Is renting Lego:RB just to import unethical?

newmanatornewmanator Opening Act
edited September 2009 in LEGO: Rock Band
I wonder if there will be redeem codes like for the 20 free songs or if they will do the same thing they did with RB1.
I bought RB1, played a lot, imported when I got RB2 then sold it. I'm not sure if I want to just rent Lego:RB to import then bring it back the next day.

Comments

• yelladog32yelladog32 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    How is that unethical?
  • wcarnationwcarnation Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    nascarfan19;3007472 said:
    i seriously doubt video stores will include the manual for people who rent it first to steal the codes
    Who says there will be redeem codes?

I hope there isn't because that would destroy the chance of anything but new copies of the game being exportable. What do you do when you can't find a new copy?
  • FlawlessFlawless First Poster
    edited September 2009
    I hope it's a code in the manual.
  • ChainedsoulzChainedsoulz Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Even if the codes in the manual, once someone rents it, and if they do export it, it wouldn't work.
  • MeatmuppetMeatmuppet Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    "Hey, I came here to rent Lego Rock Band."
    "Here you go."
    *Tries the code, doesn't work*
    *Comes back*
    "This is the wrong one."
    "What?"
    "I need another one. What is the latest one you've got?"
    "Well, sir, you'll need to pay again."
    "I DON'T CARE ALL I WANT IS MY SONGS"
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited September 2009
    My guess is code in the manual and one-time import. We were lucky with the RB1 import being cheap, I'm guessing not so much for now on, heh
  • SirDrexlSirDrexl Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    kiggidykev;3007509 said:
    My guess is code in the manual and one-time import. We were lucky with the RB1 import being cheap, I'm guessing not so much for now on, heh
    I never thought you were supposed to be able to just sell off your copy of RB anyway. I know people will point to the export key, but I thought that was a nominal charge for people who remained owners of the game. I figured that using codes in the track packs and the Lego game was a way of stopping people from getting a cheap export from a borrowed copy.

Then again, I haven't heard any official position on this. If someone from Harmonix came out and said "oh sure, that export key covers the songs, no matter how you got the disc" I stand corrected.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited September 2009
    Just to expand my thoughts a little more: RB2 had that one-time use code for the 20 Free Songs, Beatles has a code in the manual for some as-of-yet-unknown reason

Stands to reason that LEGO will have a one-time use code. Otherwise I'm guessing a ton of people will just rent it to get the songs, and that would cut into the profits of the game severely.
  • C-Pr0mptC-Pr0mpt Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    How about you just read the threads on the same topic regarding RB1 and save us another 100 threads for this game.
  • princeofcupsprinceofcups Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Unethical? What's with the angsty guilt trip. If HMX let's you do it, then it's silly not to. If they don't want you to do it, then they'll make it technically impossible.
  • JglaubmanJglaubman Headliner
    edited September 2009
    They aren't going to have the export be like RB1. By the time RB1 was exportable, RB2 was coming out. They weren't going to make much more profit from RB1. They are not going to do this when LEGO comes out. My guess is a one time export code like ACDC.
  • CONAN9845CONAN9845 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    It's certainly in their best interest to have one time downloads per disc, and it's CERTAINLY in the best interest of the developers of L:RB to have one time downloads.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited September 2009
    There was a similar discussion not so long ago asking pretty much the same question about RB1. As I recall, that one didn't end well and eventually diverged into personal attacks and silly arguments about semantics.

Naturally, I'm already popping the popcorn for this thread.
  • BStu78BStu78 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Yes, that would be unethical. The additional licensing fee is likely negotiated on the basis of assuming that people purchasing the export key are legal owners of the game. Circumventing that would be unethical whether you can get away with it or not. Its frankly disturbing that so many people here will gladly confuse "able to get away with" and "ethical".
  • DaronMalakianXVIIDaronMalakianXVII Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    princeofcups;3007553 said:
    Unethical? What's with the angsty guilt trip. If HMX let's you do it, then it's silly not to. If they don't want you to do it, then they'll make it technically impossible.
    I agree.
  • DookieManDookieMan Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I'm guessing it will be a one time code, to avoid what happens with RB1. Unlike RB1, you'll be able to export it as a brand new game. You might wanna buy it, use the code, and sell it stating that you used the code?
  • blzbub74blzbub74 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    yelladog32;3007475 said:
    How is that unethical?
    It's unethical because exporting the songs is a service for those who OWN the disc. Even with RB1, the license for the export key stated that you are supposed to own and maintain possession of the disc.
  • irimusirimus Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    i don't care if they include a code or if they will be exported from the disk but PLEASE include an option to select what songs to export.
  • RealMessiahRealMessiah Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    princeofcups;3007553 said:
    Do they make it technically impossible to steal a game from the store? So that must be okay, right?
    edited September 2009
    blzbub74;3007721 said:
    It's unethical because exporting the songs is a service for those who OWN the disc. Even with RB1, the license for the export key stated that you are supposed to own and maintain possession of the disc.
    It would be great if they made you put the disc in every two weeks in order to make the exported songs playable.
  • SkittlesSkittles Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    nascarfan19;3007472 said:
    i seriously doubt video stores will include the manual for people who rent it first to steal the codes
    Blockbuster doesnt seem to be aware
  • edited September 2009
    Check your moral compass. It knows.
  • edited September 2009
    This question seems premature because we don't really know the logistics of how it will export. Having said that...

If you need to ask, you already know the answer. And it's yes.
  • imdwalrus05imdwalrus05 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    wcarnation;3007481 said:
    I hope there isn't because that would destroy the chance of anything but new copies of the game being exportable. What do you do when you can't find a new copy?
    I thought the same thing about AC/DC...and a year later, they've still got shelves full of it at my local Wal-Mart.

I highly doubt that finding a new copy of Lego Rock Band will be even remotely difficult anywhere in the near future. If and when it does happen YEARS down the line, maybe Harmonix will change the import method.
  • BevoTheWarriorBevoTheWarrior Cow Patty
    edited September 2009
    kiggidykev;3007541 said:
    Beatles has a code in the manual for some as-of-yet-unknown reason
    I thought that was the code for the Beatles t-shirt for your avatar on the 360.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited September 2009
    kiggidykev;3007509 said:
    My guess is code in the manual and one-time import.
    This is what I'm figuring too. So good luck getting that, OP.

I figure I may as well buy it even though I mainly just want it to export. I have the feeling it'll be an easy 1000 GS and it might be fun to try to make my main RB band in Lego form.

I went ahead and pre-ordered my copy.
  • newmanatornewmanator Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    RealMessiah;3007774 said:
    Do they make it technically impossible to steal a game from the store? So that must be okay, right?
    Good point.
    Also though, I believe it is a different dev team making it and not HMX and I wouldn't think the Lego RB team would want their product going to a HMX game for a pittance (if rented.)
  • I_Use_ShamwowsI_Use_Shamwows Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    I'm buying it, exporting it, then probably selling it once it's 100% done.

Everybody wins.
  • DaronMalakianXVIIDaronMalakianXVII Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    They got all the money they needed from that copy of the game once it is bought, so it doesn't matter.
    edited September 2009
    newmanator;3007857 said:
    Good point.
    Also though, I believe it is a different dev team making it and not HMX and I wouldn't think the Lego RB team would want their product going to a HMX game for a pittance (if rented.)
    That's a good call too.