The Beatles: Rock Band. Add a game review or opinion!

MagnetMagnet Moderator
edited November 2013 in The Beatles: Rock Band
9-9-09 has arrived! Over the coming days and weeks, you will undoubtedly have plenty to say... what you like, what you don't, funny stories, and tales of triumph.

In the interest of organization, here is an official thread to speak your mind.

I* want to keep the thread productive, so here are the base rules:

- Don't flame others' reviews. At all.

- Try to be specific in what you like or don't like.

- Give yourself plenty of time before responding, so you have enough playtime to make informed opinions.

- "First" "reserved" and similar remarks are spam, add clutter, and will be removed.

*Note: thread idea and most of its contents ruthlessly plagiarized from Apples

Comments

• Cpt. OverkillCpt. Overkill (Briefly) Touched by a Banhammer
    edited September 2009
    Chairchucker;3016517 said:
    Agreed! I'm very disappointed with my apple. I prefer oranges, and 95% of fruit eaters also prefer oranges. I'm taking my business to the orange sellers down the road.
    Fail troll is fail.

Just ignore him. He made a post about how GH5 was the best game ever, so... obvious troll is obvious.
  • mobhit101mobhit101 Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Just picked it up at the Best Buy event in Atlanta! I got to play a few of the songs there. So far, so good!

I really wish I would have taken the day off :-\

EDIT***

I just got done playing through the story mode with a bunch of friends and it was fantastic! Especially going back and singing the songs earlier in the game when I was too shy [read: too sober] to sing. Loved just about every bit of it! I can't wait for my official Beatlemania party Friday night!
  • bmanincbmaninc Wetter of Fine Pants
    edited September 2009
    mobhit101;3016527 said:
    Just picked it up at the Best Buy event in Atlanta! I got to play a few of the songs there. So far, so good!

I really wish I would have taken the day off :-\
    But you can! Just feel a bit sick, go into the washroom, make a few heaving sounds, and leave. You're golden. Its bulletproof.
  • McCREEMcCREE Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    marcio antonio;3016498 said:
    I'm really very disappointed with this game.
    To colorful, short career, can't import songs from RB2, WTF Harmonix and the same old gameplay from RB games, nothing new. I hate to sing, so harmonies features is not a big deal to me and 95% of the gamers, since most of us prefer guitar or drums.
    I'm going to pass this one and stick with the awesome Guitar Hero 5.
    you're going to pass?

you mean you're writing a review of a game you haven't even played?

and in this 'review' your first point is the game is too colorful?

hmm....
  • marcio antoniomarcio antonio Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    @McCREE
    I played with a friend who get early,so I'm pretty sure about what I'm talking about.
    About the colorful comment: I prefer the new GH style, less color and more easy to view the notes, IMO.
    BTW, I thought I coul'd express my opinion about a game that not ads nothing new instead of a few great songs from a great band.
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited September 2009
    marcio antonio;3016599 said:
    @McCREE
    I played with a friend who get early,so I'm pretty sure about what I'm talking about.
    About the colorful comment: I prefer the new GH style, less color and more easy to view the notes, IMO.
    BTW, I thought I coul'd express my opinion about a game that not ads nothing new instead of a few great songs from a great band.
    The Beatles are very colorful. And you can express your opinion just know your facts. GH has ALSO been reviewed as the same game as before, they just threw in more things (but still SAME GAME).

If you prefer one over the other, fine. I don't think this thread is intented to be GH5 vs. TB:RB so we all know what will happen if that becomes the main point of comparison.

First impressions on it are good for me. Vocal system seems fun. Been reading about a few issues, but will have to play through multiple songs to see what might be happening. I'm not much of a 'hardcore' player so enjoyment factor (not difficulty) should be good for me.
  • forrest99forrest99 Banned
    edited September 2009
    I'll let you know as soon as the price drops to about 30. 60 dollars for 45 songs is crazy. Rock Band 2 has 85 without the free dlc and its 40
  • Bosco32Bosco32 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    It's really amazing. The photos, the trivia, the prizes. I love the little cutscenes and basically allowing the music to be the storyline in story mode. It's such a great experience.
  • Runa216Runa216 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I'm going to wait a bit to get my copy. I understand this is going to be a phenomenal game, and eveything I've seen of it looks outstanding, but I've never been a huge fan of the beatles, and I've got a lot of DLC that I can play.

It's on my to-get list, but I don't know when.
  • IleleeIlelee Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Got home around 3pm, was through the story mode with a friend (expert guitar + bass), around 6.30pm. So it was very short, and very easy (something I kinda knew to expect). Played some songs with drums, and Ringo's beats are definitely not that exiting to play.

I liked the songs, relaxing and fun to play and listen, graphics are nice and all, but I was quite underwhelmed with the extras included. It was marketed as a story where you play through the Beatles career, but frankly it didn't feel like it. 30 second, psychedelic animations between sets, no story or anything. All the info seems to be tied to the photos you collect, and some short videos, sound clips, but frankly all of those are a bit too much (hardcore) Beatles collector stuff, not basic info for a person new to Beatles (like I happen to be). Feels like HMX was trying to too hard to find something, which Beatles maniacs do not know and didn't focus enough on the basic info and story.

