IGN's thoughts on the limited edition

strikerdarkstrikerdark Unsigned
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/102/1022711p1.html

they basically think the bundle is a rip-off and that people should buy the individual game and separate GUITAR HERO guitars instead of getting the beatles instruments. Also the score for the limited edition was bumped down to an 8.0 instead of the 9.0 the regular game got last week

Comments

• jgoshjgosh Super Star
    edited September 2009
  • OakTeaOakTea Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Rip off if you already have the RB2 instruments, but a great opportunity for me to upgrade. I'm still using RB1 instruments, and the ones that came with the PS2 bundle at that!
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Wow. How unabashedly biased. I have no idea what he means by "loose buttons" (a good review may have explained exactly what the problem was), but to equate personal distaste of the feel of the strum bar with "functionality so mediocre" and "it play[ing] poorly" is pretty absurd. Whoever wrote that excerpt obviously doesn't even tolerate using first-party Rock Band peripherals to begin with. What exactly was he really expecting from these?

But it was so nice of him to "warn" people about getting the bundle with the reasoning of, "it costs a lot and the guitars don't work exactly like the Guitar Hero controllers I'm used to - oh, and I didn't like the way the drums looked so I'm not even going to comment on how they function." :rolleyes:

If anyone got ripped off, it was me reading that review, na
  • mva5580mva5580 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    That review was beyond pathetic. I'm all for giving reasons why you don't like something but that seriously read like someone on Gamefaqs. What a joke.
  • WildSubnetWildSubnet Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    that was not a review. I'm not sure what that was exactly. But Hilary hated the RB2 instruments too so this shouldn't be a surprise.
  • DoctorTran37DoctorTran37 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    This is why I don't respect IGN.
  • MecklerMeckler Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    i dont give a f about the review. still getting mine.
  • Chewie7213Chewie7213 Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Meckler;3015825 said:
    i dont give a f about the review. still getting mine.
    Me Too! Going to pick mine up in 70 mins!
  • RADIO CHRISRADIO CHRIS Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I can't wait to get my LE Bundle tomorrow
  • ZorbaruZorbaru Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    the comment was that the beatles bundle is $60 more because of the beatles license and the fact that there has been no improvement over the RB2 instruments.

and of course its going to be biased, its a freaking review. definition: opinion. some people are just far too precious.
  • guitaranddrumgod1978guitaranddrumgod1978 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Gettin' mine at 7:00 am PST. I was originally gonna get the bundle, but financial difficulties leave me with the game as my only option. :(

I will be picking up an extra microphone, so my (almost) 4 year old son and I can sing the harmonies together. He wants to sing Here Comes The Sun, then he says I can play from the beginning. Best day of the year if you ask me. Can't wait to play the game.

On topic........ yeah the review was pretty lame. A lot of it seems like it was lifted straight from other reviews I've read, like verbatim. Typical "the setlist is only 45 songs" & "the difficulty isn't that hard" type stuff. Yet thereis no mention of the DLC yet to come, and I play RB for the experience, not for some button mashing fest for the most difficult songs.
  • geo2n2geo2n2 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    IGN is awful when it comes to music games. Ever since their "interview" where they did nothing but push for their favorite bands as DLC, their coverage is opinionated, childish, and worthless.

His take on the guitar is silly.

However, I do agree you're paying a premium for the Beatles name with this bundle and it's no where near the same value as the RB2 set + Bealtes game you can get easily for ~$100 less.
  • BoboBxBoboBx Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    The only "problem" I feel is that the drum head comes folded and looks like its gonna be winkled forever...
    Can't play till later...****
  • procerusprocerus Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I love the new instruments. The drums are a huge step up for me from the RB1 set, and despite taking some getting used to, the Hofner is also great.
  • Cpt. OverkillCpt. Overkill (Briefly) Touched by a Banhammer
    edited September 2009
    Who gives a **** what IGN thinks? As long as we enjoy the game and instruments, it doesn't ****ing matter if they gave the game a 2.
  • AbcmsajAbcmsaj Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Ditto. IGN can bite me, the LE pack is amazing. Especially if you've never had a full band pack before.
  • LikeMikeLikeMike Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I actually understand them. You basically pay 60$ more for a Mic stand and a prettier guitar. That´s a lot of money.

I have only played with the new guitar (although it wasn`t the bass, it was Harrisons guitar) once at Gamescom I totally understand his gripe about the new instruments. For me they felt pretty loose and cheap plastic. I really expected more from them. For me the GH Les Paul still is the best feeling guitar out there.

But of course that`s a matter of personal taste.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited September 2009
    Wait, what? They dropped the game an entire point because of the bundle that it comes in?

I'm going to be watching IGN's reviews with hawk eyes when DJ Hero and Band Hero come out.
  • LikeMikeLikeMike Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    No, they didn`t drop the game 1 point, they dropped the limited edition one point.
    edited September 2009
    LikeMike;3016182 said:
    No, they didn`t drop the game 1 point, they dropped the limited edition one point.
    That's the problem, yeah. Based on their rating scales are all gameplay-based, I don't understand how they came to drop the game an entire point out of ten just for not liking the price or contents of the bundle.

