Next Band After The Beatles?

Comments

• jrcronlakersjrcronlakers Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    I hope it doesn't come down to this. Every time a new game comes out with new features it makes it more difficult to export all my DLC and keep it all under one roof. A huge track pack with patches in order to add lets say clothes and arenas when you DL it would be good. If it must be done I think the only two remaining bands that would draw big numbers are Zepp and Floyd.
  • neger-kattenneger-katten Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    Backbeat60-62;2810238 said:
    Instead of a game with just one band, how about a game based on psychedelic '60s. There are so many one-hit wonder bands from the '60s that you see on collections that if put together would make great music in a game. (Check out collections like the "Nuggets" series). Rock Band: Nuggets of the psychedelic '60s.
    I think this is a great idea... like GH made the "80's"... i think Rock Band should make a game based on the 60's... thats where the greatest music was made..
    This would suit me perfectly since im a great Doors fan XD.. and psychedelic rock music is kinda what they mastered.
    That way you can also have all ur stupid Pink Floyd that ur so fond of :/
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    Pink Floyd and Elvis

if more, i'd love to see, Rolling stones, The Who, Rush, Led Zep, U2, Genesis, Queen, The Doors, David Bowie, Dire Strait, Eric Clapton(solo and cream) and Peter Gabriel.
  • TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
    edited August 2009
    My 5:

Led Zeppelin
    The Rolling Stones
    Pink Floyd
    The Who
    Eric Clapton (Including Cream, The Yardbirds, Derek And The Dominoes, and solo stuff)
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited August 2009
    Not only do I think that no other band would be worth having their own game (at least not their own $60 game), I don't think Harmonix would do something of this scale again. I think they'd just as soon make RB3 that more expandable, and allow for interesting band-specific content to be included into the main platform in a meaningful way.
  • dmorris395dmorris395 Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    I've just read on Billboard where the new Pearl Jam album will be DLC leading to the assumption that maybe there will be a Pearl Jam game next year.
  • ScopitoneScopitone Opening Act
    edited August 2009
  • vcalzonevcalzone Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    Would be hard to do another game like this one. The Beatles had a story, history and iconography almost as big as their music. Aside from Bowie, I can't think of anyone else who has that history.
  • i_c_weineri_c_weiner Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    There is certain criteria that has to be met for a band to be worthy of a full game, which are history, change, breadth, and legacy. Those are:
    Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    David Bowie
    Queen
    The Who
    The Rolling Stones

I can't see them doing a Who game (despite how awesome that would be) as their work has already been extensively used in Rock Band games and DLC. No offense to Stones fans, but I just can't see them getting their own game. The problem with Bowie is that there aren't as many big hits for him after the 80's. That leaves Zeppelin, Floyd, and Queen, all of which have large and vocal enough fan bases to warrant and support games. I really seem them as the only bands that could feasibly get their own game on the scale of The Beatles: Rock Band.
  • AKALinkAKALink Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    zepplinmike;2809733 said:
    I think Pink Floyd would lend itself best to a game specifically for them. They already have a lot of imagery to work with for dreamscape-type things. Also, it'd be a great way to get the songs as intended cuz they could include several full albums (Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals, the Wall, and maybe others).

I'd prefer, however, that no other band get their own 'platform' like the Beatles, meaning that the songs are non-exportable and DLC is non-compatible.
    Harmony would be great in a Pink Floyd game because of their already intricate harmonies.
  • AndyyAndyy Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    Oh god please let it be Nickelback, please please please.
    edited August 2009
    Andyy;2811610 said:
    ... *facepalm*
  • Sgt.PepperSgt.Pepper Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    i_c_weiner;2811669 said:
    ... *facepalm*
    Facepalm aswell, as a Nickelback game would surely be terrible.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited August 2009
    I do agree that there's a lot that could be done with a Bowie game, but I really don't see it happening.

It does make me really want for Rock Band 3 to include dreamscapes, specifically a Bowie dreamscape. And a Pink Floyd dreamscape.
  • cutmaclasscutmaclass Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, and Pink Floyd come to mind.
  • sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    Pink Floyd - Good songs, very inspirational, and they have a history spanning 4 decades (60's, 70's, 80's, 90's). The venues would also be cool (London club, Roman amphitheater, Knebworth festival, The Wall concerts, etc.).

Grateful Dead - Their live performances are stuff of legend, and they have enough material for a game.

Black Sabbath - By far the most inspirational heavy metal band. You'd be taken through the band's days playing blues clubs to their fame in the 70's to the Tony Iommi solo projects of the 80's and onward.

Led Zeppelin - Come on, must I explain it?

The Rolling Stones - They've lasted for decades and have had a big influence on rock bands. Surely, that's enough to qualify for a game.
  • ReaverReaver Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    Either Zeppelin or Floyd.

If they go with Floyd, they really need to implement a keyboard peripheral. That is long overdue.
  • AndyyAndyy Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    Sgt.Pepper;2811713 said:
    Facepalm aswell, as a Nickelback game would surely be terrible.
    I hate Nickelback more than anyone in the world I think, I said it for my own amusement, glad to see no-one said "Yeah that would be sweet!"

I think the likely candidates are Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin and probably Queen, althought I don't like any of those bands...
  • vcalzonevcalzone Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    I could see Pink Floyd working.

