Ability to sell song token codes?

SwordofWhedonSwordofWhedon Opening Act
edited August 2009 in The Rock Band Network
I know the energizer thing and all that would have us go to a site and put in the code, which would then spit out a code for Live or PSN

will we have the ability on launch, or a soon after thing to purchase codes to sell with merch? Like let's say we have a new album and want to sell a RB download code with it, or keep songs exclusive so we can do "buy a shirt, hat and the CD, get rock band code" type arrangements. I completely get that we might have to pay upfront for the codes

Especially with the bands I deal with, merch is more important than ever, so being able to offer this as incentive would be a boon

Thanks very much!

Comments

• afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited August 2009
    this is actually a good idea that could easily benefit multiple parties.
  • iruhlmaniruhlman Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    Codes can equal disaster, look at what happened with the release of Disturbed latest album and the Best Buy offer to get some tracks free on the Xbox with purchase. Took me literally 2 months to get those songs and the code ultimately had to come from like a VP from Best Buy thru email.

I remember going on the forums on xbox.com and MANY had similar problems and I realize this falls on Best Buy but it left a stain in my memory and I now shy away from these deals even thou I was first in line to get Death Magnetic bundled with the code to unlock the album in GH3 (also from Best Buy). But it included the code i think so it worked like a charm.

This is a good idea but some will shy away from it and some might embrace it. I doubt HMX will offer anything for this.
  • MarsPhoenixMarsPhoenix Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    I think this is a great idea, especially considering that if a band charts their song and they all have 360s, they shouldn't have to pay for their own music.

Edit for further thoughts: There should be a few tokens (like 5 or 10) given to the submitter upon submitting so they can get free songs to their family, friends, band members, etc. After that, there should be a pay-for-tokens type of thing.
  • SwordofWhedonSwordofWhedon Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    XNA is giving creators 50 free tokens per posted game right now, but you're forbidden to sell them for obvious reasons ;)
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited August 2009
    I'm fairly certain that promotions like that are paid for in advance by Pepsi, etc. What I mean is that Pepsi pays HMX (and maybe MS) up front an agreed-upon sum of money, and they work with MS to provide a crapload of redeemable codes.

So if you can get somebody (the band, a sponsor, Jagermeister, etc.) to front some money for that, I'm sure HMX would be happy to talk to you about it. But it's not like they're just going to hand you a bunch of codes to give out. :)
    edited August 2009
    I know I need to pay for them up front or via some system they set up. I don't have a problem with that. I just want the ability to do so ;)
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited August 2009
    I like the idea (not the exclusive thing a bit), but the tracks with Merch thing so you can help promote the band and get some songs :)
    edited August 2009
    I bring in a lot of overseas acts, and the ability to keep the tracks with the merch for the duration of the tour and a respectable period afterwards, and to tie releases in with said tour would be optimal. Me and the bands make all our money on merch, tickets are pretty much break-even, so anything i can use to drive merch sales is a good thing :)

Mind you, we're doing this anyway. I'm just asking for something optimal is all :) Everyone doesn't have to do a code-exclusivity period on the songs either, I'd just like the option you know? Make is a reward for coming out to support the band
  • VedicardiVedicardi Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    that could be awesome