OK HMX, you win, I cave / my synopsis

Weatherman81Weatherman81 Opening Act
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
So I wasnt going to buy solely for the fact that it's not xcompatible with other tracks and games but being a long time beatles fan (my late uncle got me into them when I was 11) I decided what the hell. First off I think it's kinda lame that you cant freestyle on drums anymore, at the begining or to initiate an overdrive. Also, I went straight to the hardest songs in the game because while I'm no real drummer by any stretch of the imagination I always kinda felt like their songs were pretty easy for the most part. I gold starred back in the ussr on my first try and got a slash short of 5 stars on I feel fine (i think). So that kinda sucks to a degree that there's really nothing to challenging. I'm also a little bummed about the lack of abundant drum rolls or fills if you will. All in all I'm a lil bit of a bumout about it simply for the fact that since we cant add any tracks that arent beatles, eventually the game will be maxed out with variety and having that lack of challenging songs means it will prolly be shelved in a few months.

Now, the good news.... Incredibly beautiful is pretty much an understatement... HMX should be proud of what theyve done here, and it is a good homage to one of the most influential bands in history. The pure vividness of every thing in this game is beyond astounding. There are so many incredible subtleties in this game it blows my mind. From the crowd of girls screaming to the splices of real historic audio and video mixed with the game to the most minute details of the art inspired by the music. I dont know how any true beatles fan could not love this game. Havent had it long enough to really explore all of the different aspects of the gameplay, i.e. online, challenges, etc. but it doesnt seem to be too dramatically different from other games out there. I will say that if I was metallica and I played this game, then played the game that red octane / activision made for my band, I'd be pretty pissed and feel pretty jipped.... play them both and you'll understand really quick. Final summation: Incredibly beautiful artistic game created by HMX, but lacks staying power due to lack of overall variety and challenges. 7/10 stars here, and BTW 6 of those stars come from the presentation of the game itself. Thanks and asamanaleka my bretheren!!!! xoxoxoxo

Comments

• JSchmidt85JSchmidt85 Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    can't play them for the lack of challenge.... being a beatles fan you should have known the game was going to fairly simple
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited September 2009
    Um... Why would you want OR EXPECT to play your other songs in TBRB?
  • pupsdaddypupsdaddy Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Seriously, you can't blame anyone but the Beatles themselves for the lack of challenge. Did you expect HMX to add in a lot of stuff that wasn't in the songs or something?

Having said that, I really appreciate that the songs aren't very difficult. This allows me to sing and play at the same time, and it also allows me to enjoy the visuals (which are, as you pointed out, stunning). If there was a blizzard of tier 6 notes flying at me, look at all I'd miss in the background!

The easier parts also allow you to really appreciate the musicianship and the way the songs are crafted. Each part is fairly easy by itself, but they fit together to make a wonderfully textured, well-crafted song. It's no wonder that these songs are still being bought and played decades after their original release. Very very few bands ever have that kind of staying power... and those that do rely not so much on insanely difficult playing, but on superior melodies and song craftsmanship. When you get over being disappointed at the low level of difficulty, really take a listen to what you're playing and savor the nuances of it all.
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited September 2009
    Beatles aren't really 'hard core' rockers... so to expect an extremely finger flying challenge... well, this wouldn't be the game for you.
  • oRabbitoRabbit Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    pupsdaddy;3018467 said:

Having said that, I really appreciate that the songs aren't very difficult. This allows me to sing and play at the same time, and it also allows me to enjoy the visuals (which are, as you pointed out, stunning).
    This....I've never tried to sing and play at the same time and I'm very, very excited to do so with this game.
    Weatherman81;3018230 said:
    I will say that if I was metallica and I played this game, then played the game that red octane / activision made for my band, I'd be pretty pissed and feel pretty jipped....
    Hilarious and an actually really good point that should be made very clear. This isn't a half-hearted-make-more-money-quick scheme.
  • BarnesyJr48BarnesyJr48 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Lack of a challenge?

I must be worse than I thought...

Cos I really do have blisters on mah fingers lol!
  • sgt_melinsgt_melin Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    I think this game are rather hard, I have trubel with hard, I guess old players with gutarr hero and stuff find this game easy, my son did play on expert in the game and he said it was to easy...so i guess that many player do not think this game is to easy..only hard core gutare hero player =)
  • wb22ruleswb22rules Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    It seemed to me in the few minutes I have tried it that the speed the notes come down the chart is slower than RB2. I usually play guitar on hard or expert depending on the difficulty and in Beatles RB the expert songs seemed to be only slighty faster than hard in RB2. The hard songs in Beatles RB seemed slow as hell. I havent tried turning on the superspeed (or whatever it is called) feature in the options yet. It seems like Beatles RB will be overall a bit easier than RB2, but considering this game is more likely to be popular when you have guests over who may not have played much this is probably by design, not accident. I am horrible at vocals, smoker for too long, so I cant guage if the vocals are easier or not, I just messed with it long enough to confirm all three mikes worked and the used one I bought performed like the others. When me and my sons play we will be playing RB2 mostly, when guests come over we can throw everybody a mike or a guitar and load the Beatles :D