The George Appreciation Thread

ZombieJeebusZombieJeebus Rising Star
edited October 2010 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Everyone knows about the cute one, the funny one and the smart one. How about a little something for the other guy?

George Harrison. So underappreciated.

"Something", "Here Comes the Sun", "Taxman" and "While my Guitar Gently weeps". All of that is top tier Beatles stuff, and all done by that other guy.

Ok, he wrote "Piggies" everyone gets at least one mulligan.

Who's with me? Who's got some love for George? The Best Beatle?

Comments

• DaytrippedDaytripped Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    I was never thinking about George, until I bought his greatest hits.

I was...amazed. I never thought he had such a creative mind.

Very underrated, he was.

And now everybody is seeing that after he died.

The world is so unfair, sometimes...
  • drummingurudrumminguru Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    George has always been my favorite
  • TheObscureTheObscure Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    I liked his solo stuff more. Infact I liked his solo stuff more than John/Paul/Ringo's.
  • ZombieJeebusZombieJeebus Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Daytripped;2993610 said:
    I was never thinking about George, until I bought his greatest hits.

I was...amazed. I never thought he had such a creative mind.

Very underrated, he was.

And now everybody is seeing that after he died.

The world is so unfair, sometimes...
    Yeah he also did great solo stuff. Don't forget the Wilburys!
  • TheObscureTheObscure Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    ZombieJeebus;2993626 said:
    Yeah he also did great solo stuff. Don't forget the Wilburys!
    Oh wow, I just downloaded The Traveling Wilbury's discography about two days ago.
  • babaorielybabaoriely Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Hey Piggies is good too, George has always been my favorite Beatle. He's (in my opinion) the most talented and has the best solo work. And (no offense) John and Paul were honestly kind of jerks. I look past that for the most part because I love them and the Beatles so much, but you can't deny it, it's true.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited September 2009
    George isn't really underappreciated. Dead Beatles are always better.

That being said, he did deserve better treatment from John and Paul.
  • SgtRubberRevolverSgtRubberRevolver Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Yes, it's shame that he got respect once the band was falling apart. George is awsome. As far back as Don't Bother Me. That's a great underrated song. Yes, I would say George is more underrated than Ringo. I think Ringo is the most made fun of. George is the least remembered
  • RoofTopRookieRoofTopRookie Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Georges body of solo work is pretty damn good. If you get a chance to own his Boxed Set, i highly recommend it.

Also, his Capital Re-Issues are fantastic. Especially "Living In The Material World"
  • HeadHunter67HeadHunter67 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    George was an amazing human being. He was peaceful, deeply spiritual, the best guitarist in the Beatles, and a damn good song writer. The world lost an exceptional artist when he died.
  • AndywinXpAndywinXp Opening Act
    edited September 2009
  • Inaudible-WhisperInaudible-Whisper Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I don't think he was overrated or underrated. His contributions to The Beatles are, for the most part, fantastic but he created less than 6% of their catalogue. He simply is nowhere near the song-writing calibre of Lennon and McCartney, for the sheer amount of songs they could create if anything. When Lennon and McCartney were throwing out half a dozen songs each for an album, George would often struggle to pen a single worthy track. He has, of course, proved that he is a very competent song writer but come on... he is no Lennon or McCartney. People on here are actually close to overrating him.

This isn't an attack on George. I love him; he's my second favourite Beatle. It's an attempt to put people who are adamant he's underrated to the point that he should stand equally alongside L/M into their place.
  • BlueJayGuyBlueJayGuy Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    He was the most "human" of them.

Let it roll (2009) is, in my opinion, one of the best albums of the year. When I hear Isn't It A Pity, I feel.... strange. Like in another world.

My George's favourite songs:

Isn't It A Pity
    Cheer Down
    Rising Sun
    Not Guilty
    Here Comes The Moon
    Crackerbox Palace
    Give me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)
    Cloud Nine
    Marwa Blues
    Blow Away
    What Is Life

And, of course, when he was a Beatle;

Savoy Truffle
    Something
    I Need You
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    The Inner Light (UNDERRATED)
    Long Long Long (" same ")
    Only a Northern Song
    It's All Too Much
    Taxman

And much more...

He wasn't the BEST guitarist on the world, but an incredible song writer and composer, what he did in a beautiful way, no matter how simple is the song.
  • .Remix.Remix Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I hate it when people say "Ok so thats Paul, that's John, that's Ringo, who's that?"

I mean, cmon!!
  • Paperback-WriterPaperback-Writer Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    George is realy cool he got better throught out time though
  • SkeleshredderSkeleshredder Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Inaudible-Whisper;2993998 said:
    When Lennon and McCartney were throwing out half a dozen songs each for an album, George would often struggle to pen a single worthy track.
    That was only in the early years. Admittedly, George was a late bloomer as a songwriter. By the time of "Revolver," however, he had hit his stride. He had to fight tooth and nail to get as many of his songs on the albums as he did. I wouldn't say he was better than Lennon and McCartney, but by the time the group had split up, he had proven himself their equal.
  • RobondacobRobondacob Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I don't think he was overrated or underrated. His contributions to The Beatles are, for the most part, fantastic but he created less than 6% of their catalogue. He simply is nowhere near the song-writing calibre of Lennon and McCartney, for the sheer amount of songs they could create if anything. When Lennon and McCartney were throwing out half a dozen songs each for an album, George would often struggle to pen a single worthy track. He has, of course, proved that he is a very competent song writer but come on... he is no Lennon or McCartney. People on here are actually close to overrating him.

