A Bit Confused...

DookieManDookieMan Road Warrior
edited August 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Will every song submitted be available? Will Harmonix be doing any regulation at all? How much is it to submit songs? I just haven't been following along at all...

Comments

• trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited August 2009
    Well, the songs have to pass the peer review process first. If a song doesn't get enough positive reviews it won't make it through.

To submit songs (or just review others' songs) you need an XNA premium membership, which is $99 per year.
  • MexMex Mex Type Thing
    edited August 2009
    trg007;2823063 said:
    Well, the songs have to pass the peer review process first. If a song doesn't get enough positive reviews it won't make it through.

To submit songs (or just review others' songs) you need an XNA premium membership, which is $99 per year.
    They've stated that the peer review has nothing to do with the song itself, just how it's charted. So it's not like crappy songs are going to get filtered out, just badly charted ones.

So to the OP, in a sense, yes EVERY song will make it through provided it's charted properly.
  • KnucklesdudeKnucklesdude Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    I actually hope otherwise. I don't want charts to be sufficient, I want charts to be top-notch.

So I hope peer reviewers will have the ability to be extremely picky.
  • DookieManDookieMan Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    That's good. I agree with Knuckles, I hope they're pretty picky. I don't want things like 4 note chords and things be off time with the music.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited August 2009
    Mex;2823894 said:
    They've stated that the peer review has nothing to do with the song itself, just how it's charted. So it's not like crappy songs are going to get filtered out, just badly charted ones.

So to the OP, in a sense, yes EVERY song will make it through provided it's charted properly.
    I'm hoping it'll be a little more than just the charts. I mean, if I recorded myself banging on trash can lids and made an accurate chart of it, that doesn't mean it should get through. :)
  • MexMex Mex Type Thing
    edited August 2009
    trg007;2824330 said:
    I'm hoping it'll be a little more than just the charts. I mean, if I recorded myself banging on trash can lids and made an accurate chart of it, that doesn't mean it should get through. :)
    Well I'm sorry to tell ya, that kind of stuff will get through. The peer review system is for the technical side only.
    DookieMan;2824309 said:
    That's good. I agree with Knuckles, I hope they're pretty picky. I don't want things like 4 note chords and things be off time with the music.
    There are guidelines. 4 note chords is one of them I believe, can't happen. And notes being off time is a HUGE problem, nothing picky about it.
  • KnucklesdudeKnucklesdude Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    Well 4-note chords to me would be blatantly obvious. By extremely picky, I'm talking about having all the right notes in all the right places. And if the chart accurately represents what the musician is actually playing.

I expect that a pro reviewer could go into a midi file and place a marker on every note/location that they spot an error and tell exactly what the problem is (or fix it themselves). And after those are fixed and it's tested again, it could be handed to another reviewer, and so forth.

That's my ideal of peer review, a sort of checks & balances with the author and the reviewers, but let's wait and see. :)
  • MexMex Mex Type Thing
    edited August 2009
    Knucklesdude;2824397 said:
    Well 4-note chords to me would be blatantly obvious. By extremely picky, I'm talking about having all the right notes in all the right places. And if the chart accurately represents what the musician is actually playing.

I expect that a pro reviewer could go into a midi file and place a marker on every note/location that they spot an error and tell exactly what the problem is (or fix it themselves). And after those are fixed and it's tested again, it could be handed to another reviewer, and so forth.

That's my ideal of peer review, a sort of checks & balances with the author and the reviewers, but let's wait and see. :)

That's exactly what the peer review is for, that's why I'm saying you're not being picky at all :)
  • iruhlmaniruhlman Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    question.

If I'm an XNA member and i submit my track, can i not review my own product?
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited August 2009
    iruhlman;2824629 said:
    question.

I am sure you can, but one review only. I doubt HMX will let songs go with only one review...
  • edited August 2009
    iruhlman;2824629 said:
    You can not review any music that you've submitted yourself.
    Sayburr;2825038 said:
    I doubt HMX will let songs go with only one review...
    A certain amount of reviewers need to pass a song before it gets to the store. It's more than 1, yes.
    edited August 2009
    HMXEnosity;2825319 said:
    You can not review any music that you've submitted yourself.

A certain amount of reviewers need to pass a song before it gets to the store. It's more than 1, yes.
    yeah i figured as much as i think i read someone say they couldn't review their own XNA game. Just didn't know if the review process was going to be as simple as what MS just implemented into the 360. Didn't know if that was similar to whats the norm with reviews on the XNA.

side question then: will there be a standard protocol for tracks submitted as to when they "need" to be reviewed by? Example I submit a track and it takes a month for it to get reviewed. is that acceptable?
  • edited August 2009
    The review process we're using is similar to that of the XNA games community. Check them out for some insight into the review process.
    edited August 2009
    HMXEnosity;2825666 said:
    The review process we're using is similar to that of the XNA games community. Check them out for some insight into the review process.

well seeing as they've released what 400 games? It seems the review process is very quick. Im guessing its alot easier to review 1 song as opposed to an entire game, guess I'll find out when i review your tracks ;)