In-game Special Effects and Other Stuff

Tr1cky TprTr1cky Tpr Rising Star
edited August 2009 in The Rock Band Network
How will you be able to chart Overdrive/Band Unisons in this game? ANSWER: They are placed in the MIDI file used to chart the songs in the first place (by you, of course).

Also, sometimes certain actions are preset to happen on certain songs (i.e. the whole band sans drummer jumps up in the air when you scream 'Yeeeeaaaaah!' in Won't Get Fooled Again), will you be able to map these as well? ANSWER: Yes.

How will the game lip-sync the songs? ANSWER: Magma lip-syncs it for you.
Can you get the other band members to sing as well (backup vocals)? ANSWER: Yes, Magma also lip-syncs these.

How will the star cutoffs be worked out? ANSWER: By the number of notes you have in the track and how many band members are playing.

Who do you think's gonna win Pop Idol? ANSWER: Who gives a crap? Take an ego-puff point if you know the reference.

Any possible timeframe for getting this out to other countries? (i.e. UK) ANSWER: Lol, like with Rock Band 1? You wish. (Still need a proper answer for this!)

Will people that don't have RBN yet released in their country (i.e. UK) still be able to playtest songs, and buy them? ANSWER: Yes.

Will you need a XNA account to review songs?

Comments

• Tr1cky TprTr1cky Tpr Rising Star
    edited August 2009
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    bumping is unallowed on this website ;)
    but as far as your questions...i really dont know and would like to know as well

but my guess is the band will chart the overdrives and maybe the pre-set animations...as far as lip-sync i think its the engine that does it automatically...

but i wonder how the scoring works...hope theres not much songs un-gold starrable or too easy to gain stars etc.
    edited August 2009
    solidsnakejt;2828691 said:
    bumping is unallowed on this website ;)
    I've done it many times before and never had a soul tell me that. Now I am aware.

As for the scoring question, you are very right, that should be answered too. I'll add it to my list of questions.
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
  • BillyBlaze314BillyBlaze314 Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    Tr1cky Tpr;2827523 said:
    How will you be able to chart Overdrive/Band Unisons in this game?
    The same way you chart the playable note gems, it's all part of the midi track. The only difference between a normal overdrive phase and a band unison, is that a band unison has overdrive marked in exactly the same spot on guitar, bass, and drums.
    Tr1cky Tpr;2827523 said:
    Also, sometimes certain actions are preset to happen on certain songs (i.e. the whole band sans drummer jumps up in the air when you scream 'Yeeeeaaaaah!' in Won't Get Fooled Again), will you be able to map these as well?
    Yes, we will have the ability to cue all of the animations that are available to existing songs.
    Tr1cky Tpr;2827523 said:
    How will the game lip-sync the songs?
    Magma automatically does the lip-syncing from the vocal audio track.
    Tr1cky Tpr;2827523 said:
    Can you get the other band members to sing as well (backup vocals)?
    Yes, characters from any instrument can join in at any time, but they will all use the same lip-sync data that the lead singer uses (can't have the backup vocals singing something else).
    Tr1cky Tpr;2827523 said:
    How will the star cutoffs be worked out?
    It's calculated from the total number of notes in each part (bass, vocals, drums, guitar - whatever you are playing) being played at the time.
    Tr1cky Tpr;2827523 said:
    Who do you think's gonna win Pop Idol?

Any possible timeframe for getting this out to other countries? (i.e. UK)
    I have no idea.
    Tr1cky Tpr;2827523 said:
    Will people that don't have RBN yet released in their country (i.e. UK) still be able to playtest songs, and buy them?
    I don't know about playtesting, but if you can download regular DLC, you can download RBN DLC.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited August 2009
    Tr1cky Tpr;2827523 said:
    How will you be able to chart Overdrive/Band Unisons in this game?

Also, sometimes certain actions are preset to happen on certain songs (i.e. the whole band sans drummer jumps up in the air when you scream 'Yeeeeaaaaah!' in Won't Get Fooled Again), will you be able to map these as well?

How will the game lip-sync the songs?

Can you get the other band members to sing as well (backup vocals)?

How will the star cutoffs be worked out?

Who do you think's gonna win Pop Idol?

Any possible timeframe for getting this out to other countries? (i.e. UK)

Will people that don't have RBN yet released in their country (i.e. UK) still be able to playtest songs, and buy them?
    1. I imagine there's a way to place unison bonuses in the MIDI file, or the game automatically places them when all three instruments have energy phrases at the same time.

