Abbey Road DLC?!!!

tomvis15tomvis15 Unsigned
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
There are 6 songs from the Abbey Road album that will ship with the game itself.
Come Together
Something
Octopus's Garden
I Want You (She's So Heavy)
Here Comes the Sun
The End

I'm guessing that Harmonix will not charge for these songs on the DLC albums lol. But when they announced the DLC albums it still shows the 6 songs that are already in the game.

"Abbey Road (1969)
Release Date: October 20, 2009

Pricing: $16.98 (or 1360 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for album
$1.99 (or 160 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for individual tracks

* “Come Together”
* “Something”
* “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer”
* “Oh! Darling”
* “Octopus’s Garden”
* “I Want You (She’s So Heavy)”
* “Here Comes The Sun”
* “Because”
* “You Never Give Me Your Money”
* “Sun King”
* “Mean Mr. Mustard”
* “Polythene Pam”
* “She Came In Through The Bathroom Window”
* “Golden Slumbers”
* “Carry That Weight”
* “The End”
* “Her Majesty”

In addition, purchasers of the full album download of Abbey Road will have the option to play the famous 16-minute B-side medley as a single continuous track. The medley includes “You Never Give Me Your Money,” “Sun King,” “Mean Mr. Mustard,” “Polythene Pam,” “She Came In Through The Bathroom Window,” “Golden Slumbers,” “Carry That Weight” and “The End."

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/20664/The-Beatles-Rock-Band-Music-Store-Revealed/

-This will probably not happen....but it would be REALLY cool if they released demos of the 6 songs that are on the game when the DLC album comes out.

Comments

• soup567soup567 Headliner
    edited September 2009
    I think they may give people a bit of a discount considering how short some of the songs are on Abbey Road when they arent played together in the medley
  • BurningTheoryBurningTheory Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I guess my only question would as to if I choose to use my 3-free-songs towards abbey road songs, then this would probably be to my disadvantage, being that I couldn't buy the full album without having duplicates, and buying individual would cost too much, and I'm not sure if the Medley would still be an option.

Thus, from the way things are looking, I guess it would be wise to use those 3 free songs towards later albums.

(I'm pretty sure the Medley will be an option no matter what, as in its part of the game as long as you have all the songs.)
  • tomvis15tomvis15 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I'm going to use my 3 FREE songs for "All You Need is Love", and probably other songs that were singles and were not on albums (examples Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields Forever)
  • ArchangelZeroArchangelZero Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Does anybody know what this list of 10 is for the 3 free songs yet? According to someone who called in, there's supposed to be a list of 10...
  • mva5580mva5580 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    No employee who actually works in a Gamestop store has a clue when it comes to this promotion. The only way we're going to really find out is when we (or someone else on the 'net first) gets the card and is able to enter the code on Gamestop's website.
  • gamegyro56gamegyro56 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    mva5580;2983554 said:
    No employee who actually works in a Gamestop store has a clue when it comes to this promotion. The only way we're going to really find out is when we (or someone else on the 'net first) gets the card and is able to enter the code on Gamestop's website.
    ArchangelZero;2983547 said:
    Does anybody know what this list of 10 is for the 3 free songs yet? According to someone who called in, there's supposed to be a list of 10...
    I have the card. The person was new. I was also the person who said that there were ten songs. The directions on the card don't work. It says go to http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/btlsrb/ and click on the
    "Pre-order Customers" box. But there is none. They haven't made it yet.
  • rayrox222rayrox222 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    This isn't just a problem with the Abbey Road DLC. The ones scheduled to release in November and December also already have a lot of songs on disk! I have marked those in bold. It is my hope we get a discount on albums for which we already have a significant amount of songs already!

Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
    Release Date: November 2009

• “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band”
    • “With A Little Help From My Friends”
    • “Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds”

• “Getting Better”
    • “Fixing A Hole”
    • “She’s Leaving Home”
    • “Being For The Benefit of Mr Kite”
    • “Within You Without You
    • “When I’m Sixty Four”
    • “Lovely Rita”
    • “Good Morning Good Morning”
    • “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)”
    • “A Day In The Life”

Rubber Soul (1965)
    Release Date: December 2009

• “Drive My Car”
    • “Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)”
    • “You Won’t See Me”
    • “Nowhere Man”
    • “Think For Yourself”
    • “The Word”
    • “Michelle”
    • “What Goes On”
    • “Girl”
    “I’m Looking Through You”
    • “In My Life”
    • “Wait”
    • “If I Needed Someone”
    • “Run For Your Life”
  • HeadHunter67HeadHunter67 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    So Sgt. Pepper shouldn't cost more than 1280 points - that's before any discount for buying the whole pack. Even a 10% saving would mean 1160 points ($7.50 USD)
    I am wondering if the person who determined pricing on these album packs realized how many songs are already in-game
    edited September 2009
    The only one that doesn't make sense is Sgt. Pepper. At $2/song (which is RB's normal pricing for songs) Rubber Soul would be $22 if you bought it separately but (apparently) it's 16.98 if you buy the whole album. So it's still a discount.

But for Sgt. Pepper, it would actually be a dollar cheaper to buy them individually. So something needs to be clarified there.

And we can argue the semantics all we want of whether or not the medley parts of Abbey Road should all count as individual songs or not, but they do because that's how they're counted on the album. So they're charged individually, thus the Abbey Road price makes sense too.
  • rayrox222rayrox222 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    These definitely aren't worth typical full album prices (which generally sell for almost $20). I hope they also offer each track as a single for $1.99 like they normally do. I DEFINITELY want "When I'm Sixty Four" and "Nowhere Man."
  • SirDrexlSirDrexl Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    BurningTheory;2983488 said:
    I guess my only question would as to if I choose to use my 3-free-songs towards abbey road songs, then this would probably be to my disadvantage, being that I couldn't buy the full album without having duplicates, and buying individual would cost too much, and I'm not sure if the Medley would still be an option.
    I am guessing that the medley with the album is stored as one track, since it would probably be difficult to have separate tracks played back with no gaps at all. The tracks run together so that even a split-second gap would hurt the experience, and some iPods can't even do gapless playback. Plus, they have to add the drum clicks, or whatever they're called, to set the tempo and let players know when to start. So, by buying the album, you essentially get two copies of each medley track, one on its own (with opening drum clicks) and one as part of the full medley.
  • QwertyMcUiop1963QwertyMcUiop1963 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Does anyone know if, for Sgt. Pepper, you play Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) and A Day in The Life as one track?
  • samjjonessamjjones Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Clearly the solution is to make The White Album, Let It Be, Revolver, etc. available for DLC to clear up this repeat song fiasco!
  • SirDrexlSirDrexl Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Even if Let it Be (the album) comes eventually, I'm buying "Across the Universe" as soon as it's out, because I can't just wait for that one.

I'll probably do that with my other big favorites too, so maybe 1-2 per album at first, then wait and see if the full album comes out.
  • solidsnakejtsolidsnakejt Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    HeadHunter67;2991766 said:
    So Sgt. Pepper shouldn't cost more than 1280 points - that's before any discount for buying the whole pack. Even a 10% saving would mean 1160 points ($7.50 USD)
    I am wondering if the person who determined pricing on these album packs realized how many songs are already in-game
    how the hell did you do your math ?
    80pts= 1$
    1280= 16.00$
    1160= 14.50$

how did you come up with 7.50$ ???

anyway my guess is this, the album have 7 new songs so it should be 1120pts without discount but my guess is 1040pts (13$)
  • edited September 2009
    Isn't it obvious that if these albums already have a lot of songs on-disc, that it just makes sense for them to finish the rest up and put it out as DLC? They'll be able to get it out to us faster this way.

This is also why Rubber Soul is the furthest away because it has the least songs on-disc of the 3.
    edited September 2009
    justintimeROA89;2992122 said:
    Isn't it obvious that if these albums already have a lot of songs on-disc, that it just makes sense for them to finish the rest up and put it out as DLC? They'll be able to get it out to us faster this way.