But I'm a teacher and have had to take classes on justifications of grading. This may bother me more than other people.
  • HohoOfDoomHohoOfDoom Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Guys guys GUYS. Calm down!

IGN is clearly not tailoring their review on the obsessive fans at the official Rock band forums, who have gone out of their way to pre-order the most expensive possible pack months and months ago. They are catering to the average video game fan, and the extremely simple fact remains that to your average fan the set really is not worth the price.

To John Q. Halo Fan, what difference does it make if his drums look like Ringo's? To guys like us, it makes a world of difference. I think IGN's review was fair and informative to those on the fence, and to pretend like you're mad for any other reason than simply because he's being critical of our darling is just as childish, petty, and biased as your'e claiming his review to be.
    edited September 2009
    HohoOfDoom;3016223 said:
    IGN is clearly not tailoring their review on the obsessive fans at the official Rock band forums, who have gone out of their way to pre-order the most expensive possible pack months and months ago. They are catering to the average video game fan, and the extremely simple fact remains that to your average fan the set really is not worth the price.
    I agree with that and find it reasonable. My main problem is the fact that they decided to use the review scale for individual elements just like the last game, instead of just linking to the older review.

I'm just finding it difficult to accept a review scale that has evidently no correlation between the individual scores and final score, as denoted by the "not an average" at the bottom. Theoretically, the could give a game 9's in all categories, and then a 1 overall if they just plain didn't like it for some uncategorical reason.
  • ElvisRockerElvisRocker Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    This is part of the reason why (having never owned GH or RB but having pre-ordered TB:RB LE Bundle after a long consideration should I go the GH5 guitar/drum and GH:Metallica -route) Harmonix seems such a weird company.

I mean everyone says Rock Band -games are of much higher quality than Guitar Hero -games. Yet GH is outselling RB, and a large part of it is that other then the US RB games are hard to get (I live in Europe and we still don't have RB2 instruments and the game was releases months and months after the US release). Everyone here is so obsessed about RB and yet it is an overwhealming opinion that RB1 instruments are pretty much the worst kit available.

And now, take this IGN review. The appreciation that HMX gets is at its peak and everything about them says that TB:RB is going to be a lovechild with max quality. Yet now we are getting reports of the Wii version being inferior in too many ways to PS3 and X360 and that the instruments aren't that good. I mean I'm not saying that this is the truth but it makes you wonder why HMX is getting such mixed reviews.

I mean these guitars cost $99 and they are clearly inferior to GH models (according to IGN)? How can this be? How can such a praised company with such a hyped up game like TB:RB produce controllers that are not at least moderately likes by everyone?

I guess this is why many people are scared of buying RB-games. They see your hype but they also see all the reports of bad RB instruments. Of course the compability issue with GH doesn't help either.
  • SilverHammerOn.SilverHammerOn. Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    geo2n2;3015897 said:
    IGN is awful when it comes to music games. Ever since their "interview" where they did nothing but push for their favorite bands as DLC, their coverage is opinionated, childish, and worthless.

His take on the guitar is silly.

However, I do agree you're paying a premium for the Beatles name with this bundle and it's no where near the same value as the RB2 set + Bealtes game you can get easily for ~$100 less.
    I would agree with this, but the RB2 Instruments are not sold in the UK.
    I'm looking forward to the LE bundles...£150 is about right for the set. A wireless Mic would of been cool though.
  • LockheedLockheed Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Take reviews from others with a grain of salt. Everyone has their own opinion, some just write it for magazines.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited September 2009
    I'm getting the limited edition. I love the strat, by far my favorite guitar, so I'm glad they didn't change it. IGN have hated the strat from day one, so I take their opinion on it with a grain of salt. I also really need the mic stand and mic. The only thing I have no use for is the drum set, but I have a friend who does, so it's useful too.
  • mobhit101mobhit101 Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    I agree. Unless you still have RB1 instruments and are in (serious) need of an upgrade, the price is ridiculous. They could have at least thrown in another guitar. Even a wired one...
  • gamrrpolgamrrpol Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I find the review to be balanced and reasonable. He's basically saying:

1) consumers are paying a premium for the LE version
    2) the quality of the peripherals has not improved much over RB2, which many (including myself) found to be lacking in quality compared to some others available

Those claiming this review is "terrible" or biased are just TB:RB romanticists unable to accept any criticism.
  • EhfahqEhfahq Headliner
    edited September 2009
    Rip off?

60 - game
    90 - drumset
    100 - guitar
    20 - mic
    15 - stand.

From where im standing thats a 35 dollar discount.
  • GundampilotspazGundampilotspaz Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Ehfahq;3016789 said:
    Rip off?

60 - game
    90 - drumset
    100 - guitar
    20 - mic
    15 - stand.

From where im standing thats a 35 dollar discount.
    However, the original Rock Band 2 bundle is on amazon for $98 right now.