Hofner 500/1 Criticism

ddaydjddaydj Unsigned
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Okay, so I'm gonna start with the life threatening issue before I get to my nitpicking about this new guitar. The sides of the guitar are pretty much sharp 90 degree angles. With the way that I hold the guitar, it cuts into my arm about 4" above my wrist. After playing for about an 30 minutes my hand was numb. I'm gonna look around online and experiment with holding the guitar a different way, but the way I've been comfortable with playing for the last 4 years will end with me short one hand I think. If all else fails I still have my Fender Stratocaster to fall back on.

Nitpicking! I'm gonna blame the added depth on this, but tilting the guitar is somewhat difficult when I'm singing. My hand usually ends up hitting the mic stand or something. I haven't gotten use to the position of the Select button yet so that hasn't become a viable alternative.

Its longer by about 6", which actually is probably a good thing since I'm taller and have a longer arm reach. Nevermind, we'll put this as a plus. ^^

The impressions on the frets seems to make it harder for me to do transitions. Again probably something I just need to get use to. Overall the first 10 songs I played tonight I did worst that I expected and I think a lot of it was the new guitar. I'll try again tomorrow with the Stratocaster after I've gotten some sleep and see how that goes.

Appearance wise though, it looks awesome and is as far from the plastic toys we started out with that I've ever seen.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to hold the guitar so it doesn't cut off circulation?

Comments

• BeelzebossBeelzeboss Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    its a bass it should be longer, i didn't have any life threatening issues
  • chrth_rbchrth_rb Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I had a problem with the guitar back in the GH2 days on the PS2. My solution was to wear a wristband at the point of contact (GH80s was kind enough to supply one)
  • shrike13shrike13 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Well, let me be the first to offer: if it gets unbearable I'd be willing to take it off your hands for a reasonable price. :)
  • DaytripDaytrip Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Are you playing guitar or bass with it? When I first got the Mad Catz bass it took a while to get used to it. Now I have to switch back to the strat to play guitar. The longer scale makes it more difficult to move around on the fret buttons.
  • Flan26Flan26 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    How are you holding the guitar that it even touches your wrist? I'm having a hard time picturing this... is it your your strumming hand, or your fretting hand?

If its your strumming hand and you're resting that on the top of the guitar, you can try lowering the guitar so your arm is hanging, not resting.

If it's your fretting hand, I could only imagine that its the headstock that is cutting into your wrist and you're attacking the frets from a 90 degree angle (perpendicular to the neck), and that's just wrong.
  • MandervilMandervil Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I'm having exactly the same problem as you!! It's not the wrist touching the bass, it's the arm (the forearm, exactly)

I will try putting a wristband on my forearm, it sounds like a good solution...
  • justintimeROAjustintimeROA Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I didn't read the wall of text, but if you don't like it you can always give it to me :)
  • DaytripDaytrip Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    justintimeROA;3016417 said:
    I didn't read the wall of text, but if you don't like it you can always give it to me :)
    wow, it's pretty bad when you can't be bothered to read a few short paragraphs but can muster up the energy to make such a helpful comment.
  • karaokefreakkaraokefreak Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Hey dude.. can't help you with the edges, but if you have problems activating the beatlemania (overdrive), i can give you a pretty neat hint.

Take the bassdrum pedal you got with the drums and plug it into the jack on the bottom of your bass - right beside the home / guide button.

Now all you need to do is step on the pedal and beatlemania will be activated. Looks cool and is easy to do, You can use the same trick with the second edition statocaster.

However, I advise you to get a cable extension first, because the bassdrum cable is rather short.
  • ScopitoneScopitone Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    It was too small for my 6'5" frame when I played it at E3 but I'm still getting the bundle BUT I'll most likely go back to my Fender bass. Hell...I should get the new wireless version...
  • edited September 2009
    ddaydj;3016114 said:
    Okay, so I'm gonna start with the life threatening issue before I get to my nitpicking about this new guitar. The sides of the guitar are pretty much sharp 90 degree angles. With the way that I hold the guitar, it cuts into my arm about 4" above my wrist. After playing for about an 30 minutes my hand was numb. I'm gonna look around online and experiment with holding the guitar a different way, but the way I've been comfortable with playing for the last 4 years will end with me short one hand I think. If all else fails I still have my Fender Stratocaster to fall back on.

Nitpicking! I'm gonna blame the added depth on this, but tilting the guitar is somewhat difficult when I'm singing. My hand usually ends up hitting the mic stand or something. I haven't gotten use to the position of the Select button yet so that hasn't become a viable alternative.

Its longer by about 6", which actually is probably a good thing since I'm taller and have a longer arm reach. Nevermind, we'll put this as a plus. ^^

The impressions on the frets seems to make it harder for me to do transitions. Again probably something I just need to get use to. Overall the first 10 songs I played tonight I did worst that I expected and I think a lot of it was the new guitar. I'll try again tomorrow with the Stratocaster after I've gotten some sleep and see how that goes.

Appearance wise though, it looks awesome and is as far from the plastic toys we started out with that I've ever seen.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to hold the guitar so it doesn't cut off circulation?
    Weird. In all the playtest and demos we've done for TB:RB so far I've never heard of this. Can you pass along a picture to show how you hold the bass? I'm picturing your wrist resting on the top of the body.

As for playability, I'm willing to be you're just getting used to the longer neck. It took me a while to adjust to the spacing as well, but now I prefer it over the strat. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll start to feel more comfortable. I hope that helps!
  • ddaydjddaydj Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Thanks for all the suggestions, especially the one about plugging in a bass pedal for overdrive. I couldn't get a decent picture of myself holding the bass, and when people were over yesterday we were a little to busy playing and having fun to worry about it. What I ended up doing was swiping the strap off the Gibson X-Plorer which is probably a good 8" longer than the ones that Rock Band has come with. Using that I was able to hang the bass lower where it felt more comfortable for my height and now I'm not having any problems. Thanks for everyone's feedback.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited September 2009
    how the hell are you holding it
  • jmohr1jmohr1 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    You know, I read the OP yesterday and was in the "how the hell can you hold the bass like that anyways" group...

Then had people over last night; one of the girls showed off a wicked grove in her forearm after playing a few songs. She was sitting with a decent forward lean causing the bass to rest on her thigh and her arm pressed between her chest and the top of the bass. Her solution, just stand up, worked like a charm.
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    HMXHenry;3016717 said:
    Weird. In all the playtest and demos we've done for TB:RB so far I've never heard of this. Can you pass along a picture to show how you hold the bass? I'm picturing your wrist resting on the top of the body.
    I'll try and get a picture of the way I play it, but it sounds like the OP is up against the same issues I face. I play guitars (including the Hofner, Gretsch and Les Paul with the underside of my forearm resting against the top of the controller, my thumb against the top of the strumbar, and the rest of my fingers either pressed against the pickguard or looped around under the bottom of the guitar (I'll pull the fingers back up for alt-strum sections.) I wear something on my arm to cushion against the sharp edge.

Ironically, pre-Beatles I could have gotten away from this with the Strat, but I could never seem to adjust to it. Post-TBRB, the controller I play best with is the Gretsch, which also has a sharp edge. Ah well, there we are. I don't have a problem either way because the controllers appear to be accurate reflections of what the actual instruments are.