Rory Gallagher?

classicrockdudeclassicrockdude Headliner
edited June 2010 in History of Rock
Anybody else a fan of him? He's my favorite guitarist, but is very underrated.

Comments

• a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited August 2009
  • classicrockdudeclassicrockdude Headliner
    edited August 2009
    a21schizoidman;2930796 said:
    i am
    cool:)
    edited August 2009
    i've stated it several times now though, so it shouldn't be news
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited August 2009
    Rory Gallagher was ****in' AWESOME. Best Guitarist You've Never Heard Of. Dunno how hard it would be to get masters, but even the most jaded plastic guitarist out there NEEDS to fail out (big time) on an RB/GH solo of "Bullfrog Blues" to be severely humbled.
  • EvilbottomEvilbottom Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    Recommend me some albums. I wanna check him out.
  • classicrockdudeclassicrockdude Headliner
    edited August 2009
    Evilbottom;2933105 said:
    For his solo career, Tatoo is my favorite, But Calling Card is also incredible. But for Taste, their debut is a great album
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited August 2009
    edited August 2009
    Evilbottom;2933105 said:
    just get Irish Tour
  • RorycatRorycat Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    Absolutely - a big fan!
  • LaLimonadaLaLimonada Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    Irish Tour, pretty nifty.

Walkin' on Hot Coals, so nice.
  • bjyaritzbjyaritz Road Warrior
    edited March 2010
    I think he is one of the all-time most talented guitar players. And not only does he play great but is an awesome vocalist and all around performer. We need some Gallagher in Rock Band. Hopefully this St. Patty's We get some and not just Lady Gaga.
  • MichaelMcGrathMichaelMcGrath Unsigned
    edited June 2010
    classicrockdude;2930778 said:
    Anybody else a fan of him? He's my favorite guitarist, but is very underrated.
    Rory is my favourite too .
    I think he's underrated for several reasons :
    1. He confined himself mostly to Blues-Rock and didn't give himself a chance .
    2. It would have helped if he were from USA or UK , rather than Ireland - there was a firm belief in the industry that Ireland was Lullaby Fairyland , and therefore couldn't produce rock musicans , when Rory ( and some others ) were emerging in the Sixties - this myth wasn't broken until Phil Lynott and Thin Lizzie smashed it circa 1974 .
    This myth is sent up / fabulously in Zimmerman's " What If The Beatles Were Irish ? ' Youtube vid . Google it - you have my permission , I'm Irish , it's fabulously funny , had me in stitches .

You had some of the best R & B players in Dublin from late 1964 on , but they felt left out of it , so didn't have the confidence to write their own material , felt remote , so they just played all covers night after night at such fab venues as Sound City , in a cellar , modelled on The Cavern in Liverpool, at Burgh Quay in Dublin City centre.

BUT all the ballrooms of Dublin and Ireland had these ' Showbands ' spouting out American Country & Western ( It was a pain to lhave to listen to some of them , and even the best of them with a few exceptions , never came near the American originals they copied ( dozens of which were out-and-out world beaters , even conquering Swinging Sixties London ) .

All this lack of confidence in themselves ' drove the music down' in Ireland as Rory began to emerge . Where rock was concerned , Sixties Ireland was like an isolated U.S. Cavalry fort in the Wild West , that's how it seemed to some of us . 99 percent of the women were in the ballrooms of Ireland, herded in like cattle to a Marriage Mart as the awful showbands , about a thousand of them , blared out Fifties crooners, dreadful C & W , ballads, Celilmusic, ' hopalong skip hop etc. This is the world I remember, this is the Ireland Rory emerged as an artist into ( Ironically training in a showband ! )

Though a lethal performer on stage , there was nothing controversial about Rory . Even when he died , he had no girlfriend except a friend girl he knew from school . ( He had no boyfriends either - THAT would have made him controversial , but also have gotten him sentenced to years in prison , as it was a serious crime in the Holy Catholic Ireland of that era . Rory never went around with an actress or a model on his arm , he just wasn't like that , though he was good-looking , and could have had scores of supermodels , actresses etc ., like Mick Jagger , no problem at all .

And I could never find a female follower of Rory , though there were enough , I imagine , almost all his followers were male , his best followers were fellow musicians .

Most Irish rockers didn't want to limit themselves to Rory's blues songs , it could get terribly boring to have to listen to hours of it , and nothing else . To be a ' real' Rory Gallagher fan , for instance , you'd be scorned by your fellows if you expressed any interest at all in Pop Rock, which is exactly what The Beatles and Stones , Status Quo ( who were sneered at as ' three-chord merchants ' by Gallagher fans , in fact they were and are fine rock guitar men , Rossi is outstanding ! ) . were pouring forth onto the mass market .

Rory thus was driven into a corner - and proceeded to drive himself into an even narrower corner . And even worse , he had a dry little Irish boy image in the few interviews he bothered to give, he considered himself above it all ( but not above anybody ) - and yes, he was, as a guitarist probably amongst the best ever , as a perfomer on strage , fabulous . And then he tried to change his accent to an English one when he arrived in London, and got stuck with an almost German-sounding clipped accent , it was an embarrassment to us , awful ! Not the actual German accent , I hasten to add , that I like , but this awful belonging-to-nowhere accent . His natural Irish accent was free flowing and fabulous .

I think that's enough reasons .

Rory , to my mind , is only matched by Mark Knopfels today as a guitarist , but Mark is not as good a stage performer . Rory on stage was and looked the most magnificent guitarist of his - and my - time . Bless him forever .

Michael McGrath,
    Kilkenny City, Ireland .
  • LightningBoltLightningBolt Opening Act
    edited June 2010
    I think Rory Gallagher is fantastic! Irish Tour '74 is fantastic. "A Million Miles Away" is one of my favorite songs.

EDIT: Oh schnap, this thread is old.
This discussion has been closed.