Reaper - USB Mics?

Tr1cky TprTr1cky Tpr Rising Star
Is there anyway to get Reaper to work with a USB mic? I realise that it isn't the best but i wanted to test something...

Comments

• afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    i'd imagine reaper will have no problem with any valid audio input... allow me to finish my pb&j sandwich and i'll test with my RB mic...

*nomnomnom*

ok, here goes...
    i plug the mic into a USB slot, allow it about 5 seconds to install drivers, open up reaper, insert new track, hit "ar" to the left of the volume slider, and there we go...

oddly enough, i didn't even have to tell it to use the RB mic instead of my usual recording devices (perhaps because they're unplugged at the moment).
  • edited September 2009
    I'm sure Reaper is compatible with USB Microphone.

However, you will never use one while authoring. If you're thinking of recording with a USB mic, I highly recommend not doing that. The recording quality on USB mics is mostly horrible.
    edited September 2009
    HMXEnosity;3011725 said:

However, you will never use one while authoring. If you're thinking of recording with a USB mic, I highly recommend not doing that. The recording quality on USB mics is mostly horrible.
    this just in, HMX HATES LO-FI!!! :p

he's telling the truth, though... i've never heard a decent-quality USB mic.
  • Tr1cky TprTr1cky Tpr Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    But i'm clueless about what mics/equipment to get, and i live in UK so most links around here for shops are useless to me. Plus i am on a very tight budget, every penny i can save, the better.
  • Lizard_KingLizard_King Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    HMXEnosity;3011725 said:
    I'm sure Reaper is compatible with USB Microphone.

What he said. USB mics are no where near recording quality. id recommend a visit to your local Guitar Center and have a chat with the guys in Recording/Production.
    edited September 2009
    Lizard_King;3012286 said:
    What he said. USB mics are no where near recording quality. id recommend a visit to your local Guitar Center and have a chat with the guys in Recording/Production.
    Guitar Center does not exist in UK. :(
    edited September 2009
    Tr1cky Tpr;3012257 said:
    But i'm clueless about what mics/equipment to get, and i live in UK so most links around here for shops are useless to me. Plus i am on a very tight budget, every penny i can save, the better.
    i can definitely relate.
    i got into recording before i was even in high school, and this was in the mid-90's before PC recording was a commonplace (or cheap) thing.

your best bet is most likely to keep an eye out for at least one SM57 mic and a USB or firewire recording interface such as a presonus firebox (or lexicon alpha if you're flying totally solo and wanna save some cash for now).
    these items may seem kinda expensive to a beginner, but they'll make a HUGE difference for their price.
    edited September 2009
    afterstasis;3012333 said:
    i can definitely relate.
    i got into recording before i was even in high school, and this was in the mid-90's before PC recording was a commonplace (or cheap) thing.

your best bet is most likely to keep an eye out for at least one SM57 mic and a USB or firewire recording interface such as a presonus firebox (or lexicon alpha if you're flying totally solo and wanna save some cash for now).
    these items may seem kinda expensive to a beginner, but they'll make a HUGE difference for their price.
    One thing i don't understand is that you need to have your stems all in stereo, cept for drums. Does that mean i need two mics?
  • SwordofWhedonSwordofWhedon Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    You can just make it stereo in Reaper. You CAN record two mics, dunno why you'd want to tho
    edited September 2009
    Tr1cky Tpr;3012343 said:
    One thing i don't understand is that you need to have your stems all in stereo, cept for drums. Does that mean i need two mics?
    no, you don't need multiple mics to achieve this.

i personally normally only use one mic for recording acoustic guitar and two for electric.
    edited September 2009
    afterstasis;3013161 said:
    no, you don't need multiple mics to achieve this.

i personally normally only use one mic for recording acoustic guitar and two for electric.
    what i mean is can one mic record stereo?
  • RodCowRodCow Unsigned
    edited May 2012
    I know this is a very old thread but I had this problem today and a Google search brought up this forum&thread as the first return.So after fiddling about with my Reaper settings I've found that unless you use an ASIO driver,Reaper won't see your USB mic.Try ASIO4ALL for a free driver of this nature.Then all should be good.

Good luck to anyone looking to solve this problem like me.

RodCow
    aka
    the high writers
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6B5EBABD7FE09ACF