Who do you want to see in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

mjlambert1mjlambert1 Road Warrior
edited September 2009 in History of Rock
I know there are artists/individuals that should be in the R&RHF but aren't. Who do you think should be inducted and why? (Try to limit it to 3)

My Picks:
King Crimson - Probably the greatest Prog Rock act and overshadows the likes of Yes and Genesis. Also, members of this band would also be involved in Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Asia, Bad Company, etc. In addition, Robert Fripp is without peer in his guitar work.

Robert Moog - The inventor of the Moog synthesizer. His instrument has been pivotal to the sound of Genesis, Yes, ELP, The Rentals, etc. Also, his instrument was key to the film score for the classic, A Clockwork Orange.

Big Mama Thornton - Without her, there would be no Janis Joplin or any other female vocal powerhouses.

Comments

  • NormanCoxwellNormanCoxwell Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Ha just kidding but seriously, Rush.
  • ChainedsoulzChainedsoulz Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    I agree with Rush, its overdue.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited September 2009
  • Mystlyfe77Mystlyfe77 Big Fan
    edited September 2009
    I was going to originally just trash the HoF for being a complete joke (it is), then I was impressed by the OP's selections. Good picks.
  • Rocket2RussiaRocket2Russia Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    As useless as the HoF is, I'd third the motion to get Rush inducted, if just for the sake of being able to say that they're in an official Hall of Fame, no matter how ridiculous.
  • californicationcalifornication Opening Act
    edited September 2009
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited September 2009
    I'll only list bands that are in contention now for membership, and only bigger names (I'd love to list dozens of bands that I can't see getting in, but it'd be a waste):
    Moody Blues
    Deep Purple
    Judas Priest
    Iron Maiden
    Tommy James and the Shondells
    King Crimson
    Electric Light Orchestra
    MC5
    The Stooges
    Procol Harum
    Toots & The Maytals

    In any case, here's what I think about the Hall itself.
    The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a pretty neat museum, if you ask me. If you're a sucker for historical memorabilia like me, and enjoy rock, it's nice to go see that stuff. However, the voting process is a complete sham, with the entire nomination stage controlled by one or two people (Jann Werner) who can't get past personal preferences to see the influence certain bands have. The fact that it took so long to get Black Sabbath in the Hall attests to this. Without a massive overhaul to the Hall's induction system, the whole thing becomes extremely flawed.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    ill go with the usuals:Rush,Deep Purple,etc.
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited September 2009
    mjlambert1;2983178 said:
    King Crimson - Probably the greatest Prog Rock act and overshadows the likes of Yes and Genesis. Also, members of this band would also be involved in Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Asia, Bad Company, etc. In addition, Robert Fripp is without peer in his guitar work.

    Robert Moog - The inventor of the Moog synthesizer. His instrument has been pivotal to the sound of Genesis, Yes, ELP, The Rentals, etc. Also, his instrument was key to the film score for the classic, A Clockwork Orange.

    Big Mama Thornton - Without her, there would be no Janis Joplin or any other female vocal powerhouses.
    I agree with all of these.
  • californicationcalifornication Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    clashcityrocker10;2983865 said:
    I'll only list bands that are in contention now for membership, and only bigger names (I'd love to list dozens of bands that I can't see getting in, but it'd be a waste):
    Moody Blues
    Deep Purple
    Judas Priest
    Iron Maiden
    Tommy James and the Shondells
    King Crimson
    Electric Light Orchestra
    MC5
    The Stooges
    Procol Harum
    Toots & The Maytals

    In any case, here's what I think about the Hall itself.
    The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a pretty neat museum, if you ask me. If you're a sucker for historical memorabilia like me, and enjoy rock, it's nice to go see that stuff. However, the voting process is a complete sham, with the entire nomination stage controlled by one or two people (Jann Werner) who can't get past personal preferences to see the influence certain bands have. The fact that it took so long to get Black Sabbath in the Hall attests to this. Without a massive overhaul to the Hall's induction system, the whole thing becomes extremely flawed.
    I agree 100% with this post.
  • 40FootWolf40FootWolf Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    To reiterate what a lot of people have already said:

    Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, King Crimson, and as a curveball, The Replacements. And Genesis, if they aren't already.
  • NormanCoxwellNormanCoxwell Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    clashcityrocker10;2983865 said:
    I'll only list bands that are in contention now for membership, and only bigger names (I'd love to list dozens of bands that I can't see getting in, but it'd be a waste):
    Moody Blues
    Deep Purple
    Judas Priest
    Iron Maiden
    Tommy James and the Shondells
    King Crimson
    Electric Light Orchestra
    MC5
    The Stooges
    Procol Harum
    Toots & The Maytals

    In any case, here's what I think about the Hall itself.
    The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a pretty neat museum, if you ask me. If you're a sucker for historical memorabilia like me, and enjoy rock, it's nice to go see that stuff. However, the voting process is a complete sham, with the entire nomination stage controlled by one or two people (Jann Werner) who can't get past personal preferences to see the influence certain bands have. The fact that it took so long to get Black Sabbath in the Hall attests to this. Without a massive overhaul to the Hall's induction system, the whole thing becomes extremely flawed.
    The Moody Blues arent in? They were like revolutionary or whatever. Man that's such a waste! How the HELL did Run DMC and Metallica get in but not them!?! Good lord the people there are sloppy. All those bands should be in. 100%.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    40FootWolf;2983948 said:
    To reiterate what a lot of people have already said:

    Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, King Crimson, and as a curveball, The Replacements. And Genesis, if they aren't already.
    WHOA. How are they not in already?! and for that matter,how the hell are Deep Purple not in?! they made one of the most recognized rock songs of all time!
  • rowtheboatrowtheboat Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Deep Purple
    Judas Priest
    Iron Maiden
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    Agree with:

    Rush
    Robert Moog
    King Crimson
    ELO
    Deep Purple
    Moody Blues
    The Stooges

    I'd add:

    Dick Dale --- one of the most influential guitarists ever; practically invented his own genre
    Alice Cooper -- C'MON!
    Genesis -- in their own right, and also for spawning two mammoth solo careers (Gabriel and Collins) and a successful spinoff band (Mike and the Mechanics)
    Heart -- just because the HoF needs to recognize more female contributors to rock history
    KISS -- My god, how is KISS not in the HoF?
    Steve Miller Band -- why not?
    Donna Summer -- she ruled a genre AND a decade; one of the original Divas
    Tina Turner -- THE original Diva.
    Yes -- C'MON!
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    joy division. Just joy division. they can close it afterwards for all I care. I like the OP's picks, though. Without moog, I would be nothing.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited September 2009
    NormanCoxwell;2983968 said:
    The Moody Blues arent in? They were like revolutionary or whatever. Man that's such a waste! How the HELL did Run DMC and Metallica get in but not them!?! Good lord the people there are sloppy. All those bands should be in. 100%.
    Nope, Moody Blues aren't in yet.

    To people saying bands such as The Replacements and Joy Division should get in: I agree absolutely. However, it's never going to happen.
  • seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Deep Purple
    Alice Cooper
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Scorpions
    UFO
    Thin Lizzy

    The fact that Metallica has made it in before any of these is sickening,
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    Soror_YZBL;2984789 said:
    joy division. Just joy division. they can close it afterwards for all I care. I like the OP's picks, though. Without moog, I would be nothing.
    I luh-huv Joy Division, but I'd say odds are very slim that they'll ever get in the RRHOF with just two albums and no hit singles. Their main strength would, of course, be their influence on the alt-rock scene, but without a pretty sizeable discography to back it up, I don't think they'll get there, unfortunately.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited September 2009
    clashcityrocker10;2983865 said:
    I'll only list bands that are in contention now for membership, and only bigger names (I'd love to list dozens of bands that I can't see getting in, but it'd be a waste):
    Moody Blues
    Deep Purple
    Judas Priest
    Iron Maiden
    Tommy James and the Shondells
    King Crimson
    Electric Light Orchestra
    MC5
    The Stooges
    Procol Harum
    Toots & The Maytals

    In any case, here's what I think about the Hall itself.
    The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a pretty neat museum, if you ask me. If you're a sucker for historical memorabilia like me, and enjoy rock, it's nice to go see that stuff. However, the voting process is a complete sham, with the entire nomination stage controlled by one or two people (Jann Werner) who can't get past personal preferences to see the influence certain bands have. The fact that it took so long to get Black Sabbath in the Hall attests to this. Without a massive overhaul to the Hall's induction system, the whole thing becomes extremely flawed.
    The reason it took so long for Black Sabbath to get in was because they didn't want to be in, not because of Werner being a..... what's the word?

