Is the Hofner worth getting the bundle?

leebuchananleebuchanan Unsigned
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
I'll be at Walmart at midnight, but I'm trying to decide whether to get just the game or spring for the bundle. I have RB1 drums, but I don't play them much. I use a wireless GH guitar and I already have two mics.

But I want that Hofner, and the drums would probably be a nice upgrade. Also, I just want to unpack that big box! Yes, I'm that stupid.

Can anyone that's played the Hofner give me some feedback? Build quality? Is it really bigger than the other controllers, or is it just the longer neck?

Thanks.

Comments

  • AtomicKnightAtomicKnight Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    The Hofner bass is a really nice quaility and heft. Beautiful actually. And, the drum is a nice upgrade with some nice pads which is much nicer than the RB1 set and seemingly better then the RB2, IMHO, but i'm not the drummer of the group...
  • DMSTEPHENSDMSTEPHENS Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I suppose its all down to personal preference. I normally use GH controllers, mainly the GH2 Xplorer, so the Hofner feels really weird in comparison.

    Firstly it looks amazing, the frets are very quiet and not at all "clacky" like the RB1 Strat (Never used RB2 instruments) and the strum bar is also nice and quiet, not too soft and with good rebound.

    The drums work very well, really sensitive, good rebound and straight away I was getting better scores than I was getting with my GH:WT kit.

    I wouldn't say it was worth it if your current drums work fine all you really wanted was the Bass, but if you like pretending your a kid at Christmas then go for it. :D
  • rayrox222rayrox222 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    are they never going to sell the hoffner bass as an individual instrument without the whole bundle? I absolutely love that bass but I simply do not have room for all the other plastic peripherals :P
  • GundampilotspazGundampilotspaz Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I'm going though this same problem right now. I've never owned any other rhythm game so I don't have any Instruments to use with TB:RB. While the bundle is really cool $250 is a lot to spend when I have this alternative:

    I could buy the original Rock Band 2 bundle on Amazon for $98.
    Then get a the Beatles software, a second mic, two mic stands, and a second guitar for $283.93.

    The same amount of equipment and the Rock Band 2 game after the Beatles bundle would cost $420.... $460 if I bought another one of the Beatles guitars.


    Is the quality of Beatles instruments worth the extra investment?
  • rayrox222rayrox222 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Gundampilotspaz;3016661 said:
    I'm going though this same problem right now. I've never owned any other rhythm game so I don't have any Instruments to use with TB:RB. While the bundle is really cool $250 is a lot to spend when I have this alternative:

    I could buy the original Rock Band 2 bundle on Amazon for $98.
    Then get a the Beatles software, a second mic, two mic stands, and a second guitar for $283.93.

    The same amount of equipment and the Rock Band 2 game after the Beatles bundle would cost $420.... $460 if I bought another one of the Beatles guitars.


    Is the quality of Beatles instruments worth the extra investment?
    short answer: I think you should get standalone beatles rb game and a RB 2 instrument bundle for a better deal money wise for quality instruments

    long answer:
    from the sounds of it the guitars and hoffner bass especially have a different feel to playing where the criticism is just "they're not used to it". You won't have that problem because you haven't played any of the other rhythm games, right? Or is it that you have played them just haven't personally owned other instruments yourself? Anyhow, quality wise the instruments have their own feel and plenty I've read are saying quality wise they are on par with rock band 2's and since the rb2 set is cheaper I would go with it. Truly, I think the LE bundle for beatles rock band is for fans who love the idea of instruments modeled after their beloved beatles but if you aren't that kind of beatles fan you shouldn't care so much.

    I'm in the position where I very much am interested in the hoffner bass, being a big McCartney fan and that thing looks amazing but to my knowledge they aren't currently being sold except as a part of the whole bundle which I don't want because I have RB peripherals already.
  • FarronFarron Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I bought the bundle, but for myself personally I feel a bit bummed about the Hofner.

    The long neck is very off putting.. it gives me a sore arm, having to reach further. :( I know the solo buttons are closer, but they're too small (and maybe too close). So I've just used it to do the automatic configuration, and then went back to the RB1 guitar, which is easy for me to play and hold.
  • rayrox222rayrox222 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Farron;3016729 said:
    I bought the bundle, but for myself personally I feel a bit bummed about the Hofner.

    The long neck is very off putting.. it gives me a sore arm, having to reach further. :( I know the solo buttons are closer, but they're too small (and maybe too close). So I've just used it to do the automatic configuration, and then went back to the RB1 guitar, which is easy for me to play and hold.
    no doubt it will have a different feel that's going to be offputting at first but once you get used to it god damn that thing looks cool as hell

    if I had one I'd definitely go the extra mile to get comfortable playing it :)
  • ScapegoatScapegoat Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Farron;3016729 said:
    I bought the bundle, but for myself personally I feel a bit bummed about the Hofner.

