would i be able to use rbn if i just made guitar solos as songs?

kh-catkh-cat Opening Act
edited August 2009 in The Rock Band Network
im just wandering? cause i could buy some music software and make some, and make a back ground track behind them all as a master track, would that work right?

Comments

• trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited August 2009
    Yes, it'll be possible to release songs with missing instruments or even just a single instrument. As long as all of it is legally owned by you (i.e., you don't take someone else's background music and play your guitar over it) it should be fine.
  • kh-catkh-cat Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    ok then that's good, i'll plan on subscribing for it then. (now all i need is a more decent guitar *wantz a dean razorback db floyd* and better amp and some recording software)
  • DanB91DanB91 Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    but the thing is, these songs are done by peer review. Many people might think a plain guitar solo won't cut it for the standards RBN is trying to hold. I wouldn't and I am seriously thinking of reviewing songs myself.

I would suggest at least having a drum machine in the background. Having someone actually playing the drums that doesn't do the same rhythm over and over again (add in fills) would be preferable.
  • snwns26snwns26 Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    You'd want more than just guitar, at least add in some fun electronic drums or something.
  • LyokoFreaksLyokoFreaks Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    DanB91;2876549 said:
    but the thing is, these songs are done by peer review. Many people might think a plain guitar solo won't cut it for the standards RBN is trying to hold. I wouldn't and I am seriously thinking of reviewing songs myself.

I would suggest at least having a drum machine in the background. Having someone actually playing the drums that doesn't do the same rhythm over and over again (add in fills) would be preferable.
    That's not how it's going to work, though. You can NOT judge ANY songs in peer review based upon YOUR opinion of what is a standard format for a song. I just wanna make this perfectly clear. You are playing the song and providing feedback on the note chart; you respond with constructive criticism on how the tempo map matches up, if the notes are well placed, etc. Once again, you do NOT tell somebody that, "well, this only has guitar, so I don't think it's really supposed to go on the RBN, sorry ^^."
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited August 2009
    LyokoFreaks;2877568 said:
    That's not how it's going to work, though. You can NOT judge ANY songs in peer review based upon YOUR opinion of what is a standard format for a song. I just wanna make this perfectly clear. You are playing the song and providing feedback on the note chart; you respond with constructive criticism on how the tempo map matches up, if the notes are well placed, etc. Once again, you do NOT tell somebody that, "well, this only has guitar, so I don't think it's really supposed to go on the RBN, sorry ^^."
    That's exactly right. DanB91, if you had planned on being a peer reviewer so you could try to Reject songs that you don't like, please don't be a peer reviewer.
    edited August 2009
    davidshek;2877613 said:
    That's exactly right. DanB91, if you had planned on being a peer reviewer so you could try to Reject songs that you don't like, please don't be a peer reviewer.
    When HMX said that the point of RBN was to have the same quality songs as DLC, I thought "Yay, none of that random guitar flailing **** found in GHTunes that has no rhythm." Was I the only person who interpreted that statement as that?

And where did I ever say that I would reject songs that I personally don't like? They can sound as ****ty to me as they want and the random flailing can sound as awesome as it wants, but I would personally reject them if there was no rhythm to it and just random flailing. Simple as that, nothing to do with taste.

But since you are saying that those are allowed I guess I will have to be less strict.

And for the record, yes, I know that a solo isn't necessarily random flailing and I apologize for implying that.
    edited August 2009
    DanB91;2876549 said:
    Many people might think a plain guitar solo won't cut it for the standards RBN is trying to hold. I wouldn't and I am seriously thinking of reviewing songs myself.
    You said that a plain guitar solo wouldn't cut it. If random flailing is what someone wants to do, then they can. As long as it is charted to standard, it will get through just fine. People might not buy said song because of its content, but it will pass peer review just fine.
  • AKALinkAKALink Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    My suggestion is to get some music theory books to learn how to write some real songs. As a Guitar Hero III loading screen once said "People don't want to pay money to hear you jam". If you don't have confidence in your singing ability instrumental songs can be your key.
    edited August 2009
    I have another question, if someone wants to be cute and post up a "song" that is 30 secs long and has one note, should that pass through peer review?
  • TheOzoneTheOzone Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    DanB91;2878996 said:
    I have another question, if someone wants to be cute and post up a "song" that is 30 secs long and has one note, should that pass through peer review?
    I wouldn't pass it.
    edited August 2009
    DanB91;2878996 said:
    i wouldn't either. EPIC FAIL XD
    edited August 2009
    DanB91;2878996 said:
    Is it a song that is accurately charted? Then sure. Will someone do that? **** no. If somebody wants to waste a hell of a lot of money on a song that won't be downloaded (remember, people get to play a portion of the song before downloading), then they sure can, but I know I wouldn't buy it. Nice try though. :D
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited August 2009
    AKALink;2878098 said:
    As a Guitar Hero III loading screen once said "People don't want to pay money to hear you jam".
    The Grateful Dead would disagree with that. As would Phish...and the Black Crowes...and Blues Traveler...and every other jam band. :)
    DanB91;2878996 said:
    Yes, it should. Will anybody buy it? No. There will be a 30-second preview of every song available in the RBN Store, as well as a free downloadable playable demo (first minute or 35% of the song, whichever comes first) of every song, so people will know exactly what it is before purchasing it.
    edited August 2009
    OK so it is confirmed that peer review process has no say in what sounds are uploaded. They are just there to make sure the notes match up with the sounds.

Fair enough.
    edited August 2009
    im still thinking about making a few songs for rbn, when it launches. lol, i would probably make some tough ones though, i do alot of fast shreding and DimBagish
    type solos *stuff like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypoNejZeMY0* plus they would be hard to chart
  • iruhlmaniruhlman Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    DanB91;2878996 said:
    I'm going to be part of the review and I would fail that - hopefully all the reviewers would, I however would pass just a guitar solo if its charted properly. Correct me if I'm wrong but RBN allows single instruments (highly NOT recommended) and 30 seconds to 10 minutes tracks so how can it not be allowed?
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited August 2009
    DanB91;2878996 said:
    Depends who is playing the one note. If it is you probably not, but if it is this then yes.
  • gomakyle25gomakyle25 Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    I read everything there is about RBN. ANd I am hyped, but, do you have to pay to post songs? Or is the 99/YR to review?
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited August 2009
    gomakyle25;2886595 said:
    I read everything there is about RBN. ANd I am hyped, but, do you have to pay to post songs? Or is the 99/YR to review?
    The membership is to post songs OR just review them. The only way you can post songs without a membership is if you use a 3rd party service to author (or just submit, if you chart it yourself) your stuff.