A good Beatles list to hold you over til Wednesday

jaychuckjaychuck Opening Act
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
http://magazine.jamsbio.com/2009/01/05/playing-the-beatles-backwards-the-ultimate-countdown/

A 185 song countdown (all of their songs, not including covers) from worst to first.

It's actually a really good read, especially if you play the songs he writes about while you read it. Don't buy EW for their stupid list, this one is pretty excellent. It took me two days to actually read entirely.

Comments

• AnimaniacAnimaniac Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    She's Leaving Home at #3? I love the song but that's way too high imo.
  • wcarnationwcarnation Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Revolution 9 the worst song, blaaaah.

Can you be any more narrow minded and predictable?

It's like the guy has never heard a song without guitars and drums in it.
  • TheWalrusIsMeTheWalrusIsMe Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    AndywinXp;3002546 said:
    183. “I Want You (She’s So Heavy)” = Epic Fail.
    182. “Yer Blues” = Epic Fail.
    181. “Good Day Sunshine” = Epic Fail.

Ok I can't believe at this:

“Love You To”

171. “Wild Honey Pie”
    I read this list a while ago. I disagreed with some stuff too, naturally, but I thought it was good.

I agree with him about I Want You and Yer Blues. IWY(SSH) is a decent enough song, it just drags on and on and on and on and on. And I just plain old don't like Yer Blues.
  • DookieManDookieMan Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Good Day Sunshine is freaking awesome.

Also, believe it or not, but Ask Me Why has to be one of my favorites on that whole album.
  • TheWalrusIsMeTheWalrusIsMe Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    wcarnation;3002555 said:
    Revolution 9 the worst song, blaaaah.

Can you be any more narrow minded and predictable?

It's like the guy has never heard a song without guitars and drums in it.
    The list is the guy's opinion. He acknowledges that some people like it, but he says that he just doesn't get it. Nothing wrong with that.
  • hannie3000hannie3000 Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Bah, how dare he badmouth "Day Tripper".
    This list is silly.
  • DookieManDookieMan Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I Am the Walrus? Number 2? I'm just kind of confused by that.
  • edited September 2009
    Why does everyone hate "Honey Pie" so much? I can't knock any Beatles tracks but if I had to rank their songs Honey Pie would not be that low and not below Wild Honey Pie (though I like that song for what it is as well). One of The Beatles even said their favorite guitar solo is in Honey Pie, not because it was blazing fast solo but just because it was such a fitting part.
  • hannie3000hannie3000 Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    justintimeROA89;3002671 said:
    Why does everyone hate "Honey Pie" so much? I can't knock any Beatles tracks but if I had to rank their songs Honey Pie would not be that low and not below Wild Honey Pie (though I like that song for what it is as well). One of The Beatles even said their favorite guitar solo is in Honey Pie, not because it was blazing fast solo but just because it was such a fitting part.
    I love both "Honey Pie" and "Wild Honey Pie".
    "Honey Pie" because it's just something different, y'know? I like the vaudeville style. It's a sweet song.
    "Wild Honey Pie" is a typical case of "can I just make something up?". And I'm all for the silliness.
  • CataclysmoCataclysmo Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Suddenly the drear of existence seemed flush with possibilities, even if those possibilities were only accessible via the corridors of one’s own mind.
    Prententious
  • SilverHammerOn.SilverHammerOn. Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    181. “Good Day Sunshine”

Anyone who puts Good Day Sunshine so incredibly low could not possibly live in England where a sunny day is so rare that it is really something to be thankful for - and happy about.
  • edited September 2009
    hannie3000;3002719 said:
    I love both "Honey Pie" and "Wild Honey Pie".
    "Honey Pie" because it's just something different, y'know? I like the vaudeville style. It's a sweet song.
    "Wild Honey Pie" is a typical case of "can I just make something up?". And I'm all for the silliness.
    I'm glad someone agrees.
  • LoveringLovering Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Nice idea, but I got as far down the list as 183. I Want You (She's So Heavy) and refuse to read anything else by someone who puts such an epic song so low. Whenever I listen to Abbey Road I always get so drawn into the hypnotic groove of that seven minutes it never fails to surprise me when it stops dead, even though I have heard it hundreds of times. It is one of the songs I cannot wait to play on Wednesday.

I'm sure reading the rest of the list will just make me angry.
  • DoctorTran37DoctorTran37 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I've just been listening to Anthology 2 and 3.
  • dark_quotadark_quota Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Lovering;3003265 said:
    Nice idea, but I got as far down the list as 183. I Want You (She's So Heavy) and refuse to read anything else by someone who puts such an epic song so low. Whenever I listen to Abbey Road I always get so drawn into the hypnotic groove of that seven minutes it never fails to surprise me when it stops dead, even though I have heard it hundreds of times. It is one of the songs I cannot wait to play on Wednesday.

I'm sure reading the rest of the list will just make me angry.
    I agree.
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and while I respect the writer's opinion, I don't agree with it at all.

