game I did enjoy at friends' homes over the past couple years was Guitar Hero. I really got worked over in this mess, because I did not even own a game system before these two games came out. I read the articles how you could use Guitar Hero 3's controller in Rock Band, so I thought "not a bad deal, you get two games and one of them is four player." The only reason I chose to even buy a system at all was for these two games, and I chose ps3 over 360 simply because of the wireless controller. If only I knew all of this before hand, I either would've purchased a 360 or stayed out of this mess all together. Now I am stuck, mad at Activision for blocking a measly patch, mad at Sony for rolling over and not just realeasing it, and mad at Harmonix for not just getting it right the first time like they did for all of the 360 owners.
  • DeusTrinitasDeusTrinitas Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    Something tells me that Activision's website is going to get hacked over this...
  • camleckcamleck Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Let's sue them. Class action style.:D
  • AldousAldous Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    DeusTrinitas;190463 said:
    Something tells me that Activision's website is going to get hacked over this...
    That would be awesome
  • LaredenLareden Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    Parah;190451 said:
    Sony, stop being a big wuss. Stand up and fight the Man - You're bigger than He is, anyway. Do what's right instead of worrying about losing business. Sometimes it just has to be done.
    Suggesting that someone who breaks the law is manly, is just stupid. And Sony is not bigger than Activision in the gaming market. Activision is huuuuge, they own just about everything.
  • jq715861jq715861 Rising Star
    edited December 2007
    camleck;190466 said:
    Let's sue them. Class action style.:D
    What are you going to sue them for? Emotional distress?
  • FortheloveofgodFortheloveofgod Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Activision sucks for doing this, but it is actually a really smart move to combat Rock Band. Activision may have been fine with the patch going though until they, along with everyone else, realized what a piece of **** the RB guitar is. Why bail out RB with a good guitar when they can let the brand hurt itself with shoddy peripherals?

Still a dick move.
  • dfjdejuliodfjdejulio Rising Star
    edited December 2007
    Lareden;190472 said:
    Activision is huuuuge, they own just about everything.
    Especially after the Blizzard merger thing.

You know... I'm actually considering canceling my "World of Warcraft" account over this. I know the divisions are largely autonomous, but still, it's a way to send a message. (And I'm not raiding much lately anyway, spending more time playing Rock Band.)
  • TitannicaTitannica Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    I got through to an Activision Tech Support rep on the phone. He said that he was unaware of the existence of any sort of patch, so I read him the Harmonix statement at the opening of this thread. I discussed my frustrations with him and he said there wasn't really anything he could do since he dealt with Tech Support for games so he took down my concerns and entered them into the system and told me that someone MAY get in touch with me later.

I am just about to leave work, so I couldn't press the issue and demand to speak to a supervisor but I will do that when I call back tonight.
  • ParahParah Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Somehow I think the people who create the console that the game actually runs on have a LARGE amount of say in things.. and I was referring to the size of Sony as a whole company, not just in the gaming industry. More money = better lawyers.
  • DrumDemon666DrumDemon666 Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Here's my email to Activision. Feel free to use, edit to make your own, etc...

"I've been reading the news about the guitar compatibility issues between Guitar Hero 3's controller for use with Rock Band on the PS3. The official statement per Harmonix is that Activision WILL NOT allow the patch to go through for PS3 owners. Quite frankly, this is absurd seeing as Xbox 360 owners have the luxury of using their GH3 controllers on their 360 edition of Rock Band. This in no way is fair by any means. In fact, I will go through whatever proper channels I must go through to report this VERY poor business practice. Not simply because of the compatibility denial Activision has put upon Harmonix, but simply because of the principle. And trust me, I'm not a Harmonix fanboy, I'm simply one of many PS3 owners who quite frankly upset at the ridiculous lack of support and blatant disregard for the very same people that keep Activision in business by buying games like Guitar Hero 3. This is COMPLETELY uncalled for that Activision is unwilling to allow the patch. If this email has reached the right department, I would at least appreciate an email response instead of the brushoff Activision has already shown by disregarding its fans wishes. If this email hasn't reached the correct party, please see to it that it does. I'd personally love to hear how Activision justifies its staggering decision to not do right with their product when it's obvious another console has no problem.

Rick Carter. "
  • sweett310sweett310 Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    Fortheloveofgod;190474 said:
    Activision sucks for doing this, but it is actually a really smart move to combat Rock Band. Activision may have been fine with the patch going though until they, along with everyone else, realized what a piece of **** the RB guitar is. Why bail out RB with a good guitar when they can let the brand hurt itself with shoddy peripherals?

