Indie & Alternative Appreciation / Discussion Thread!

overcookedbaconovercookedbacon Road Warrior
edited July 2011 in History of Rock
Since the Indie/Alternative Masterthread in the USL Forum has turned into more of a Indie/Alternative discussion thread, I figured I start this thread here. This way we'll have a place to discuss indie and alternative rock in addition to a thread supporting its inclusion in Rock Band. So, please try to keep the random indie/alt rock discussion here, and Rock Band related topics in the Indie/Alternative Masterthread in the USL forum.

Essential Listening For Indie & Alternative Rock Fans

Alternative Essentials Indie Essentials Essential Albums That Heavily Influenced Alternative Music
Beginner's Guide To Indie And Alternative Rock
Since the above essentials lists are quite large and can be quite intimidating to someone new to the genre, this is a list of albums that would be a good starting point for anyone new to the genre. Album Of The Week

06/12/10: WhoMadeWho - The Plot
Genre(s): Dance, Electronic, New-Wave/Post-Punk Revival, Indie Rock
Recommended If You Enjoy: Depeche Mode, TV On The Radio, LCD Soundsystem

This album sounds somewhat like a combination of Violator and Turn On The Bright Lights. The dance beats are backed up with blatant post-punk influence, and it makes for a pretty interesting album.

Preview Songs:
- Keep Me In My Plane
- TV Friend
- I Lost My Voice

http://rbfindiealt.blogspot.com/


Previous Albums Of The Week:
11/05/09: The Wrens - The Meadowlands
11/12/09: Autolux - Future Perfect
11/19/09: Japandroids - Post-Nothing

11/25/09: Azeda Booth - In Flesh Tones
11/30/09: Menomena - I Am The Fun Blame Monster!
12/06/09: OOIOO - Feather Float
12/13/09: Rheostatics - Melville
12/18/09: The Van Pelt - Sultans Of Sentiment
12/26/09: The Amps - Pacer
01/03/10: Eric's Trip - Forever Again
01/10/10: Jay Reatard - Watch Me Fall
01/18/10: Warpaint - Exquisite Corpse EP
01/24/10: Chad VanGaalen - Soft Airplane
01/31/10: Difference Engine - Breadmaker
02/06/10: Vic Chesnutt - Is The Actor Happy?
02/13/10: S - Puking and Crying
02/19/10: Gentleman Reg - Jet Black
02/27/10: Women - Women
03/07/10: Zola Jesus - Stridulum (EP)
03/12/10: Ghostkeeper - Ghostkeeper
03/21/10: The Dinner Is Ruined - Love Songs From The Lubritorium
03/28/10: The Summerlad - Themes: International
04/03/10: Brainiac - Bonsai Superstar
04/10/10: Memory Tapes - Seek Magic
04/16/10: Pearl Harbor - Something About The Chaparrals (EP)
04/24/10: Edria - Regret
04/30/10: Faraquet - The View From This Tower
05/09/10: Strawberry Story - Clamming For It
05/17/10: Free Kitten - Nice Ass
05/25/10: The Easy Tease - Bold Displays Of Cowardice
05/30/10: Naked on the Vague - Heaps Of Nothing
06/07/10: Wild Nothing - Gemini


User Recommendations

Gowienczyk's Album Of The Week:
Matt Pond PA - Several Arrows Later
Luna - Lunapark
The Mekons - Rock 'n' Roll
British Sea Power - The Decline of British Sea Power
Eve's Plum - Envy
Self - Gizmodgery


Relevant links:
Post-Hardcore Thread
Punk Appreciation Thread
Official Shoegaze Thread
Post-Rock Appreciation Thread
Indie/Alternative Masterthread Part 2 (USL)
Shoegaze Request Thread (USL)
Twee-Pop Appreciation Thread (I'm not linking to it out of spite)


(A big thank you to everyone who contributed to compiling the original essentials lists. And thanks to afterstasis for the new one.)

Comments

  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited August 2009
    overcookedbacon;2870418 said:
    I'm going to avoid more recent artists/albums, since it's really not fair to call them "essential" already. There are a few exceptional albums that could fall under that category, but otherwise it's just too soon.