2. All the animations and lighting will be programmable.

3. It does that automatically based on the vocal track.

4. See #2.

5. I think they're automatically calculated based on the number of notes/phrases in a song. That's how HMX was able to make ALL songs easier to gold star with a patch in RB1.

6. Can't help you there, since I'm in the US. :)

7-8. It will already be available in all countries, the only exception being that to submit your own song (if you're a band) it must be done with a US XNA account. You can peer review and buy songs from the RBN store no matter where you live.
    edited August 2009
    trg007;2829085 said:
    1. I imagine there's a way to place unison bonuses in the MIDI file, or the game automatically places them when all three instruments have energy phrases at the same time.

2. All the animations and lighting will be programmable.

3. It does that automatically based on the vocal track.

4. See #2.

5. I think they're automatically calculated based on the number of notes/phrases in a song. That's how HMX was able to make ALL songs easier to gold star with a patch in RB1.

6. Can't help you there, since I'm in the US. :)

7-8. It will already be available in all countries, the only exception being that to submit your own song (if you're a band) it must be done with a US XNA account. You can peer review and buy songs from the RBN store no matter where you live.
    Awesome, awesome, thank you for answering my questions, i'll post the answers up in the first post so other people can see them as well. I also have a new question as well (See First Post).
  • BillyBlaze314BillyBlaze314 Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    Tr1cky Tpr;2827523 said:
    Will you need a XNA account to review songs?
    Yes.
    edited August 2009
    BillyBlaze314;2829512 said:
    Yes.
    Booooo. Oh well, i'll see to getting one anyway, because i do plan on throwing music at this when it reaches UK shores (In 2011).
    edited August 2009
    Tr1cky Tpr;2829546 said:
    Booooo. Oh well, i'll see to getting one anyway, because i do plan on throwing music at this when it reaches UK shores (In 2011).
    If you are a musician you can still get your music up there, you just need to get someone with a US XNA account (such as RhythmAuthors) to submit it for you. Several bands from Canada and the UK have already contracted with RhythmAuthors to get their music on RBN.
    edited August 2009
    trg007;2829870 said:
    If you are a musician you can still get your music up there, you just need to get someone with a US XNA account (such as RhythmAuthors) to submit it for you. Several bands from Canada and the UK have already contracted with RhythmAuthors to get their music on RBN.
    I would, but they take half your share (which is only 30% to begin with), and i am confident in my charting abilities. I do it from time to time for Frets On Fire (although my computer forces that game out of sync so i can never test them myself)
    edited August 2009
    Tr1cky Tpr;2830380 said:
    I would, but they take half your share (which is only 30% to begin with), and i am confident in my charting abilities. I do it from time to time for Frets On Fire (although my computer forces that game out of sync so i can never test them myself)
    If you do the charting they'll submit your songs for a one-time fee only. I have no idea what that would be though. Wouldn't hurt to email them and ask them. :)
    edited August 2009
    trg007;2831634 said:
    If you do the charting they'll submit your songs for a one-time fee only. I have no idea what that would be though. Wouldn't hurt to email them and ask them. :)
    One time fee, huh? I like... in that case, if there is a chance i don't have to wait for localisation, then i'll see if i can speed my songwriting up.
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited August 2009
    trg007;2831634 said:
    At the same time though, they won't advertise your song or give it score tracking on Scorehero (which I'm pretty sure Rhythm Authors WILL DO if they get half your share... Which in turn might make you more than before).
  • XygnusXygnus Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    If only I didn't live in Portugal... QQ
    edited August 2009
    SonicRocker15X;2832976 said:
    At the same time though, they won't advertise your song or give it score tracking on Scorehero (which I'm pretty sure Rhythm Authors WILL DO if they get half your share... Which in turn might make you more than before).
    That's kind of unfair that they only give ScoreHero tracking to people who (potentially) pay them more, which is essentially what it boils down to.
  • hawkofvahawkofva Rocks You Like A Hurricane
    edited August 2009
    Tr1cky Tpr;2836490 said:
    That's kind of unfair that they only give ScoreHero tracking to people who (potentially) pay them more, which is essentially what it boils down to.
    If the song is good enough to get popular, ScoreHero will probably track it anyway, so you're just losing their advertising. I admit that I'm not a fan of the Score-Obsessed faction of the community. S1ckH4nds and SaikoSakura have their own RG-Studios to do much the same stuff, and these are people who know how to enjoy the game for what it is: a game. I expect much better material from them.