Are Harmonix going to patch this?

NerazzurriNerazzurri Unsigned
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
I'm kind of disappointed by the fact that you can't do harmonies online. Since I'll only be playing by myself most of the time or with people who have no interest in the Beatles.

I hope they'll add that ability online. Since, it won't be impossible to do. But I guess if they decided to not do it on disc they won't. Oh, well.

It's just a letdown for me since I probably won't use harmonies offline.

/end rant

Comments

• fuselage321fuselage321 Ringo Impersonator
    edited September 2009
    You can do harmonies online, they just ahve to be on the same console.
  • NerazzurriNerazzurri Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, I'm saying I can't do that.
  • ArchangelZeroArchangelZero Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    What, be on different consoles?

That puts too much of a strain on the online connection, even the XBOX can't handle that.
  • PCTraitorPCTraitor Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    It's impossible to do harmonies with someone you can't hear.
  • ElmakaiElmakai Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I'm really disappointed by this. This was the feature I was looking forward to the most in TB:RB. Since I live in a small town, and the very few people I know that want to play this like to sing, I was hoping to sing harmony with people online. Why can't the game simply support more than 4 people online?

I understand the reasoning behind linking 3 mics to 1 controller, so that way a console can support the extra 2 people (console's max is 4). But couldn't online play simply support 6 people? I can't imagine it being that hard.

As far as hearing harmonies go, you wouldn't need to hear harmony with the person playing online, only the actual singing in the game. If the person online was singing off-key, then that would make your harmony quite a bit harder.
  • AbcmsajAbcmsaj Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Yeah.. this needs to be fixed. I have a friend who likes to drum and sing, and I guitar and sing, and we can't do harmonies over XBL... it's disappointing.
    edited September 2009
    What really bugs me about this is there is no way Harmonix didn't think about this during development. I can't imagine someone saying "You know, we got the bass, guitar, drums, and vocals to multiplay with each other, but people won't want to sing harmony online. We shouldn't bother putting that feature in."
  • ThePaskaThePaska Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Elmakai;3016022 said:
    What really bugs me about this is there is no way Harmonix didn't think about this during development. I can't imagine someone saying "You know, we got the bass, guitar, drums, and vocals to multiplay with each other, but people won't want to sing harmony online. We shouldn't bother putting that feature in."
    I'm sure they went out of their way to try and make it possible for harmonies to be done accross consoles. I just think it is not possible to do and do well. Similar to how you can't hear the singers voice across consoles when playing online in Rock Band.

They do this so that the gameplay is optimal. It is tough to get rhythm games to play correctly online when every little bit of timing and accuracy matters.
  • T-HybridT-Hybrid Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    I don't think people quite get why you can't do harmonies across consoles. Look at how it's configured.

All three microphones are tied to one 360 controller.

Read that again.

One 360 controller...

It's still a four player game, but the vocalist is connected to three microphones. And if you remember how harmonies work in this game, any of the three can switch to any part at any time.

So not only would you need to somehow have one 360 controller connect across multiple consoles (impossible?), but you'd need to figure out a way for all three singers to be able to get feedback quick enough to know who would take which parts of the harmonies. Because they could potentially switch based on who's able to sing what.

