Give me your honest opinion: Should I get TB:RB?

OnAFridayOnAFriday Rising Star
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Looking at the videos and previews for this game.... it looks REALLY good. The ONLY reason that I haven't purchased it yet: I really don't care too much for The Beatles.

Before you start flaming me, let me just say that I am familiar with their music, and I have tried REALLY hard to start liking their music, especially in anticipation of this game. I have very wide musical tastes, so it really surprises me that I am not into a band as iconic as The Beatles.

I own all of their music, and have been trying to listen to it for weeks in a vain attempt to fall in love with their music.... but I have only found maybe 10-12 tracks that I enjoy. The rest is MEH at best IMHO.

That said... the game looks incredible. I am a hardcore Harmonix/Rock Band fan, and am tempted to buy this game just to support them..... but I just don't think I will enjoy it at all!!! I considered buying it just for friends that come over and might want to play... but I dont think any of my friends like The Beatles either. =(

So... is there anyone out there that wasn't really into The Beatles' music but bought the game anyway and was SHOCKED by how much they enjoyed it???

Someone PLEASE give me an excuse to buy this game!

Comments

• jgoshjgosh Super Star
    edited September 2009
    Yes, best rhythm game ever.
  • GryffindorGryffindor Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Rent it and then decide for yourself.
  • mysfarbrormysfarbror Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    the dreamscapes are pretty pretty
  • JglaubmanJglaubman Headliner
    edited September 2009
    Get the game only. At worst, you can play the 10-12 songs you like. At best, you could become a Beatles fan.
  • CONAN9845CONAN9845 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    If you don't like the music, then I'd have to say no. It's only going to be Beatles songs.
  • chrth_rbchrth_rb Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    You're on the fence so ... you might want to rent first. Honestly. $60 isn't peanuts. And if you're not a Beatles fan, you might not care about the extras or dreamscapes.

Although you might want to talk to your playing friends just to verify they aren't big Beatles fans. They might surprise you.
  • JoshVanHalen87JoshVanHalen87 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Gryffindor;3016852 said:
    Rent it and then decide for yourself.
    this
  • Victory10Victory10 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    OnAFriday;3016847 said:
    Looking at the videos and previews for this game.... it looks REALLY good. The ONLY reason that I haven't purchased it yet: I really don't care too much for The Beatles.

I would rent or try out a copy first.
  • MoireadMoiread Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I didn't care for most of the on-disk songs for any music game when they first came out (I have all of them except GH: Aerosmith) but most of them were fun to play and have grown on me.

If you have the disposable income, you should get it. People surprise themselves every day. :)
  • thedoorsdkthedoorsdk Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I feel pretty much the exact same way you do about The Beatles (love a handful of songs, the rest strike me as painfully average/uninteresting). I'm still very tempted to buy this game though, if only to check out the dreamscapes/art design. Plus, the harmonies would be fun.
    BUT I say give it a rent or find a friend with it and then see. If you can't replay songs a lot and still have fun with them, you'll probably tire of the 45 song setlist pretty quick.
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited September 2009
    Best bet is to rent it if you can, or even head to Best Buy or something similar and see if they still have it set up for demo. That will give you an idea for game play at least. I enjoy the Beatles, I will be getting this game. They're by far not my favorite band... but I think all in all it will be a lot of fun.

Also from what I understand if you are a 'hardcore' gamer looking to burn your fingers flying around the frets, then forget it. This just isn't that type of game.
  • vcalzonevcalzone Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    Definitely rent first.

But also, listen to some of the classic albums first if you want to understand the appeal of the music. White Album was the first one that grew on me, but Revolver is their best straight-up rock album. If you try to listen to it all at once, you'll never get into it. Ditto if you start with their early stuff, which is a product of an era that doesn't fit nearly as well into modern music.
  • RoofTopRookieRoofTopRookie Opening Act
    edited September 2009
  • vcalzonevcalzone Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    In fact, allow me to suggest songs (in no real order):
    She Said She Said
    Dear Prudence
    And Your Bird Can Sing
    Eleanor Rigby
    Julia (after learning the meaning of the song)
    I Want To Tell You
    I'm So Tired
    Tomorrow Never Knows
    Rocky Raccoon
    In My Life
    A Day In the Life (listened to really loudly)
  • rayrox222rayrox222 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    OnAFriday;3016847 said:

Before you start flaming me, let me just say that I am familiar with their music, and I have tried REALLY hard to start liking their music, especially in anticipation of this game. I have very wide musical tastes, so it really surprises me that I am not into a band as iconic as The Beatles.

I own all of their music, and have been trying to listen to it for weeks in a vain attempt to fall in love with their music.... but I have only found maybe 10-12 tracks that I enjoy. The rest is MEH at best IMHO.

That said... the game looks incredible. I am a hardcore Harmonix/Rock Band fan, and am tempted to buy this game just to support them..... but I just don't think I will enjoy it at all!!! I considered buying it just for friends that come over and might want to play... but I dont think any of my friends like The Beatles either. =(

So... is there anyone out there that wasn't really into The Beatles' music but bought the game anyway and was SHOCKED by how much they enjoyed it???

If you're not into their music and have tried to be, unless you think interacting with the music in a video game will change that, why spend the money on something you wouldn't enjoy? I think it will be great at parties increasing the max players from 4-6 and vocal harmonies are just freaking awesome. I think a lot of people who normally wouldn't care for the beatles will get into them more just for the fun of trying to sing in tune with friends.