    Also, if I add a Belle & Sebastian album it'll probably be one of their first two (Tigermilk or If You're Feeling Sinister). As I said, I want to avoid more recent stuff, and those two are the most defining albums B&S have put out.
    those are the only albums that you may have heard, in my opinion the essential album for Belle & Sebastain is Dear Catastrophe Waitress.

    an essential album doesn't mean it has to be an older release by a band. if you go back to 1989 when Doolittle was released, did people know that that album was going to be hugely influencial and everything? probably not

    im just saying... but for B&S their best album is DCW
  • overcookedbaconovercookedbacon Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    neckermanncj;2870432 said:
    those are the only albums that you may have heard, in my opinion the essential album for Belle & Sebastain is Dear Catastrophe Waitress.
    I've been through B&S's albums (except for one) at least once each. Tigermilk and If You're Feeling Sinister are the only ones that really stood out for me (and they're the only ones I still listen to with any regularity). Dear Catastrophe Waitress was a decent album, but it's nothing particularly spectacular (or defining for that matter). It was an almost complete departure from their sound on previous albums as well. They lost their lo-fi folky awesomeness...

    It's really arguable if Belle & Sebastian deserve a spot at all, but I would certainly say so.
    an essential album doesn't mean it has to be an older release by a band. if you go back to 1989 when Doolittle was released, did people know that that album was going to be hugely influencial and everything? probably not
    To be an "essential album," said album must be... Well, "essential." Typically that would mean something that you need to really understand and appreciate the genre. It has nothing to do with when the album was released, it's just that I can't think of many recent albums that qualify as absolutely essential.

    I'm not sure how lenient or strict I'll need to be for adding albums to the list in the OP... Depends on just how many there are in the end I guess. I will also add albums that are very good, but not really "essential" at some point. Right now, I'm trying to compose a list of the most important ones.
    im just saying... but for B&S their best album is DCW
    Is there any evidence to show that? Besides your opinion, that is. With B&S it's debatable. The one album I haven't heard is The Boy with the Arab Strap, and there are actually quite a few people out there who say it's their best album... For the most part though, Tigermilk and/or If You're Feeling Sinister are pointed to as their best (at least from what I've seen).
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited August 2009
    overcookedbacon;2870494 said:
    I've been through B&S's albums (except for one) at least once each. Tigermilk and If You're Feeling Sinister are the only ones that really stood out for me (and they're the only ones I still listen to with any regularity). Dear Catastrophe Waitress was a decent album, but it's nothing particularly spectacular (or defining for that matter). It was an almost complete departure from their sound on previous albums as well. They lost their lo-fi folky awesomeness...

    It's really arguable if Belle & Sebastian deserve a spot at all, but I would certainly say so.



    To be an "essential album," said album must be... Well, "essential." Typically that would mean something that you need to really understand and appreciate the genre. It has nothing to do with when the album was released, it's just that I can't think of many recent albums that qualify as absolutely essential.

    I'm not sure how lenient or strict I'll need to be for adding albums to the list in the OP... Depends on just how many there are in the end I guess. I will also add albums that are very good, but not really "essential" at some point. Right now, I'm trying to compose a list of the most important ones.



    Is there any evidence to show that? Besides your opinion, that is. With B&S it's debatable. The one album I haven't heard is The Boy with the Arab Strap, and there are actually quite a few people out there who say it's their best album... For the most part though, Tigermilk and/or If You're Feeling Sinister are pointed to as their best (at least from what I've seen).
    fair enough, i guess its the same with Wincing and Oh Inverted world... everyone points to Oh Inverted world as being the Shins best album, but i like Wincing the best.

    if you are going to choose any of those 2 i would want "If You're Feeling Sinister"

    better album IMO than Tigermilk, and you should check out "The Boy With The Arab Strap" it is quite good as well :)
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited August 2009
    I think it'd be cool to talk about some of the scenes that inspired, were influenced, or spun off from alternative music.