Rolling Stones would make for a fantastic track pack. Even one that cost a ton of money would be justified. But I really don't care to see Jagger at various points in history. Their most famous concert was Altamont, and nobody wants to play that.
  • SkittlesSkittles Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    Andyy;2811610 said:
    youre joking right?
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited August 2009
    i_c_weiner;2811549 said:
    There is certain criteria that has to be met for a band to be worthy of a full game, which are history, change, breadth, and legacy. Those are:
    Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    David Bowie
    Queen
    The Who
    The Rolling Stones

I do not ever, EVER want to see another band standalone game, for RB *OR* GH, because every band that gets this treatment is one LESS band that will EVER join the setlist mix of bands 'n' songs that are part of the music platform HMX has been so faithful to.

But I just wanted to point out that, by your own standards, you seem to have put the blinders on as far as bands that have history, change, breadth and legacy.

In addition to those you listed:

Black Sabbath/Ozzy Osbourne/Ronnie James Dio
    U2
    Elvis Presley
    Elton John
    Michael Jackson
    Madonna
    Prince
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Judas Priest
    Iron Maiden
    The Eagles
    Guns N Roses
    Johnny Cash
    ABBA
    Bob Marley
    Bruce Springsteen
    Depeche Mode
    Bob Dylan
    Fleetwood Mac
    Genesis/Peter Gabriel/Phil Collins
  • KISSfan84KISSfan84 Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    KISS.
    The makeup, the costumes, Gene's ax bass, Paul's shattered glass guitar, the fire-breathing, blood spitting, guitar smoking, diverse stage shows with awesome pyro. This band has had numerous changes in 36 years: their look (with and without makeup), band members, sound (80's was a lot different from the 70's). Lastly, a huge catalog of music spanning 18 studio albums (with the 19th coming in October with all new material), and 8 live releases. Besides The Beatles, for me at least, this is the only other band who would be worth having a game.
    :cool:
  • rocknrolxdxrocknrolxdx Banned
    edited August 2009
  • KillercroissantsKillercroissants Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    Let's hope it's Nirvana!! :)

I mean, they already have 100% of "Nevermind," it's not that big a step to get the other four or five albums...the problem, of course, is the lyrical content...as is the case for all bands.

But if you can get by with the "satanic, stoner-ific, cultist" lyrics of the Beatles (clear Sarcasm) then Nirvana couldn't be too difficult to do, should it?

I dunno.
    edited August 2009
    cherokeesam;2811842 said:
    I do not ever, EVER want to see another band standalone game, for RB *OR* GH, because every band that gets this treatment is one LESS band that will EVER join the setlist mix of bands 'n' songs that are part of the music platform HMX has been so faithful to.

But I just wanted to point out that, by your own standards, you seem to have put the blinders on as far as bands that have history, change, breadth and legacy.

In addition to those you listed:

Black Sabbath/Ozzy Osbourne/Ronnie James Dio
    U2
    Elvis Presley
    Elton John
    Michael Jackson
    Madonna
    Prince
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Judas Priest
    Iron Maiden
    The Eagles
    Guns N Roses
    Johnny Cash
    ABBA
    Bob Marley
    Bruce Springsteen
    Depeche Mode
    Bob Dylan
    Fleetwood Mac
    Genesis/Peter Gabriel/Phil Collins
    I admit forgetting Elvis, Dylan, U2, Michael Jackson, and the oft-mentioned Kiss. However, the problem with some of those bands is also fanbase and the feasibility of them getting their own game and it selling well. That's why the rest of your list just doesn't seem to fit the honor of having a fully-crafted platform made for them. Black Sabbath/Ozzy, maybe, but it'd be an Ozzy game more than anything; I couldn't see them switching between him and Dio, it would have to be one or the other.

You'll notice that later in my post I ruled it down to Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Queen for a reason. This is because I couldn't find The Rolling Stones or David Bowie feasible for some varied reasons. I'll expand my final list to be:
    Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    Queen
    Elvis Presley
    Bob Dylan
    Kiss

Jackson would create too much controversy in my mind to sculpt a game for him, and it seems a bit too soon to go and do a full platform for him. If they did, however, it would have to include a dance pad ;) .U2 is too fresh in my mind to warrant a game of this magnitude. A GH-like game, maybe, but that's it.

On the new additions to my little list, Elvis is iconic in the way that The Beatles are, and he's one of the best selling artists of all time. A problem for him is that there's a distinct generational gap in his listeners that The Beatles don't have; you see a good deal of youngsters, the clich
  • chrth_rbchrth_rb Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    The only band that has both the musical and "environmental" credentials for a game at the level of TB:RB is Pink Floyd. As great as the Stones and Zeppelin are, they can't support with their history a game at the same level. A GH:A/M/VH style game? Yes. But not TB:RB.

Pink Floyd, on the other hand is doable, although tricky. They would be best suited for some advanced full-album DLC (i.e., a "joined" dreamscape sequence for the entire album); a collection of songs throughout their career part of their appeal falls apart.

(Note: Elvis could do a game at the level of TB:RB, but his post-army instrumentation is almost non-existent. It'd have to be a Karaoke Revolution game, not a Rock Band game)
  • NotAllThereNotAllThere Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    Blink-182. i would cry with joy the day they did that
  • Wave57Wave57 Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    Pink Floyd, Queen, or Michael Jackson. Think about it. EDIT: A Journey RB could be done. Or Kansas.
  • ClassicRockFanatic23ClassicRockFanatic23 Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    If they hadn't already released so much by the Who, then a The Who:Rock Band Would be cool.
    I can already imagine playing venues like Leeds and Woodstock......
  • Rod_StixxRod_Stixx Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    I'd rather not see another band specific game, and there aren't many (any) that would have the same impact with people across the board in age groups. The next big band I'd like to see in the game in a big way (whether it was a band only game, or just a lot of DLC) would be Queen.

Floyd is ok, and so is Zep, but both would pretty much be rentals. I wouldn't want to play them more than once or twice.