HMX dropped the ball

RobondacobRobondacob Opening Act
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
How could the not use this animation for Hello Goodbye? Hell, why didn't they use they use more of the whole music video?

Comments

• flippy1008flippy1008 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I think there is a limit. Most players wanna see their characters kinda, yknow, play the instrument as to swirl is around. Its a good video but it would require loads of moves!
  • Ecks-Bawks-KidEcks-Bawks-Kid Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Well they've certainly lost my purchase now.

• RobondacobRobondacob Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I know they want to show them actually playing the song, but in the actual gameplay, there is little to no dancing at all!
  • Rod_StixxRod_Stixx Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    We already have the music video. Having them merely duplicate the video for the dreamscape isn't terribly creative. I think it is a lot more fun to have the dreamscapes be original, and maybe toss in a bit of homage to the videos, movies, etc.
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited September 2009
    They're missing the hand wave from George in paperback writer too.
  • moneysignsmoneysigns Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    There's no guitar straps in the game. The guitar would be levitating in the air.
    edited September 2009
    I don't have a guitar strap on my guitar and I can still do it. Does that mean my guitar can levitate in the air? Maybe!
  • edited September 2009
    Rod_Stixx;3013680 said:
    We already have the music video. Having them merely duplicate the video for the dreamscape isn't terribly creative. I think it is a lot more fun to have the dreamscapes be original, and maybe toss in a bit of homage to the videos, movies, etc.
    That's exactly what I was going to say.

We wanted to make a game that was a celebration of the music and the message of The Beatles, not a slavish recreation of content that has already existed for 40 years. Hopefully the approach we took in the game will show you something you've loved for years (like Hello Goodbye, or the video you posted) in a new and exciting light.

This way you can have both the original video and something new that no one has ever seen before. So I guess if your idea of dropping the ball is striving to create something unique and beautiful that celebrates the brilliant original material then we probably dropped the ball pretty hard.
    edited September 2009
    Hello Goodbye's dreamscape isn't very original to begin with. It's only a flower background the whole time. The biggest change I could see in the dreamscape was from their Sgt. Peppers to their normal clothes.

I wasn't asking that you recreate the music video, I was hoping you guys could at least keep some of the things that made the music video stand out.
  • ScopitoneScopitone Opening Act
    edited September 2009
  • ThePaskaThePaska Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Rod_Stixx;3013680 said:
    THIS

I think they had two avenues to go, either copy some cool Beatles video from the past, making it somewhat nostalgic and fun. Or they could create something wonderful and new, and I'm kind of glad they did the latter.

This way we get to see something new and still have that old stuff to watch too. I'm sure all their dreamscapes are inspired by this video and others like it which is how we understand the Beatles.
    edited September 2009
    Way to totally misinterpret what I said. I didn't ask for a total recreation of the music video, I only wanted some of the cooler parts of it.
  • mva5580mva5580 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Is the dreamscape for Hello Goodbye not somewhat of a copy of the video? that would be a bit disappointing if it isn't. I'm not saying it has to be 100% the same, but they at least have a little bit of the goofy dancing at the end, right?
  • justintimeROAjustintimeROA Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    It does have a little bit of dancing at the end. Be content that they put in the dancing at all and at least paying its homage to the music video.
  • mva5580mva5580 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Ok, that's fine by me. I mean come on that's such a great part of that video, how could they not at least put in a little of it? I'm totally fine with them putting their own artistic interpretation on it, that makes total sense. But in some cases you've got to at least acknowledge the history that's there as well.
  • .Remix.Remix Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Yeah one tiny little thing is dropping the ball.
  • Jordan10laJordan10la Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Hell yeah someone posted a timed link (I swear I didn't create them)
  • sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Hell, they should've used the pitch the video is set in, but I still like the song either way.
  • Fo0dNippl3Fo0dNippl3 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    They have the Beatles waving in there like they do in the video, that's good enough for me.
  • PCTraitorPCTraitor Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    You shouldn't post these things even in jest some reviewer is liable to see it and add it to his review knocking 2 points off for it.
  • yaniv297yaniv297 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    As long as they keep George's hat, I'm happy.
  • edited September 2009
    mva5580;3013931 said:
    But in some cases you've got to at least acknowledge the history that's there as well.
    I think we've more than succeeded in acknowledging the history of The Beatles in this game, and I think we still would have succeeded even if we didn't have them dancing at the end of Hello, Goodbye.

Different people will want different things. One person in this thread wants to see them dancing, one person wants George's hat, one person wants specific animations... if we included all the little things that Beatles fans wanted to see in the game then our art team wouldn't have had anything to do. The Beatles did it before and they did it better than anyone, and we're not trying to recreate that. We'll have those little nods in songs here and there, but we're trying to do something new.
  • LockheedLockheed Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Why are we knitpicking here? The Beatles have finally been allowed to be released in a media format that many can enjoy and interact with. The fact that they have had so much support from the remaining members should speak for itself. You cannot please everyone but there is something there for every fan and novice alike. So Come Together, Right Now!
  • rayrox222rayrox222 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Lockheed;3016781 said:
    Why are we knitpicking here? The Beatles have finally been allowed to be released in a media format that many can enjoy and interact with. The fact that they have had so much support from the remaining members should speak for itself. You cannot please everyone but there is something there for every fan and novice alike. So Come Together, Right Now!
    I like how your sig clashes with your statement here :P
  • LockheedLockheed Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    rayrox222;3016806 said:
    I like how your sig clashes with your statement here :P
    I may be a walking contradiction but my logic is not, lol. :D
  • wcarnationwcarnation Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    There's a weird notion people have about music that the only way to do any good is to endlessly replicate the successes of the past

Yet those successes were not made in that same fashion