Indie & Alternative Appreciation / Discussion Thread!

Comments

• neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    Alright_Computer;3024643 said:
    Yeah, but I wouldn't call them post-rock beyond a tinge here or there. I would call them awesome, however. :)
    afterstasis;3024646 said:
    yeah, EDM straddled the lines between indie, post-rock, and slowcore pretty steadily.
    maybe i'll check em
    neckermanncj;3024591 said:

EDIT:

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!! NEW of Montreal album coming out next year!!!
    http://www.undertheradarmag.com/interviews/of_montreal_in_the_studio

Kevin Barnes seriously doesn't want to stop, he puts out an album a year, which is awesome! :D
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited September 2009
    neckermanncj;3024656 said:
    maybe i'll check em

If you like that album, you'll definitely want to check out some other bands in their vein as well. Lots of good stuff in the indie/slowcore/post-rock genre.

Also, I hadn't heard about the new of Montreal album, cool.
    edited September 2009
    Alright_Computer;3024745 said:

Also, I hadn't heard about the new of Montreal album, cool.
    are you big on of Montreal, b/c if you're not i could help you with that ;)

he says it is going to be a "funkier" album, and he said that he has been listening to a lot of Parliament recentely
    edited September 2009
    neckermanncj;3024758 said:
    are you big on of Montreal, b/c if you're not i could help you with that ;)

he says it is going to be a "funkier" album, and he said that he has been listening to a lot of Parliament recentely
    I'm not a huge fan of them, but that might just be because I haven't heard much from them. I haven't even heard a full album from them, but I'm willing to change that ;)

Also, I'm interested to see how that would work out. The songs I've heard from their last album were kind of funky, and that worked out pretty well, so hopefully it'll be the same on this release.
    edited September 2009
    Alright_Computer;3024814 said:
    I'm not a huge fan of them, but that might just be because I haven't heard much from them. I haven't even heard a full album from them, but I'm willing to change that ;)

Also, I'm interested to see how that would work out. The songs I've heard from their last album were kind of funky, and that worked out pretty well, so hopefully it'll be the same on this release.
    everyone will tell you that "Hissing Fauna.... Are You The Destroyer?" is their best, which it might be, but go and listen to "Satanic Panic In The Attic" & "The Sundlandic Twins" both are excellent mixes of their lo-fi Elephant 6 days and their poppy electronic stuff they are doing now, although Satanic and Sundlandic are considered more psychedelic and electronic

also check out "The Gay Parade" & "Coquelicot Asleep in the Poppies: A Variety of Whimsical Verse"

they have 9 studio albums, a couple pretty good compilations that have mostly non-album tracks, and a fantastic EP called "Icons, Abstract Thee" just DL their discog if i were you, and then listen to those 2 first ;)

i've also seen them twice, once on their Hissing Fauna tour and earlier this year in june, mostly stuff from Skeletal Lamping, and to be honest i could see why that album would turn you off if you weren't a fan of the band before listening to it.
  • overcookedbaconovercookedbacon Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Man, the remastered version of The Stone Roses that was just recently released is great. Sounds much sharper. Totally worth the purchase if you enjoy that album.
    edited September 2009
    overcookedbacon;3025650 said:
    Man, the remastered version of The Stone Roses that was just recently released is great. Sounds much sharper. Totally worth the purchase if you enjoy that album.
    can you really tell the difference, because if so i might DL it.

also OCB, this was pretty kool http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgTJtdn6VjM
    edited September 2009
    neckermanncj;3025664 said:
    can you really tell the difference, because if so i might DL it.

also OCB, this was pretty kool http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgTJtdn6VjM
    You really can, it's a huge improvement.

Also, the video for "Over It" is sweet.
    edited September 2009
    overcookedbacon;3025683 said:
    You really can, it's a huge improvement.

