RBN parody bands

iruhlmaniruhlman Opening Act
edited July 2009 in The Rock Band Network
sorry not sure where to ask this but, will we be allowed to parody songs much like Weird Al does?

This is one genre RB doesn't have, comedy. Not sure if ppl would want it but surely if done right it could be a huge hit.

You don't need copyrights just need players to play the tracks.

Comments

• Big0neBig0ne Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    Or for that matter, bands like "Me First and the Gimme Gimmes"
  • ZephielZephiel Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    I was going to do some style parodies. I don't think direct parodies will be allowed, because Wierd Al gets permission to parody other artists' songs.
  • iruhlmaniruhlman Opening Act
    edited July 2009
    Zephiel;2795223 said:
    I was going to do some style parodies. I don't think direct parodies will be allowed, because Wierd Al gets permission to parody other artists' songs.
    I thought with Coolio, he didn't get permission and Coolio was pissed?
  • PonchoPoncho Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Would a parody of a folk song be okay? Because they don't have record labels, I think.

If so my band is going to cover "The Wheels on the Bus"
  • nicko68nicko68 Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    iruhlman;2795236 said:
    I thought with Coolio, he didn't get permission and Coolio was pissed?
    He got the permission from Coolio's label which was fine with it, but Coolio didn't know and was upset. They have since made peace.

He's been asking Prince for years for permission, but Prince is too uptight and is too much of an "arteest". :)

Weird Al doesn't even have to ask, parody is protected under Free Speech. He just does it out of courtesy.
    edited July 2009
    nicko68;2795252 said:
    He got the permission from Coolio's label which was fine with it, but Coolio didn't know and was upset. They have since made peace.

He's been asking Prince for years for permission, but Prince is too uptight and is too much of an "arteest". :)

Weird Al doesn't even have to ask, parody is protected under Free Speech. He just does it out of courtesy.
    so then do i have to ask and if i code it will it be allowed?
  • Alonzo1948Alonzo1948 Rising Star
    edited July 2009
    Zephiel;2795223 said:
    Weird Al doesnt HAVE to get permission to do his parodies. Its perfectly legal to parody somones song without there permission as long as they dont claim the song is 100% original and there own. Weird Al asks for permission because he wants to maintain a good standing with the artist and it seems to be working rather well for him.
    edited July 2009
    so lets say I post up a parody of Devo's Whip it.

will it automatically be rejected and considered a cover?
  • edited July 2009
    Based on all evidence so far, the purpose of the network is for new and original works, not copies of other peoples'... be it cover versions, parodies, etc.
  • AKALinkAKALink Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    My concern with doing covers or parodies is the original artist or label may come after you wanting royalties.
  • HeadcaseHeadcase Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Parodies appear to be fair use, but for respect to the original artists, I would buy the original song before the parody if both were on the platform.

Style parodies are another matter. I want a lot of Weird Al style parodies, so they'd best be on PS3 :eek:
  • SenseiLeRoofSenseiLeRoof Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    nicko68;2795252 said:

"Artiste".
    edited July 2009
    Apples;2795556 said:
    Based on all evidence so far, the purpose of the network is for new and original works, not copies of other peoples'... be it cover versions, parodies, etc.
    ok thanks for clearing that up. =(
    edited July 2009
    AKALink;2795682 said:
    My concern with doing covers or parodies is the original artist or label may come after you wanting royalties.
    This is why I wouldn't even try it.

I'm hoping style parodies are alright.
    edited July 2009
    Zephiel;2795819 said:
    This is why I wouldn't even try it.

I'm hoping style parodies are alright.
    what would an example of a style parody be like?
    edited July 2009
    iruhlman;2795825 said:
    what would an example of a style parody be like?
    Weird Al's "I'll Sue Ya" is a style parody of Rage Against the Machine, not a direct parody of a specific song.
    edited July 2009
    gotcha. so then a style parody would be ok as it is an original work right?

so if i write a song and then use a vocal parody of say Barenaked Ladies (that popular song escapes me right now) I should be in the clear
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited July 2009
    Apples;2795556 said:
    This was my thought.

That said, if Weird Al actually does use RBN (doubt it), that would be awesome.
    edited July 2009
    he probably (like most artists) doesn't know anything about it
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited July 2009
    Covers are not allowed, even if the lyrics are different.
    Style parodies are probably fine though.

Also, Novelty is a genre in-game.
  • iagomonkiagomonk Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    iruhlman;2795977 said:
    a vocal parody of say Barenaked Ladies (that popular song escapes me right now)
    Probably "One Week".

/Chickity China the Chinese chicken
    edited July 2009
    iagomonk;2796142 said:
    Probably "One Week".

/Chickity China the Chinese chicken
    yes thank you!

I guess a song featuring style parodies (judging/reviews) will be up to the reviewer to flag it or not