I don't think it's possible given the 360 infrastructure, let alone the game itself.
  • InsaneDelightInsaneDelight Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Elmakai;3015982 said:
    This was the feature I was looking forward to the most in TB:RB.
    It was never a feature. It was stated it wasn't possible before the game came out.
  • JuiceJiveJuiceJive Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Unless you want the extra harmonies for scoring purposes, I really don't know what you're missing out on. If you could sing harmony online, you still wouldn't be able to hear each other sing, so, if you and a drum-playing buddy both enjoy singing while you play, one of you can sing lead for points while the other sings along on his end as if he were singing harmony without points. Or hell, he could sing Yankee Doodle for as much as it effects the game or anyone else not in the room with him.
  • marcio antoniomarcio antonio Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    ROFLMAO You should get Guitar Hero 5, the best music game ever. BTW it allow you to sing with another four people or play with eight people in each instrument you want. Don't waste your time.
  • GryffindorGryffindor Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    marcio antonio;3016445 said:
    ROFLMAO You should get Guitar Hero 5, the best music game ever. BTW it allow you to sing with another four people or play with eight people in each instrument you want. Don't waste your time.
    As much as I hate the vocal engine on GH5 the poster has a point. You can have 4 people playing vocals at the same time in that game. If it's possible there, why not in The Beatles?
  • ArchangelZeroArchangelZero Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Gryffindor;3016512 said:
    As much as I hate the vocal engine on GH5 the poster has a point. You can have 4 people playing vocals at the same time in that game. If it's possible there, why not in The Beatles?
    Because puts too much strain on the connections as they're linked to a single vocal track rather than separate ones. And the vox is linked to one controller.

BTW, wtf with the GH troll.
  • mobhit101mobhit101 Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    JuiceJive;3016444 said:
    Unless you want the extra harmonies for scoring purposes, I really don't know what you're missing out on. If you could sing harmony online, you still wouldn't be able to hear each other sing, so, if you and a drum-playing buddy both enjoy singing while you play, one of you can sing lead for points while the other sings along on his end as if he were singing harmony without points. Or hell, he could sing Yankee Doodle for as much as it effects the game or anyone else not in the room with him.
    Exactly. You guys still wouldn't be able to hear each other even if you could do online harmonies. Technically, you will always get harmonies cause the Beatles will be singing along with you and you'll be able to hear that.
  • WhizKidRavenWhizKidRaven Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Since PS3 has the capabilities for 7 controllers, does anyone know if it'd work on there?
  • GryffindorGryffindor Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    ArchangelZero;3016534 said:
    Because puts too much strain on the connections as they're linked to a single vocal track rather than separate ones. And the vox is linked to one controller.

BTW, wtf with the GH troll.
    In GH5 you SHARE one vocal highway also. They could have programmed the game for online play with multiple controllers for vocals. There are MANY games that have far more than 4 player co-op modes that seem to function just fine.

I know some people will say that it will mess up the double and triple fabs but we already have the capability in the form of Union Bonuses on drums, bass & guitar.

I REALLY disliked GH5 but have to wonder why they could get multiple vocalists to work at different locations but the superior game, RB, couldn't get it to work?
  • SEANTOURAGESEANTOURAGE Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I think it can be done..you don't hear the singer during online play, because they are not transmitting the voice data, they are just sending score info back and forth. So it shouldn't have to send that much more data if the harmonies were included.
  • MaxRenn82MaxRenn82 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I agree. I was hoping to do the harmonies with people online. They could have simply charted each singers voice (which they did correct?) and then you can just pick who's part you wanna sing. No need for 3 lines or anything. I can't imagine that boggling the minds of the people at Harmonix. And it'd probably be easier when not in a room with 2 other people who can't sing very good anyway, because you could hear the actual song better. :p

That would also be cool for the guitar parts, John or Georges and you could pick.
  • MaxRenn82MaxRenn82 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    JuiceJive;3016444 said:
    I dunno, fun? Seeing if you can do it? Why do we play these games anyway when you think about it?

Oh, and if you like to get achievements/trophies you'll have to be able to do the harmonies if you want 'em all.
    edited September 2009
    Okay, I would like to address a few reasons why supposedly this cannot happen.

1.) It would put too much strain on the system.

This is obviously not true for several reasons. The first is GH5 does it. The second is that if a friend of mine and I were playing online but on separate consoles, and we both wanted to sing, the mics would just have to be tied to our own controllers. So my system would worry about my mic and console, and his on his.

2.) If you can't hear the other singer, then you can't harmonize.