Only 45 songs (which most of then are very short) and no Beatles maniacs around me, I have feeling that the game will not see play that often, especially when the other alternative is just start RB2 with 500 - 600 songs collection.

So yeah, this far I have been somewhat disappointed for what I got with my money, it should have included more songs and more extra material.
  • S-NovaS-Nova Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Rented it today

Easy on the ears and eyes. It's OK for me, but would be great for Beatles fans and their style of music. I don't think the Metal, Grunge, or Punk rockers (of which I consider myself the same ilk) will take to it very well. But it's not meant for them, so who cares?
  • naruminarumi Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I had been drooling over Beatles Rockband for awhile and picked up RB2 when they had the price drop recently.

My mother (age 62); the one who got me hooked on the Beatles when I was a kid; thought I was crazy and wanted nothing to do with it.

So, I picked up my preorder of The Bealtes this morning and handed her the microphone and told her to sing, and set for no fail so she wouldn't stress it while I played guitar.

3 songs later and my mother was calling her sister trying to get her to come over and play too.

Now she wants to teach my daughter how to play the guitar so we'll have a family band lol

So yeah, the Beatles is definitly a winner in my book!
  • rayrox222rayrox222 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    narumi;3017247 said:
    I had been drooling over Beatles Rockband for awhile and picked up RB2 when they had the price drop recently.

My mother (age 62); the one who got me hooked on the Beatles when I was a kid; thought I was crazy and wanted nothing to do with it.

So, I picked up my preorder of The Bealtes this morning and handed her the microphone and told her to sing, and set for no fail so she wouldn't stress it while I played guitar.

3 songs later and my mother was calling her sister trying to get her to come over and play too.

Now she wants to teach my daughter how to play the guitar so we'll have a family band lol

So yeah, the Beatles is definitly a winner in my book!
    cute story :) loved it

my question is, based on hearing your mother sing the songs, do you think turning no fail mode on was a necessary precaution or do you think now that you underrated her singing talent? ;)
  • MikeSigMikeSig Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    S-Nova;3017158 said:
    Rented it today

Easy on the ears and eyes. It's OK for me, but would be great for Beatles fans and their style of music. I don't think the Metal, Grunge, or Punk rockers (of which I consider myself the same ilk) will take to it very well. But it's not meant for them, so who cares?
    I don't think the Beatles audience excludes Metal/Grunge/Punk rockers. I would consider most of my twenty-something friends and I as grunge/punk people, and we are also Beatles fans.

As for the game, I played for about 5 hours yesterday and have to applaud Harmonix's efforts. Everything from the audio quality to the art direction is spot-on. As I mentioned on Twitter yesterday, I couldn't stop smiling while playing. There's definitely some concentrated electronic joy to be found in The Beatles: Rock Band.
  • phil1737phil1737 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Since this a review thread I am guessing that you have all had a good play around with it. There is something I am struggling with and wondered if anyone could give me a little help. I can't seem to figure out how to add a player, my mate set it all up when we received it this morning and it asked him to put in his name, now whenever I try to have a go it comes up with his name and adds to his score. How do I set up my own? I've been trying to figure this out for about 6 hours now and i'm sure it's going to be something really simple.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
  • acciobeeracciobeer Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Just finished story mode and I have to say the game is as good as I could have ever hoped. While I wish there had been more songs I can honestly say this will receive much more replay than Rock Band or Guitar Hero simply because I love ALL 45 songs.

Like a lot people I was disappointed when I heard that "The End" was the final song but after experiencing it in the context of the game I've done a complete turnaround. You really go on an emotional journey playing this game and that song and it's lyrics are the perfect capper. The ending cinematic before playing the encore left me speechless.
  • MexMex Mex Type Thing
    edited September 2009
    I hate to sing, so harmonies features is not a big deal to me and 95% of the gamers, since most of us prefer guitar or drums.
    Where do you get your stats bro?
  • ParrotislaParrotisla Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    OMG!!! This game is absolutely amazing. Very well done. I'm hooked, prolly gonna finish the game today. I left wanting to play again and agaun after every song. The Dreamscapes are amazing. I don't think they could have made the game any better, I think it may actually be a perfect game.
  • UmpaUmpa Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Thank you Harmonx! What a great experience! Love the dreamscapes!
  • ScravenScraven Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I rented it today and found out that my wife bought me a copy as a surprise.

I like the game play and quality of the game but I must admit, for someone who has spent easy $200 on points cards to DL content for RB1 and RB2 I am very disappointed that you cannot DL the tracks to RB2.

Now i am expected to DL content for a different game and have two "Games" going at the same time. This game is what I would call a simple CASH GRAB and since I have not opened my copy that my wife purchased it will be going back to the store tomorrow.

I stopped purchasing Guitar Hero after GH 3 for that exact reason and have not purchased another version of it nor will I until I can bring all the content forward.