    The long neck is very off putting.. it gives me a sore arm, having to reach further. :( I know the solo buttons are closer, but they're too small (and maybe too close). So I've just used it to do the automatic configuration, and then went back to the RB1 guitar, which is easy for me to play and hold.
    lol imagine try playing a real bass?

    If many is an issue definitely go with the RB2 kit and game and Beatles disc.
  • Victory10Victory10 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Farron;3016729 said:
    I bought the bundle, but for myself personally I feel a bit bummed about the Hofner.

    The long neck is very off putting.. it gives me a sore arm, having to reach further. :( I know the solo buttons are closer, but they're too small (and maybe too close). So I've just used it to do the automatic configuration, and then went back to the RB1 guitar, which is easy for me to play and hold.
    I quite like the hofner, the neck feels more like a real guitar to me.
  • GundampilotspazGundampilotspaz Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    rayrox222;3016691 said:

    long answer:
    from the sounds of it the guitars and hoffner bass especially have a different feel to playing where the criticism is just "they're not used to it". You won't have that problem because you haven't played any of the other rhythm games, right? Or is it that you have played them just haven't personally owned other instruments yourself? Anyhow, quality wise the instruments have their own feel and plenty I've read are saying quality wise they are on par with rock band 2's and since the rb2 set is cheaper I would go with it. Truly, I think the LE bundle for beatles rock band is for fans who love the idea of instruments modeled after their beloved beatles but if you aren't that kind of beatles fan you shouldn't care so much.
    I have played a fair share of Guitar Hero and Rock Band. Most versions too. It's just that my friends are the ones who buy them and I just have mooched up till now. But I am a big Beatles fan. Maybe I'm not a big enough fan to really care about the instruments though. I just don't know if the benefit of holding the same guitar that Paul is in the game is worth an extra $90. (Or if I were to buy RB2, $140)

    The thing is, even if I buy the Beatles Bundle for the bass I should still get the $100 RB2 bundle. Since the second Guitar ($70), Second Microphone ($20), and the Rock Band 2 game ($50) make it a great value. I just need a second Mic stand and I'm gold.

    I want to hold the bass before I make a final decision. Hopefully Best Buy will have one on display.
  • rayrox222rayrox222 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Gundampilotspaz;3016787 said:
    I have played a fair share of Guitar Hero and Rock Band. Most versions too. It's just that my friends are the ones who buy them and I just have mooched up till now. But I am a big Beatles fan. Maybe I'm not a big enough fan to really care about the instruments though. I just don't know if the benefit of holding the same guitar that Paul is in the game is worth an extra $90. (Or if I were to buy RB2, $140)

    The thing is, even if I buy the Beatles Bundle for the bass I should still get the $100 RB2 bundle. Since the second Guitar ($70), Second Microphone ($20), and the Rock Band 2 game ($50) make it a great value. I just need a second Mic stand and I'm gold.

    I want to hold the bass before I make a final decision. Hopefully Best Buy will have one on display.
    hehe once bass is sold individually I'll probably be all over it . . . at the very least if one of my RB guitars goes bad it'll be the hoffner that replaces it :)
  • GundampilotspazGundampilotspaz Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    rayrox222;3016817 said:
    hehe once bass is sold individually I'll probably be all over it . . . at the very least if one of my RB guitars goes bad it'll be the hoffner that replaces it :)
    Are they going to sell it individually?
  • ChaosraidenChaosraiden Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I stupid bloody tuesday hope so.
  • rayrox222rayrox222 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Chaosraiden;3016928 said:
    I stupid bloody tuesday hope so.
    me too

    I mean it makes sense that they would

    they have got to realize there are a ton of consumers out there that would be interested in this or that but are in a position where it is simply impractical to get a whole set when the plain fact is all of these musical plastic peripherals game after game with each's own "special edition bundle" that it's just too much

    and if they don't have that business sense I'm sure there are plenty who are of the opinion that the hoffner bass doesn't feel right and "wah I don't like it" will sell it on ebay in excellent condition for a reasonable price :)

    we'll seeeeeee!
  • ArothmanMusicArothmanMusic Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I hope they don't sell it individually. I mean, that's part of the reason you shell out the extra cash for the 'deluxe' box... so you can have something that no one else has (except aftermarket sales of course). If I spend $250 and then they turn around and start selling the parts separately, it sort of devalues the exclusivity of the bundle, no?

    Since this is my first RB set, and I've always thought the Höfner was a badass looking instrument (Beatle fan since birth), getting the deluxe kit was a no-brainer for me. Very much looking forward to picking up my pre-order this afternoon!
  • LTJska82LTJska82 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    rayrox222;3017091 said:
    and if they don't have that business sense I'm sure there are plenty who are of the opinion that the hoffner bass doesn't feel right and "wah I don't like it" will sell it on ebay in excellent condition for a reasonable price :)
    Just checked "the Bay" hoping for some Hofners on it and there is only one up. A PS3 version and it's already up to $100+.

