RBN Independent Charters

MarsPhoenixMarsPhoenix Opening Act
edited October 2009 in The Rock Band Network
I want to compile a list of anyone planning on charting stuff on their own since no one else seems interested.

Just as independent, underground music can be just as good or even better than popular music, I know that independent charters can rise to the level of businesses or above them.

Just make a reply here and I'll try and update the list when I can. Feel free to include some basic information of your status with the Network.

-aforti
-Charron
-DanB91
-DavidRS (Can chart, but cannot submit. The band will have to do that.)
-eMaReMusic
-Kariodude
-SFenton
-STLynch charting
-TheBreenis
-Vedicardi
-xxRaen

Comments

• KnucklesdudeKnucklesdude Rising Star
    edited August 2009
  • DavidRSDavidRS Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    I intend to do a little bit of charting. But anything I do will have to be uploaded by someone else, due to my location.
  • AKALinkAKALink Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    I will see if I want to be an independent charter, if I do I won't have a wait list and I will only take one song at a time.
  • SFentonSFenton Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    While I don't even know what "Rhythm Authors" is, I'm interested in charting if anyone likes the work that I've done now. (Current rating: 100% by 3 voters! :D )
  • DanB91DanB91 Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    I would really love to chart. I would need someone to give me music though lol.

I would even chart for free, I just want to chart a song!
  • iruhlmaniruhlman Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    Knucklesdude;2908546 said:
    Eh. I don't want to announce anything until the RBN gets a'rockin and a'rollin.
    I'm the same way. I was tracking some guitars and bass last night, I'm filled with questions and I await the release of any docs to help me in my quest to bring my twisted music to the world! :P
  • dragonflyrdragonflyr Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    once the plugins and docs hit, i hope to be doing some "decent" charting within a couple months. (being a keyboardist, i'm very familiar with daw's and sequencing, so i'm hopeful that it'll all make sense)

i've got a ps3 ... so ... giving my stuff a real world demo is gonna be difficult. but .. i'll figure that out when i get to that point.

anyway ... i'll lay low for a while .. but hopefully after a couple months of release i'll be able to contribute to the cause.
  • raphael0729raphael0729 Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    I would like to be an independent charter
  • Aft3rshockAft3rshock Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    I'm up for charting, you can put me on the list if you want.
    edited August 2009
    Eh. This thread seems somewhat redundant since we don't know how many people can actually chart songs. Also, what instrument(s) are the individual charters' specialty?

This doesn't seem like a very good idea unless you're part of the closed beta. Once that opens up though, an accurate list of freelance charters could come in handy. :)
    edited August 2009
    A little more info about me I'd like to share, I don't know if I'll use Reaper (if it's required, I guess I'm out). I'm also into charting independent, unsigned bands (no biggies for me unless they offer ;) ), and I have no way of distribution (aka I don't have a 360). Maybe somebody will hire themselves out as a distributor, hmm?
  • MarsPhoenixMarsPhoenix Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    Knucklesdude;2946433 said:
    Eh. This thread seems somewhat redundant since we don't know how many people can actually chart songs. Also, what instrument(s) are the individual charters' specialty?

This doesn't seem like a very good idea unless you're part of the closed beta. Once that opens up though, an accurate list of freelance charters could come in handy. :)
    I will weed out the list if I see that people on the list are not contributing. This is more of a list to show how many people are interested that aren't merely involved with the closed beta advantage companies out there. Who needs a specialty? I plan on doing everything.

And hey, some of the companies Sayburr has listed aren't in the closed beta either. How are we any different? I'm just tired of seeing nothing but hero worship in relation to RBN and want to have a list where people who are not in the companies can post what they're up to in relation to Rock Band Network and a bit of a resume. Maybe not even for the purpose of getting people to look for us, but more of an accomplishments thread, and a statement of intent. I know I just don't want to be left in the dust of the big guys in the beta who are getting weeks of a headstart and end up being unknown and unable to do what I love.

And in regards to not knowing if I can use Reaper, if I can't use Reaper from Day 1, then I'll figure it out on Day 2. Or Day 3. Or Day 30. Whenever. It doesn't matter, rhythm game charting is one of the few things I'm passionate about, so passionate I will be. And I want anyone with the same passion to be able to share it and share it loudly.
    edited August 2009
    Hey man that's great. I also aspire not only to be an individual charter, but to be taken seriously. When you can just Google "Rock Band Network" and get an established team like Rhythm Authors, I understand the trouble that you or I could have in working with a band.

And I'm glad you'll weed them out. That's what I was working for with these semi-cynical posts. ;)
  • afortiaforti Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    I will definitely be charting on Day 1. I've got some experience with audio editing using programs other than Reaper...so I'm guessing I'll be able to figure it out.

I've already talked to some local indie bands (Toronto) as well as some slightly larger bands that are on tour with the smaller bands. I hope to be charting like mad over the next couple of months.

Also, I personally am a keyboardist, and will be aided by close friends who are drummers and guitarists....so I think I have most of my bases covered.

I really hope that a few independent charters can break through and rival some of the stuff done by the professional charting companies
    edited August 2009
    aforti: Depending on their experience, I've seen/played charts that rival (and if not that are better than) some of the officially-produced songs. Course, that ain't often...
  • CharronCharron Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    I know I'll be charting my own band's stuff. I've been trying to get other bands interested, and if they do show interest I point out that I'd be willing to do charting if they don't wanna go to companies or go it alone. So I don't really have much of anything on my plate, but I'm certainly leaving it open.
  • STLynch chartingSTLynch charting Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    i'm going to be pursuing this fully when it launches the public beta. i'm charting songs from my band as well as others in my area. i plan to tackle the entire st. louis music scene and making a business out of this.

charting, testing, publishing, even minor studio work.