Also, the video for "Over It" is sweet.
    yeah then i'll have to DL it :D i hope they've improved "This Is The One" by far the best Stone Roses song

yeah i discovered it today, that is cool that they skateboard/ride bikes too :)

also the new TPoBPaH EP is great!

o yeah and @OCB: i actually listened to St. Vincent (i know it took me a while to get around to it :rolleyes:) Actor was very good, i was really tired so it was helpful, i guess... :) i liked it a lot, although i will still need to finish listening to Marry Me, i've started listening to that album before but something came up and i had to stop. the same thing happened today
    edited September 2009
    neckermanncj;3025737 said:
    yeah i discovered it today, that is cool that they skateboard/ride bikes too :)
    If you look in the info box on the side, it says that there were stunt doubles for the really hard bits.

I've warmed up to that video a bit since first watching it (I think I called it the "worst video ever" or something) but I still don't like it a whole lot.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    is A_C still being a big dumb-dumb about that awesome dino jr video?
    edited September 2009
    neckermanncj;3025168 said:
    everyone will tell you that "Hissing Fauna.... Are You The Destroyer?" is their best, which it might be, but go and listen to "Satanic Panic In The Attic" & "The Sundlandic Twins" both are excellent mixes of their lo-fi Elephant 6 days and their poppy electronic stuff they are doing now, although Satanic and Sundlandic are considered more psychedelic and electronic

also check out "The Gay Parade" & "Coquelicot Asleep in the Poppies: A Variety of Whimsical Verse"

they have 9 studio albums, a couple pretty good compilations that have mostly non-album tracks, and a fantastic EP called "Icons, Abstract Thee" just DL their discog if i were you, and then listen to those 2 first ;)

i've also seen them twice, once on their Hissing Fauna tour and earlier this year in june, mostly stuff from Skeletal Lamping, and to be honest i could see why that album would turn you off if you weren't a fan of the band before listening to it.
    Cool, thanks for the big type-up! I forgot about this post initially, but I'll definitely take this into consideration.
    afterstasis;3028928 said:
    is A_C still being a big dumb-dumb about that awesome dino jr video?
    Well, I think it's grown on me a bit, and now I like it for the light-hearted video of some aging dudes in an awesome band that it is. :)
  • a_bull_on_paradea_bull_on_parade Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Likeing the Dinosaur Jr. and Stone Roses discussions here.

Who else thinks we need a whole album of both bands works?

For the Roses I'd suggest ether their Self titled or their Greatest hits.

Dinosaur Jr.? I'll take any and all they will give me!
  • CommonCriminalCommonCriminal The Stork Whisperer
    edited September 2009
    a_bull_on_parade;3029603 said:
    Likeing the Stone Roses discussions here.

Who else thinks we need a whole album of them?

They only have two albums, and one of them sucks. That should narrow down your choices.
    edited September 2009

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

Dinosaur Jr - You're Living All Over Me
    edited September 2009

CommonCriminal;3029668 said:
    They only have two albums, and one of them sucks. That should narrow down your choices.
    this
    overcookedbacon;3030526 said:
    The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

Dinosaur Jr - You're Living All Over Me
    this, i'm actually listening to YLAOM atm.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    i like every dinosaur jr album (yeah, even "without a sound" and "dinosaur"), but i've actually settled on "beyond" as my favorite, with "green mind" being my 2nd fave.
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, like stasis, I like/love every Dinosaur Jr. album, in fact, I did a marathon of every album they released around the time when Farm was released, so not too long ago. I think all of their albums are solid, though I do have to say Bug, You're Living All Over Me, Beyond and Farm are my favorites. I don't know which album I'd choose at gunpoint, and hopefully I won't ever find out.
    edited September 2009
    Alright_Computer;3030665 said:
    Yeah, like stasis, I like/love every Dinosaur Jr. album, in fact, I did a marathon of every album they released around the time when Farm was released, so not too long ago. I think all of their albums are solid, though I do have to say Bug, You're Living All Over Me, Beyond and Farm are my favorites. I don't know which album I'd choose at gunpoint, and hopefully I won't ever find out.
    yeah, i like all of those equally, i'd say.