This is also why Rubber Soul is the furthest away because it has the least songs on-disc of the 3.
    i agree
  • Explosion2Explosion2 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    But I want Help! too...
  • edited September 2009
    Explosion2;2992391 said:
    But I want Help! too...
    Hope for 2010 DLC release. I know I am.
  • tomvis15tomvis15 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    rayrox222;2991747 said:
    This isn't just a problem with the Abbey Road DLC. The ones scheduled to release in November and December also already have a lot of songs on disk! I have marked those in bold. It is my hope we get a discount on albums for which we already have a significant amount of songs already!

Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
    Release Date: November 2009

• “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band”
    • “With A Little Help From My Friends”
    • “Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds”

• “Getting Better”
    • “Fixing A Hole”
    • “She’s Leaving Home”
    • “Being For The Benefit of Mr Kite”
    • “Within You Without You
    • “When I’m Sixty Four”
    • “Lovely Rita”
    • “Good Morning Good Morning”
    • “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)”
    • “A Day In The Life”

Rubber Soul (1965)
    Release Date: December 2009

• “Drive My Car”
    • “Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)”
    • “You Won’t See Me”
    • “Nowhere Man”
    • “Think For Yourself”
    • “The Word”
    • “Michelle”
    • “What Goes On”
    • “Girl”
    • “I’m Looking Through You”
    • “In My Life”
    • “Wait”
    • “If I Needed Someone”
    • “Run For Your Life”

I would HOPE that Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band DLC album will cost less than Abbey road.....BECAUSE

Sgt. Pepper =13 songs total
    - 6 songs already in game

= only 7 songs to buy from Sgt. Pepper DLC
    (7 songs times 160 pts is 1120 microsoft pts about $14)
    (btw Abbey road ablum is 1360 pts)

I REALLY hope Harmonix doesnt ripe us off with these DLC albums and all the songs that are already in the game!
  • edited September 2009
    tomvis15;2992673 said:
    I would HOPE that Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band DLC album will cost less than Abbey road.....BECAUSE

Sgt. Pepper =13 songs total
    - 6 songs already in game

= only 7 songs to buy from Sgt. Pepper DLC
    (7 songs times 160 pts is 1120 microsoft pts about $14)
    (btw Abbey road ablum is 1360 pts)

I REALLY hope Harmonix doesnt ripe us off with these DLC albums and all the songs that are already in the game!
    I would hope that we are getting the original "Within You Without You" in the DLC album release so technically that way we only have 5 songs already in game.

Also, are you saying HMX will rip us off by having us purchase the songs that are already in-game as DLC? That's not going to happen.
    edited September 2009
    solidsnakejt;2992025 said:
    how the hell did you do your math ?
    In my head. And for some reason, I was going with 160 points per dollar, which is twice the actual rate.

I guess I used the same kind of math that HMX did to set the price for Abbey Road, if you know what I mean. ;)

So I made an error. If I apologize, will you promise not to sue me?
    justintimeROA89;2992691 said:
    Also, are you saying HMX will rip us off by having us purchase the songs that are already in-game as DLC? That's not going to happen.
    No, we're saying that HMX will rip us off by charging us for a 17-track album when we only need 11 of those tracks, most of which are so short they shouldn't justify more than $1 each separately. So there's no real savings in buying the album, is there?

We only need three songs from side 1... the rest are from Side 2, and likely were not included in the game because they are so short.
  • shaun2410shaun2410 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Has the pricing for Sgt. Pepper and Rubber Soul actually been confirmed? The Gamescom announcement only lists the price of 1360 MSP for Abbey Road - the other albums don't have a price listed. Common sense would suggest we'll get discounts on them in the same way we always have, so they probably won't cost 1360 MSP.
  • edited September 2009
    HeadHunter67;2993051 said:

No, we're saying that HMX will rip us off by charging us for a 17-track album when we only need 11 of those tracks
    How will they be charging us for 17 tracks? 17 tracks at $2 each would be $34 when we already know that Abbey Road is priced at $17.

