3 mics REQUIRED for 3 part harmony?

knoodleknoodle Unsigned
edited February 2012 in The Beatles: Rock Band
I've searched the forums and haven't found a solid answer on this. Are 3 mics required for 3 part harmony? Or can you have say 2 mics and someone singing the lead in one mic and two people singing background harmonies into the other mic (which may make for some fun game/roleplay)?

I'm sure like most, I've got a lot of RB/GH equipment around including 2 mics and I'm wondering if I absolutely NEED to buy a third for this game or not. If so, I'll probably get the whole LE bundle but if not, I'll just get the game.

Comments

• colahead420colahead420 Opening Act
    edited August 2009
  • harveyglobetrotharveyglobetrot Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    knoodle;2933428 said:
    I'm sure like most, I've got a lot of RB/GH equipment around including 2 mics and I'm wondering if I absolutely NEED to buy a third for this game or not. If so, I'll probably get the whole LE bundle but if not, I'll just get the game.
    That's an awfully expensive USB microphone you are buying. USB microphones are widely available and pretty cheap.I mean, if you need/want the Hofner and drums, then buying the whole seems reasonable, but to solely get the LE bundle for the mic seems a bit excessive.

/twocents
  • foolosophyfoolosophy Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    It would be virtually impossible for one microphone to register 2 vocalists properly. You'd need a more expensive microphone for that.
  • knoodleknoodle Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    The mic isn't the ONLY reason, it would be a tipping point reason since I also would like the Hofner bass which isn't being sold separately and my RB1 drums could use an upgrade as well as the mic and mic stand since we'll be playing and singing at the same time.
  • guerrier1guerrier1 Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    but,

Can you play the game with two microphones (one for lead and one backup)??
    Do I need 2 people to do backup vocals or only one?
  • foolosophyfoolosophy Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    guerrier1;2934571 said:
    but,

You can have anywhere from 1, 2 and 3 vocalists.
  • edited August 2009
    If you want to sing three part harmonies you'll need three mics (one for each singer). Any person can sing any harmony line they'd like though - and you can jump around, you're not restricted to one part.

You can also have three people sing a "solo" song all together.

You can play the game with one singer, two singers, or three - totally up to you.
  • dabrry0523dabrry0523 Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    guerrier1;2934571 said:
    but,

you cna have as many or as few singers as you want.When you click the song then players when you go to the mic section it then asks you difficulty then all you do is select either the Melody Line or Harmonies which includes melody. then when the song loads you look at the top and you see three lines when there is the three parts and you can pick any line and sing it like i can be a soloist and be singing the Harmony lines

and no i do not have the game already just did the demo at Best Buy
  • rayrox222rayrox222 Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    dabrry0523;2934595 said:
    you cna have as many or as few singers as you want.When you click the song then players when you go to the mic section it then asks you difficulty then all you do is select either the Melody Line or Harmonies which includes melody. then when the song loads you look at the top and you see three lines when there is the three parts and you can pick any line and sing it like i can be a soloist and be singing the Harmony lines

and no i do not have the game already just did the demo at Best Buy
    This confuses me slightly. I mean doesn't it basically mean a single player singing should always play with both melody and harmony turned on so if he misses the melody note his pitch may be under it and nail the harmony just by accident and get a full score with that? It would make more sense to me if a person on a microphone picked harmony or melody and then had to stick to that the entire song and not be able to switch between the two.

But to answer my question in short, a single player vocalist can just sing harmony and doesn't have to do melody, right? That is what I'm hoping for. A friend of mine always wanted in RB2 to sing harmony for a number of songs and was disappointed that melody was always forced on the singer.

Another question . . . from what I've read, best deal for 2 extra mics is the Singstar 2 mic package because the mics share one USB port and you can get 2 for about $20 and they're compatible with TB: RB. Now my question is does anyone know where one can buy a cheap mic stand for 2 mics? I'd be interested in finding something like that as in most cases with 3 singers, two of them would be singing harmony as well as playing an instrument so a stand would be necessary!
  • theINCtheINC Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    rayrox222;2957500 said:

But to answer my question in short, a single player vocalist can just sing harmony and doesn't have to do melody, right? That is what I'm hoping for. A friend of mine always wanted in RB2 to sing harmony for a number of songs and was disappointed that melody was always forced on the singer.

We don't really know yet. I have reason to believe that in single player mode, you'll only be presented with a lead vocal chart that might include elements of the harmony vocals (for example, in With A Little Help From My Friends, they would chart the "Do you believe in love at first sight?" question/answer bits, even though they are from the harmony line).

However, if you are playing in a band, at least one person must be on the lead vocal at all times. If you have 2 vocalists, then your second can match either harmony line (in songs with 3 vocal lines) or the main vocal, and with 3 vocalists, you can either all sing the vocal line, have them match one harmony, or match both harmonies. Not all songs have harmonies though (see Can't Buy Me Love amongst others) so in those cases, 3 vocalists sing one vocal line.
    Another question . . . from what I've read, best deal for 2 extra mics is the Singstar 2 mic package because the mics share one USB port and you can get 2 for about $20 and they're compatible with TB: RB. Now my question is does anyone know where one can buy a cheap mic stand for 2 mics? I'd be interested in finding something like that as in most cases with 3 singers, two of them would be singing harmony as well as playing an instrument so a stand would be necessary!
    You need 2 mic stands for 2 mics. They don't make mike stands for 2 microphones.
    Go to a music shop, and try to get a cheap boom mic stand - these have a part of the arm that keeps the mic stand away from the mic and your body - this is necessary if you want to drum and sing at the same time, and makes it a helluva lot easier if you're guitaring.
  • OddbrotherOddbrother Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    A 6 or 7-port USB hub and three wired microphones are affordable enough, more than the bundle or any wireless stuff, at least.
  • Super BassSuper Bass Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    Think of your question this way:

"Can I play a vocal score duel locally with a friend using only one microphone?"

Yeah, didn't think so. You would need a mircophone for each person singing. ;)

So, in the case of TB:RB:

One mic for one part.
    Two mics for two parts.
    Three mics for three parts.

And none of the mics are assigned to ONLY one part, so you can switch things up with friends on the fly.

Now, if you have a game headset, then you can use that as your "third" microphone (if you're on Xbox or PS3). If you're on Wii, then you'd have to get another mic.

Unless you DESPERATELY want that Hofner, you can just order the "Special Value Bundle" and find a mic stand at a music store or on Ebay. If you don't have RB2 (or you want a backup copy/code for the 20 free songs), you can get the bundle for $99 in most places now, and buy TB:RB seperately. If you purchase either of those two bundle, you'll have an extra mic and guitar (if the Hofner "look" isn't TOO important), newer drums and a USB hub that comes with the bundles.

So to simply answer your question:

If you think you have enough music game equipment, just use a headset or buy an additional USB mic, a USB hub and TB:RB disc. If you want newer instruments, then purchase one of the RB bundles (the RB2 bundle costs less than purchasing instruments individually) and buy a seperate mic stand if needed.
  • dabulgedabulge Unsigned
    edited February 2012
    can you use a wireless xbox live mic to use for one of those mics, or use something other than the mics given?
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited February 2012
    No. You need three USB mics.
  • exup35exup35 Opening Act
    edited February 2012
    beatles rock band bundled with 2 singstar mics (one USB) is still available in some shops in the UK