    No wave, post-punk, anti-folk, goth rock, the whole college rock scene, etc.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited August 2009
    also i think you should include Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah in the OP. it exemplifies Indie Rock very well, and is an excellent album.

    also throw in Oh, Inverted World if you want

    EDIT: and if you are going to have an of Montreal album, you could use Satanic Panic Panic In The Attic, Coquelot Asleep In The Poppies... or The *** Parade. someone else can have an opinion on those 3 and choose one of them if they want

    also you should add Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot! :D

    EDIT#2: Guided By Voices!!!!
  • overcookedbaconovercookedbacon Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    The more recent (post-2000) indie albums that I am considering:

    The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat
    Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
    ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead - Source Tags & Codes
    Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights
    The Arcade Fire - Funeral
    TV On The Radio - Dear Science or Return To Cookie Mountain

    To be fair neckermanncj, a lot of the stuff you mentioned is really quite good. It's again just not really that essential to indie rock. The Shins are great, but they're nothing new.

    I will be including a Sebadoh album. Probably Bakesale. Although it's tempting to include either III or Bubble & Scrape.
    timmay9 said:
    I think it'd be cool to talk about some of the scenes that inspired, were influenced, or spun off from alternative music.

    No wave, post-punk, anti-folk, goth rock, the whole college rock scene, etc.
    For sure. I'll get around to it tomorrow (hopefully).

    Man, I probably should have thought ahead and reserved two or so posts in addition to my OP... Oh well, I'll make it work.
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited August 2009
    I'd suggest including The 'Mats Tim as well. Goes hand in hand with Let It Be.

    Also, while stasis might disagree, Husker Du's Zen Arcade or New Day Rising should be included.

    And:

    Talking Heads-Remain in Light
    The Velvet Underground-The Velvet Underground and Nico (arguable as alternative)
    Violent Femmes-Violent Femmes
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited August 2009
    overcookedbacon;2870418 said:
    Also, You Forgot It In Me is more widely accepted as BSS's best work. It may prove to be one of those exceptional exceptions.
    i was gonna correct you
    overcookedbacon;2870681 said:

    To be fair neckermanncj, a lot of the stuff you mentioned is really quite good. It's again just not really that essential to indie rock. The Shins are great, but they're nothing new.
    :mad:
    they are pretty essential, they are one of the more popular Indie Rock acts today, they have all the right as Liz Phair does to be on your list, i never see Liz Phair mentioned anywhere as being an essential Indie Rock artist (i know who liz phair is, i'm from CT also)

    you should also add Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (essential Alt-Country)

    and pick a Yo La Tengo album

    and i'm fine with You Forgot It In People, i just like their s/t more

    Elephant 6 bands need representation!

    The Olivia Tremor Control - Dusk At Cubist Castle
    The Apples In Stereo - Fun Trick Noisemaker
    of Montreal - Coquelicot Asleep In The Poppies: A Variety of Whimsical Verse

    Elliott Smith - Either/Or or XO

    i think personal preference is overtaking your decisions....
    timmay9;2870698 said:
    I'd suggest including The 'Mats Tim as well. Goes hand in hand with Let It Be.

    Also, while stasis might disagree, Husker Du's Zen Arcade or New Day Rising should be included.

    And:

    Talking Heads-Remain in Light
    The Velvet Underground-The Velvet Underground and Nico (arguable as alternative)
    Violent Femmes-Violent Femmes
    i like these


    EDIT: in what ways are Slint Indie Rock? :confused:
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited August 2009
    I kind of dig the Shins, but I don't know how they are all that essential.

    Liz Phair helped push boundaries about what women could sing about.
  • FatWilmaFatWilma Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    i didn't see any of these mentioned (may have overlooked a few):

    My Morning Jacket - Z
    Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
    Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Sky Blue Sky
    Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
    The Secret Machines - Now Here Is Nowhere
    The Dears - No Cities Left
    !!! - Louden Up Now, Myth Takes
    MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
    Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
    The Whigs - Mission Control
    Tapes 'n Tapes - The Loon
    Band of Horses - Everything All The Time

    i know bacon probably doesn't consider most of those essentials, but they are to me... :D
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited August 2009
    FatWilma;2872013 said:
    i didn't see any of these mentioned (may have overlooked a few):

    My Morning Jacket - Z
    Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
    Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
    The Secret Machines - Now Here Is Nowhere
    The Dears - No Cities Left
    !!! - Louden Up Now, Myth Takes
    MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
    Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
    The Whigs - Mission Control
    Tapes 'n Tapes - The Loon
    Band of Horses - Everything All The Time

    i know bacon probably doesn't consider most of those essentials, but they are to me... :D
    None of those are what I would consider essential listening (not saying the bands suck).
  • overcookedbaconovercookedbacon Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    neckermanncj said:
    they are pretty essential, they are one of the more popular Indie Rock acts today, they have all the right as Liz Phair does to be on your list, i never see Liz Phair mentioned anywhere as being an essential Indie Rock artist (i know who liz phair is, i'm from CT also)
    Essential and good aren't the same thing. I love The Shins just as much as most indie fans, you know that. Hell, I own all their albums on both CD and LP (plus the Flake Music album). They're a great way to introduce people to indie rock, but they're not really that essential to the genre.

