Post-Rock Genre

ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
edited September 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Why is there no Post-Rock in the RBN genre list? (At least I didn't see it in the new GT video).

I'm so hoping for some Post-Rock songs through RBN (since we're not getting it with the regular RB DLC), but it will be difficult to find them if they are somewhere under Alternative.

Comments

  • edited August 2009
    There is one.
  • tridentgum0tridentgum0 Uninteresting Poster
    edited August 2009
    I'm sure you mean post-rock movement. ;)
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited August 2009
    tridentgum0;2968168 said:
    I'm sure you mean post-rock movement. ;)
    Oh, you.
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited September 2009
    HMXEnosity;2968088 said:
    There is one.
    Really!?? Yeeeees. :D

    Thank you, I can't wait for RBN.
  • edited September 2009
    Coldplayer;2984401 said:
    Really!??
    Yes Indeed. It's a sub-genre to Indie Rock I believe.
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited September 2009
    HMXEnosity;2984625 said:
    Yes Indeed. It's a sub-genre to Indie Rock I believe.
    There are sub genres? Cool thing. Don't know if Post-Rock should be a sub genre of Indie Rock (maybe Alternative), but who cares, it's there, that's all that matters. :)
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    Coldplayer;2986086 said:
    There are sub genres? Cool thing. Don't know if Post-Rock should be a sub genre of Indie Rock (maybe Alternative), but who cares, it's there, that's all that matters. :)
    i'm pretty sure indie rock is also an alternative subgenre. :)

    i've contacted a few post-rock bands. hopefully we'll see something sooner than later. ;)
  • edited September 2009
    yup, For RBN songs we added a bunch of sub-genres lists under each main RB2 genre.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited September 2009
    If we download a song listed under the post-rock subgenre on the RBN, will it also be sorted under a post-rock category on the quickplay list?
  • I_Use_ShamwowsI_Use_Shamwows Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    **** year, I hope we can get Slint on the RBN, despite them breaking up over a decade ago.
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited September 2009
    Runesmith;2988317 said:
    If we download a song listed under the post-rock subgenre on the RBN, will it also be sorted under a post-rock category on the quickplay list?
    Interesting question. I think it will.
  • Lameboy19Lameboy19 Headliner
    edited September 2009
    does this mean I can get mah GY!BE???

    probably not
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited September 2009
    Lameboy19;2998516 said:
    does this mean I can get mah GY!BE???

    probably not
    Since the max lenght of a song is 10min, I don't think so. :p
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    Coldplayer;2998976 said:
    Since the max lenght of a song is 10min, I don't think so. :p
    not to mention the band would probably never consent, no matter what.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    Coldplayer;2998976 said:
    Since the max lenght of a song is 10min, I don't think so. :p
    not exactly DYFLWD (Live) is 13 Minutes and Abbey Road Medley is 16 Minutes

    We could see some Battles maybe and if someone contacts Lost Children Net Label I am pretty sure they would put some more Post Rock bands on RBN :)
  • jayou521jayou521 Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    Fizzeler;2999364 said:
    not exactly DYFLWD (Live) is 13 Minutes and Abbey Road Medley is 16 Minutes

    We could see some Battles maybe and if someone contacts Lost Children Net Label I am pretty sure they would put some more Post Rock bands on RBN :)
    Songs released via RBN can only be up to 10 minutes in length.

    I'm also hoping to see some tracks from Battles make it in~
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited September 2009
    afterstasis;2999069 said:
    not to mention the band would probably never consent, no matter what.
    That is unfortunately true, as stupid as I find their viewpoint to be.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    Runesmith;2999458 said:
    That is unfortunately true, as stupid as I find their viewpoint to be.
    i can find no fault at all with their viewpoints and am personally quite envious of the incredibly high quality, yet extremely DIY approach they've taken with their music, record label, venue, and so on.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited September 2009
    GY!BE is one of those bands whose music I wouldn't want to be bastardized into little colored rectangles. I love Rock Band and I love GY!BE, but I absolutely wouldn't want them to be in the game under any circumstances. If there was any GY!BE DLC, I most certainly wouldn't download it, even if they edited the length to make it under 10 minutes. Now stuff like Battles and Tortoise, that's a different story...
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited September 2009
    afterstasis;2999690 said:
    i can find no fault at all with their viewpoints and am personally quite envious of the incredibly high quality, yet extremely DIY approach they've taken with their music, record label, venue, and so on.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree, then. :p
  • xxRaenxxRaen Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I'm hoping some more Post Metal bands end up showing up on RBN, such as Isis, Cult of Luna, or Russian Circles. Not all their songs could be done due to the 10 minute limit, but a good amount of them could.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    Here's to hoping for God Is An Astronaut.
  • EaglesBecomeVulturesEaglesBecomeVultures Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    xxRaen;3000523 said:
    Russian Circles
    Yyyeeeeeessssssssssssss.
  • HibernerToujoursHibernerToujours Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    What about Hammock?I'm Helios? I'm not too sure about actually Post-Rock bands that would fit into the RB system, like a lot use computers and stretch noises, it might be difficult. Plus being a vocalist, a lot of the post rock I'm familiar with wouldn't be too kind to me, considering they normally don't have vocalists.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    HibernerToujours;3062753 said:
    What about Hammock?I'm Helios? I'm not too sure about actually Post-Rock bands that would fit into the RB system, like a lot use computers and stretch noises, it might be difficult. Plus being a vocalist, a lot of the post rock I'm familiar with wouldn't be too kind to me, considering they normally don't have vocalists.
    stretch noises? :confused:
  • HibernerToujoursHibernerToujours Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    afterstasis;3062761 said:
    stretch noises? :confused:
    Kind of like... they get a guitar playing and kind of make weird space sounding noises by just stretching out a note on guitar with a computer. it's just like manipulating it. Kind of like so it has that wall-of-sound noise that Shoegaze bands do but not so loud.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    HibernerToujours;3062791 said:
    Kind of like... they get a guitar playing and kind of make weird space sounding noises by just stretching out a note on guitar with a computer. it's just like manipulating it. Kind of like so it has that wall-of-sound noise that Shoegaze bands do but not so loud.
    i think most of what you're hearing is just guitarists looping swells...
    i wouldn't be surprised if quite a few really small bedroom projects use programs like paulstretch to get a similar effect, but most bands with even a somewhat established sound will likely use feedback loops or a few delay pedals.

    either way, you're right in that many post-rock bands would be a bit dull to play but there are some that would be fantastic (even if one or two instruments aren't a total blast).
  • HibernerToujoursHibernerToujours Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    afterstasis;3062800 said:
    i think most of what you're hearing is just guitarists looping swells...
    i wouldn't be surprised if quite a few really small bedroom projects use programs like paulstretch to get a similar effect, but most bands with even a somewhat established sound will likely use feedback loops or a few delay pedals.

    either way, you're right in that many post-rock bands would be a bit dull to play but there are some that would be fantastic (even if one or two instruments aren't a total blast).
    Yeah true true. To be honest a lot of the songs on rock band ARE not a blast on some instruments *coughsowatchawantcough* but there there for a reason: they sound good. So yeah it would be pretty sweet to get some Post-Rock on here.
  • Lady SiaraLady Siara Metal Maiden
    edited September 2009
    Is there some sort of master list that has all the genres RBN categorizes anywhere?
  • Nuff_SaidNuff_Said Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Crippled Black Phoenix would be a nice addition.
Sign In or Register to comment.