I couldn't read past the first page especially after seeing "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" and "Yer Blues".
  • dalcytedalcyte Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I read the top 5 after reading the bottom 5...and it's just terrible. He makes some good choices (I am the walrus at #2 though..? I would've put the medley there without a doubt), and a day in the life is fitting obviously for #1 but GOOD GOD MAN. PRETENTIOUSNESS JUST OOZES FROM HM. OH MY GOD.
    This brilliant flourish, conceived by McCartney, is a marvel of shambolic grandeur that seems to mirror the entirety of the human race rushing to find a meaning to their existence. While we may have admired the pretty opening verses, for the first time in the song we are awake and alive.
    “A Day In The Life” is a groundbreaking piece of work that shattered any pre-existing boundaries for what rock music could be.
    Whaaat? Ok, when i listen to A Day in the Life, i'm not thinking when the mad orchestra thing comes in.."wow, this just TOTALLY symoblizes the day to day routine we have, how 'grandeur' of Lennon! Mmm yes quite, indeed, yes then". And I doubt Lennon or Macca was either. That's just a ridiculously ridiculous comment. Also, pushing the boundaries of rock? That's a lofty claim, and I think that a lot of people make that claim with a lot of different songs. Care to explain how?
    Oh, I guess not. Do new artists in the 70s when they were composing really think "man, what we could do was so limited before A Day in the Life" came out, I'm glad there's this whole new musical frontier!" Maybe, maybe not. Certainly people were influenced by it, but I think saying that it shattered boundaries is...pretentious, like this whole article.
  • FrankSmoke2MuchFrankSmoke2Much Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    dark_quota;3003374 said:
    I agree.
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and while I respect the writer's opinion, I don't agree with it at all.

I couldn't read past the first page especially after seeing "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" and "Yer Blues".
    I did the EXACT same thing. I've been listening to Abbey Road a lot lately, and getting lulled in by IWY(SSH) is such an enjoyable experience. Maybe its my love for stoner rock that makes this riff so fookin' catchy.
  • foolosophyfoolosophy Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Read the whole list, top to bottom. Took me the whole day, almost. Sure he comes off sounding pretentious and somewhat of a jerk (also a bit a Paul lover), but I have to say it's a well constructed piece. Regardless of the order of the songs or his opinions, the descriptions for each song were pretty good. I don't agree with a few of his selections in certain spots, but let's face it, try making a Beatles list from 185 to 1 and pleasing all Beatles fans across the world. Isn't easy, is it?
  • Jordan10laJordan10la Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I hate this list and its author.
  • RobondacobRobondacob Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Terrible list. He was just using it as a way to voice his dislike over popular songs. Near the end he was like "Crap I forgot that I have to eventually say which songs I do like."
  • BlehgopieBlehgopie Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Worst can only mean "least amazing" in the context of The Beatles.

And nothing from Rubber Soul and on should be in this category ever.
  • jaychuckjaychuck Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    foolosophy;3003893 said:
    Read the whole list, top to bottom. Took me the whole day, almost. Sure he comes off sounding pretentious and somewhat of a jerk (also a bit a Paul lover), but I have to say it's a well constructed piece. Regardless of the order of the songs or his opinions, the descriptions for each song were pretty good. I don't agree with a few of his selections in certain spots, but let's face it, try making a Beatles list from 185 to 1 and pleasing all Beatles fans across the world. Isn't easy, is it?
    Thia guy knows. Everyone reading the first three and saying I GIVE UP just don't want to read all 20 pages. It's his opinions and of course I don't agree with all of it, but he give enough reasons as to why he thinks it isn't that great or why he loves it so much, as apposed to the people here saying "I like this song, so he's wrong" (as far as some of the people posting in this thread so far goes).

And for whoever said he's just listing why he hates some of the Beatles songs and then should remind himself 'Oh I have to pick ones I like,' it's only the first 3 pages. It's a first or worst list. Even The Beatles aren't perfect.
    edited September 2009
    In all seriousness, it's a good read if you have a day to kill. Don't knock it because (She's So Heavy) is listed so low (it isn't that great, sorry).
  • LoveringLovering Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Robondacob;3003991 said:
    Terrible list. He was just using it as a way to voice his dislike over popular songs. Near the end he was like "Crap I forgot that I have to eventually say which songs I do like."
    I've given the list a second chance and skimmed through it. This comment seems to sum it up perfectly.
  • foolosophyfoolosophy Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Robondacob;3003991 said:
    Did you really read the whole list? Around the 100 mark (maybe even earlier) he cuts the harsh criticism.
  • RobondacobRobondacob Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I did look at all the choices and some were very strange. There is no way that Piggies is better than I Want You (She's So Heavy) or Good Day Sunshine.
  • The5thBeatleThe5thBeatle Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    horrible list when it comes to naming worst to best. Every song is good however. Just some obvious ones to point out,

I Want You- not nearly bad enough to be the second to last, is actually really good considering its the LAST GODDAMN SONG THEY RECORDED TOGETHER!

MANY of the songs listed better than Let It Be are NOT better.

and the obvious one.......

Shes leaving home is not 3rd best. Shouldnt even be in the top 50. Sure its great, but then again all of their songs are great, and that doesnt compare with many on the list.
    edited September 2009
    The5thBeatle;3004818 said:

I Want You- not nearly bad enough to be the second to last, is actually really good considering its the LAST GODDAMN SONG THEY RECORDED TOGETHER!
    That makes no sense. It's good because it was last? What kind of reasoning is that?
  • DuskbreakerDuskbreaker Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    jaychuck;3004890 said:
    That makes no sense. It's good because it was last? What kind of reasoning is that?
    He is saying that it is a good song despite the band arguing and bickering at each other. And it is, its one of my favorite songs, I love the ending, the simplicity of it, and that guitar riff
  • californicationcalifornication Opening Act
    edited September 2009