    The reason I'm hesitant to include newer bands and albums is because it is impossible to tell what sort of influence they'll have (if any) on the genre. With older stuff it's really easy to tell. As for Liz Phair, it's just like timmay9 said. She more or less paved the way for bands like Metric and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

    I will add Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and I will definitely add at least one Yo La Tengo album. Same goes for Either/Or by Elliot Smith (I may include XO as well).

    Slint's music contains both post-rock and indie rock aspects. They fit into both genres (and even math rock to some extent). They were a big part of the indie rock scene in their time, and their music was both influenced by and went on to influence many indie rock bands.

    If I was letting my personal preference affect what bands and albums I added to the OP it would look a lot different. In fact, if that was the case I'd have already added a Shins album.
    FatWilma said:
    My Morning Jacket - Z
    Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
    Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Sky Blue Sky
    Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
    The Secret Machines - Now Here Is Nowhere
    The Dears - No Cities Left
    !!! - Louden Up Now, Myth Takes
    MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
    Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
    The Whigs - Mission Control
    Tapes 'n Tapes - The Loon
    Band of Horses - Everything All The Time
    There are a few albums there that I'd consider essential. The Soft Bulletin is already up there, and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot soon will be. The rest are all very good albums, most of which I love and listen to regularly. I'm really just trying to include albums that indie rock as we know it couldn't exist without.

    That said, I'm considering adding both Yoshimi and Clouds Taste Metallic for Flaming Lips albums. My Morning Jacket is something I'm considering as well.
  • WolfbeckettWolfbeckett Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    Hmm I sort of feel like Downward is Heavenward by Hum belongs on this list somewhere. IMO it is one of the absolute best albums from the 90's.

    Edit: And just to throw in my 2 cents on this topic, anyone with a true appreciation of the history of these genres cannot possibly discount the importance of Exile in Guyville, it was absolutely important enough to merit inclusion on this list, and when I first clicked this thread I was going to recommend it right up there with Hum, except it had already been mentioned ;).
  • FatWilmaFatWilma Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    overcookedbacon;2872899 said:
    There are a few albums there that I'd consider essential. The Soft Bulletin is already up there, and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot soon will be. The rest are all very good albums, most of which I love and listen to regularly. I'm really just trying to include albums that indie rock as we know it couldn't exist without.

    That said, I'm considering adding both Yoshimi and Clouds Taste Metallic for Flaming Lips albums. My Morning Jacket is something I'm considering as well.
    i'm not as strictly devoted to the indie rock genre as u or some others, so i wasn't expecting many of those to be on your "essentials" list. just offering my 2 cents.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited August 2009
    overcookedbacon;2872899 said:
    Essential and good aren't the same thing. I love The Shins just as much as most indie fans, you know that. Hell, I own all their albums on both CD and LP (plus the Flake Music album). They're a great way to introduce people to indie rock, but they're not really that essential to the genre.

    The reason I'm hesitant to include newer bands and albums is because it is impossible to tell what sort of influence they'll have (if any) on the genre. With older stuff it's really easy to tell. As for Liz Phair, it's just like timmay9 said. She more or less paved the way for bands like Metric and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

    I will add Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and I will definitely add at least one Yo La Tengo album. Same goes for Either/Or by Elliot Smith (I may include XO as well).

    Slint's music contains both post-rock and indie rock aspects. They fit into both genres (and even math rock to some extent). They were a big part of the indie rock scene in their time, and their music was both influenced by and went on to influence many indie rock bands.

    If I was letting my personal preference affect what bands and albums I added to the OP it would look a lot different. In fact, if that was the case I'd have already added a Shins album.



