Royalties

GodeaterGodeater Unsigned
edited August 2009 in The Rock Band Network
One of the first things many bands will ask about RBN is royalties...

The press release mentions pricing tiers that a band can select and automation of royalty payments but that really doesn't provide much detail.

Let's say a band decides to release a track for 99 cents. How much of that goes to the band and how much to HMX? Is it a set percentage of the total price?

Thanks.

Comments

• JixzerJixzer Hillbilly Deluxe
    edited August 2009
    That kind of information is usually kept pretty close to the chest and quite frankly is nobody's business unless you're HMX or the artist. At least that's the way I look at it. As long as the prices stay reasonable and enough to keep the artists/labels/HMX in the black, I really don't care what the arrangements are.
  • Alvarado6411Alvarado6411 Dethbringer
    edited August 2009
  • KnucklesdudeKnucklesdude Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    The 30% can be split between the author and the band. Bigger acts will obviously be more picky on the compensation.
  • GodeaterGodeater Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    Thanks Alvarado and Knuckles!

Jixter obviously this information *needs* to be made available. Many of us will be approaching bands to try and pique their interest and maybe even program the song(s) for them. It's a pretty dead end conversation when you can't give them any financial details. SO quite frankly it *is* our business. :cP
    edited August 2009
    Godeater;2832250 said:

Jixter obviously this information *needs* to be made available. Many of us will be approaching bands to try and pique their interest and maybe even program the song(s) for them. It's a pretty dead end conversation when you can't give them any financial details. SO quite frankly it *is* our business. :cP
    I disagree. It's fine to approach bands and try to get them interested, but the financial arrangements should really only be shared with the parties directly involved. Do you ever ask how the sale of a CD is divided up? Do you ever hear how much concert ticket revenue goes to who? Do you have access to the actual cut an artist gets from selling a song from iTunes? No. Financial information is none of our business outside of how much we have to pay to get them in our game.
    edited August 2009
    Jixzer;2832356 said:
    I disagree. It's fine to approach bands and try to get them interested, but the financial arrangements should really only be shared with the parties directly involved. Do you ever ask how the sale of a CD is divided up? Do you ever hear how much concert ticket revenue goes to who? Do you have access to the actual cut an artist gets from selling a song from iTunes? No. Financial information is none of our business outside of how much we have to pay to get them in our game.
    Fail.
  • seinmanseinman Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    Alvarado6411;2832220 said:
    HMX = 70%

You = 30%
    More like

HMX + Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo + MTV Games + possibly EA depending on how that contract works = 70%

You = 30%

Don't forget who else gets a cut of the sales, it's not like Harmonix is taking every cent that doesn't end up in the band's pocket.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    Godeater;2832250 said:

Especially if *you* are the band, and are trying to decide if it's "worth it" to RBNize (pronounced Arr-Bin-Eyez) your stuff. I really want to do one of my old bands, but we lost our masters in a hard drive crash and would have to re-record everything. Personally, I'd do it cuz I love the game, but getting the other ex-band members to re-record songs we haven't played in 5+ years without any incentive is another story.
    edited August 2009
    Godeater;2833926 said:
    Fail.
    Why, cause it's a valid argument?

We already know about the 70/30 split, and honestly, they didn't have to tell anybody but those making/offering up their music and making tracks. Now, how the artists/labels/managers or HMX/EA/MTV/Viacom divide up their respective earnings is up to them and is really none of our (the players) business.
  • Nickalos NNickalos N Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    I always thought it was
    harmonix = 50%
    You and system developer= 25% each
    edited August 2009
    Jixzer;2834035 said:
    Why, cause it's a valid argument?

We already know about the 70/30 split, and honestly, they didn't have to tell anybody but those making/offering up their music and making tracks. Now, how the artists/labels/managers or HMX/EA/MTV/Viacom divide up their respective earnings is up to them and is really none of our (the players) business.
    There are two fairly large bands who I am trying to get interested in this and possibly do their programming for them. I don't know if you ever sold anything in your life but trying to talk to these folks and then having to defer them to HMX for some top secret royalties discussion is what they would call an additional barrier to making it happen. I'm happy that HMX has made this information available because regardless of what you think it makes total sense, and thanks to the folks who answered my questions instead of just coming into this information topic and arguing about it.
    edited August 2009
    Godeater;2834189 said:
    There are two fairly large bands who I am trying to get interested in this and possibly do their programming for them. I don't know if you ever sold anything in your life but trying to talk to these folks and then having to defer them to HMX for some top secret royalties discussion is what they would call an additional barrier to making it happen. I'm happy that HMX has made this information available because regardless of what you think it makes total sense, and thanks to the folks who answered my questions instead of just coming into this information topic and arguing about it.
    I wasn't arguing with you, I was telling you how it is.

