Let me get this straight

SnitskySnitsky Road Warrior
edited August 2009 in The Rock Band Network
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/27/impressions-rock-band-network-creation/

By the looks of this article , the program to make charts for songs will be available for everyone?

Meaning that any and everyone with RB2 can make charts for songs on their hard drive?

While this doesn't nessicarily mean random peoples charts for songs they like will be passed and put onto RBN as DLC (Due to legal issues) Am I right that anyone can make charts for songs on their hard drive and play them themselves? Yes? No?
Within seconds, it's clear that Rock Band Network isn't for amateurs. The tools being offered by Harmonix are fully-featured, professional programs that are meant for artists serious about getting their content into Rock Band and, yes, making money. With Harmonix admitting that first-time users will take 20-40 hours to finish a single song "all the way," it's clear that this isn't meant for the average gamers that have a bit of spare time on their hands
But can we not just take I don't know , 2-5 hours to only make the expert charts for drums and guitar? Then play it only on our own and not upload it to RBN?

Comments

• Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited August 2009
    I'm pretty sure you need to pay the $99 XNA fee to get the tools to chart songs. And even then you wouldn't be able to make note charts for songs on your hard drive. Pretty sure they need to be a 4-track and have to be your own created music, not another band's.
  • DanB91DanB91 Rising Star
    edited August 2009
    i believe the plug-ins for reaper and magma is free but you need the XNA subscription to upload it to RBN
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited August 2009
    Oscar-Rio;2948994 said:
    I'm pretty sure you need to pay the $99 XNA fee to get the tools to chart songs. And even then you wouldn't be able to make note charts for songs on your hard drive. Pretty sure they need to be a 4-track and have to be your own created music, not another band's.
    Reaper and Magma are available for free (although Reaper is trialware and you'll need to pony up the $60 to have it last beyond a month); the $99 fee is to gain the ability to audition and have the creations peer-reviewed.

In other words, without the $99 fee, you won't be able to play any tracks you've labored on. Without proper stems, you won't have backing tracks to play, either.

Really, the effort required to play proper, popular songs without having to buy them is so strenuous there's no point in even trying. (If you wanted Led Zeppelin, you'd need to figure out how to get the stems first, which would already be crazy.)
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited August 2009
    You also need the master tracks.

You can't just rip a song from Metallica to your computer and then make it into a RB track.
  • SnitskySnitsky Road Warrior
    edited August 2009
    Hmm ok

This is a bit dissapointing but since I've heard that several bands I like are supposedly interested in RBN I'm still glad about RBN