EB Games Canada screws us over!

Socko76Socko76 Unsigned
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
While the EB in the US offers three free dowloadable tracks when you pre- order, us canadians just get 25% off a used instrument? Why do we lose out on the tracks? It's the same company and other promos for downloadable content (namely "Little Big Planet") were brought over. What happened this time? Is anyone else annoyed? I'm thinking of cancelling my pre- order just to protest.

Comments

• whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited August 2009
    Socko76;2906421 said:
    While the EB in the US offers three free dowloadable tracks when you pre- order, us canadians just get 25% off a used instrument? Why do we lose out on the tracks? It's the same company and other promos for downloadable content (namely "Little Big Planet") were brought over. What happened this time? Is anyone else annoyed? I'm thinking of cancelling my pre- order just to protest.
    While it is the same company, they are run as separate entities, independent of the other.

If you want to complain, do it to Gamestop HQ, not here.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited August 2009
    Isn't there ALWAYS trouble when it comes to DLC promotions across the borders? Stride, Star Trek, Pepsi....
  • Blacklight21Blacklight21 Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    How are you screwed over? The Bonus 3 songs are just that, a BONUS.

Getting screwed over would be if you preorder TB:RB and got Rock Revolution instead.
  • mva5580mva5580 Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    Yeah but you get caffeine free Mountain Dew.

Oh you knew it was coming.
  • tinglytingly Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    I read, thought it, saw a new post when I went back to the main page, read again, and there it was. perfect timing
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited August 2009
    Could you please repeat in a form that we can understand? There's no subject in your sentence
  • tinglytingly Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    "I" is the subject, unless you meant another post.
  • l-o-tl-o-t Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    mva5580;2906560 said:
    Yeah but you get caffeine free Mountain Dew.

Oh you knew it was coming.
    :eek: Oh no he di'n!
  • Socko76Socko76 Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    First of all, as the old adage goes: If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. In other words, don't comment if you have nothing to add.

My reason for posting was to see if anyone else has heard different or if the songs are actually in package (Some games come with the retailer exclusives inside).
  • ScopitoneScopitone Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    THIS is why The United States annexed Canada in that documentary I saw called Fallout 3.
  • RADIO CHRISRADIO CHRIS Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    sucks for you
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited August 2009
    Socko76;2906872 said:
    My reason for posting was to see if anyone else has heard different or if the songs are actually in package (Some games come with the retailer exclusives inside).
    According to the in-store flyers, it's "3 free songs from future album releases".

What that actually means, I don't know. My guess? There's a special GameStop redemption code that will download a "Preview Pack" containing 1 song from each of the three confirmed albums (Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, Sgt. Pepper)
  • BathTubBathTub Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    T-Hybrid;2907693 said:
    According to the in-store flyers, it's "3 free songs from future album releases".

What that actually means, I don't know. My guess? There's a special GameStop redemption code that will download a "Preview Pack" containing 1 song from each of the three confirmed albums (Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, Sgt. Pepper)

Not a bad idea. If they aren't doing that, they should get on to it!
  • ArchangelZeroArchangelZero Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    Another DLC promotion being complained about in the North...not surprising...
  • ArramisArramis Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    Since 99% of Canadians (rough estimate, I can't find my notes) are clustered within 175 feet of the U.S. border, why not just buy your stuff at the EB games in Buffalo? or Detroit? Save yourself some aggravation. And hey, why not bring the kiddies, make a day of it.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited August 2009
    Socko76;2906872 said:
    First of all, as the old adage goes: If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. In other words, don't comment if you have nothing to add.

Actually, that wasn't your post at all. And I already gave you the explanation as to why this is happening.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited August 2009
    Scopitone;2906951 said:
    THIS is why The United States annexed Canada in that documentary I saw called Fallout 3.
    You couldn't Annex us! We're the only Country in the world to have actually defeated the U.S. in an armed conflict! (War of 1812).

That reminds me of a great story (sarcastic story, based on fact) I heard. We (Canadians) marched into Washington, burned down the White House, got drunk, got bored, then left.