Still a dick move.
    I agree in some sense, but still, think of the business Activision has got, and will continue to get knowing they could be the 4th peripheral for one of the hottest games of the year? So many people bought GHIII (~$100) just for this reason. Even if it is bailing out Harmonix, you still have to look at how much they can make from this.
  • lynx44lynx44 Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    I sent an email. I think eventually they'll change their tune as long as the issue gets enough press and they receive enough emails. It doesn't make any sense that the 360 for some reason can sit there and use the Les Paul, but the PS3 can't.

Also, I don't care about their EULA. Just because they wrote something on a piece of paper doesn't mean that I agreed to it. They didn't make me read or sign anything before I purchased it, so I don't see how I'm in violation of anything. Legally, that kind of thing doesn't hold up in court.

I also don't think that Sony can do a whole lot in this situation. Unfortunately, they have the worst selling next-gen console at the moment, so they can't risk the loss of Activision. I think they should have set up some standards when they knew that 2 guitars were going to make their way to the system, but now its too much of a risk to let the patch go through.
  • ParahParah Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    sweett310;190485 said:
    I agree in some sense, but still, think of the business Activision has got, and will continue to get knowing they could be the 4th peripheral for one of the hottest games of the year? So many people bought GHIII (~$100) just for this reason. Even if it is bailing out Harmonix, you still have to look at how much they can make from this.
    Exactly!! I mean, in the end, do they really stand to lose any money over this? If anything, you'd think that they'd make more money! This is the most pompous move I've seen any company in the gaming industry take in a long time.
  • HighlandlassieHighlandlassie Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    Boycott Activision

The lp is a piece of c**p, but it would have made a good option for those who cant afford another set.

I have not played GH since Nov 20, and I am not going to support Activision or GH any longer.
    hmxowlbear;190194 said:
    Hi Everyone,

As we have said in the past, Harmonix and MTV Games believe in an open standard philosophy of hardware and game compatibility. We think that there should be interoperability between music instrument controllers across all music games. This is clearly in the best interest of consumers, game developers and console manufacturers and will only help to grow the music game genre as well as inspire innovation and creativity.

Two weeks ago, Harmonix created a software patch for the Sony PLAYSTATION 3 version of Rock Band that allowed for guitar compatibility and support for third party peripherals, including enabling use of Activision's Guitar Hero III controller with Rock Band. The compatibility patch was submitted, approved and had been scheduled for release by Sony on Tuesday, December 4. Unfortunately, Activision objected to the compatibility patch's release. The patch remains with Sony, but we have been told that it will unfortunately not be released due to Activision's continued objection.

As is the case with the Microsoft Xbox360, we believe that Sony PLAYSTATION 3 users should be able to use the peripheral of their choice with Rock Band. We sincerely hope that Activision will reverse its decision and allow release of the compatibility patch and further, that Activision will allow Guitar Hero III to support Rock Band guitar controllers as well. We welcome all third party developers who wish to support our controllers and will provide any required support in order for them to do so.

We believe that when consumers have choice, everyone wins. Harmonix and MTV Games hope that Activision and others will also adopt this philosophy.

Sincerely,
    The Harmonix Team
  • marcusdarknessmarcusdarkness Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    im so mad i just want to use my gh3 guitar with the game, i know why they are doing this they know that we are willing to spend money on the things we want after all most of us payed at least 400+ dollars. We turn around spend another 160 for the set and come to find out that a game guitar that almost anyone who has rb would have wont work. Thanks for trying to help us at least rb is trying to help us, freaking guiatr hero...
  • sickboy1138sickboy1138 Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    its up on ps3fanboy
    and ive emailed
    QJ
    Kotaku
    and maxconsole

spread the news
  • lordgnulordgnu Unsigned
    edited December 2007
    We should all call and complain to Activation Corporate.

Activision, Inc. Corporate Headquarters
    Activision, Incorporated
    3100 Ocean Park Boulevard
    Santa Monica, California 90405
    (310) 255-2000
  • keith921keith921 Opening Act
    edited December 2007
    Well I've just sent TWO emails to Activision stating that I am boycotting their products unless they allow the patches release. I really hope they do. Cause right now they are causing more trouble for themselves than they ever wanted to.
This discussion has been closed.