Comments

• davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited August 2009
    geo2n2;2968752 said:
    Fall? Yikes. It used to be summer. If true that could mean it's still a long ways off.
    Considering that a recent interview said the Audition Mode patch should be out in October, and the RBN Store will go live in November, it's not that far off. :)
    edited August 2009
    geo2n2;2968752 said:
    Fall? Yikes. It used to be summer. If true that could mean it's still a long ways off.
    Current rumor is mid September which would be right on that summer/fall border.
  • SHPhr34kSHPhr34k Opening Act
    edited August 2009
    The end of summer thing was for when Open Beta begins.
  • packerfan8675309packerfan8675309 Bladder of Steal
    edited August 2009
    Did I mention everything is color coded?
  • Sound_IMPSound_IMP Unsigned
    edited August 2009
    Super informative stuff, only tough part is the open bata seeming to get push backed. Harmonix is making me so happy and sad at the same time. You're like "the hot ex-girlfriend that does that thing with her tongue" of game developers. :D
  • AKALinkAKALink Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Tracking tempo by measure is probably the best thing to happen since pre-shredded cheese. The text file import and auto lip sync is awesome too BTW. Least now I have no worries on charting some of my music that is played without a metronome.
  • SwordofWhedonSwordofWhedon Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    How about letting us into that Wiki so that those of us who are behind all the lucky guys in the closed beta can get up to speed as fast as possible?
  • asiansteevasiansteev Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    SwordofWhedon;2972645 said:
    How about letting us into that Wiki so that those of us who are behind all the lucky guys in the closed beta can get up to speed as fast as possible?
    this. a million times over, this.
    edited September 2009
    SwordofWhedon;2972645 said:
    The Wiki is part of the closed beta. You'll be able to get into it once all the final touches/changes have been made. Meaning: When the Open Beta starts. :)
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    ~1:55 "Reaper can auto-assign notes for some of the harder parts."

So, if I feel lazy, I can make Reaper make up the solo? Laaaaaaaaammmmmmmeeeeee

P.S. Is the authoring suite available on Mac?
  • YRDaddyYRDaddy Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    ThePaska;2968793 said:
    Watched all 3 parts.
    Where are parts 2 and 3? Searched the site but only part1 from the original link was available.
  • socrstoprsocrstopr Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    DavyinaToga;2973327 said:
    ~1:55 "Reaper can auto-assign notes for some of the harder parts."

So, if I feel lazy, I can make Reaper make up the solo? Laaaaaaaaammmmmmmeeeeee

P.S. Is the authoring suite available on Mac?
    Not harder as in harder sections of songs, but more-so the harder things to learn at first. Reaper will not be authoring your guitar solos for you :p

And yes, authoring tools are available for Macs, but you won't be able to audition anything without windows and Magma synced up to your 360.
    edited September 2009
    The Wiki is part of the closed beta. You'll be able to get into it once all the final touches/changes have been made. Meaning: When the Open Beta starts.
    From the look of the video, it's just on a website. Why can't read-only access be given to the public?

Seriously, it's highly frustrating that other people are being given such a gigantic head start over the rest of us. I have a tour coming through around the same time as the store is going to open. So instead of having 2-3 months like the Rythm Authors people for example, I'm going to have more like 2-3 weeks to get songs charted and into peer review/approval if we're looking at an october open beta now. I have pro-level experience in music and video, just not the experience doing this specifically.I'd rather read an in-progress manual now and go back later.

See where I'm coming from?
  • socrstoprsocrstopr Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    SwordofWhedon;2973697 said:
    From the look of the video, it's just on a website. Why can't read-only access be given to the public?
    Because, as has been stated, the docs are not finalized and are being updated as a part of the closed beta, and as far as I know HMX would like things to be closer to perfect once made available :)
    SwordofWhedon;2973697 said:
    Seriously, it's highly frustrating that other people are being given such a gigantic head start over the rest of us. I have a tour coming through around the same time as the store is going to open. So instead of having 2-3 months like the Rythm Authors people for example, I'm going to have more like 2-3 weeks to get songs charted and into peer review/approval if we're looking at an october open beta now. I have pro-level experience in music and video, just not the experience doing this specifically.I'd rather read an in-progress manual now and go back later.

See where I'm coming from?
    While that is an unfortunate bit of luck for you, it's pretty much luck that got most of us into the beta in the first place. HMX wanted to bring in people who could help test things out and work out all the kinks before things go public, and they tapped their resources to find these people. Yes it's true that some of us are gaining a large advantage in having this extra time to learn the system and get content ready, but at the same time this is necessary for RBN to launch properly. Without content populated and an outside view of everything, the system would end up rather buggy once opened up to the public, and things would be very hectic.