This isn't an attack on George. I love him; he's my second favourite Beatle. It's an attempt to put people who are adamant he's underrated to the point that he should stand equally alongside L/M into their place.
    George was by far the most talented musician in The Beatles, he was a great songwriter, and he had the best solo career out of all The Beatles. How was he not the best?
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited September 2009
    Skeleshredder;2994275 said:
    That was only in the early years. Admittedly, George was a late bloomer as a songwriter. By the time of "Revolver," however, he had hit his stride. He had to fight tooth and nail to get as many of his songs on the albums as he did. I wouldn't say he was better than Lennon and McCartney, but by the time the group had split up, he had proven himself their equal.
    George's emergance as a songwriter is one of the many reasons they broke up?
  • babaorielybabaoriely Unsigned
    edited September 2009

The reason George only had one to two songs per album was because that was all John and Paul would let him put on an album. All Things Must Pass was a large album because it contains many songs he wrote while the Beatles were together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaRi2TO3xZ0&NR=1
  • beatleschick24beatleschick24 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    george is my fave beatle <3
  • Inaudible-WhisperInaudible-Whisper Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Robondacob;2994313 said:
    George was by far the most talented musician in The Beatles, he was a great songwriter, and he had the best solo career out of all The Beatles. How was he not the best?
    He was the best guitarist. That is the only thing he was the best at in the band. If you honestly think he was a better songwriter than John or Paul you're a fool. Best Beatle I'm fine with, if you like him as a person and musician. But no matter what you say, no matter how many times you might say "He wasn't given the chance towards to end" or "All Things Must Pass is a great solo record" the fact still remains that he wrote less than 6% of their catalogue. His list of Beatles songs is TINY. Could he have had more songs on the latter albums? Probably. Would they have all been up to scratch? Maybe. Would he be anywhere near to catching up to Lennon and McCartney in terms of sheer number of hits? Not even close. I just can't begin to put him equally alongside them based on nothing but potential. The reason he wasn't given the chance before 'Something' was simple. As Lennon said -- "There was an embarrassing period when George's songs weren't that good and nobody wanted to say anything". Lennon then went on to say that Something is actually the best track on the album. But it still doesn't really begin to make up for the 300+ songs Paul and John wrote. Nor do any of his other solid tracks.
    edited September 2009
    he created less than 6% of their catalogue. He simply is nowhere near the song-writing calibre of Lennon and McCartney, for the sheer amount of songs they could create if anything. When Lennon and McCartney were throwing out half a dozen songs each for an album, George would often struggle to pen a single worthy track.
    That's incorrect. He was only allowed to contribute one or two songs to each album, despite allegedly being an equal partner. He built up enough of a backlog of songs to release a triple album the year the Beatles broke up, so it's obvious he wasn't "struggling" to write worthy songs.

His only "struggle" was to gain the equal recognition and contribution he deserved. You're basically trying to justify your position by defending his exclusion and then using it to show why you think he didn't put in enough. That's like your boss locking you out of your workplace, and then firing you because you didn't do any work.
  • QwertyMcUiop1963QwertyMcUiop1963 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps is my favorite Beatles song, as hard as it is to pick one.

I got a lot of Beatles CDs from the library to listen to since I haven't heard most of their albums and I just finished listening to Within You Without You now.
  • moose39moose39 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Without a doubt, George is my favorite Beatle. His solo stuff is amazing, not to mention all of his awesome tracks he wrote with The Beatles.

Give Me Love (Give Me Peace), My Sweet Lord, and What Is Life are all INCREDIBLE.
    edited September 2009
    moose39;2996326 said:
    Give Me Love (Give Me Peace), My Sweet Lord, and What Is Life are all INCREDIBLE.
    That bears repeating!
  • beatlemaniac247beatlemaniac247 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    george is my fav beatle at the moment (i always seem to change my mind). I think he was a great songwriter towards the end of the beatles and no one has mentioned how good of a singer he is.....i mean paul and john obviously are some of the best singers of all time, in any genre of music, but george has almost like an odd quality to his voice that i think makes it great. Definitely underrated and deserves more credit.

I do have to point out that yeah george has great solo work but i dont think you could say the best for sure......and you have to keep in mind that lennon only had a ten year period after to beatles to get out a solo catalogue....if lennon would have lived till say 2001 like george there is no telling how many more great songs he could have came out wtih
  • Jayrod1137Jayrod1137 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    How come everybody forgot "Think for Yourself"?
  • RobondacobRobondacob Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Inaudible-Whisper;2994508 said:
    He was the best guitarist. That is the only thing he was the best at in the band. If you honestly think he was a better songwriter than John or Paul you're a fool.
    Two things wrong with that.

First, I never said he was a better songwriter than John or Paul (but he is better than Paul).

Second, he was definitely the most proficient in music in composing songs (do not confuse this with making rock songs).
  • Lt PepperLt Pepper Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Jayrod1137;2996379 said:
    How come everybody forgot "Think for Yourself"?
    my favourite song on rubber soul, behind drive my car
  • WhiplashWhiplash Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    TBRB inspired me to finally go out and check out some of the Beatles' solo projects. I checked out All Things Must Pass, first. It's now in my top 10 albums of all time, it's that good. Fantastic songwriter. It's amazing that he was like, the guy coming off the bench to write songs for them. The amount of talent in the band was sick.