in all honesty, i think i would pick Farm :o

FYI: DL'ing Sebadoh discog atm

AND SERIOUSLY!!!!

why the **** does Just Like Heaven cut off earlier than the original, that pisses me off so much!!! :mad:
    edited September 2009
    Alright_Computer;3030665 said:
    Dinosaur Jr is pretty much my favorite band ever, and I love all of their albums. If I had to choose one to be in RB though, it would be You're Living All Over Me. I'd honestly prefer a "best of" though.

Oh yeah, has anyone else besides me heard Mascis' cover of "Leavin' On a Jet Plane?" If you haven't track it down and take a listen. It's epic beyond words.
  • RedBaron45RedBaron45 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Does anyone here listen to A Place to Bury Strangers? I get them recommended to me alot. They remind me of TJAMC.
  • tridentgum0tridentgum0 Uninteresting Poster
    edited September 2009
    neckermanncj;3030714 said:
    yeah, i like all of those equally, i'd say.

in all honesty, i think i would pick Farm :o

FYI: DL'ing Sebadoh discog atm

AND SERIOUSLY!!!!

why the **** does Just Like Heaven cut off earlier than the original, that pisses me off so much!!! :mad:
    I have no clue why, but I could've sworn that said Sabbath when I glanced at it. I thought Hell was freezing over.
    edited September 2009
    RedBaron45;3031290 said:
    Does anyone here listen to A Place to Bury Strangers? I get them recommended to me alot. They remind me of TJAMC.
    Yep! I'm a big fan. If you like them, you'll definitely want to check out my shoegaze album of the week.
    edited September 2009
    overcookedbacon;3031281 said:
    Dinosaur Jr is pretty much my favorite band ever, and I love all of their albums. If I had to choose one to be in RB though, it would be You're Living All Over Me. I'd honestly prefer a "best of" though.
    *cough*what about Pavement?*cough*

EDIT: inb4 you quote yourself saying "pretty much"
    RedBaron45;3031290 said:
    **** YES!!!! your sig!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

"My Girls" by Animal Collective! that song is so awesome!

have you seen the video for it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zol2MJf6XNE watch it in HD if you could
    tridentgum0;3031291 said:
    I have no clue why, but I could've sworn that said Sabbath when I glanced at it. I thought Hell was freezing over.
    lol, that will never ever happen
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited September 2009
    Somebody else here wants some Massive Attack?

Angel and Teardrop would be so amazing.
    edited September 2009
    So, I'm listening to Merriweather Post Pavilion for the first time in a while now, and it's better than I remembered it. It's not my top album of 2009 or anything and I still prefer Feels, but it's definitely good.
    edited September 2009
    They have a Greatest Hits and I'll take that.

That said, I like Second Coming. Breaking Into Heaven and Love Spreads are my favorite Roses tracks
    edited September 2009
    a_bull_on_parade;3036565 said:
    They have a Greatest Hits I'll take that.
    In my opinion, it would be a much better idea to get their self-titled album, which is a much more rewarding experience than a greatest hits album, but I guess you can do what you want to your ears. :)

Edit: wait, I think I misunderstood what you were saying. You were talking about getting it in Rock Band, right? Requesting stuff goes in a completely different thread, this is just general discussion.
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    Second Coming in no way sucks. It's actually fantastic (doesn't touch the first album though).
    edited September 2009
    Alright_Computer;3036575 said:
    In my opinion, it would be a much better idea to get their self-titled album, which is a much more rewarding experience than a greatest hits album, but I guess you can do what you want to your ears. :)

Edit: wait, I think I misunderstood what you were saying. You were talking about getting it in Rock Band, right? Requesting stuff goes in a completely different thread, this is just general discussion.
    I know, it was more of a hurrah these bands rock kinda statement