So you can basically only submit songs from more 'underground' bands?

Xerosnake90Xerosnake90 Road Warrior
edited September 2009 in The Rock Band Network
Because we all know no real band will give you rights to a song. The network will basically be a mess of songs next to no one has ever heard?

Kinda dissapointing, I figured we'd be able to create some songs ourselves from bands we like.

Any chance of the Power Ranger theme song? lol

Comments

• davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited September 2009
    Xerosnake90;2984946 said:
    Because we all know no real band will give you rights to a song. The network will basically be a mess of songs next to no one has ever heard?

Kinda dissapointing, I figured we'd be able to create some songs ourselves from bands we like.
    You can if you obtain the rights to the songs. Look at some of the companies that are springing up. For example, Music Game Authors has obtained the rights to chart some songs from Watchtower and Spock's Beard. Those are "real bands" that I've heard of. ;)
    Only if you can locate the original author.
  • edited September 2009
    RBN will have bands spanning a vast range of popularity from unheard to well known.
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    davidshek;2984956 said:
    Spock's Beard
    One of the ones I'm looking forward to most. :)
  • N-PlayN-Play Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Then there MSI, They'll a Real band comformed for RBN
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    There's several bands already that are signed to major labels (or at least well-known indies), including Asobi Seksu, Joel Plaskett, Machinae Supremacy, Johnathan Coulton, Marillion, Sarah VonderHaar, Shelly Rastin, Spock's Beard and Watchtower. There's also a good chance that Underoath will be adding songs via RBN, as well as Mindless Self Indulgence and Anberlin (even though Enosity doesn't confirm those last three bands). Also, other labels like SubPop have said they're going to get very much involved in putting their artists out there on RBN, including (quoting) the full album of Nirvana's debut, Bleach.

RBN will definitely be primarily a launching pad for unsigned bands, or a major exposure tool for smaller/indie bands looking to reach a larger (read: international) audience. But there are also plenty of well-established bands, too, that are coming to RBN.
  • MarsPhoenixMarsPhoenix Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    The network will basically be a mess of songs next to no one has ever heard?

It's a shame you don't know how much better underground music is than mainstream most of the time. Maybe you'll learn when RBN comes out.
  • G_tarRoCK3RG_tarRoCK3R Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    davidshek;2984956 said:
    Music Game Authors has obtained the rights to chart some songs from Spock's Beard. Those are "real bands" that I've heard of. ;)
    :eek::eek::eek: Link please!!!!!!!!1 omg!
  • DeadManDrummingDeadManDrumming Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Some will be good and some will be bad. Which is exactly how DLC is right now. As for "no one has ever heard..." Their are people who don't know The Beatles.
    If only song writing were that easy.

As for copyright issues. Well yeah duh.

Go check GHTunes....
    edited September 2009
    G_tarRoCK3R;2986132 said:
    :eek::eek::eek: Link please!!!!!!!!1 omg!
    http://www.musicgameauthors.com/da-bands/spocks-beard.html
  • Xerosnake90Xerosnake90 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    DeadManDrumming;2988007 said:
    Some will be good and some will be bad. Which is exactly how DLC is right now. As for "no one has ever heard..." Their are people who don't know The Beatles.

If only song writing were that easy.

As for copyright issues. Well yeah duh.

Go check GHTunes....
    Guitar hero, lulz.

Even if I did, GHtunes sounds nothing like a real song does, even if it's nearly spot on.
  • TopherTopher Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    N-Play;2985223 said:
    Then there MSI, They'll a Real band comformed for RBN
    Ignoring spelling and such, anyone got a source on this? I've been wishing for a little MSI forever!
  • Alvarado6411Alvarado6411 Dethbringer
    edited September 2009
    Not necesarilly, it is a good thing for bands who are underground but for me personally I am going after bands that have been either overlooked by HMX, cult bands, solo careers of a groups bassist, drummer, guitarists etc or bands that aren't that well known but are influential to my favorite acts now.

For example (not saying this is happening or not)

If I love Iron Maiden, I wouldn't go after them. I instead would go after bands who influenced them such as Uriah Heep, Wisbone Ash, UFO, etc

For every big major act, there is another who is just as good as them but haven't gotten the amount of exposure as the bigger act and to be quite honest, sometimes HMX doesn't have time to look at these bands if only a couple people are requesting them, that's where me an MGA come in.
  • raine697raine697 Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Basically, YOU can't make a song by any band without their permission to make it. These tools are for bands to take it upon themselves to submit their own music into the game, so the only people that will be making Linkin Park or Radiohead songs for the game will be the people Radiohead or Linkin Park hire to make tracks from their songs.
  • raine697raine697 Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Topher;3014002 said:
    Ignoring spelling and such, anyone got a source on this? I've been wishing for a little MSI forever!
    Females love me because they are aware of my punctuality.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited September 2009
    Considering we have an entire major record label committed to putting as much of their catalog onto RBN (including Fleet Foxes, The Postal Service, early Nirvana, etc.), I don't think the 'mess of songs next to no one has ever heard' isn't going to be a problem.
    raine697;3015236 said:
    Females love me because they are aware of my punctuality.
    Females love me because they are aware of my ability to match identical or nearly-identical tones at the end of phrases in my rhythmic orations.
  • Cpt. OverkillCpt. Overkill (Briefly) Touched by a Banhammer
    edited September 2009
    I like how the OP suggests that underground bands aren't real bands.
  • MaghookMaghook Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Cpt. Overkill;3016051 said:
    Obviously, since they all haven't sold 1,000,000 records.
    Once you do that, you're a "real band"... right?