There's a certain magnetism to the graphics and presentation of the game that really drew me in and got me listening to and enjoying the Beatles' music which before the game trailers I wasn't that into Beatles to be honest. I think my enthusiasm with their music is only going to escalate when I get to interact with their music playing and/or singing along as I, like you, thoroughly enjoy the rock band series. I guess the difference between us is the level of interest in the Beatles' music. I've gotten into them. You have not.

I don't see why you would given what you've said, and unless your friends like to play rock band with you and are interested in the truly novel and awesome feature of this game that is the three part harmony vocals option, seems to me you're better off saving your money for RB2 DLC for music you'd want to play since you do not like the Beatles.
  • rayrox222rayrox222 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    chrth_rb;3016869 said:

Although you might want to talk to your playing friends just to verify they aren't big Beatles fans. They might surprise you.
    Haha I think this is a great point actually. I live with a couple of friends who play rock band with me and I brought up TB:RB to the one who was into older classic rock stuff thinking surely he'd be stoked about it but he was kinda meh about the Beatles. My other friend's a total metal head who loves drumming and playing bass for all of Rock band's technically challenging songs and I was so sure he wouldn't like the Beatles I didn't bring the game up but the other day we were talking about recent DLC for rock band 2 and he was like "you know what you should get The Beatles: Rock Band" and I was shocked this metal fan would've loved the Beatles but turns out he grew up on them and has tons of respect for their music :) Shows how much I know about my friends! lol
  • esquehillesquehill Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    The darn game is full of Beatles songs;
    and the Hofner bass is right-handed.
    What were they thinking? ;)
  • geo2n2geo2n2 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Jglaubman;3016860 said:
    Get the game only. At worst, you can play the 10-12 songs you like. At best, you could become a Beatles fan.
    I'm in the same boat as the OP, and I agree with this. Plus, this was pretty costly for HMX. I'm going to bite the bullet and support them on this because I don't want to see them take a huge loss on this and put future RB support or plans in jeopardy.
  • zepplinmikezepplinmike Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    You should buy the game and don't stop playing until the Beatles are your favorite band.
  • batallerbataller Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    OnAFriday;3016847 said:
    I had the same reaction at first, but musically they really do grow on you.
  • Jordan10laJordan10la Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    rayrox222;3017228 said:
    Haha I think this is a great point actually. I live with a couple of friends who play rock band with me and I brought up TB:RB to the one who was into older classic rock stuff thinking surely he'd be stoked about it but he was kinda meh about the Beatles. My other friend's a total metal head who loves drumming and playing bass for all of Rock band's technically challenging songs and I was so sure he wouldn't like the Beatles I didn't bring the game up but the other day we were talking about recent DLC for rock band 2 and he was like "you know what you should get The Beatles: Rock Band" and I was shocked this metal fan would've loved the Beatles but turns out he grew up on them and has tons of respect for their music :) Shows how much I know about my friends! lol
    True, I'm a huge fan of grunge an' the like but I love the entire Beatles catalogue.
  • MTS badillinMTS badillin Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    YES, buy it and all the DLC when it comes available...
  • BernieBernie Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    YES, buy it and all the dlc when it becomes available at a later date........I have no great interest in Beatles music but the set list is ACE! The graphics on my XBox are superb as well.
  • shyling3164shyling3164 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    since you dont really care for the beatles, just give it a rent. i have it and love every song ive played so far.
  • DroosiesDroosies Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    OnAFriday;3016847 said:

Let me put it to you this way...if you're not a Beatles fan, this game will DEFINTIELY get you into them. It covers everything from their pop-rock beginnings with songs like "Twist and Shout" and "Do You Want To Know A Secret" to their harder rock songs like "Helter Skelter" and "Revolution".

Add in that some of the bands most noticeable hits (Strawberry Fields Forever, Help!, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Eleanor Rigby, Penny Lane, Across The Universe, I've Just Seen A Face just to name a few) and it gives you a great sampling of just what the Beatles offer.
  • RobyBangRobyBang Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I'm a fan of the Beatles, but I'm planning on waiting until the price drops. If I wait until it's like $30-50, 45 on disk songs won't seem so little for the money and by then, there should be plenty of DLC to choose from.
  • edited September 2009
    Honestly, I never cared for The Beatles at all before we started development of the game. Back in the early days of doing demos, we only had three songs on the build (I Feel Fine, Get Back and Here Comes The Sun) and we would have to play them dozens of times a day, over and over again... but I never got sick of them. After that I picked up all the cds we had in house as reference and I got hooked.

Beyond that, I think this is the best work our artists have ever done. And if you've enjoyed the previous games that we've worked on, well then I'd be willing to bet you'll love this one too.

And even if you decide not to give the game a shot, at the very least check out an album or two by The Beatles. I can't believe I avoided them for this long, and I've got the rest of the crew here at HMX to thank for getting me into them.
  • trench762trench762 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I've never been much of a beatles fan, but I am kind of a hippie, so I was in love with the game from around the 3rd setlist on. Alot of songs are fun and challenging, maybe not the same kind of challenging as visions, the challenge is in trying to fc the songs or play and sing. But if you've listened to alot of beatles and you just don't like them, you probably won't enjoy the game. I had only heard a couple of albums and singles before the game, I've definately found alot of beatles songs I didn't know I liked from this game.
  • illgreenillgreen Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
  • therealdokkstherealdokks Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Rent it first. My honest opinion is that it's awfully expensive for the tiny bit of content.