Requirements for Playtester only

jenjen961jenjen961 Opening Act
edited August 2009 in The Rock Band Network
I would like to participate in the Peer Review process. I do not wish to chart songs or upload charts to the RBN. My question is what exactly do I need? Do I only need to get an XNA membership or do I need to get Magma as well? I want to participate in making the RBN successful and Peer Review is where I think I can do it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited August 2009
    jenjen961;2819679 said:
    I would like to participate in the Peer Review process. I do not wish to chart songs or upload charts to the RBN. My question is what exactly do I need? Do I only need to get an XNA membership or do I need to get Magma as well? I want to participate in making the RBN successful and Peer Review is where I think I can do it.
    You would need an Xbox Live Gold membership, and an XNA Premium membership. You don't need Magma or Reaper.
  • edited August 2009
    You will need the following to peer review:

XNA membership
    Magma (which is free)
    XBOX 360 w/ Rock Band 2
  • edited August 2009
    davidshek;2819718 said:
    You don't need Magma...
    Ah but you do need Magma. Magma allows users to transfer songs for review over to the XBOX.
  • jenjen961jenjen961 Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    Thank you although I'm confused now about Magma, I thought that was a PC program?
  • jenjen961jenjen961 Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    Also, can you tell me the website to get Magma. I'm having a bit of trouble finding it.
  • edited August 2009
    Magma has not been released yet. It should be available late summer.

Magma is a PC program. It communicates with Rock Band to Transfer, Audition and Review RBN songs. The only people who will be using Magma are the Authors and Peer Reviewers.

You can stay up to date with all things Rock Band Network here: http://creators.rockband.com/
  • AKALinkAKALink Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    HMXEnosity;2819786 said:

Magma is a PC program. It communicates with Rock Band to Transfer, Audition and Review RBN songs. The only people who will be using Magma are the Authors and Peer Reviewers.

You can stay up to date with all things Rock Band Network here: http://creators.rockband.com/
    only a similar note, when will the Rock Band Reaper plug-ins or expansion come out? Will it be at a similar time as Magma?
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited August 2009
    HMXEnosity;2819733 said:
    You will need the following to peer review:

XNA membership
    Magma (which is free)
    XBOX 360 w/ Rock Band 2
    don't get in any hurry to pay for a XNA membership. It is hard telling when the testing phases will be over with and you don't want to waste part of your $99 yearly membership waiting for it to open up to everyone.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited August 2009
    HMXEnosity;2819786 said:

Than, wouldn't you need a PC also?

So, you will need:
    XNA Membership
    a 360 with a storage device and Rock Band 2
    the Free Magma
    and a PC to run Magma on????
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited August 2009
    How does Magma transfer songs from the PC to the Xbox for auditioning? Does it work over a wireless LAN or is a physical connection required between the PC and console (Ethernet, USB)?
  • KnucklesdudeKnucklesdude Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    Assuming it works the same as XNA Game Studio Connect, you need both your Xbox 360 and PC to be on the same subnet. You can use a direct ethernet, a router, wireless adapter, or a combination of these.

Check out this article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb975643.aspx
  • edited August 2009
    AKALink;2819917 said:
    when will the Rock Band Reaper plug-ins or expansion come out? Will it be at a similar time as Magma?
    Should all be out around the same time.
    Sayburr;2819993 said:
    Than, wouldn't you need a PC also?
    yes.
    trg007;2820011 said:
    How does Magma transfer songs from the PC to the Xbox for auditioning? Does it work over a wireless LAN or is a physical connection required between the PC and console (Ethernet, USB)?
    It works over your network. I don't think it matters what type from what I've been told. You just need your computer and the XBOX 360 hooked up to it.
  • ZmsZms Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    What about non-US residents? Can we sign up for reviewing only?
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited August 2009
    HMXEnosity;2819757 said:
    Ah but you do need Magma. Magma allows users to transfer songs for review over to the XBOX.
    Ah, my bad. I thought Magma was just the program that packaged everything up into DLC file format.
  • Dylan1KenobiDylan1Kenobi Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    I may sound like an idiot here, but what is XNA Membership and where can I get it? I would like to test new songs!
  • SFentonSFenton Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    XNA is a development platform for the 360. It's actually quite interesting, I've just picked up a development book about it. I'll probably start with the PC.
  • KnucklesdudeKnucklesdude Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    Dylan1Kenobi;2822612 said:
    I may sound like an idiot here, but what is XNA Membership and where can I get it? I would like to test new songs!
    There's a nice page here detailing the kinds of memberships and benefits of a premium one.

I'm glad people are interested in testing songs. The more effective peer reviewers, the better quality content.