What the serial number on the manual is *really* for...

Ebsy81Ebsy81 Unsigned
edited September 2009 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Well, it's been confirmed in the sticky that the number on the back of TB:RB manual is an unassuming "serial number"...is this an attempt by Harmonix at cracking (*ahem*) down on piracy?

My guess is when you submit a score/play online with TB:RB your unique serial gets sent to their servers...this way they can identify the people who are playing the game who haven't bought it.

(also they can figure out who rips and torrents both this and any future RB titles...I'm sure there's at least a couple of people reading this who now need a change of underwear.)

What do you think?.

Comments

• ChaosraidenChaosraiden Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Makes more sense then 'We just slap codes on like sunscreen'
  • TheObscureTheObscure Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    So? Pirates can play offline.
  • Ebsy81Ebsy81 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Sounds like they'll have to from now on.
  • jmohr1jmohr1 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    But each disc is pressed the same. There is no info you could sent to HMX until you type that # in somewhere...
  • JSchmidt85JSchmidt85 Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    jmohr1;3018741 said:
    But each disc is pressed the same. There is no info you could sent to HMX until you type that # in somewhere...
    this guy is correct
  • Ebsy81Ebsy81 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    Well, you'd think so. But HMX have said they're "serializing their games from now on"...why would they just serialize the manual?...hmmm...
  • C-Pr0mptC-Pr0mpt Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    You people... It's obviously there for a reason. Either they just don't want to tell you what that reason is....or possible the reason doesn't even exist yet... They may have put it there just in case they do something in the future that requires it. Who cares. Worry about it when there's an actual purpose for it. For now, just play the game.
  • Ebsy81Ebsy81 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    C-Pr0mpt;3018774 said:
    ...Either they just don't want to tell you what that reason is....or possible the reason doesn't even exist yet...
    Well, that's kind of why I started this thread, to discuss it.
  • m85021m85021 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Ebsy81;3018756 said:
    Well, you'd think so. But HMX have said they're "serializing their games from now on"...why would they just serialize the manual?...hmmm...
    They've pressed millions of copies of this game.
    Do you have any idea how long that would've taken if the 'master disc' had to be updated with an unique serial number each time?

Pleeeeze.
  • Ebsy81Ebsy81 Unsigned
    edited September 2009
    m85021;3018819 said:
    They've pressed millions of copies of this game.
    Do you have any idea how long that would've taken if the 'master disc' had to be updated with an unique serial number each time?

Pleeeeze.
    I know what you mean but they've printed millions of manuals too, each with a unique serial. It's the same logic only applied to the actual DVD of the game.

Both my manual and your manual were printed from the same 'master' but we have unique serials, why can't that be true of our game DVDs too?
  • mrpoopsymrpoopsy Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    Ebsy81;3018863 said:
    I know what you mean but they've printed millions of manuals too, each with a unique serial. It's the same logic only applied to the actual DVD of the game.

Both my manual and your manual were printed from the same 'master' but we have unique serials, why can't that be true of our game DVDs too?
    because for each burn the source code of the DVD would need to be different.

and thats not happening
  • m85021m85021 Road Warrior
    edited September 2009
    Ebsy81;3018863 said:

*blink*
    I so give up on this one.
  • sandswipesandswipe Rising Star
    edited September 2009
    I bet it has to do with that ethernet looking port on the GH2 Xbox guitars and the fifth port on the back of the drumsets!
  • johnnymac949johnnymac949 Opening Act
    edited September 2009
    It is possible that if the game doesn't sell as much or as fast as they want, they can use the code to allow a ONE TIME import into RB. I suspect that some folks have sold off all other RB1/GHx games and are sticking with the latest RB and would like to import The Beatles, even at full price, if given a chance. Not that _I_ am interested in this....
  • vengveng HMX Alumni
    edited September 2009
    Crazy rumors breed craziness, guys.
This discussion has been closed.