    On topic.....

    Bold = The Band is too young to be in the Hall right now. (The first recorded matrial must be from 1984 or prior)

    RHCP
    Deep Purple
    Alice Cooper
    Slayer
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Radiohead
    Rush
    Yes
    Genesis
    King Crimson
    Alice In Chains
    Pearl Jam
    Soundgarden
    Nirvana

    Television
    Guns N Roses
    KISS
    The Smiths
    The Cure
    New York Dolls
    Nine Inch Nails
    The Pixies
    The Replacements
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    T. Rex
    Weezer
    Bon Jovi
    Green Day
    Beastie Boys
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Motley Crue
    Joy Division
    Blue Oyster Cult
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    cherokeesam;2986218 said:
    I luh-huv Joy Division, but I'd say odds are very slim that they'll ever get in the RRHOF with just two albums and no hit singles. Their main strength would, of course, be their influence on the alt-rock scene, but without a pretty sizeable discography to back it up, I don't think they'll get there, unfortunately.
    Add in New Order, and their massive influence upon electronic music, and you have all the criteria. :)
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;2986225 said:
    The reason it took so long for Black Sabbath to get in was because they didn't want to be in, not because of Werner being a..... what's the word?

    On topic.....

    Bold = The Band is too young to be in the Hall right now. (The first recorded matrial must be from 1984 or prior)

    RHCP
    Deep Purple
    Alice Cooper
    Slayer
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Radiohead
    Rush
    Yes
    Genesis
    King Crimson
    Alice In Chains
    Pearl Jam
    Soundgarden
    Nirvana

    Television
    Guns N Roses
    KISS
    The Smiths
    The Cure
    New York Dolls
    Nine Inch Nails
    The Pixies
    The Replacements
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    T. Rex
    Weezer
    Bon Jovi
    Green Day
    Beastie Boys
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Motley Crue
    Joy Division
    Blue Oyster Cult
    i think for sure all of the those bands you have in bold WILL make it in though. Especially Green Day and Radiohead.
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I want to see Gorguts and Sunn 0))) in the RnR hall of fame.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited September 2009
    Cubecubed;2986307 said:
    i think for sure all of the those bands you have in bold WILL make it in though. Especially Green Day and Radiohead.
    Once they are old enough, anyway.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited September 2009
    I agree 100% with all of the OP's picks and most of the other groups mentioned in the thread thus far.

    These three groups are my picks for bands that need to be in the hall ASAP:

    Depeche Mode
    The Cure
    Bauhaus
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    Cubecubed;2986307 said:
    i think for sure all of the those bands you have in bold WILL make it in though. Especially Green Day and Radiohead.
    But half of the bands Robafa bolded are either (a) dead, or (b) hell will freeze over before they reunite for something as mundane as the RRHOF. :)
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited September 2009
    cherokeesam;2987107 said:
    But half of the bands Robafa bolded are either (a) dead, or (b) hell will freeze over before they reunite for something as mundane as the RRHOF. :)
    The only ones I bolded that aren't still active are Nirvana and Soundgarden. Well, GNR is active, but it's really a fake GNR. Same with Pumpkins. Not sure about Pixies tough.
  • Lithuanian_BoyLithuanian_Boy Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    NormanCoxwell;2983189 said:
    But seriously, Rush.
    I agree.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited September 2009
    to answer the title:

    bands that deserve it
  • BubBub Generic Person
    edited September 2009
    Radiohead, their influence today is astounding. I don't picture them being inducted anytime soon but in another 10-20 years they'll be there.
Sign In or Register to comment.