How would you guys chart this

AKALinkAKALink Road Warrior
edited August 2009 in The Rock Band Network
I'm on the edge of charting a single instrument piece of music. It is a classical/contemporary piece of music. It is a solo guitar piece, and the are parts where the there is drumming on the guitar. Should I manually take them out of the track an place them as a drum track; Keep it as a single track and not chart them at all; or Keep it as a single track and chart it.
Charting it would be only two notes on drums, or either all 4/5 note chords on guitar.
Song is "Chord Painting no 1 in E Major" http://www.myspace.com/mcphersonsound

Comments

• trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited August 2009
    I say keep the tapping in the track but don't chart it. There isn't enough of it to make for an entertaining drum chart for an almost-4 minute song, and charting it as notes on the guitar chart would be awkward.
  • AKALinkAKALink Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    I think you are right. Some people may complain that they want to play that on drums though.
  • woodwindpizzawoodwindpizza Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    I would make a drum AND guitar track. "Polly" by Nirvana has 8 drum notes the ENTIRE song. I don't care if there was only 1 drum note, it needs to be charted seperately.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited August 2009
    Listening to the track, I definitely wouldn't chart them as guitar notes... they overlap the sustains and that effect would be ruined...

I'd chart it as drums. It's distinct enough that it needs to be charted, and it occurs frequently enough that it wouldn't be too dull for drums.
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited August 2009
    You need a stage name, I wouldn't by a song by someone named Garrett McPherson.
  • KnucklesdudeKnucklesdude Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    Aw that's not nice. If the song is good/fun, I will buy it.
    edited August 2009
    General Lein979;2885822 said:
    Patrick Garrett? Or maybe "Original Composition"
  • DanB91DanB91 Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    Please tell me you're joking.

On topic:

I personally wouldn't chart them as drums or guitar because they are not drums or involve the guitar strings, they'rr just tapping on the guitar. But then again, HMX charted the beginning of Magic Bus on drums (which is just Keith Moon banging blocks together).

It can go either way. I personally wouldn't do it as it is technically wrong and is way more work than needed and I would just label it as a "No Drums/Bass/Vocals" piece, but do what you will.

And for the record, it really wouldn't make that much fun of a drum chart anyway
  • packerfan8675309packerfan8675309 Bladder of Steal
    edited August 2009
    Would you buy a song from Eric Johnson? How about Peter Gabriel? ?Richard Thompson? Bob Dylan? Okay I will stop there but I could definitely name some more. There are tons of successfull musicians who are named simply after themselves. I really doubt more people would buy the song if the band had the best stage name in the world.
    edited August 2009
    Ok I just tried to extract the taping from the original track. It isn't going to happen. Looks like this will be a Guitar only song. Thanks for the input.
  • TheKitchenSinkTheKitchenSink Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    packerfan8675309;2891801 said:
    Would you buy a song from Eric Johnson? How about Peter Gabriel? ?Richard Thompson? Bob Dylan? Okay I will stop there but I could definitely name some more. There are tons of successfull musicians who are named simply after themselves. I really doubt more people would buy the song if the band had the best stage name in the world.
    Bob Dylan is a stage name...
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited August 2009
    packerfan8675309;2891801 said:
    Find me one person in rock named Garrett and I'll resend my comments. Also bob dylan is a stage name, his last name is Zimmerman.

Wait Garret means: spear wielder, that's kind of metal.
    EDIT: I seem to have found the reason of the lacking of garret in rock the average age of the people named garret is 10 (data), this may explain why none of them have hit the big time in music yet. So I will change my comments to their is no one named Garrett in rock at the present time frame so you have to go with the stage name if you were to start a band of some sort, but it is possible in the future that Garrett could be a common name in band based music.
  • voodoo618voodoo618 Headliner
    edited August 2009
    I wouldn't chart it on anything. There isn't enough to really matter.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited August 2009
    Is it possible to chart multiple hammer-ons of the same color in a row? If you could chart it so that you had to tap green repeatedly that'd be a pretty good approximation. But I don't think that's doable based on the nature of hammer-ons.
  • KidmittKidmitt Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    LuigiHann;2900687 said:
    Is it possible to chart multiple hammer-ons of the same color in a row? If you could chart it so that you had to tap green repeatedly that'd be a pretty good approximation. But I don't think that's doable based on the nature of hammer-ons.
    I'm sure I've seen this on one or two songs. I just can't remember which ones.