What's with the time limit?

HelloMasterHelloMaster Opening Act
edited August 2009 in The Rock Band Network
What's with the 10-minute maximum song length for RBN tracks. The Harmonix DLC has longer stuff ("The Camera Eye" at least), so why impose a limit on the Rock Band Network?

With the stuff I listen to, 10 minutes is a short song.

If someone knows, please tell me the reasoning for the limit.

Comments

• davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited August 2009
    HelloMaster;2858380 said:
    What's with the 10-minute maximum song length for RBN tracks. The Harmonix DLC has longer stuff ("The Camera Eye" at least), so why impose a limit on the Rock Band Network?

With the stuff I listen to, 10 minutes is a short song.

If someone knows, please tell me the reasoning for the limit.
    Probably because 10 minutes is when the screen saver activates on the Xbox 360 if there has been no controller input. And singing into the mic does not equal controller input. That's why longer-than-10-minute songs like Green Grass & High Tides are shortened when you're playing it solo vocals.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited August 2009
    Hm. Did they also shorten it for the Camera Eye?
  • HelloMasterHelloMaster Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    davidshek;2858566 said:
    Probably because 10 minutes is when the screen saver activates on the Xbox 360 if there has been no controller input. And singing into the mic does not equal controller input. That's why longer-than-10-minute songs like Green Grass & High Tides are shortened when you're playing it solo vocals.
    Thanks for the response. That is a fascinating answer and one I had never considered. I was thinking maybe a limit on file size or to ease play-testability.

The screen saver can be turned off, though. At least I think it can. Hmmm, I just wish there was another way. If you're right, then the limit certainly isn't arbitrary, but I still wish there was another way.

No 32-minute Mars Volta tunes for me. :(
  • destruction3402destruction3402 Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    Is This 10 min limit in function even if the song is instrumental?
  • edited August 2009
    RBN songs can range from 30 seconds to 10 minutes in length.
    There were a number of factors leading up to this decision which I can't go into right now.
    edited August 2009
    HMXEnosity;2858896 said:
    RBN songs can range from 30 seconds to 10 minutes in length.
    There were a number of factors leading up to this decision which I can't go into right now.
    Right now?

That suggests that one day you will be able to go into it. I'm looking forward to that.

Thanks.
  • ArmsAreLoudArmsAreLoud Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    I suppose that means no Change of Seasons, then. Oh, well.
  • dragnforce5dragnforce5 Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    You kids today with yer 10 min Max. Why back in my day, my Geetar Hero couldn't go past 3 minutes. And we had to make the songs ourselves.
    "I bet there are some bonus rooms you havent found yet."-- bonus points if you guess the refrence
  • Shadow2222Shadow2222 Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    ArmsAreLoud;2859522 said:
    I suppose that means no Change of Seasons, then. Oh, well.
    Hey don't worry, we could still get Six Degrees in parts! But no Octavarium :mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited August 2009
    Nooooooo!!

I'm sorry, but that sucks so much! :(

This means Sigur R
  • edited August 2009
    personally I love Post-Rock.

These bands can still release songs, they would just have to create a special Rock Band edit for each track over 10 minutes.
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited August 2009
    HMXEnosity;2872599 said:
    personally I love Post-Rock.

These bands can still release songs, they would just have to create a special Rock Band edit for each track over 10 minutes.
    OMG, you can't cut Untitled 8, that would destroy the song. :(

Argh, it can't be helped. Maybe HMX can release this song instead? (I think you guys can still release 13 minutes long songs, right? ^^ ) The drums would be incredible. Vocals as well.

EDIT: It's actually only 11:45min long.
  • DanB91DanB91 Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    where was this limit originally posted?
  • ace360ace360 Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    that sucks does anyone know why there is a time limit?
  • edited August 2009
    I posted it somewhere in this forum. Anyways:

Minimum song length - 30 seconds
    Maximum song length - 10 minutes

I can't go into the reasoning behind it right now.

EDIT:

I can say this though!

If a well established band wants to bring songs that are over 10 minutes to Rock Band they can get in touch with us for bringing them to our regular dlc. Just because a band puts songs on RBN doesn't exclude them from regular dlc releases.
  • DanB91DanB91 Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    But what I don't understand is why would ANYONE ever price their RBN songs over $2 if the limit is at 10 min. I would think that the pricing for songs over $2 would be for the songs that were like 15 min or longer.

But IDK that's just me. I can't see anyone buying a song that has a limit of 10 min over $2.
  • ClipheadCliphead Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    If I'm not mistaken, there's a grand total of 2 songs out of the 800+ that exceed the 10-minute mark, so seems like a pretty reasonable limit.

(The Camera Eye and Jailbread* (Live) by AC/DC. I believe Green Grass and High Tides is slightly shorter)

*typo that amused me enough to keep
  • Lawl01Lawl01 Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    HelloMaster;2858750 said:
    Thanks for the response. That is a fascinating answer and one I had never considered. I was thinking maybe a limit on file size or to ease play-testability.

The screen saver can be turned off, though. At least I think it can. Hmmm, I just wish there was another way. If you're right, then the limit certainly isn't arbitrary, but I still wish there was another way.

No 32-minute Mars Volta tunes for me. :(
    I'd kill to have any Mars Volta track coming for DLC. I really hated how Neversoft shorted the 12-minute L'Via L'Viaquez to 7.
  • woodwindpizzawoodwindpizza Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    It really makes sense to me as to why this rule has been imposed and I agree with it. After playing the same song for 8-9+ minutes sometimes people start to become bored and uninterested. This decision was a tough one to make on Harmonix's part, but it is one that I agree with completely.
  • BBBDBBBD Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    From a gameplay standpoint, any song over 10 minutes would be a song I wouldn't want to play. It's one thing to listen to a song for 10+ minutes, but playing it is another.
    edited August 2009
    BBBD;2878936 said:
    From a gameplay standpoint, any song over 10 minutes would be a song I wouldn't want to play. It's one thing to listen to a song for 10+ minutes, but playing it is another.
    And I've no doubt that a lot of people feel that way, but that's no reason to impose the limit. Those that don't want to play the long ones don't have to. This is a concern over not having the choice. I would happily play 10+ minute songs. As long as the gameplay is fun, I really don't see the difference between playing one 20-minute song and playing four 5-minute songs in a row.

Just as you say, from a gameplay standpoint, fun is fun. As long as I'm still having fun with the songs, I'd just assume a song go as long as it likes.

And yes, I really would play the 32-minute Mars Volta song (Cassandra Gemini). In fact, I'd probably play it often.
  • KnucklesdudeKnucklesdude Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    I can vouch for some really masterful, good progressive bands that would be out of luck with the limit.

But, maybe Rock Band has a tendency to go awry after 10 minutes, maybe it's a technical difficulty. Although the limit's not too important on my end, just a worthy mention.