:p
  • destruction3402destruction3402 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Cpt. Overkill;3016051 said:
    I also read it that way.
    Getting underground bands=good thing.
    At least for me, because 95% of all the music I listen to could be considered underground.
    I'm especially looking forward to see black metal in RBN, sadly there is none confirmed Yet. :(
  • dejastardejastar Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Well, I rather pay $.99 for a song from a band that's unknown now than $2 for the same song when it makes it to the radio. Every band was unknown at some point.
  • WaltCDWaltCD Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Looking at the list of possible upcoming bands and songs for Rock Band Network, I am initially very disappointed. Originally when I heard about Rock Band Network, I was very excited, thinking that many of my favorite bands would be able to release songs to Rock Band much more quickly than is being done now.

Rock Band releases, on average, 7 to 10 songs a week. At that rate, it would take 4 to 6 weeks to get through the current Top 40, and nearly impossible to ever get caught up on the top Rock songs from even the last decade, let alone getting to my favorite decade, the 80s, and still keeping up with all of the new music coming out.

With Rock Band Network (RBN), I thought there would be droves of music coming out from our favorite artists. I am definitely intrigued at the idea of discovering new music from bands I've never heard of, as I do with the current Rock Band DLC, but I really, really wanted to experience more of my classic favorites. :(

Walt D in LV
    P.S. I did see the post in which Nirvana's Bleach may be coming to RBN, so that's exciting, but the possibilities are endless. I, well, We are all just going to have to wait and see. Wow, it takes so much patience! :o
  • Magik_TekMagik_Tek Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I'm not sure why so many of you are so down on RBN. Did you really expect a flood of artists and songs right from the get go? Its going to take time for RBN to build its catalog.

The biggest hurdle right now is finding people to do the grunt work and get the material on RBN. If a band is going to do it themselves, they need to learn the software which is time consuming and can be very complicated. As for independent charters, there's only a few groups (RA for example) available at the moment. There just isn't enough people at the moment to do the work.

On top of that, there's probably a bunch of bands that are watching with a close eye to see how this turns out.

If things go well with RBN, expect the catalog to increase at a rapid pace.
  • pracerpracer Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    HMXEnosity;2984996 said:
    RBN will have bands spanning a vast range of popularity from unheard to well known.
    Seems to me 90% of what we will be getting is indie stuff that most of us won't care to listen to. I know HMX does a great job covering generes, but I won't even touch the RBN if it means wading through countless nobodys trying to use RBN as a record label.
    edited September 2009
    pracer;3046683 said:
    Seems to me 90% of what we will be getting is indie stuff that most of us won't care to listen to. I know HMX does a great job covering generes, but I won't even touch the RBN if it means wading through countless nobodys trying to use RBN as a record label.
    Way to have an open mind there, dude.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    pracer;3046683 said:
    i can't speak for everyone, but i'm pretty sure we won't miss your presence.
  • Chuck_FiascoChuck_Fiasco Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    HMXEnosity;2984996 said:
    This ROCKSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited September 2009
    WaltCD;3032348 said:
    Looking at the list of possible upcoming bands and songs for Rock Band Network, I am initially very disappointed. Originally when I heard about Rock Band Network, I was very excited, thinking that many of my favorite bands would be able to release songs to Rock Band much more quickly than is being done now.

Rock Band releases, on average, 7 to 10 songs a week. At that rate, it would take 4 to 6 weeks to get through the current Top 40, and nearly impossible to ever get caught up on the top Rock songs from even the last decade, let alone getting to my favorite decade, the 80s, and still keeping up with all of the new music coming out.

With Rock Band Network (RBN), I thought there would be droves of music coming out from our favorite artists. I am definitely intrigued at the idea of discovering new music from bands I've never heard of, as I do with the current Rock Band DLC, but I really, really wanted to experience more of my classic favorites. :(

Walt D in LV
    P.S. I did see the post in which Nirvana's Bleach may be coming to RBN, so that's exciting, but the possibilities are endless. I, well, We are all just going to have to wait and see. Wow, it takes so much patience! :o

You do realize that most of the bands that are 'confirmed' for RBN are because they are being authored by a member of the community?

I mean (as an example), if say Linkin Park, or Muse, or insert known band name here, was working on getting their tracks with their own people into RBN, do you think they would sign up to the board just to announce it?

I'm not saying there are mega huge artists coming to RBN, but just because someone hasn't announced a particular 'known' band for the service doesn't mean that they aren't coming to RBN.
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I counter this statement about songs "next to no one has ever heard" being bad with two words: Even Rats

Unknown or not, the RBN could well end up be an incredible source of awesome music to play, released at a speed surpassing anything Harmonix could achieve on their own.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    Let's put it this way:

EVERY *known* band started out, of course, as an UNknown.

RBN will serve as a launch pad for more than a few bands that will gain INTERNATIONAL renown just for appearing on the RBN.

Therefore, those of us who use the RBN to elevate those *unknown* bands to *known* status will not only be able to truthfully say we fell in love with those bands before anyone had even heard of them, but we can also take pride in knowing that we HELPED those bands make it to the top.

....The RBN rocks.
  • trg007trg007 Your Ever Rocking RBN Forum Guru
    edited September 2009
    Some of the music that's been announced so far for RBN is very mainstream-sounding even if you may not recognize the names of the bands.

For example, the band most recently announced by Rhythm Authors, Kill the Alarm. I had never heard of them before I saw the announcement on RA and checked out their MySpace, yet after listening, I could easily see their songs being played on mainstream rock radio stations right now.

So, unknown != bad.
  • HyeJinx1984HyeJinx1984 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Only unknown artists? :( damnit, and I just emailed Jimmy Page...