If you meant it some other way, please clarify.
    edited September 2009
    What I meant is, we're paying the established "album price" in spite of only getting half an album's worth of material - and half of what we're buying is half as long as normal. (which is already half as long as most of the songs in RB, which also sell for $2 each).

So, let's do the math this way: Say all the full length songs from Side 1 are worth the $2 they're asking... and then let us say that the songs from Side 2 are only worth $1 due to their length. I mean, can ANYONE justify asking $2 for Her Majesty, a 23-second song? Of course not.

So we have three two-dollar songs and eight $1 songs. That's $14. Even if we say Because, Sun King and You Never Give Me Your Money are worth $2 each, it's still $17. So yes, we're paying the full album price with no discount, basically.

Unless you can somehow convince us that songs like Mean Mr. Mustard and Polythene Pam are worth $2 each, or that the medley is worth $16 of separate songs, there's NO savings. Hence, yes we are being ripped off unless the price changes.
    edited September 2009
    In my eyes it all depends on what they do with albums AFTER Abbey Road.

I understand the complaints in regards to charging $2 for tracks like Mean Mr. Mustard/Polythene Pam/Her Majesty, but when they start picking and choosing what songs go beyond the "normal" $2 pricec and what doesn't, then they're really in trouble. There are songs in The Beatles canon that are below 2 minutes which are considered "complete" songs. Multiple songs at that. So how about those? Should they be $2, or less?

If The Beatles would've considered Sun King/Mean Mr. Mustard/Polythene Pam/She Came in Through the Bathroom Window as one song on Abbey Road, and Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End as one song, this would be a moot point. But since they divided them up to where there are 17 titles on the album instead of 11, it now makes a difference in this circumstance 40 years later lol. So for this one disc people are just going to have to deal with HMX needing to keep consistency in how they charge for titled tracks on albums. Unless there is some other precedent I'm not aware of where a really short song an album was charged less than the $2 price tag.

If Abbey Road is $16.98 and subsequent albums like Pepper and Revolver or less, I've got no issues. But if they're all $16.98, then it's clear there is a "Beatle tax" being imposed.
    edited September 2009
    That seems to be the way they've said they're doing it - at least for the first three albums they have announced. That's why it sounds like a rip-off in this case.

Either the entire medley should be sold as one song, or they should admit that they cannot justify full price for the songs I mentioned. There are plenty of RB songs that sell for $1 (Yomp is a great example) for various reasons.

If they stick to their $17 price tag, I might very well just buy a few of the tracks instead of the whole album. I'm not such a completist that I'll pay a premium for the medley.

Then again, this might change a bit since The End was leaked as the final song, so I wouldn't be surprised if they revise the pricing once the game is officially released.
    edited September 2009
    Right. Well I really just think this is the way it'll be for Abbey Road, and every other album will be less. Minus The White Album of course. It only states $16.98 for Abbey Road, there is no price listed for the other 2. I would fully expect them to be less than that. And as I've said before it would make ZERO sense to have Sgt. Pepper cost $16.98 for the full download as it would only cost $16 to download them separately at $2/song. So that will probably be closer to ~$13 or so.
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, they simply can't stick with a consistent price for every album, for the reasons you stated. Then again, if I could get all 24 remaining songs on the White Album for $17, I might not complain about paying the same price for the remaining 8 on Sgt. Pepper. :)
    edited September 2009
    HeadHunter67;2993051 said:
    In my head. And for some reason, I was going with 160 points per dollar, which is twice the actual rate.

I guess I used the same kind of math that HMX did to set the price for Abbey Road, if you know what I mean. ;)

So I made an error. If I apologize, will you promise not to sue me?

No, we're saying that HMX will rip us off by charging us for a 17-track album when we only need 11 of those tracks, most of which are so short they shouldn't justify more than $1 each separately. So there's no real savings in buying the album, is there?

We only need three songs from side 1... the rest are from Side 2, and likely were not included in the game because they are so short.
    i cannot promise anything, abut i will try and not sue you ;)