Auto Calibration

TheCulpritTheCulprit Opening Act
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
So this is the first time I've had a RB2 style guitar that does the auto calibrate thing. I did it just for the achievement even though I play on a plain old regular TV (you remember the old square ones?) out of it's own speakers, and yet my results came up with a 7ms audio lag and a 9ms video lag.

Is this normal or should I turn the calibration off back to 0. I mean, RB2 never gave me any problems. I do just fine on that. And while, everything seems lined up now TB:RB, I feel like I'm missing some HO/POs I would normally get. It could be me trying to get used to the new look and feel of the game though.

Any advice?

Comments

• Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited September 2009
    Leave it as is. I usually calibrate 2-3 times to get an idea of the real range (occasionally, one of the numbers will be way off).

Chances are, that's accurate, and while you may not have noticed it, RB2 probably has a similar setup. ~10 ms isn't bad enough that you couldn't have simply gotten used to it.
  • ADBjesterADBjester Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    TheCulprit;3017710 said:
    So this is the first time I've had a RB2 style guitar that does the auto calibrate thing. I did it just for the achievement even though I play on a plain old regular TV (you remember the old square ones?) out of it's own speakers, and yet my results came up with a 7ms audio lag and a 9ms video lag.

Is this normal or should I turn the calibration off back to 0. I mean, RB2 never gave me any problems. I do just fine on that. And while, everything seems lined up now TB:RB, I feel like I'm missing some HO/POs I would normally get. It could be me trying to get used to the new look and feel of the game though.

Any advice?
    BTW, for those manually calibrating, do NOT just plug your numbers from RB2 into TB:RB. The baseline is different, and you can expect your audio number to be around 60-70 ms LOWER than it was in RB2.

Jester
  • merlin-harpomerlin-harpo Unsigned
    edited September 2009
  • TheCulpritTheCulprit Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Ugh. Now I'm more frustrated than ever.

I reset the calibration (against advice) just to test it. It seemed fine, but I still missed occassional HOs that I should have gotten.

So I tried manual calibration. The numbers were WAY different. Aud -47ms and Vid 16ms

I tried that. It seemed fine but with a few HO missed... (deja vu)

Then I redid the autocal and got a new number though similar to before
    Aud 5ms, Vid 9ms (again)

So far, this setting has yielded the best results, but i still missed stuff.

Mostly, they all seem the same. I can't tell a difference.

And I don't know if I'm trained to play a little late or what. I feel like when I stare that I'm hitting the notes a little too early, like just as they're approaching the bottom, but I can't tell!

This is frustrating...
  • WildSubnetWildSubnet Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    I did a manual calibration after the auto last night and did quite a bit better. My son was complaining he was missing notes he'd normally hit, too but he was asleep after the manual calibration. I'm just wondering if should reset it to 0. I don't remember doing this for RB2 and GH always shows "0" for me (I know, different games).
  • DeusTrinitasDeusTrinitas Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Calibration has always been a bane for me in each of the Rock Band games. No matter what I do, I can't ever seem to get it perfect.
  • jrinckjrinck Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    DeusTrinitas;3022167 said:
    Calibration has always been a bane for me in each of the Rock Band games. No matter what I do, I can't ever seem to get it perfect.
    Rock Band's routine is way better than Guitar Hero's. For Smash Hits, I couldn't get the numbers to be consistent from one run to the next, so I took the GHWT and GH:M numbers, then picked halfway marks in-between and manually entered them for Smash Hits. That seemed to work! :D
  • PCTraitorPCTraitor Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    I highly recommend the auto calibration guitars. I never have a problem now even if I am playing on my brother in laws plasma.