STLynch charting
  • TheOzoneTheOzone Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    I am charting bands that agree to sign to Ozone Records, a purely digital label whose music is sold through the RBN and iTunes Store. So I'm sorta independent as I'm the lone charter and not a part of those big groups, but I'm only charting artists that agree to sign (with the exception of if a bigger name band approaches me).

In the contract I have with the current band I'm preparing to chart, I get 5% from the RBN sales while they get the other 25%. Seems like a better rate then most of the big groups charge.
  • STLynch chartingSTLynch charting Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    i have a question for the independents, like myself...how much are you charging the band to chart a song?

i mean, ozone hear just said he's taking 5% of the 30% given to the band and all, but thats the residual payments. im asking, how much are you charging for the initial work?

harmonix has said its going to take around 20-40 hours per song, figure thats a weeks worth of work full time, how much are you going to charge? $400? $500? $600 a song? for the 40 potential (if not more) hours of work for charting, i plan on charging the bands, and then of course taking a slight cut of the downloaded profit.

but i don't know how much im going to charge yet, and was wondering if anyone else had thoughts as to how much they were going to ask for...

also, while on this topic, how do we(band and authors) get that 30%? is it payed threw paypal? has harmonix said how that 30% is given? does anyone know?
  • TheBreenisTheBreenis Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    I will be charting. XNA Membership and Reaper license already purchased. =)
  • ImaCarrotImaCarrot Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    STLynch charting;2957040 said:

also, while on this topic, how do we(band and authors) get that 30%? is it payed threw paypal? has harmonix said how that 30% is given? does anyone know?
    http://creators.xna.com/en-US/faq#anchor_1_34

It is pretty much the same as this, though the minimum payout limit for RBN is much lower than the one for XNA. RBN also does not get tokens for songs like XNA does for games (yet and as far as I know).
  • CharronCharron Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    STLynch charting;2957040 said:
    i have a question for the independents, like myself...how much are you charging the band to chart a song?
    I'm only charging 10% of the profits (so 3% of the sale price). I feel, from my own experience, that creating the music in the first place is the real challenge, and the charting is more a rote programming job- so I don't feel I deserve a big chunk of it. Plus it gives me a lot more incentive to really promote the songs I wind up charting.

But I might go up higher, depending. If the group's got a higher profile I might start higher and negotiate. My friends, I'm pretty much doing for free.
    edited August 2009
    I'm not going to list TheOzone. I think he would fall under the other list of companies.

Ironically enough, I've joined with Music Game Authors, but I have no intent to quit updating this thread, as I still love independents and will gladly support their work. <3
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I plan on being an author as well. I'd love to join on those groups that already exist, but until that happens (if it happens) I'm going to be going it solo and tapping the music scene here.
  • eMaReMusiceMaReMusic Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Hi, I'm new to the forum, but not new to Rock Band. I have a project studio and really want to chart seriously as part of my small business. I have lots of experience with DAW's in general as well as Reaper and MIDI editing. I'm ready to get bands lined up as soon as Magma is released. Any connections anyone has to bands who are willing to pay a reasonable fee for a good chart are much appreciated.
    Regards!
    http://www.myspace.com/yourbandonrockband
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Well, if several factors can fall into place (and the stars align), I would love to make charts for bands. I've been working with MIDI off and on for half of the past 14 years I been playing music, and spent a couple of the more recent years arranging Stepmania tracks, so transcribing real-life actions to five buttons is easy for me.

DON'T put on the actual list yet, MarsPhoenix. As I already mentioned, there's a lot that would have to happen for me to be able to chart RBN tracks, like get Reaper to work on my Mac (or finagle my bro's PC from him if need be), find someone with a 360 and RB, make a little pocket money for the XNA membership, etc. BUT do know that I am totally up for doing this.
    edited September 2009
    Awesome, I actually have my rhythm game roots from DDR/Stepmania as well. =P
  • xxRaenxxRaen Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I have a lot of contact with a lot of small, local bands in my area who would love me to chart for them, and I'd love it as well. My old band, Follow the Earth, will be up first as soon as Open Beta starts. They're actually going into the studio next week, so we'll have everything we need to make the charts. I'm quite excited actually; Game development is the field I'm going into, and this is a great way to help some great bands gets notice, get experience in my chosen field, and to maybe make a little cash.

And who knows? I have quite a bit of audio/music experience, and I feel like I can make some great charts. Maybe eventually I'll move on beyond just small local bands. I know I'd love to.
  • eMaReMusiceMaReMusic Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    A question for all you independents who will make a business out of this...
    Do you plan to charge a flat fee and let bands pay for their own creators club account, or will you charge a percentage, as many of the charting groups are doing?
    Seems to me it would be sticky, collecting money and distributing it to bands. Could cause problems and accusations of us ripping them off. That's just my feeling...
    https://sites.google.com/site/emaremusic/yourbandonrockband
    edited September 2009
    Well contracts are contracts and we create them for good reasons. If you don't feel an author is trustworthy you can decide to either not contract, or sue them.

But so far I don't think anyone is charging a rate up front, just percentages. (correct me if I'm wrong) And I'm pretty sure the authors will be using their own Creator's Club accounts, which would keep it as no cost to bands.