    There are a few albums there that I'd consider essential. The Soft Bulletin is already up there, and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot soon will be. The rest are all very good albums, most of which I love and listen to regularly. I'm really just trying to include albums that indie rock as we know it couldn't exist without.

    That said, I'm considering adding both Yoshimi and Clouds Taste Metallic for Flaming Lips albums. My Morning Jacket is something I'm considering as well.
    i see your point now, i was kinda harsh yesterday, for that i apologize, and i was just defending The Shins..... oh well.

    maybe i will look into some Liz Phair, i've heard people talk about her here, but i've never listened to her...

    anyways, yeah.... :p

    EDIT: i think you should consider the Elephant 6 bands, because you have NMH and all, just saying....
  • overcookedbaconovercookedbacon Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    Wolfbeckett;2872971 said:
    Hmm I sort of feel like Downward is Heavenward by Hum belongs on this list somewhere.
    I agree. For some reason, that also reminded me of Fantastic Planet by Failure (which I may add).
    FatWilma said:
    i'm not as strictly devoted to the indie rock genre as u or some others, so i wasn't expecting many of those to be on your "essentials" list. just offering my 2 cents.
    Like I said, I like all of the bands you listed to some degree. It's just that I'm trying to keep it to albums that helped make the genre instead of albums that are just a part of it.
    neckermanncj said:
    i see your point now, i was kinda harsh yesterday, for that i apologize, and i was just defending The Shins..... oh well.

    maybe i will look into some Liz Phair, i've heard people talk about her here, but i've never listened to her...

    anyways, yeah....

    EDIT: i think you should consider the Elephant 6 bands, because you have NMH and all, just saying....
    No worries. If you do look into Liz Phair, make sure it's Exile In Guyville. Her later releases just aren't the same, and I get the feeling you wouldn't enjoy her more recent albums. Guyville is a lo-fi masterpiece, but her recent stuff is more mainstream pop. I still enjoy it to some degree, but nothing even compares to Guyville.
  • FatWilmaFatWilma Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    overcookedbacon;2873467 said:
    Like I said, I like all of the bands you listed to some degree. It's just that I'm trying to keep it to albums that helped make the genre instead of albums that are just a part of it.
    yeah i got it. maybe you could have a section of non-essentials but other great albums or suggestions from forum regulars. a Modern Alt/Indie section would be nice too.
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited August 2009
    I was just thinking, should we include a Talking Heads album? They no doubt were one of the biggest influences of alternative music.

    Both Fear of Music and Remain in Light deserve some sort of mention.
  • overcookedbaconovercookedbacon Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    timmay9;2873763 said:
    I was just thinking, should we include a Talking Heads album? They no doubt were one of the biggest influences of alternative music.

    Both Fear of Music and Remain in Light deserve some sort of mention.
    Absolutely. I'll edit the OP with a bunch of new stuff when I get home from work today.
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited August 2009
    Well, I'm taking the initiative to start listing albums that sparked the genre and are considered landmark albums. Obviously not listing every album that influenced every alternative band ever. Any key ones I'm missing?

    Essential Albums That Heavily Influenced Alternative Music
    Big Star-#1 Record/Radio City
    The Clash-London Calling
    The Feelies-Crazy Rhythms
    Gang of Four-Entertainment!
    Neil Young-Tonight's The Night
    Neil Young and Crazy Horse-Rust Never Sleeps
    No New York
    Patti Smith-Horses
    Pere Ubu-The Modern Dance and/or Dub Housing
    Talking Heads-Fear of Music and/or Remain in Light
    Television-Marquee Moon
    The Velvet Underground-The Velvet Underground and Nico
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited August 2009
    I don't see Depeche Mode's Violator or NiN's The Downward Spiral listed.

    Love them or hate them, both albums are incredibly important to alternative music and beyond.
  • overcookedbaconovercookedbacon Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    timmay9;2873886 said:
    Well, I'm taking the initiative to start listing albums that sparked the genre and are considered landmark albums. Obviously not listing every album that influenced every alternative band ever. Any key ones I'm missing?