Being that I was a music theory major at a university, and I lettered in choir (along with band, orchestra, and jazz band) my senior year in high school, I have no doubt in my mind this is completely untrue. When learning to sing 4 part harmony in choir, each part needs to be able to sing independently of the other parts before they can sing in good pitch with other parts. In other words, you don't need to hear someone singing a high note for you to sing a low note. In fact, not hearing other parts is sometimes easier than actually hearing it.

3.) (This next point hasn't been mentioned yet, but I want to address it because I know someone will bring it up to try to argue that this still isn't possible.) It would be too complicated to set up; i.e. 2 people on one console, while another would be playing online.

During local play, I can see why you would want to tie in all vocals on one controller. It makes sense. Online play though could simply have up to 3 players on the mic part, similar to 2 guitar players. When I would log on per se, I would be asked how many people will be singing from my controller. If I chose one, then 2 more spots are open. If I chose 2, then one, and so on. Online harmony play would work exactly the same, meaning that if only one person is singing then all 3 singers would be scored the same way.

I know since the mechanics of the gameplay online would have to change a little to accomplish this, so I understand that this won't be an overnight fix. But it seems that without this feature, the game is no different than a track pack for Rock Band. I can sing/drum/play guitar online already. If that were the case, The Beatles should've been DLC.
  • ArothmanMusicArothmanMusic Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I would imagine the technical infrastructure involved in connecting up to three vocalists in realtime over the net while maintaining perfect sync of the background music and have them all be able to hear each other without feedback while singing would just be nuts. You'd be relying a lot on all three vocalists having really good internet connections, as well as headsets instead of the standard mic, right?
  • PubknightPubknight Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    GH5 doesn't do harmonies.
    Multiple people doing vocals is not the same thing as multiple people doing vocal harmonies in a song.
  • RealMessiahRealMessiah Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Gryffindor;3016512 said:
    Four players doing vocals on the same track is NOT the same thing as harmonies...
  • FrederfFrederf Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Wow, soooo much misinformation. The only reason TB:RB can't do split multiplayer multi-vocals is due to how Harmonix designed the game, not any actual limitations to the method.

Myth #1: High fidelity vocal information would have to be sent over the network.

Bzzzt, wrong. All singers can be judged on the local machine and then the results of that judging (tiny data size) can be shared across the network with ease. Tug of War with 2 vocalists online in Rock Band 2 anyone?

Myth #2A: You need to be in the same room as the person you are harmonizing with.

Gosh I'm sure it's a lot easier to sing the harmony when you can hear the lead vocals. How can you sing harmony when the lead singer is across the Internet? You harmonize with the voice recording on your local disk. You don't need the real life player to harmonize with when you have original Beatles recordings at your fingertips. Think people!

Myth 2B: The hardware requires both singers to be local.

The harmony part can simply be a fully independent vocal track. The harmony part requires an A-flat so you sing an A-flat... what the lead vocals are doing is irrelevant. I'm sure when multiple singers share the same console that tricks are used to combine the vocal calculations to save hardware resources. However deciding to only use the non-independent vocal method universally is just lazy or shortsighted on Harmonix's part.

Myth #3: All singers are tied to a single controller.

Only by design, they are. Harmonix could have just as easily made 3-singers/3-controllers. Now I know some of you are going to say that it's better 3-singers/1-controller but now here's the kicker... you can have both and even more options. There's no law saying that X-singers and Y-controllers means that X and Y have to be a static number across the entire game. Why not depending on the situation Controller1 combines singers A+B while Controller2 handles singer C? The game could configure itself based on the requirements of the situation.
  • trench762trench762 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    this was my only dissappointment with the game, otherwise I was pleasantly suprised, never been a huge beatles fan, but the game features some great music and fun songs. But since not many of my friends sing on RB and even less sing and like the beatles, I'll probably never get to use the feature.
  • edited September 2009
    hey guys - the vocals are controlled by one controller so that itself creates an issue for online play.

We did research this pretty thoroughly while developing the game and didn't find it technically feasible or terribly compelling (especially given that there'd be no way to hear the person you'd harmonize with).
This discussion has been closed.