Now I'm arguing:

Look, unless you officially represent the bands you're trying to get interested in the game, you're just a run of the mill plebeian with an overactive sense of entitlement based on your desire to see your "large bands" into this game. So, unless you work for HMX or these bands, the best you can do is contact them, point them in the right direction, and hope for the best. Outside of what we already know, the financial arrangement set between all parties involved is VERY likely not going to be divulged to you.

Have a nice day.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited August 2009
    Godeater;2832173 said:
    The press release mentions pricing tiers that a band can select and automation of royalty payments but that really doesn't provide much detail.

Let's say a band decides to release a track for 99 cents. How much of that goes to the band and how much to HMX? Is it a set percentage of the total price?
    The information that HMX has posted specifically says 30% of the royalties goes to the band. If you choose to use a company like Rhythm Authors to chart your music, your agreement with them might be that they take a split of that 30%.

But the 30% is set in stone, so to speak. If a song is posted for $1, you get $0.30 per purchase. There's no debate or arguing around that point.
  • Grey_StreetGrey_Street Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    Jixzer;2834318 said:

Now I'm arguing:

Look, unless you officially represent the bands you're trying to get interested in the game, you're just a run of the mill plebeian with an overactive sense of entitlement based on your desire to see your "large bands" into this game. So, unless you work for HMX or these bands, the best you can do is contact them, point them in the right direction, and hope for the best. Outside of what we already know, the financial arrangement set between all parties involved is VERY likely not going to be divulged to you.

Have a nice day.
    HMX really doesn't have much of anything to do w/ it from what I understand. It's all up to the band (and author) to do the work and get the song up for review. I don't know why it would be between HMX and the band.

Basically HMX has given the public the platform and the tools to be independent developers and let the loose so to speak. So knowing how much you will make off the deal as an independent developer(be it the band themselves or a band/author mix) is quite relevent.

If anything the OP should have read a little closer and found the 30% number that has been released as the 'independent developers' cut of the revenue. But since it's apparent he hadn't seen that info, it's a perfectly logical question if he is interested in getting a band interested and trying to work out a deal to author the songs for them.

You just basically came off as a jerk in this thread.
    edited August 2009
    Grey_Street;2835187 said:
    You just basically came off as a jerk in this thread.
    Yea, I know. That wasn't my original intention, I was simply pointing out that he's not entitled to any more information than the rest of us were already privy to just because he's taken it amongst himself to get a band he wants in the game. I admire his fervor, but his reasoning was flawed.
  • Grey_StreetGrey_Street Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    Jixzer;2835523 said:
    Yea, I know. That wasn't my original intention, I was simply pointing out that he's not entitled to any more information than the rest of us were already privy to just because he's taken it amongst himself to get a band he wants in the game. I admire his fervor, but his reasoning was flawed.
    Hey you're a big man for admitting it and I'd say that squashes any jerkiness that you may have built up :p

Why are those w/ the ealier join dates usually the ones that aren't afraid to admit things like that. Good show sir, good show.
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    seinman;2833981 said:
    More like

HMX + Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo + MTV Games + possibly EA depending on how that contract works = 70%

You = 30%

Don't forget who else gets a cut of the sales, it's not like Harmonix is taking every cent that doesn't end up in the band's pocket.
    i heard somewhere
    25% hmx, 25% sony/m$/nin, 25% label, 25% artist

but anyway we wont know exact numbers, and shouldnt care about it, as long as its profitable for everyone and that we get more songs :)
  • ShiningIdealShiningIdeal Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    Jixzer;2834318 said:

Now I'm arguing:

Have a nice day.
    The problem here is - the players approaching the bands for RBN are often the same ones wanting to do the authoring. Making it very important for them to know those numbers. Most bands are not going to be doing their authoring themselves - and while labels may choose to hire actual full time engineers for it - most of it is going to be grassroots. In fact the person in question was looking to do the charting for the band he was talking to potentially.

If we were talking about charts done by Harmonix, absolutely I agree with what you said, but RBN really does change the ballgame.
  • master2uallmaster2uall Back From The Dead
    edited August 2009
    I don't think I want to really put my music in if all I get is 30% and I have to pay to be a part of it and pay for it to be charted, seems like hmx really comes out in the end then.

And if was 25 per hmx,label, game system, and then artist, wouldn't it be 50% for me since I represent myself and band?
  • blzbub74blzbub74 Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    solidsnakejt;2841333 said:
    i heard somewhere
    25% hmx, 25% sony/m$/nin, 25% label, 25% artist

but anyway we wont know exact numbers, and shouldnt care about it, as long as its profitable for everyone and that we get more songs :)
    You're getting songs licensed by HMX confused with RBN. The press release for RBN specifically says the artists/author gets 30%.
  • TheOzoneTheOzone Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    You receive 30% of the revenue, unles you sign with companies like RhythmAuthors. Then they take half of that, leaving you with 15%.