So while I see where you are coming from and understand your points, it saddens me to see such a negative attitude against the groups like us, who are really just trying to help things move along more smoothly. (I'd also like to state that this post contains my personal opinions on this matter and not necessarily those of other Rhythm Authors members. Just in case, :p, etc)
  • yaniv297yaniv297 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    man, that was really informative and interesting. be sure to watch all 3 parts, they're great.
    edited September 2009
    So while I see where you are coming from and understand your points, it saddens me to see such a negative attitude against the groups like us, who are really just trying to help things move along more smoothly. (I'd also like to state that this post contains my personal opinions on this matter and not necessarily those of other Rhythm Authors members. Just in case, , etc)
    It's not a negative attitude any more than competition in any other industry would be, when that competition gets the ability to move 3 months-ish early. By the time I split with my partner I'm seeing 15 cents a track here. I seriously doubt we're looking to serve the same client base either. I hate waiting for things I can have now with no negative impact to anyone, especially when I'm looking at a crunch deadline and having to do a ton of the work in hotel rooms because one or both of us is going to be out of the country for much of October (and I don't have a portable synth that fits in my luggage for input). I want to "help move things along" too.

So seriously, what harm is it letting people look at a work in progress manual?
    edited September 2009
    SwordofWhedon;2974428 said:
    Name me one other company that does that. Did Roland release the draft versions of the manual for their new TD-20X module before it was finished? Of course not.

Technical documentation needs to be completed before it is released to the public. Every company in the world does that.
    edited September 2009
    SwordofWhedon;2974428 said:
    It's not a negative attitude any more than competition in any other industry would be, when that competition gets the ability to move 3 months-ish early. By the time I split with my partner I'm seeing 15 cents a track here. I seriously doubt we're looking to serve the same client base either. I hate waiting for things I can have now with no negative impact to anyone, especially when I'm looking at a crunch deadline and having to do a ton of the work in hotel rooms because one or both of us is going to be out of the country for much of October (and I don't have a portable synth that fits in my luggage for input). I want to "help move things along" too.

I agree with you 100%. It's not frustration at the groups that got into the closed Beta, I'd have been ecstatic to be part of the chosen few. It's frustration that all the other groups and record labels are going to have 20+ songs ready when the RBN store opens, and I'll be scrambling to get 5 or so ready for the opening. That first week is going to be like Christmas for sales because everyone is going to be wanting to check out the new store. It would be nice to have something to work with for now. Yeah, I can plot midi gems in the mean time, but when the beta is opened up, there's no telling how hard it will be to transfer the midi over to the correct track.
    Let's just say that between October and November, I guarantee I'll have less than 4 hrs of sleep per night.
    (BTW, Harmonix, I have over 5 years of software development and QA experience... I know what goes into a good testing cycle. I can log the crap out of some quality bugs. Feel free to add me to the closed beta, I can add a lot of value. ;))
    edited September 2009
    Name me one other company that does that. Did Roland release the draft versions of the manual for their new TD-20X module before it was finished? Of course not.

Technical documentation needs to be completed before it is released to the public. Every company in the world does that.
    This is a Wiki, not a technical document. It's never "done".

Manuals for electronics are frequently available well in advance of a product shipping. Honestly what these responses sound like, though I doubt it's intentional is "we got there first, stop trying to horn in on our action". All I want to do is start working on the bloody songs. If I can do stuff like "play" in my vocals now. I want to do that. If I can tempo map my songs, I want to do that. Everything I can do in advance I want to do

Why is this so wrong? All I'm doing is making a request hoping to help the powers that be understand that people outside the closed beta are frustrated, and like the guy above said, those first few weeks are going to be Christmas. Testing with capable people is important, but so is leveling the playing field in the community a bit to keep things smooth.
    edited September 2009
    asiansteev;2975209 said:
    It's frustration that all the other groups and record labels are going to have 20+ songs ready when the RBN store opens, and I'll be scrambling to get 5 or so ready for the opening
    I wouldn't worry too much about that. The RBN Store is not opening at the same time as the Open Beta. It will probably be at least a month in Open Beta before anybody can actually buy any songs. So you've got plenty of time to get your songs authored and in the store before it opens. :)
    edited September 2009
    davidshek;2975217 said:
    I wouldn't worry too much about that. The RBN Store is not opening at the same time as the Open Beta. It will probably be at least a month in Open Beta before anybody can actually buy any songs. So you've got plenty of time to get your songs authored and in the store before it opens. :)
    What I mean is that given the time, I could have 20+ songs from a breadth of artists and genres, but I estimate that I'll only be able to author 5ish tracks and have them reviewed in the month between open beta and the store opening.
  • BillyBlaze314BillyBlaze314 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I feel the frustration too. I don't see what the harm would be to make the wiki available with a great big disclaimer that the documentation is a work in progress and subject to change and that the tools will not be available until the public beta.
  • xXZeroOverrideXxxXZeroOverrideXx Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Thanks for the post. :D
  • edited September 2009
    We're planning on making the RBN Wiki available before Open Beta begins. We're currently collecting feedback from our small Closed Beta to prepare the Wiki for the public.
    edited September 2009
    HMXEnosity;2978603 said:
    We're planning on making the RBN Wiki available before Open Beta begins. We're currently collecting feedback from our small Closed Beta to prepare the Wiki for the public.
    That would be incredibly useful. Thank you so much.
    edited September 2009
    Much appreciated, thank you!
  • Ferocious QFerocious Q Headliner
    edited September 2009
    i believe the patch will drop sometime this month