/off-topic
  • DarkHeartsDieDarkHeartsDie Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    Blacklight21;2906496 said:
    How are you screwed over? The Bonus 3 songs are just that, a BONUS.

Getting screwed over would be if you preorder TB:RB and got Rock Revolution instead.
    yea that would pretty much be true, besides, aren't you able to buy those 3 bonus songs after the game is released? so the 25% discount of a used instrument would be awesome

besides, i'm not a big fan of the beatles, always hated them, so really if i preordered the beatles and got rock revolution, i wouldn't care, rock revolution in my opinion is a better game than the beatles because the beatles rock band game is just that, a beatles game, utter fail

i just noticed something, i was trying to get into the rock band forums, not the beatles rock band forum lmfao
  • redlummadaredlummada Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Arramis;2911858 said:
    Since 99% of Canadians (rough estimate, I can't find my notes) are clustered within 175 feet of the U.S. border, why not just buy your stuff at the EB games in Buffalo? or Detroit? Save yourself some aggravation. And hey, why not bring the kiddies, make a day of it.
    I live 30 minutes from Detroit (in Canada) and I know how crazy this idea is. First of all, most of the items are the same price in $US and $CAD, meaning we save whatever the exchange rate difference is if we purchase it in our own country. Secondly, purchasing in the US and then bringing it back to Canada means that you MAY (or may not) have to pay duty on your purchase, which can add up. On another note, we get any taxes back we may have paid on the US items. Last but not least, getting a US item and getting a US redemption code (for PS3 at least) will not work in Canada.
  • elfreakoelfreako Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Arramis;2911858 said:
    This has to be the most uneducated post I've seen in months, and I know uneducated, I use youtube.

I never once received any bonuses with any pre-orders I've made at EB Games. Can't say it's been bothering me though.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited September 2009
    I was irked at first, but EB Canada never gets much of the preorder stuff to begin with (no Scribblenauts hat, no Bionic Commando lunchkit...), so I didn't really expect them to this time
  • NeogogluNeogoglu Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I cross the border every two weeks and all i can
    say it's totally useless.

It's there only because the US are affraid of us (non-sense)
    and because the Canadian Government collects more taxes.

More than 90 % of the Canadian population lives
    within a hundred miles from the US border.

http://www.unitednorthamerica.org
  • Northern_BlitzNorthern_Blitz Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Socko76;2906421 said:
    I also live in Canada. I live outside of Toronto, and could go to the US to buy games if I wanted. Usually, it's better to buy in Canada.

Why? The exchange rate. Right now, you can buy a USD for about $1.11 CDN. This also means that a $1 CDN ~ 0.9 USD.

TB:RB sold for $60 CDN in Canada, and $60 USD in the States. Converging to Canadian dollars, that means we paid $54 USD up here in Canada. Sales Tax in Canada is 13%, and I think it's about 8% in NY (close to where I live).

So the grand total for TBRB in Canada is $61.02 USD, and in the US (by me anyway) it would be $64.80. That savings is just about 2 songs, so we didn't really get ripped off (especially since it sounds like it's a real pain to actually get the promissed 3 songs). You can use that money to buy anything you want (not just a selection of songs on TBRB).

DLC Note: DLC is also sold in CDN so a $2 song here is $2.04 USD after Tax. So we pretty much pay less for DLC too (assuming DLC is taxed in the States). Compared to US DLC taxed @ 8%, we get a free song for every 17 songs we download (if taxed in the US @ 8%).

So, if you buy TBRB in Canada, and download 17 songs, you will finish ahead of those who got the 3 free song promo in the US. Savings from every other song you buy (I think I heard that there might be ~ 300 songs licenced), will be gravy.

In short..we usually finish ahead on Video Games.
  • reycrireycri Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Northern_Blitz;3046897 said:

DLC Note: DLC is also sold in CDN so a $2 song here is $2.04 USD after Tax. So we pretty much pay less for DLC too (assuming DLC is taxed in the States). Compared to US DLC taxed @ 8%, we get a free song for every 17 songs we download (if taxed in the US @ 8%).
    ... Except standard pricing of XBL points here in Canada is $20 for 1400 points. So for a song that costs 160 points, we're actually paying close to $2.30.