    Essential Albums That Heavily Influenced Alternative Music
    Big Star-#1 Record/Radio City
    The Clash-London Calling
    The Feelies-Crazy Rhythms
    Gang of Four-Entertainment!
    Neil Young-Tonight's The Night
    Neil Young and Crazy Horse-Rust Never Sleeps
    No New York
    Patti Smith-Horses
    Pere Ubu-The Modern Dance and/or Dub Housing
    Talking Heads-Fear of Music and/or Remain in Light
    Television-Marquee Moon
    The Velvet Underground-The Velvet Underground and Nico
    There are a few I'd add to that list:
    Bauhaus - In The Flat Field
    Echo And The Bunnymen - Ocean Rain and/or Porcupine
    Mission Of Burma - Vs.
    Siouxsie & the Banshees - Debatable, but I'd say Juju or Kaleidoscope

    And of course, Unknown Pleasures and Disintegration... Really, any important post-punk band probably had a fairly large impact on indie and alternative rock.
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited August 2009
    I'd argue that those Echo and MoB records are just alternative. I'd also say they are essential though.

    Juju is usually the consensus pick, and that's another essential.

    Bauhaus is more than essential.
  • CommonCriminalCommonCriminal The Stork Whisperer
    edited August 2009
    Let's see.

    Blur - Parklife
    Happy Mondays - Pills, Thrills, N' Bellyaches
    Manic Street Preachers - Everything Must Go
    Pulp - Different Class
    Supergrass - I Should Coco
    The Verve - Urban Hymns
  • overcookedbaconovercookedbacon Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    Runesmith;2874008 said:
    I don't see Depeche Mode's Violator or NiN's The Downward Spiral listed.

    Love them or hate them, both albums are incredibly important to alternative music and beyond.
    The list isn't complete in any sense of the word.
    timmay9 said:
    I'd argue that those Echo and MoB records are just alternative. I'd also say they are essential though.

    Juju is usually the consensus pick, and that's another essential.

    Bauhaus is more than essential.
    Looks like I'll have to add an "essential albums that influenced alternative and indie rock" section to the OP. Probably with a title that isn't so wordy though.
  • CommonCriminalCommonCriminal The Stork Whisperer
    edited August 2009
    overcookedbacon;2874183 said:

    Looks like I'll have to add an "essential albums that influenced alternative and indie rock" section to the OP. Probably with a title that isn't so wordy though.
    You'll need this, then.

    David Bowie - Aladdin Sane
    David Bowie - "Heroes"
    David Bowie - Hunky Dory
    David Bowie - Lodger
    David Bowie - Low
    David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited August 2009
    Runesmith;2874008 said:
    I don't see Depeche Mode's Violator or NiN's The Downward Spiral listed.

    Love them or hate them, both albums are incredibly important to alternative music and beyond.
    I second these two.

    CC, the albums of Bowie's that deserve the most mention in regards to alternative music are either Low or Lodger.
  • CommonCriminalCommonCriminal The Stork Whisperer
    edited August 2009
    timmay9;2874234 said:
    I second these two.

    CC, the albums of Bowie's that deserve the most mention in regards to alternative music are either Low or Lodger.
    or "Heroes". The entire Berlin trilogy should be included.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited August 2009
    Wolfbeckett;2872971 said:
    Hmm I sort of feel like Downward is Heavenward by Hum belongs on this list somewhere. IMO it is one of the absolute best albums from the 90's.
    ****ing seconded! I absolutely love that album, and it's most certainly essential listening. Hum would most definitely be in my top 10 bands if I were to create such a list.
    overcookedbacon;2873467 said:
    I agree. For some reason, that also reminded me of Fantastic Planet by Failure (which I may add).
    Strangely enough, I was just listening to this album the other day. Failure and Hum are definitely very, very similar.

    A few more albums that I didn't see in the OP that are most definitely very, very essential (in no particular order):

    Alternative essentials
    Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space (essential listening for anyone, IMO)
    Ride - Nowhere
    Slowdive - Souvlaki
    Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime
    The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
    Violent Femmes - self-titled

    Indie essentials
    Silversun Pickups - Carnavas
    Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One or May I Sing With Me

    Most of the other essential albums I could think of were already listened or mentioned, though some more may come to me later.
  • Cpt. OverkillCpt. Overkill (Briefly) Touched by a Banhammer
    edited August 2009
    Alright_Computer;2876035 said:

    Indie essentials
    Silversun Pickups - Carnavas
    I came in here to say something about that...
Sign In or Register to comment.