    Hopefully they do decide to sell the Hofner separately because I would like to get one. As the bass player for my band I would actually like to play an instrument that is a bass.
  • ChaosraidenChaosraiden Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    The problem with Exclusitivity is that any that come out seperately is going to be ultra-expensive and snapped up quickly.
  • rayrox222rayrox222 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    ArothmanMusic;3017111 said:
    I hope they don't sell it individually. I mean, that's part of the reason you shell out the extra cash for the 'deluxe' box... so you can have something that no one else has (except aftermarket sales of course). If I spend $250 and then they turn around and start selling the parts separately, it sort of devalues the exclusivity of the bundle, no?

    Since this is my first RB set, and I've always thought the Höfner was a badass looking instrument (Beatle fan since birth), getting the deluxe kit was a no-brainer for me. Very much looking forward to picking up my pre-order this afternoon!
    see, the thing is I don't know if by limited edition they mean those specific model instruments are limited in supply in that specific package as an entire bundle or if it extends to all of the individual instruments as stand alones

    if they do come out with individuals they would obviously be cheaper than a whole box set with the game and every one of those instruments and anyone who pays $100 for the hoffner bass on ebay is going to feel silly when it's sold individually for more like half of that cost.

    I'd love to have a hoffner bass but beatles fan that I am, I can still live without it :) . . . I think . . . somehow :P
  • hangman522hangman522 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    The Hofner is beautiful, it's quiet and feels more authentic than any other controller. My friend who works at gamestop said that the bass will only be in the bundle and that limited edition memorabilia isn't going to be around for too long.
  • BevoTheWarriorBevoTheWarrior Cow Patty
    edited September 2009
    Chaosraiden;3016928 said:
    I stupid bloody tuesday hope so.
    Best post I've read in a long time. :D
  • rayrox222rayrox222 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    hangman522;3017590 said:
    The Hofner is beautiful, it's quiet and feels more authentic than any other controller. My friend who works at gamestop said that the bass will only be in the bundle and that limited edition memorabilia isn't going to be around for too long.
    he could only know as we all do that is true "for the time being" but it's entirely up to Harmonix whether to package individual instruments and sell them apart from a full bundle

    I think it'd be smart of the company as I imagine many would go for the hofner bass for obvious reasons :)

    The way I see it, the value of the LE bundle is twofold:

    1) Beatles authentic modeled instruments available on day one of the game's launch with the game

    2) at a net sum of the $200 whatever cost of the bundle is, later on, in theory, if one were to buy each individual Beatles instrument AND the game as single items the total cost would be significantly higher than the bundle

    In my case, interest in the Hofner model bass was not great enough for me to justify the purchase of an entire bundle with the game when I'm already perfectly happy with my rock band 2 drums and content with my two rock band guitars. Yes I'd get a free mic stand and microphone and I could use a second mic, but in my case I just got the game and will use the old instruments, got a good deal on amazon ordering a mic stand and the singstar mics which are compatible with Beatles Rock Band on my PS 3 and the other nice thing about those mics is they share one USB port.

    So that is where I stand, and if someone were to sell the hofner bass controller for a reasonable price used and in good condition I might buy it to replace one of my rock band guitars should one of them go bad (they're still going strong well over a year now though). That's just where I stand in terms of my consumer interest in these nifty little toys :)
  • mva5580mva5580 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    The Hofner is stunning. I can't take my eyes off it lol.
  • pal0fexpal0fex Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    The hofner is really nice and looks awesome. The only issue is the neck is a tiny bit flimsy since its so long.
  • hakko504hakko504 Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Well, I like the looks of the Höfner, but in our house me and my wife will fight for the GH:M guitar in the future. It's very big and it makes it not very comfortable for us to play it. She tried it yesterday and handed me it after the first song saying, "you play it, I can't reach the fret buttons". Might need to go get one of them Gretch or Rickenbacker after all.
  • RoofTopRookieRoofTopRookie Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    if they do sell it separately, im sure it will be in the $125 range
  • rayrox222rayrox222 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    RoofTopRookie;3020071 said:
    if they do sell it separately, im sure it will be in the $125 range
    that there's some damn expensive plastic :P
  • BookerBooker Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    I liked it so much I'm now going to try and sell off all my RB1 gear so I can get enought to buy one of the guitars :D
  • pal0fexpal0fex Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I have the Gretsch and on the back of the box it reads:

    "Also Look For: The Beatles Wireless Rickenbacker 325 Guitar Controller (sold separately) and the Beatles Wirless Hofner Bass Controller as part of the Beatles: Rock Band Limited Edition bundle."

    So if they do plan on releasing the Hofner by itself its not going to be for awhile. I personally think they'll never do it.

    I really like the neck length on the Hofner, its almost the length of a real guitar neck.
Sign In or Register to comment.