Mac?

devilangel756devilangel756 Unsigned
edited June 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Will the developer tools be available to Macintosh computers?

Comments

• Nuff_SaidNuff_Said Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    I think it's been confirmed they won't. But, there are ways to make it so that you can run Windows on your Mac simultaneously with OSX, and you just alt+tab between the two Operating Systems. I don't have the details on how to do this, however.
  • DanB91DanB91 Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    The actual authoring program, reaper, is available for mac. However, the plug-ins required for rock band i believe will be windows only. Also the program required to package the songs created in reaper will be windows only.

try to get win xp or something and install it on ur mac. Virtualization programs like parallels IMO aren't worth it as the programs that you run on windows won't run as well as if you just rebooted into Windows on your mac
  • edited August 2009
    Reaper is available for Mac. The RBN plugin for Reaper will be available for Mac as well.

Magma is PC only. You could run Magma on a mac via VMWare or something similar though.
  • DanB91DanB91 Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    HMXEnosity;2889556 said:
    Reaper is available for Mac. The RBN plugin for Reaper will be available for Mac as well.

Magma is PC only. You could run Magma on a mac via VMWare or something similar though.
    That's good news about the plug-in. The reason I said the plug-in would be windows only is because I think you said it. Though my memory could be false :o

Do you know if magma will run through Darwine?
  • edited August 2009
    DanB91;2889564 said:
    That's good news about the plug-in. The reason I said the plug-in would be windows only is because I think you said it. Though my memory could be false :o

Do you know if magma will run through Darwine?
    I may have said it, but we recently got the Reaper plug-in working on Mac so good news there.

Magma only works on Windows so as long as you can get Windows running on your mac, it should work fine.
  • devilangel756devilangel756 Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    Will I be able to take the files from my Mac and put them on another computer with Magma?
  • edited August 2009
    Yes? I'm not really sure what you mean. Do you mean working on a mac then putting the files in Magma on a PC? If so, then Yes.
  • ClipheadCliphead Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    Any word on Linux, and if Magma (or Reaper for that matter) works with Wine? Ubuntu runs a million times better on this computer than Windows.
  • sperinesperine Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    I came on here hoping to take part in a Mac vs. PC flame war, but it is shockingly civil. Call me back when fists are flying.
  • edited August 2009
    The thread will most likely close up shop if I see a flame war. Welcome to Civilville!
  • devilangel756devilangel756 Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    WINDOWS SUCKS. Happy sperine? :D

I'm kidding, only Windows Vista. :P
  • OddbrotherOddbrother Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    If I see Linux or Unix support, I'd definitely be happier.

Wouldn't wanna waste any time logging into Presto just to work on Reaper and Magma.
  • ABrotherGrimmABrotherGrimm Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    HMXEnosity;2889993 said:
    I may have said it, but we recently got the Reaper plug-in working on Mac so good news there.

Magma only works on Windows so as long as you can get Windows running on your mac, it should work fine.
    HMXEnosity you have made my month, and it only just started!
    :D

Can't wait to see if I can get Magma running using DarWine! (Gonna be bad enough having to cough up the $$$ to buy an XBOX360, XBOX Live membership, developer membership, Reaper, Rock Band 2 for XBOX, lol).

MANYTHANX!
  • edited September 2009
    Thank you for your enthusiasm :D
  • ABrotherGrimmABrotherGrimm Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Thanks to you and your teammates!

Now. . . If only all tools were available for Mac, and could be compiled for and tested on PS3, and I lived closer to the West Coast so I could attend the 2-day session at GameSoundCon, then all would be well with the world, lol.

:D
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Sweet. Good to know I'll have no problems (hopefully) on my Macbook, though I'm still in the same boat as ABrotherGrimm. I'm so glad there's a gaming store in my area where I can rent out an Xbox by the hour, if I actually get into submitting songs. Definitely bookmarking this thread, in case more questions come up concerning Macs.

HMXEnosity, you rock!
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    WARNING MAC USERS!!!!!!

This is a preemptive warning about saving your RBN stuff to a portable flash drive for compiling on a PC.

DO NOT REPEATEDLY SAVE over the Reaper Project file ON THE FLASH DRIVE.

I just discovered why - apparently, when a Mac saves on a flash drive, it doesn't actually rewrite the data. It saves a new file, and sets the location name to it, which can fill up your flash drive pretty quickly.

This wouldn't be much of a problem, until you learn that Reaper will NOT warn you and prevent the project from saving if there's not enough room. It'll just lead the location name to an empty file that's 0 kb. THEN if you save again, the backup file becomes 0 kb too, and you are SOL once you exit out of Reaper. AND if you save on your computer's hard drive after you've already made the 0 kb file on the flash drive, you will create A NEW 0 KB FILE ON YOUR HARD DRIVE.

I just found this out the hard way the other day. Needless to say, my motivation has temporarily crashed. And yes, I do save regular backups, all with different names so I can have multiple backups to go to, if need be (and unfortunately it did need be).

Hopefully this will at least save someone a week's lost work.
  • NexusHUBNexusHUB Unsigned
    edited June 2010
    HMXEnosity;2889556 said:

Lol, the hell is the point of making your plug-in for mac but making a transfer requirement Windows only? Kind of defeats the purpose of making the plug-in for Mac. Brilliant move.
  • OmegaVitaminCOmegaVitaminC Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    You know, you can just use bootcamp to run windows on your mac. its a free program that should have come with your computer.
    works with any windows (windows 7 may have a few small problems though).
    all you need is a disk or a downloaded copy (from microsoft, dont steal).
  • non_zeronon_zero Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    NexusHUB;3779317 said:
    Lol, the hell is the point of making your plug-in for mac but making a transfer requirement Windows only? Kind of defeats the purpose of making the plug-in for Mac. Brilliant move.
    All development can be done in Mac OS, the only part of the process that needs Windows is the playtesting.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited June 2010
    While this is bumped I might as well confirm that Reaper and the RBN plugins work in Ubuntu through Wine (even though I'm the one who asked on my old account).