If I do decide to buy, it will be previously played cause there is no point in spending $60 now when can get for 1/2 or better in a few months.
  • UncleEUncleE Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I'm really very disappointed with this game.
    To colorful, short career, can't import songs from RB2, WTF Harmonix and the same old gameplay from RB games, nothing new. I hate to sing, so harmonies features is not a big deal to me and 95% of the gamers, since most of us prefer guitar or drums.
    I'm going to pass this one and stick with the awesome Guitar Hero 5.
    Visual masterpiece. Boring game play. was this made for grandpa or gamers?
  • PleasePleaseMeatPleasePleaseMeat Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    I sprinted home from school today to find something on the table. A cardboard box and two parcels. I jumped for joy. Finally!

The parcels were my microphones. A Rock Band one for £3, a Guitar Hero one for £6. The GH mic seems to flutter on and off between working and not working. RB works perfectly. Thanks, HMX!

The game is stunning. In the breaks between vocal parts I looked at what was happening on screen. The Beatles look incredible. HMX have nailed their styles of playing (John bobbing up and down, holding his guitar parallel to the ground).

It is easier than previous RB games (I started out on Hard vox for the first few chapters, to get a taste for the game), but that doesn't distract you at all.

Dad had a go. He's the biggest Beatles fan in our family. He sang 'Ticket to Ride' and it was terrible. I wasn't expecting much, though (he was on Medium). Mum isn't as big a fan, but she had a go anyway. We sang Ticket to Ride, and got 100%.

She then went on to sing I Feel Fine with me, and Getting Better by herself.

The harmonies work perfectly. It sounds great. The vocals chart can get a little crowded during songs like Back in the USSR, where there are three different parts being played, but with the help of the vocal trainer, you'll soon get used to these.

Overall, I don't regret buying the Beatles Rock Band at all. It looks stunning, plays brilliantly, and if it's marketed right, will easily grind sales of GH5 into the dust. Who needs four drummers when you can have three-point harmonies?

My only regret is purchasing a shoddy mic. I'll have to return it, and get another RB one!

Well done, Harmonix. You win several interwebs.
  • SkeleshredderSkeleshredder Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I won't retread everything that's already been said, so here are the essentials:

The game: Awesome.

The Gretsch: Exquisite.

That is all.
  • kenshin_escakenshin_esca Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    First off great game guys. I like the presentation, great dreamscapes. I wish there was more extras like video interviews or something like that other than just photos with info about the songs. Would've been cool if Paul or Ringo could've done some interviews giving information and cool things about the making of each song.
    Things that need to be fixed:

- You need to add headset support. It's been in other rock band games. why isn't it in this game. I understand if not all 3 people can sing at once but if you don't have a stand alone microphone at least 1 person could rock the vocals. I mean seriously I know you guys want people to buy the microphones but you're alienating those that just have headsets.

- Blue notes look too much like star power notes. I suggest a darker blue.

- This one is a request rather than something that needs to be fixed. You really need to add more DLC from the Beatles first 4-5 albums.
  • AyreonAyreon Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    The game is great, but I have to say the graphics bother me... while playing.. Im missing so many notes because of it.. maybe it is because Im used to old music bar.. wish there was a way for an option to turn it off
  • TonytTonyt Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I will probaly pick this up tomorrow, it came out today here in the UK.

Im not a huge Beatles fan but its another 45 songs and money is not an issue so the problem some people have with value is not one I would share.

I would like some one to confirm the Ion works like it does in RB2, where you can use your 3 cymbals. RB1 and AC/DC did not, granted this was before RB2 came out, so I would expect The Beatles to incorporate this as is in RB2, just looking for a confirmation i guess.:)
  • sgt_melinsgt_melin Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I love the game, the color and dreamscape stuff. only 2 complaing, way to few songs, and too short story mode. this is a expensive game, so more song should be in it.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    After playing with my brother for a bit, I am really loving The Beatles rock band. I got a chance to play All You Need is Love earlier... I was actually pretty happy they charted other instruments.

Definitely see myself putting many hours into the game... haven't even tried vocals or drums yet. From my experience so far, the bass lines are very fun, particularly I Saw Her Standing There (which I learned on real bass about a week ago).
  • mtacey27mtacey27 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    WHERE IS OB-LA-DI, OB-LA-DA????????????? LOVE the Beatles and so very glad to own this on Rock Band, CAN'T believe that one is not on there!!!!! WHAT THE HECK????
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited September 2009
    I am very pleased with how The Beatles: Rock Band so far. I just started the Budokan on my exp drums career, and am at Shea Stadium for the exp guitar career. First, I was surprised at the sheer trickiness of some of the songs, like Twist and Shout and I Wanna Be Your Man, and also how freaking bad I have gotten at music games. I had to calibrate my system like crazy, and I still sucked! I'll be picking up a second microphone tomorrow so I can start a voxbass/harmonitar career with my sis. The mixing done for this game is stunning. Eight Days a Week sounds like it was produced yesterday.

Also: the backgrounds look better than what I saw on the internet. The little things are what make it awesome: George winking and smiling at GJohn after his solo on Can't Buy Me Love. Ringo raising his eyebrow like a pimp on "Boys." Stuff like that.