A great video series for teaching you how to record music (RBN)

Alvarado6411Alvarado6411 Dethbringer
edited August 2009 in The Rock Band Network
I am passing along this video series for people who are interested in recording their own music, on a budget, for RBN. I noticed quite a few people not knowing how to exactly make a good recording of their songs and this video series, taught by Dave Ellefson (Megadeth) is a great way to gain knowledge on the recording aspect of music. Plus it shows the standard for the way songs should be recorded for RBN. Perfect for those of you who want to make it big on the network.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyvNT_eO52E

Comments

  • WrythmWrythm Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    I'm a pro tools certified audio engineer that will be able to help those out who don't have much MIDI or mixing experience and assist them in getting their songs ready for the RBN.

    This is a good series in a sense of he's giving you some general knowledge of what sounds good, but all in all, if you're just looking to create some songs to put onto Rock Band...here's a setup that should be enough if you're truly on a budget. Keep in mind, this is for a one man band.

    - Sonar, Logic, Garage Band, Cool Edit Pro, Cubase, Nuendo, Acid, Pro Tools etc. These are programs that are good for tracking vocals and live instruments.
    - Condenser Microphone for vocals. AT3505's are decent, Shure KSM's, etc. You can find some fairly cheap ones that can get the job done.
    - Microphones to mic guitar/bass if you're not running directly into your audio interface.
    - (If you're a full band with an actual drummer) You'll need some drum mics. This can get kind of pricey. You can get the job done with a couple of good overhead condenser microphones, but for a precise recording, you'd want to mic up each drum head. A cheap but decent microphone package I know of can be found HERE.
    - XLR Mic cables. Varies in the amount you need. Depends on if you've got drum mics or mics to connect if you're recording guitar from your amp.
    - 1/4" cables for your guitar and bass.
    - Pop Filter.
    - Decent pair of headphones that don't allow any bleed through.

    Now the pre-amp. What you're going to plug all your cables into.

    If you're a one man band, you can get by with this:
    - M-Audio MobilePre: USB connection, 2 XLR Mic Inputs, two line-ins, two stereo outs and a headphone jack.

    OR

    If you've got a full band, this is what I use at home when I'm not running a huge Pro Tools rig at the studio:
    - M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R: This is good for full band recording. USB 2.0 only, 48v Phantom Power, 8 XLR Inputs, 8 Outputs, MIDI availability, two headphone jacks with separate volume control, etc. This way if you've got an actual drumset to mic up, you'll have enough inputs to get a good recording if you want to mic the drums individually to get a more precise mix.

    If you're all by yourself and you don't have a drummer or even know how to play drums, you can always use a program like Fruity Loops or Reason to create drum loops. You can also make drum loops in any of the programs I mentioned before though it can be a bit more time consuming.

    I know this can be a bit overwhelming to take in all at once if you've never got your feet wet with recording, but once you get a grasp of it you'll be fine.

    A *GREAT* place to purchase equipment is from www.americanmusical.com.

    I say that because purchasing from there allows you to make payments on the equipment while you're using it. Say I wanted to purchase THIS MICROPHONE, but I don't have $299 on me. But that's okay because I can make three payments over three months of $100 each month. It's a lifesaver for me. Plus, free shipping on a total purchase of over $50! And now, I don't work for them, but I'm stoked at how good they've been to me.

    If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.
  • Icyjoe14Icyjoe14 Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    those are some of the most helpful videos i've ever seen on youtube. thanks! now if i could just turn 18 then i could be on RBN
  • SoratarSoratar Scapegoat
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for posting that! I'm passing the video on to my friend's band right now.
  • iruhlmaniruhlman Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    Alvarado6411;2794824 said:
    I am passing along this video series for people who are interested in recording their own music, on a budget, for RBN. I noticed quite a few people not knowing how to exactly make a good recording of their songs and this video series, taught by Dave Ellefson (Megadeth) is a great way to gain knowledge on the recording aspect of music. Plus it shows the standard for the way songs should be recorded for RBN. Perfect for those of you who want to make it big on the network.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyvNT_eO52E
    i have to ask, how do you have the masters for Annihilator?

    Alice in hell was a great track!
  • Alvarado6411Alvarado6411 Dethbringer
    edited August 2009
    iruhlman;2820491 said:
    i have to ask, how do you have the masters for Annihilator?

    Alice in hell was a great track!
    What? I never said I had the master tracks, I've been in contact with Annihilator who has told me Roadrunner has the masters. If you want some Annihilator, feel free to post your support in the thread I linked in my signature.
  • destruction3402destruction3402 Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    This is a good thread for those who's considering uploading their music onto RBN.
    p.s Dave Ellefson is a bass god! :p
  • iruhlmaniruhlman Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    Alvarado6411;2820640 said:
    What? I never said I had the master tracks, I've been in contact with Annihilator who has told me Roadrunner has the masters. If you want some Annihilator, feel free to post your support in the thread I linked in my signature.
    ah...gotcha. sorry thought you HAD the masters.
  • edited August 2009
    We will be releasing documentation on Mixing and getting your songs ready for the game soon. This documentation should help everyone a lot! I learned something :)

    We'll also be releasing a document containing lots of helpful tips for working with Midi in Reaper.
  • iruhlmaniruhlman Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    HMXEnosity;2821247 said:
    We will be releasing documentation on Mixing and getting your songs ready for the game soon. This documentation should help everyone a lot! I learned something :)

    We'll also be releasing a document containing lots of helpful tips for working with Midi in Reaper.
    question, from release of the those docs, how long (guesstimate?) would you say till the launch of RBN?

    2-3 months? obviously you have to give us a little time to play around with it
  • edited August 2009
    iruhlman;2821470 said:
    question, from release of the those docs, how long (guesstimate?) would you say till the launch of RBN?

    2-3 months? obviously you have to give us a little time to play around with it
    Open Beta is "Late Summer". The docs will be out before or by Open Beta. When, I can't say.
  • LHKninjaLHKninja Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for posting this! Very interesting to watch.
  • KoolkittiesKoolkitties Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    David Ellefson, I think I love you.
Sign In or Register to comment.